P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Ashes were important, but everyone knows it's the ODIs that matter.

Just sayin'
  • AWC - I’m used to running round the streets at night with a head torch but never trained specifically on trails. my biggest concern was running through the night. A good piece of advice I was given was to embrace it as an adventure in its own right. On a warm day it’s quite nice when the sun goes down and the pace is likely to have dropped by then anyway.  The thing I find hard is the fatigue low point in the small hours.  For me, I think fuelling and just working through it to the other side are key. I’d love to be doing my first again.

Well done on the PR Jools.
    Decent tough runs for differing reasons Tom, Phil and John.

A gentle calf tester went well last night so hoping for something long this eve.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hmmph, I can't keep up with the thread.  In any respect, actually.

P&D 12 week up to 55 with variations starts tomorrow - tell me off if I don't post! Done a couple of buggy runs this week, thankfully Mini Mad seems to like it, so I should be able to get the miles in :)  Buggy running makes you feel like a superhero - a few people looked at me this afternoon like I'd grown an extra head, and got unconcealed respect from a few youths who were out fishing :y:
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Evening.
    Well done on the LR Tom.
    Nothing much to report. Ran 10mi this morning. 
    Yesterday's run with daughter was her showing me what they do in her running club, so doing all sorts of speedwork, some of which I joined in on. Over shorter distances, probably anything under 800m to 1k, I reckon she can already beat me. Makes me realise the benefits of a running club, something I missed out on.
  • Glad to hear MiniMad is taking to the buggy running Madbee.
    Nice LR Tom.
    Lliswerry 8M today on a different course due to urgent roadworks taking out a chunk of the usual route. It involved a U-turn around a cone at 2.6M into a stiff headwind :/ Much better than last Sunday's race 49:29. 49th of 792 & 2nd MV45 though no prize as they only gave awards to 1st in each age cat. 23s slower than last year but obsessive poring over the results from this year & last indicates that most people that raced both & finished sub 50 were 30-60s slower this time so happy with that.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    NE - I would happily sacrifice all ODIs to win a dead rubber in the ashes.

Great parkrun PB Jools and follow up race today. Great buggy running Madbee. Good long run Tom and John and some good LT sessions out there too - Joe, Phil

Planning a comeback tomorrow. Will see how it feels and take it as it comes. Talking of multiple marathons, my wife's cousin has just invited us over to the Isle of Man over Easter when her partner is running the Manx Mountain Marathon. Would love to do it but it's only 3 weeks out from London.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Parkrun PB Jooligan!  :) Nice race today as well!

Hope your leg is OK Scott.

Nice LRs John and Tom.

Great tempo pace Phil!

Welcome to the plan Madbee! Are buggies allowed during the marathon? ;-)

Good luck with you comeback HA

6.5 miles recovery for me in glorious t-shirt and no gloves weather.

I feel like I am starting the real 12 week plan now. Endurance mesocycle and extra recovery weeks are over. Now the rubber hits the road with 84 miles next week. Starting with 13 miles in the rain first thing tomorrow!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Superb weekend of racing Jools and a PR PB-fantastic!

Great Long run John.

Cracking tempo pace Phil!

Good luck with the start of the plan Madbee-hope MiniMad is co-operative and enjoys the buggy running!

Hope the comeback goes well HA. Unfortunately any number of ODI victories dosen't come close to making up for the Ashes demolition.

Felt better after a good meal and 3 pints of the black stuff yesterday. Not so good now. A very slow 6 miles done and dusted. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Jooligan - missed the parkrun PB - well done!
    Very wet here this morning. 13mi planned later.
  • Perfect timing for a marathon HA T-3. Just don't race it.
  • HA - maybe you're right, best not to leave her on babysitting duties. Good luck for the comeback today.

Macca - The southerns well brutal. We met there last year right? (albeit at Parliament Hill). Saw your 20 miles late last night. Crazy.

Jools - cracking parkrun, really looks like you're in fine form at the moment. Long may it continue. Sounds like a great showing in yesterdays race also.

