Brighton Marathon 2018

KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Spring Marathon
Is there a Brighton marathon 2018 thread? I couldn't find one.

If so can someone point me to it. If not I guess this can be it!

Comments

• Not much response. I am running it
  • Not much response. I am running it
    Perhaps it's a bit too soon? Can't believe we are the only ones doing it :)
  • Brighton 2017 was great!
  • Brighton 2017 was great HOT!

• Brighton 2017 was dangerous. No drinks after halfway for the slower runners. Aid stations closed. Check the Runners comments on Facebook post race.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Hi Khani - I'm running it (again). This will be third time lucky for me. Brighton feels a bit like a bogey race to me so I feel the need to run it at least once and have a good race. This year was far too hot and I really hope they sort the water situation out so that it doesn't happen again. 
  • I am doing Brighton . think it is a great race did it back in its 2nd year thought it was well organised
  • I am training for Brighton and using a plan from the internet. It has written to do this tonight:

Threshold run 30 mins to include 2 x 5 mins @ threshold/ 2min jog/walk recovery

I know what threshold runs are, but 5+2+5+2 doesnt =30. Can someone please explain exactly how my run should be planned out?

Thanks!
  • Phil - Brighton is pretty quick yeah. Downhill start, a few small hills in the first half as you go out along the cliffs but nothing major, and pretty flat for the last half. 

WAIDAM - That 30 minutes would include the warm-up and warm-down, so I’d do 10 minutes warm-up at easy pace, and a shorter warm-down at the end.
  • Thanks Spoons, as I haven't booked any accommodation for London and my inlaws live a few miles from Brighton I was having a look at this race instead. 
  • Im doing it - but then i do it every year, I think its one of the best marathons around (and i run them all over the world).
    2017 was a barmy hot race which caught everyone by surprise.
    Its a quick course as well as being one of the best supported outside of London (which i also do most years).
  • What plans are people using for Brighton marathon?
    Cant believe how quiet this thread is... Used to be a busy thread in previous years.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Fat%20Boy%20Trim">Fat Boy Trim</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">What plans are people using for Brighton marathon?<br id="null">Cant believe how quiet this thread is... Used to be a busy thread in previous years.<br id="null"></div>
    </blockquote>
    Howaya, I'm using the Brighton marathon advanced schedule. Finding it fairly hard going but managing it. Looking forward to the big day. Its my first marathon in 10 years. Coming over from Dublin, Ireland for it. 
  • Alan, Ive always fancied the Dublin marathon, have you done it before?

Where did you get the brighton marathon advanced schedule from - their website?
  • Yeah I've done Dublin twice alright. Its has a brilliant atmosphere at it. Very well supported and organised. We'll worth a go?

I got the schedule from the website alright. I think it's called experienced training schedule. 
  • Hi guys new to this thread will be my third Brighton this year & using there improver training schedule (although rather loosely if I'm honest).
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I'm using the London marathon advanced training plan. I used it 2 years ago at Brighton and worked well for me.  This time I will tweak a few of the longer runs to include more marathon pace.  
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/MrSoft">MrSoft</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">I'm using the London marathon advanced training plan. I used it 2 years ago at Brighton and worked well for me.  This time I will tweak a few of the longer runs to include more marathon pace.  
    Yeah doing the same. I'm trying to finish most of my long runs off with marathon pace, I think it's essential. </div>
    </blockquote>
  • Hello everyone I too struggled to find a Brighton Marathon thread but found this one tucked away. This will be my first Brighton Marathon. Looking forward to it. Training is going well. I've done marathons before and have come to believe that the advanced training programmes are too slanted towards volume over quality. You always tread a fine line with injury when training for a marathon and the majority of programmes I see definitely over do it. So right now I'm doing 3 quality runs a week. This will increase to 4 in February but I don't expect to go over that. 25-30 mile weeks now and won't go above 40mpw. Cross country season has been a great way to get back into shape too. I set some goals back in October to progress in each race up the field and have managed this. Nice to see progress. 

Tip for accommodation in Brighton. I booked a great hostel on Booking.com for £16 for the Saturday night! Called Home Brighton. 33 Richmond Place. Bargain. 

Good luck in all your training. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if it livens up. Be good to share training tips. 
  • MrSoft said: 
    Yeah doing the same. I'm trying to finish most of my long runs off with marathon pace, I think it's essential.

Yep I definitely agree on that one too Mr Soft. I never understand how these plans expect you to be able to nail race pace on the big day when they insist on long slow runs throughout training. Those plans are stuck in the dark ages and a much more progressive approach has actually been around since the 70/80s when Britain's top Marathoners were basically running a silly pace all the time. But they didn't get injured because the total volume was much much lower. 
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭
    I'm entered but been unable to run since October due to injury, wonder if I can get marathon fit in two months?
  • 'Marathon fit' is all about expectation ADG. Yes you can run and yes you can finish and your finish time will be mostly dependant on previous results and how quickly you have bounced back from injury before. If it was a serious injury requiring complete rest for months until now then you probably shouldn't throw yourself back into a full marathon training plan. But just start running again and see how you feel. You'll soon know after a 2-3 weeks how you feel and where you might be a further 5 weeks down the line. 
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭
    I'll do my first run soon, I'm not taking any chances, 
  • Just booked my accommodation for the Marathon weekend. Got an airb&b in Hove about 2 miles from Preston Park. Anybody got any idea what the bus service is like on the morning of the marathon?
    It's all starting to feel very real now!
    Cheers Al?
  • Oh its all picked up here.....
    Interesting on the schedules being used.
    Im using P&D but leave out some of the less important runs as like disco Stu (buga loo), said its got a bit too much volume in there for me.

Also I found trying to finish longer runs with a faster pace helped bring my marathon times down, never quite manage to maintain MP though.
  • ADG, if you had a good base before your injury then yes i think you have plenty of time - i only started around end of jan last year for brighton marthon and did fine. (started so late i thought about not doing it)
  • Interesting seeing what pace everyone is aiming for on there long runs, I have been trying to stick to MP so far but now wondering if I should slow it down a bit & just try for MP over the last third or so.
    <div><a rel="nofollow">mtbdee</a> said:</div>
    <div>Interesting seeing what pace everyone is aiming for on there long runs, I have been trying to stick to MP so far but now wondering if I should slow it down a bit & just try for MP over the last third or so.</div>
    </blockquote>

Hi mtbdee, 

I do all my long runs about 20-30 seconds slower than Marathon pace except towards the end were I'd up the pace to marathon pace. I'm currently running 15 miles as my long run and I did the last 5 miles of that at marathon pace. I feel it essential in your long run, not only to get you used to the pace but it give you confidence that you can actually do it!!