Sub 3

Comments

• Great mileage and raining TR and Padams, always inspiring stuff. 183m for me impacted by my marathon but still 23 more than Jan 2017 when ran the same race. 
    Yes TR, Barcelona next on 11 March and think I saw a 2:45 pacer on one of their promo videos which would be helpful - Wardi/ Dan/ anyone?   Then the Great Welsh marathon in April which I want a good crack at, then training for the mountain marathon in Chamonix in July. So hopefully seeing your current kind of mileages then. 
    DanA - Good to see you are shaking off the plague - that looks a good week.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    OO.. yes there is a sub 2:45 pacer team at Barca, however.. Dan followed them on one occasion and they missed the cut by a few seconds (2:45.07 or thereabouts).  :/
  • <<sigh>> indeed CD. I didn't know that about parkrun - it's taking non-competitive too far in my opinion, I raced for years with no hope or expectation of winning anything or beating everyone, I ran then, and do now because I want to and I enjoy it - surely that's why others should too?

You're building the miles nicely Padams.

I had a lovely run this morning. It's amazing how different it feels now that my legs are working again. I started to have thoughts of VLM but the reality is that I'm a long way from where I was this time last year. Tempted to enter a race and see if the magic happens - has anyone run Droitwich Half? Wrong part of the country for most I'd guess.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Nice mileage TR. Consistently done too from what I can see. 

Dan - belated happy b'day. Mine was Sunday. Still the same age category though.

LMH - good to see you back at it. I've got exactly the same post viral fatigue apparently. Mine never came out fully, but I've been feeling rough since early December. My chiro said my muscles had tightened up so much I'd developed about a half-inch leg length difference. She done some NLP type stuff, as well as adjustments to try help it along.

Sounds like a good race CD.

My mileage for January was 254, but haphazardly (4 full weeks were 36, 94, 25, 82), partially due to studies, and partially due to the post viral stuff the same as LMH. Got on track last night for the first time in ages. 13m+ with reps of 2m, 1m, 2m, 1m, 1m. Splits understandably way off where I should be, but at least consistent - 11:28, 11:29 for the 2s, 5:38, 5:40, 5:39 for the 1s. 1 lap jog after a 2m, 1/2 lap jog after the miles.
    Legs are thrashed today. At least things should improve from here hopefully!

• I hope you recover quickly TT.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    TT - sounds like you are getting back to it now.

OO - sounds like a conctious loop of recovery, a few weeks training then a taper and race?

Padams - I hear you on the no cycling. My total is run only so less volume than when I'd turbo and swim on non run days, I never did 6 milers back then either, so plenty more aerobics every day. However as we have said before on here, top marathoners don't swim and bike. Shame I'm starting from further back than usual as it would be a useful experiment, I havnt done a run only marathon since the very first vlm.
  • LMH - yep at the moment at least two rest days in week. I'm averaging 4 runs per week which is a sweet spot for me personally. 

Wow Tiptop that's some pretty serious track reps going on there!! I'd be happy with just one of those 2m splits then jog home for a lie down. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TT - nice sesh, those sort of longer intervals I think are ideal for HM/M training, especially within a medium-long run like that.

LMH - it might be worth doing a race just to find out what shape you're in. You might surprise yourself and change your mind on VLM.

6M squeezed in yesterday between leaving work and nursery pick-up. Did a 2M and 1M section at a moderately hard effort to try to pick up a bit of speed before the HM on Sunday. I'll just do a couple of easy short runs now before then, probably with a few strides to stretch the legs.

• Padams - fully agree. I've been refining my training recently, so am trying to get these sorts of long intervals up from the standard 5-6m total effort to 7-10m. They bring me on loads. HM - Watford? Good luck!

UDS - lol, and cheers. I wasn't displeased for where I am/how I'm feeling, but to put it in context though they're slower than mara pb pace......... welcome aboard btw!

Just out from seeing my GP. He concurs on the viral bit, and it appears to be having a larger effect on my asthma than I appreciated - peak flow is down 20-25% - so I've got a 2 week course of prednisone, to be followed by a 4-6 week course of nasal steroid spray, plus my first blue inhaler in over 4 years as my current asthma meds are not doing the job.
  • Nice miles Padams, about the pace I raced just one before Xmas! And good luck for Watford. I did it back in 2015 and was surprised by quite a few sharp hills (had apparently got hillier after a course change).

