Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Spine Race leader just pulled out.  :(:( 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Second position runner in the Spine Race has also pulled out stating that he didn't want to be "a safety problem".  The race is taking on epic proportions now with the weather they've got in the North Pennines.

Runners have been told to get to the next checkpoint or place of safety and are then being held.

Take a look at their facebook page and watch the short film 'Episode 6' posted today.  You'll see why Pavel 'The Bear' Paloncy is one of my heroes.  I've been in those conditions but only a few miles from my house - this guy has already run more than 230 hard miles since Sunday morning.
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭
    Great shout TREX - just followed the FB group and watched the video. Can't believe the conditions the runners are having to endure and I can't get my head around it being in the UK - blue skies, 10Degs here in Chepstow!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Episode 7 is probably the best short film.  Can you imagine doing 100 + miles of that??  That's after about 36 hours of torrential rain and mud while further south ...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Last few tailenders still out there in the Cheviots for another night at -2C.  Unbelievable.
  • They must be hard as nails. I was moaning about running in blizzard conditions on the road on sunday for the inskip half marathon. That was tough enough going!

Managed 1.35 which i was happy with considering the bad conditions and the lack of proper training.
  • Wow TRex you just can't help yourself can you ;-) but hey we all know it's the best marathon in the UK if not the world so why not run it 4 times!! I look forward to hearing how you plan to train for it. My concern would be the impact from running on road for that long. I know you are a seasoned Ultra runner now but that's mostly trail. Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this, And what is your key motivation to take on the 4? I hope its not motivated to go one further than Dwyane. Good luck to you if you decide to stick with the plan. But do have a good think about it.

As for me. Marathon training is going well I think. I keeping the volume low running just 3 times per week at the moment. That will maybe increase to 4 in February but won't go above that. So making each run count and getting the quality in there. Just 10 weeks til Brighton too. Looking forward to it. 

As for a time prediction for Trex's 'SNOD list' I'm going to be bold and say you can put me down for half of one of your laps TRex. 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hmm.  Serious questions.

My motivation is essentially that I like long distance running and setting myself own challenges that push the boundaries a bit.  There are so many things to think about with the longer distances and if everything goes right it can be very pleasing.  Of course with me often one or more things do not go right which then makes the whole expedition a test of character and resilience.

I've found doing two laps at a slower speed seems to be no more tiring than doing one quickly, so doing four slower still I think is in the realms of possibility.  I suppose I would have settled for three laps if I hadn't known that that had already been done.  I've done three 100s before, two of which might have been overdistance, so let's see how I get on with 104.8.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    For training I will be doing some 50-milers over the period July-September and then some long training runs along my local towpath.

Snowdonia and its marathon have a special place in my heart and I want to make some memories.
  • Great answer TRex. I think we owe it to each other to ask the pertinent and important questions when it really matters. Banter is all good but sometimes it's good to call it out which helps us all to consider the path we choose.  The x4 is huge so I wanted to delpth deeper into your mind. Good luck with continued training a build up in 2018.

On another note I've never been on other non SNOD forums on RW site but with my sub3 target rekindled I thought I'd see what was out there. So I'm over on the sub3 thread too if anyone else wants to join in. 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Not much chat going on at the moment, so how about a list? 

The first group are folks that I think are in, including some target times that you must have posted at some point!!

The ? group are either going to leave it until later to get a transfer or I'm not sure if they have entered.

The person under the second heading, I'm not saying anything about them.

Anyone else who has entered, please do join in the chat!

The Single

• Chimney   Sub-4:00
    • Hobie  1495   4th SNOD
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • John Bach   sub-3:00
    • McHilly
    • Pete Thomas 6    sub-4:30
    • runwithmysetter
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • TrailRunner22    sub-2:50
    • Ultra Disco Stu  3:07
    • Wabo

The Quad
    • T Rex

?
    • brer rabbit
    • CSMLFC
    • mr panad
    • panad
    • Shazmo

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The race that opened on 1 Jan that I entered now has 7 entries.  Bit slower on the uptake than SNOD!!
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Mr panad has entered TRex  :)
  • Great to see the list back ??
  • They weren't question marks when I posted the above.. It was a smiley! 
  • January was a good month of training. 130 miles in total. Feeling I'm getting stronger. Up to 18 miles and got in plenty of double digit runs. One 13 miler was at sub3 marathon pace so hoping I can continue to improve and get near that pace for Brighton in April. 
  • I love lists :-) put me down for sub 4, no reason for me not to be ambitious this far out :-)
     The Quod SNOD sounds amazing, I don't know how to even consider that... I'm guessing it's as much mental as physical? 
    Gtreat to hear your training is going so well UDS, sounds like higher mileage than you've done for a while... Have you cut back on eliptigo?
    I've just started running again after 5 weeks off (on physio advise, having had an Achilles niggle for months, that wasn't preventing me running, but wasn't going away, and was taking away some of the enjoyment) Seemed strange to have a break after 10 years of running regularly, but have enjoyed the break and been cycling more... Lots of time to build back up for SNOD, so looking forward to that (Comrades at beginning of June is more concerning).  Planning to try a long run of 5 miles this weekend :smile:
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Mc Hilly - I know all about achilles niggles!  I've had two bouts of it, one foot at a time, one lasting 15 months (Oct 10 - Feb 12) and the other 17 (May 16 - Oct 17).  I still did all my races and challenges but on a very low training base and low intensity sessions.