John - chafe-age sounds nasty.. On the positive side, you'll be getting good fitness improvements from running in the heat and will really reap the benefit once it cools down.

Awesome long run Tom - great pace as well.

Had the Southern XC champs on Saturday and it certainly wasn't my finest racing performance. To get the excuses in, I still felt pretty wrecked from Thursdays tempo and then decided to run 4 miles inc. parkrun on Saturday morning. Had already decided to start very steady and build into it, treating it more like a long training session.

About 30 minutes before the start the weather turned from miserable to horrific, and the whole course was an absolute mudbath, with a couple of killer climbs. Steady start, but on the final descent on the first lap I tripped and went flying forwards, landing on my rib-cage. Completely knocked the wind out of me, and I was on the deck for a good 30 seconds trying to be a big boy and not cry. Eventually dragged myself up to continue, with the second lap being fairly uneventful.

However, onto the start of the 3rd lap I realised I wasn't actually going to make the last 3 miles without going to the loo, so had to make an impromptu stop in the bushes. To cap it all off, I lost my hat on an overhanging branch on the final climb and had to run back and get it. What a rookie. I jogged it in from here, having lost all motivation (I was actually disappointed with how weak I was mentally). 305th out of 750 - standard wasn't too bad.

Had a much better day sunday, 3 hours on the turbo trainer keeping it nicely controlled, before Katie and I went for a 20 mile, 6 hour walk in Surrey which had plenty of climbing - it was great fun. 

• Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Northender / HA - I always run two marathons close together in April, normally london and brighton (- only 1 week apart this year).
    I have found,

3 weeks you can race both, i use first as training and 2nd as race
    2 weeks apart , best to prioritise the first one and good chance all well for 2nd one to race
    1 week apart, prioritise the first def and 2nd is get round and enjoy.

Main point is there is little no training in this period its all recovery.

18 miles for me at the weekend, felt a bit tired after it....
  • Some brilliant running as always on this thread!
    Phil - Awesome long run!
    Jools - Impressive parkrun PB and race the following day, as Joe says you are in great form at the moment.

Progression long run on Saturday for me. 17 miles in total, but decided to finish at Parkrun in the hope that running with others would help me maintain/hit pace. First 8 miles averaged 8:26s then next 6 averaged 7:22s and Parkrun was a disappointing 21:05 for a 6:48 average. Recovery 5 miler on Sunday to finish off a 54 mile week and my 3rd week in a row at 50+ miles. Anyway the Parkrun didn't really work out as planned, as I probably could have run that pace solo anyway!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    With this multiple marathon thing it really depends on the individual, we all recover at different rates...I would say risk of injury is pretty high if race two marathons in 3 weeks. HA - if you do the manx one I reckon keep it nice and slow until the last couple of miles, then sprint and take the win.
  • Very True Westy, I have found the more marathons i run then the less recovery time between them. After my first few marathons i could barely run for the next few weeks at all, now Im generally ok a few days after. 

Also the manx marathon is not your normal road marthon more a orienteering version of Hell.....
  • Nice 16 miler ramjet, hope you enjoyed the swimming.

Congratulations on your parkrun PB Jools and 2nd age cat at Lliswerry.

Skiing collisions can be nasty Scott - hope your leg is okay.  

Hope you are staying clear of the bugs Phil.

Ouch to the chafage JohnOz.  Humidity is nasty stuff.  

Nice long run Tom - interesting refuelling tactics.

Good luck for your 12 week plan Madbee.   

Good luck with your comeback HA, take each run at a time.

Eventful XC Joe.  

Also some nice long runs from FBT and SteveMac.

I ran both days at the weekend - a recovery 5 miler on Saturday and 8 miles GA yesterday afternoon.  With those runs I did the full recovery week mileage so I feel a bit more confident about carrying on with the marathon plan.  Yesterday's run was supposed to include strides but I decided to leave those out so as not to stress the calf.  I did try one single km at a few seconds over LT pace, no reaction to that so I will start to ease back into speed work this week.  Rest day today.
  • Well done Hazel always best to avoid the fast stuff on calves which may be not be 100%
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Like you say FBT the MMM isn't a normal road marathon, it's a 50km fell race with 2500m of climb. Pretty ho hum for Jools I guess but a real killer for mere mortals.