Great miles TR, I managed only a few more at 261. (Tapering for a couple of races limited the volume, but then one of the races was 48M!) And 11 non-running days.

Last couple of days I ran my commutes, but with pretty wooden DOMSd legs. This morning they were still a touch cranky but up for a 12+ mile steady, though they feel creaky again now so I won't do much on the way home.
  • UDS - Small world indeed..Joe has lurked on here occasionally too - 'Ironbloke' I think he was called!

TR - Forecast for Chichester seems a teeny bit breezy but not too bad. the V45 10k rankings are quite north/midlands heavy, which is helpful. Hopefully a low 33 will do the trick. Yes agree LMH, although not surprised, I echo CD's thoughts - at least half the entry paid would be nice. Good luck to the Watford entrants..

• Hope everyone racing this weekend has a good one, it's forecast to be cold here.

Padams - I'm starting to think the same, it's just a case of finding something suitable that hasn't sold out.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Exactly that!  2.45 guys usually run 2.45 and change, never sub 2.45 from my experience of 4 (or is it 5) Barca marathons.

Padams
     - I'm at Watford organising the pacers (not running), but I'll look out for you (and Marders).  Seem to remember you on the podium there before, no?

CD - interesting observation about parkrun.  I'm a big supporter, but have noticed the shift away from running, to being more about just participating.  They always say walk/jog/run in the their correspondence now, rather than run/jog/walk.  My local parkrun (Richmond Park) still reports on top 3 each week, and they still do a first finishers page nationally.  I guess there's more government (financial) support if they focus on it being about a community participation event than a running event.

Same way in which you couldn't put on a road race these days unless you made a big deal about raising money for charity.  Those in charge aren't interested in running for running's sake.
  • On one hand I can understand the comments re Parkrun but I think anyone who is an established runner will take this view to a certain extent. But getting anyone more active is the end goal here. Parkrun has always been about that. And as more people see others taking part no matter their ability it spurns on others to give it a try too. No one should feel judged for their pace. My favourite part about last weeks Aylesbury PR once I finished was running back around and supporting all the other runners down to the last. MK Parkrun tomorrow. Still hunting 18 minutes! I've got to crack it this year!... 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I like the concept of park un being free and something to try to help the less active get more active esp as it' free(?). I guess the problem arises as more serious runners want to race them (For free?). Maybe they should have participation parkruns and raced parkruns (Maybe charge a small fee for a timed race with postions), or simply stop timing them and publishing result for the participation runs.........never done one myself, don't really get it.

Stuart - you'll be unlucky to not qualify if you run that fast. You'll be on your way home by the time I finish.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. don't know if it helps but Mrs Wardi is injured & has a place for the Snake Lane 10 up here on 25th Feb.  It's about 15-20 mins east of York in Pocklington.  Last day for transfers is Monday so let me know if it is of interest.  Flat apart from 2 gentle climbs in the last 3 miles, my PB course.
  • That's very kind of you Wardi but a bit too far especially as Mark wouldn't be racing too.

I agree that anything that gets people moving is a good thing but parkrun wouldn't be where it is without the support it has had from people who already run.
  • TR there is nothing stopping anyone racing a Parkrun. Whilst the official blurb states it's not a race the timing and positions are texted and emailed to every participant. The website has a comprehensive results page for every Parkrun in the country. You can pour over leaderboards for individual venues and national results. Its a brilliant way to get out on a Saturday morning and check your progress. 19.08 for me today. Exactly a minute off my PB so some work to do but getting nearer to holding 6mpm pace and I didn't fade at the end so that was pleasing. That time got me 10th place too out of 500 odd runners so you get an idea of the range of abilities. Sub 18 will often get you top 3 or even 1st place in some locations. 
  • An 11-14 yr junior came 2nd and ran 17.37!! That's pretty astonishing. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stu - yes I understand, I was just putting forward some ways that those wanting to be competitive could be separated from those that don' want it to be competitive. Like I say, it doesn't appeal to me. I don't get the concept of folks wanting to race it. But mass participation is good news.

