Will running shorter distances faster help run further overall?

kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
I have got my first 10k in April the target time is 90 min or at least that’s longest they want anyone to take. I can do 5k in 48 mins so got bit of work to do. I have never ran 10k before so need to work on running longer distances as well as speed. My average speed is around 9 to 10 min per km so not far off what I’m aiming for.

i can manage the speed of 1km in 8 minutes but not for more than 1km. I’m aiming to stick at 1km in 8 min speed for longer then will have chance to slow down when I need to. But will this help towards actually keeping running for the full 10km or do I need to also practice longer runs and not bother about speed?

Comments

• Hi Kmo

If you can run non-stop for 1k at 8 minutes per K then you are well on your way. You need a training plan. A good place to start would be couch 2 5K, or if you are feeling confident try and run five sets of 1k at 8-9 minute pace with a 3 minute rest in between. 

If you can do this three times per week you will quickly find 3 minutes rest becomes 2 mins rest and so on until you are running 5K without stopping. 

You will be amazed how quickly you improve and hopefully start loving getting out for a run. 

My first 18 months of learning to run is documented in my book- I am a runner (see below).

Good luck and enjoy running! 

Jake 
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Thanks that sounds like a good idea. I have just ran 1k in 7.53. I will try the having break then doing another at same pace. I am going to aim for the 1k in 8 mins as that gives me time to slow down if I need to rather than having to keep at same pace as I get tired.
  • I don't mean to be negative but and I don't know how old or large you are but 10 min/km is basically walking pace. What are you measuring your pace/ distance with? Are you sure it is correct? 

Don't worry to much you have a few months so just keep running and your sure to get faster. Also I wouldn't be to worried about the 90 minutes cut off I doubt many races would force you to stop at the cut off unless it was for safety reasons- road being reopened to vehicles. 
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    I know my speed is only slightly faster than walking but it is easier to run longer going slower. I also know I need to work on speed and this month I am going to be. I haven’t been running long so that is why I’m not very fast. As for the time limit I’m sure when it comes to running it sticking to a time will be last thing on my mind. Ideally I would like to start at the 1km in 8 min pace then it gives me chance to slow down when needed.
  • You will get a lot of health benefits from simply getting your heart rate up and getting out of breath regularly. It doesn't have to be all about the speed... 

Bigballer is right- it is worth getting Strava on your smartphone or getting a Garmin. 

If you are inspired to run faster and push yourself, doing some interval sprints once a week will make your slower runs feel easier/slow.

Who knows you might be doing your first marathon next year... At 40 I thought I would never run more than 5k and now I am closing in on a sub 3h marathon. 
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Yea I’m practicing speed and distance runs separately. I can easily manage 1k in under 10 min even when been running a bit, but try any faster I struggle with distance. So for 10k I’ll be aiming for under 100 min. I know if I start off aiming for 90 min I will struggle and it will end up taking longer. With speed and distance practice I may manage 90 min if I do it’s a bonus rather than something I need to do.