Good work on getting through the race Joe. After your big fall you can't expect to stay pumped up and motivated. It's not like you just gave up because it was too hard.

• So it's a bona fide Ultra then HA - much more Macca/Millsy territory than mine. I suppose it depends how much you want to do it & whether you want to put all your eggs in the VLM basket then.
    Sounds like a busy w/e JB. That course looked pretty brutal in dry conditions let alone the mudbath you endured.
    Sounds promising Hazel. It's the running every day which has brought me to this position of strength.
    I'd be pretty happy with a 21 minute parkrun after 17M in your 3rd consecutive big week Steve so well done. 
    I'm with FBT on the multiple marathon timescales but I also know that I never completely bury myself in a race - good job considering the number I do! Case in point legs were strong during this morning's glute session & I'm looking forward to tonight's recovery run before swimming.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: glute sessions sounds painful!

hazel: glad you are back and it’s sensible to take it easy and not push it too much. 

Steve: parkrun at the end of 17mi is a good session. So you’d already run a HM and then hit 6:48 splits which is excellent on tired legs. I would have thought that’s worth a good 10-15s/mi

5mi LT Run tonight - was a bit easier than the previous one and that showed as the splits were over 5s/mi quicker. LT splits were 6:27/mi - really didn’t think I’d be there at this stage. Looking good for sub 1:30 at Reading HM. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    AWC: this is the glutes circuit I've been doing http://www.running-physio.com/glutes-circuit/ as recommended by the physio I was seeing. I do 15 reps of each exercise & I've also added in single leg glute bridges, 14 walking lunges with 2x5kg kettle bells & 8 single leg deadlifts each side also with the kettle bells. I throw in 30 sit ups & 30 Russian twists both with 6kg medicine ball, 60 alternate leg raises, bench press, dumbbell curls & side lateral raises. Usually repeat the whole thing 3 times for a 65-70 minute workout. I'm pretty sure this has helped build my speed despite doing virtually no interval work in 3 months. Promising LT session you had there.
    In other news my daughter passed her driving test today on her 2nd attempt B)
  • Northender / HA - I always run two marathons close together in April, normally london and brighton (- only 1 week apart this year).
    I have found,

3 weeks you can race both, i use first as training and 2nd as race
    2 weeks apart , best to prioritise the first one and good chance all well for 2nd one to race
    1 week apart, prioritise the first def and 2nd is get round and enjoy.

Main point is there is little no training in this period its all recovery.

18 miles for me at the weekend, felt a bit tired after it....
    Hi Fat Tortoise,
    Can you pls clarify what you mean by race both when 3wks apart.  Do you really mean go for it in them both? Because you then say treat the first one as training, and I'm not sure if you mean hold back a bit.

Congrats on the driving test, Miss Jools.  My older one reaches 17 next week. Gulp.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: that kind of workout will definitely build speed and strength. I was also wondering how you managed to race so much with few injuries and this must really help. It’s similar to the RunCamp strength group I go to each week which has really helped me get stronger and I’ve definitely seen a reduction in injury and niggles. Similar to you it was my physio who said I needed to do this stuff properly. 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nightmare XC Joe. At least you are not injured and live to fight another’s day.

That sounds like a pretty good progression run to me Steve and great training.

Sounds encouraging Hazel.

Fab LT pace again AWC. Hope I can do that pace on Wednesday!

70 minute gym workout Jooligan? That’s pretty hardcore but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised! Congratulations to your daughter.

13 mile MLR this morning in the rain for me. It was a bit of a repeat of Saturday. First half a slog into the wind and then zipping along nicely in the second half. It was shortly followed by a wet cycle to work - how can it rain so much?
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Sounds like a character building day out in the mud Joe. Plenty of training benefits no doubt!