Just 4m with some strides today. Another rainy run, so pleased it wasn' a long run day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Chichester 10k  today, first time I had done the new coure, I reckon it' a quick course too. (Apart from the wind on the motor racing circuit today). I thought I'd gain 40ish sec from stubbibgton 37:42 and go 36.XX, I was right about the 40ish sec but it was 40sec slower than  stubbington ! Legs weren' having any of it, too many recent miles I guess. But the main aim was for a short blast before Worthing 1/2 next week, so keep calm and carry on. The time to get the hump will be if I have a crap run next Sunday.
    Hope Simon did well, but it was a big field, I started too far back and hit heavy traffic early on. The SPO said the early finishers went sub 30min which is decent.
  • Are you going to have an easier few days before Worthing TR?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes. I had an easy week this week too (after 20m Sunday of course), no more 10ks in marathon build up, although to be fair I hadn' decided to start training for vlm when I entered todays race and Worthing.
  • TR - That's decent considering the heavy training. I would be happy with that as a run and speed session. 
    Wardi/Dan - Thanks for that, so a Barcelona 2:45 pacer does what it says on the box/ flag.  Was thinking of following them and hold on for the best - not now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    OO - yes I'll consider it a good blast, I need to stick to diesel races not speedy ones, I took the dog out for a long walk this afternoon and my legs were fine, I just can't run fastish any more. Chip time was 38:16 so a bit quicker than I thought, I just saw the clock was 38:2X when I passed it at the finish.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - sounds like you have the right attitude about Chicester, it was just a good sharpener for Worthing. Those miles in your legs will mean they lack a bit of zip, especially as you're not as used to the bigger miles than some people.

I had a decent run at Watford HM. For reference, I ran 73:19 there in 2015, which was the year I got my marathon PB at VLM (although I did a lot of miles in Feb and March in 2015 that I doubt I'll be able to replicate this year). And I've run high 72/low 73 a couple of other times there on the old (slightly faster) course. So I was expecting a 74:xx but hoping for closer to 74 than 75.

When I arrived I realised I had forgotten to bring a watch, so the whole thing was blind other than a clock at HW. On the start line I thought Marders hadn't turned up, but with 30s to go, he was running back up the course and jumped into the pen with around 5s to go!

First mile was downhill and probably a bit too quick, but it was into the wind, I wanted to shelter and there was a bit of a gap behind me. After about 1.5M I realised I was going too fast and eased back a bit to let a group of 3 catch me (we were positions 9-12). It started to split up fairly early on and I just settled into my own pace which was about the same as one of the others, he was a bit better on the hills (especially downhill) and I was making that back on the flat. I was very surprised to see the HW clock said about 36:10, which I thought could be wrong given the 2nd half is net downhill.

I felt reasonably strong through the middle - obviously had no idea of pace but it felt OK. Started to hurt around 11M but managed to drop my long-time companion. As I entered the home straight the clock was reading 72:xx (I couldn't see the seconds!) but it soon ticked to 73:xx and my final time was 73:17, 8th place.

So overall very pleased with that at this stage. Aerobially I felt fine but my legs were a bit battered, probably thanks to several steep downhills and calves were tight from the uphills. I caught up with Marders at the finish and he had a solid run without having to exert himself too much I think.

Good to bump into Dan too. I'd done my press-ups before the race so that must have cost me a few seconds...

• TR -- good sharpener that, hope the half is a big success with a bit of a taper.

Padams -- that's really excellent, especially recalling the sharp hills. And auspicious to be 2 sec quicker than your previous outing there before your marathon PB!

As I had the trail ultra last weekend and did a grass training marathon the one before, I thought I was due something a bit sharper on tarmac this weekend. So I ran 22M, average just over 7 m/M, with a few modest efforts along our famous Cambridge busway path. Almost immediately followed by a midday cinema trip with the family on reclining chairs -- which my legs seized up on, maybe I'd overdone it! Still pretty wooden this morning for a 4M plod to work, too, but it would be nice to build the miles up now so I don't want to miss too many run-commutes.
  • Bloody hell CW - and there was me patting yourself on the back on my 2 week post marathon 16m @ 7.50 mm yesterday.  
    Great performance Padams - what a great pointer to be quicker than 2015; interesting point about being watch-less.
    First 70m week for me since October.  Glorious winters day feel a 5 miler with the pooch coming on. 
  • correction - myself not yoursel - though you deserve an even bigger pat on the back.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

OO - I don't think the lack of watch made any difference to the result. I've been racing long enough now that I should know what HM effort feels like, and I didn't know what shape I was in so it wouldn't have helped anyway. It was just weird not knowing what time I was on for!

CW - nice long run so soon after the ultra. I ran to work this morning - not even 3M, and pretty slow, but that felt like hard work (not helped by the rucksack inc. laptop), so I can empathise about the wooden legs.