My mammoth October last year was kill or cure and I can happily say it was cure, and has now completely cleared up.

I'll answer any questions about it.
  • Anyone got any races this weekend? Good luck if you have. I'm running the MK half on Sunday to try and see where I am fitness wise as a marker for Brighton marathon. Also Brighton marathon require 'evidence' of your predicted finish time which they use to place you in the correct pen. First time I've come across this for a normal marathon. It's common in Ultras to have to provide some previous races to enter. My power of ten doesn't nt suggest I'm capable of running a sub 3.30 at the moment because I haven't trained and raced properly for 5 years. So I need a sub 1.30 tomorrow to satisfy the Brighton organisers otherwise they may stick me at the back with the fancy dress brigade! 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    All the best with that then, Stu.

My first race is Newport half on 4 March.  I've started (finally) to get treatment on my dodgy knee and it seems I've got a bit of tendinopathy in one of the quadriceps tendons attaching above the kneecap.  I've got a horrible regime of single leg squats and straight leg raises to do ...
  • Hope it works out T Rex. Sure it will. I also have some come of reoccurring knee issue which is not serious in my mind as it never results in pain as such but I know it feels different to my left which is totally unaffected by my recent increase in running. Did you have a scan TRex or was the practioner just able to diagnose the knee problem and solution by pulling, poking and proding. 

MK half went well. I started off faster than I was planning on the advice or others (I thought it was a definite mistake at 8 miles as it started to hurt) but I didn't crumble and had to dig deep. Even ran the last mile in 6.16 which was the fastest of the race and crossed the line in exactly 1.26.00. Very happy with that and better than I even dreamed I could do. So that's a boaderline sub3 at Brighton IF I can convert that performance to the full distance. So 3-4 20 mile runs to do between now and 15 April to see. 
  • Great result UDS, you smashed the time needed to satisfy Brighton marathon organisers! I'm not even thinking about SNOD yet, but confident it will be fine. Plan is to train hard for Chicago a few weeks earlier, and just enjoy SNOD :-).  Current focus is on Comrades, might be a challenge as longest run so far this year is about 5 mile! But always good to have a challenge!
  • I would love to hear more detail about Comrades McHilly! Was it easy to get in? Any qualifying criteria (which I don't think there is)? Do they look favorable on foreigners entering? What was entry cost? How much were flights? Lots of questions I know. I'd love to live it one year hence my questions. :-) 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone's surviving this cold snap.  We've had wind chills down to -13C.

Newport half marathon cancelled on Sunday.  It's a good call because running through the up to 50cm of snow that we have had could have been quite tricky. And running to the start as I was planning to do anyway would actually have been the only way of getting there.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Very quiet on here.

Everyone must be out training.  Or injured.  Or, if like me, both ...
  • Not much to report running wise. Took my usual Dec/Jan running break did my first run on 3rd Feb then came down with the flu and was totally knocked off my feet for over a month. Laced the trainers up for the first time this week. Can't remember the last time I was this unfit. Still, not got any races booked till the autumn so can ease back into it.

• Hi all,

Similar to you T Rex. Injured but running..  :D:D. Picked up loads of little niggles but managing to get plenty of miles in still. Suppose that's just part of marathon training? I'm hoping a nice taper will and it'll all clear up. 

Off to Valencia in a couple of days for the World half marathon championships at the weekend.. Looking forward to some warmer weather that's for sure! Got a week out there so definitely going to partake in a drink or two in the early part of next week. 

You'll soon get your fitness back TLG. It's just like riding a bike.. 
  • Longest run to date today...26.4 miles...does this make me an Ultra runner???
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I would call that more an overlength marathon!  Trail marathons are often overdistance just to make sure they are at least marathon length.  For me ultras start at 30 miles.

TR22 - wow.  What qualification time did you have to get to enter that??

• No qualification time T Rex. It sounds impressive though eh? I ran it in 2016 when cardiff hosted it. The elites have their race and then similar to any other race there is the mass race. Anyone can enter..

Fancy a go? ☺