Excellent progression run Steve. Looking good for Bath!

Another cracking LT run AWC-you really are flying at the moment!

Nice to have the wind at your back for the second half Ramjet. Nice MLR.

That's some gym workout Jools! Congrats to your daughter.

Out at 4:15 this morning and was only planning on doing 9 miles with strides but the weather was so good (cold but no ice and not a breath of wind) that I couldn't resist staying out for a bit longer so did 12 instead. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Joe - sounds like it was one of those days where nothing goes right, better to have those all together in a race which is not your A or even B target!

AWC - great LT pace and sub 90 looks well in sight. Will that be a pb?

Steve - well done on finding the pace for PR at the end, it’s never easy to do that regardless of wherher you have company. 

Jools - interesting that you’ve become fast through gym work. I really ought to do some S&C but can never psych myself up for it. Great results though and clearly a successful formula. Well done to miss jools, does that mean you skip out of chauffeur duties now or is it offset by worries about prangs/getting home late/extra car costs?

Ramjet - good tough run in the rain, all goes into the mental bank!

Tom - bank them while the weather’s good. 

Had tired legs on waking yeaterday but forced myself out for a slow recovery. Seemed to do the trick as full of beans this morning for 15mi with 2x2.5mi tempo at 6:50 & 6:35 avg. Slow to get the legs moving but once warmed up it felt comfortable. I seem to take ages to hit target pace these days so really need to practice more strides. Enjoyed this more than a progressive MLR so will ramp up the tempo miles over the coming weeks to give a bit more MP practice. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Tom: lovely morning isn’t it. Well worth staying out for the extra 3

Joe: PB is 1:30:xx so anything under 1:30 is gonna be a PB. 

Ramjet: really hate wind in the face - didn’t enjoy my long run at the weekend because of the wind and rain. This cold dry weather is much preferable. 
  • Hopefully you'll stay dry today Ramjet.
    Nice 15M John. Not yet as she's chosen horses over car - can't afford both. Fortunately her boyfriend passed his test on Friday too & he already has a car :) He's also very responsible - phew.
    Was lovely this morning at 4:15 Tom: nice & warm under a thick duvet & sleeping soundly :p Very pleasant, if chilly, run commute at 7:15 though.
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Northender,
    On the 3 weeks apart, I was suggesting you can race them both (ie run at max capacity), as there is enough recovery time between the two and I have done before. But what I normally do is treat the first one as part of my training plan (long run) and race the 2nd one.
    This year I only have 1 week between them so I have no option but race the first and get round the second.
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Westy - that’s my concern, I’m usually quite slow to get back to things after a marathon. Although last time I recovered more quickly than previously, so hopefully that trend might continue. I will just see how I feel I guess.

Congrats on the parkrun PB Jooligan, and good performance in the 8M race too.

JohnOz - yeah I think the pace shows things are heading in the right direction. Coaching… er, yeah :D I’m happy with how I’m going at the moment, so I’m not going to change too much…

Great intervals Phil, LT run AWC, and long run Tom.

XC sounded horrific Joe! Well done grinding out three hours on a trainer.

Lots more great running from everyone else too.

My long run went well on Sunday - 21.5 miles at 6:50/mi, with 8x2 min surges. In the end I did it without breakfast like usual. The surges in the long run made it quite tough, but it did make the time pass! My quads felt a little sore yesterday, on my recovery run with SoreQuads ;) I think that is a good thing - usually my quads are the first thing to start complaining during a marathon, so the fact those surges in my long run are forcing them to work (and hopefully adapt) should help with that. 

I actually dropped a run for the first time in a while yesterday. I had a long day of meetings, and was feeling pretty drained. By the time I had a chance to get out for my second run I was hungry and tired, so I decided to ditch it and just do some yoga. I figured it was more important to be fresh for the rest of the week than drag myself out for a run that won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things. Glad I did, woke up feeling fresh this morning and had a lovely run along the canal - first really good sunrise for a while.