Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Hazel - nice MLR, glad to see things progressing well since the injury break.

NE - I'm still searching for a shorter pair, haven't managed to find them yet. Thankfully no adverse effects from the tumble, just a bit of dented pride. No improvement for Katie unfortunately, it's a very frustrating time. We've literally tried everything it seems. Sounds like things are starting to come together, very impressive re; the regular S&C, I need to do more of that.

Was meant to have a track session this morning (12 x 400m) but I arrived to find it closed. After 2 hard sessions in 2 days on the bike, I buckled and decided to just run instead of finding somewhere else to do the efforts. Probably the soft option, but I'm just telling myself to be relentlessly consistent at the moment, ensuring I'm building the sessions day after day. I ended up running it as a progressive, picking it up from 5 miles and moving towards MP. 11 miles in the end @ 6.48mm.
  • Options
    Re Joe's shorts - I think a pair of Y fronts would be longer...
  • Options

JohnOz I think the paces prescribed in P&D and P&L are broadly the same. It’s just that I have tended to do any non MP/LT/interval as all easy (on road) or recovery (off road). This programme I am trying to slightly increase the speed for endurance and GA running – inspired by spoons! HA’s Mona fartlek is a great option – thanks for the reminder.

Spoons that is a cracking session. To get so many sub 6m/m 5 minute blocks off only 1 minute rest is very impressive.

Hell of a MP session, Tom. Bodes very well for Manchester. But will you cope running in daylight?!

Impressive 19M, NE. Good work on the S&C.

Joe I couldn’t agree more that consistency is king. You’ll get the intervals in somewhere, but if the total load of training remains high, you’ll undoubtedly be making great progress. My friend is a journalist who runs a blog called ‘Daddy Short Legs’ – about being a father of two young girls. One of his posts yesterday made me think of you. It went along the lines of: ‘My 2 yo daughter just pointed at a runner in exceptionally short shorts and said “That man no wearing trousers.”’ It made me laugh. To be fair, I am in the market for some new short short split shorts. Can’t beat them on race day.

7M easy this morning which will be my first non-double digit day in almost two weeks. Left hamstring still tight. Doesn’t stop me running at an easy pace, but I feel pretty one-dimensional.

• Options
    10m LT run... Glad thats over but feel better for it...
    Bloody wind still though - when will it go away?
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
  • Options
    thanks Tomasz Schafernaker err i mean westy
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Thanks FBT! I just love Tomasz Schafernaker .

• Options
    I reckon TS would be a good lad to go for a drink with.
  • Options
    In an iso bar, I guess?
  • Options
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Just read your blog Joe. Understand those shorts comments now. I've got some small ones but those are something else again. Progression run is always a good option. 

Great consistency SQ. Expecting big things.

Ran and easy 9 miles yesterday and 7ish today, finishing at almost MP. Could still feel the calf but it didn't affect me running. Hopefully can start a few light sessions next week.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Going to have to have a look at this blog....
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Yep those are shorts JB. You may as well have stuck with the Speedos.

John - 10 MP miles in a MLR sounds pretty tough! I think just adding a couple would be enough for me.

Nice session yesterday Spoons.

15 miles @ MP Tom!!! Well done.

Impressive double yesterday Hazel.

Well done on the 19 miler NE.

10 miles LT FBT? Is that even possible?

A better run for me today. 15 miles with 2 x 2 @ LT. First two averaged 6:10 and the second two averaged 6:15. Happy with that. That's the first time I've managed to hit that pace this training plan. Amazing what a good night's sleep can do. I also need to stop attempting these tempos in the dark.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Has anyone noticed Joe's incredibly short shorts?

Nice work with the double Hazel.

Sounds like you are making good progress with that 19 miler NE. Pleased to see you are up for the Manchester/Newport double!

Good session FBT. Presuming it was 10 miles with 5 @ LT?

Looks like you are steadily getting back into HA. Great news!

Cracking run Ramjet! Real confidence booster there-nice one.

Speaking of tempo runs in the dark......Out at 4:15 this morning. Cold, breezy and a huge full moon to light the way! 11 miles with 7 @ LT. 5:51s for the LT section-not rapid but pleased with how consistent my splits were and how it felt on tired legs. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Nice LT's Ramjet and Tom you crazy man.
    16mi for me today, the LR for the recovery week - still a bit behind schedule.
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tom / Rammers, it was 10 miles with 4.5 at LT (I rounded that up to 5 )

On the subject of Mr Schafernaker, have you seen his artwork.....
  • Options
    Great to hear you're getting back into it, HA

Cracking LTs from Tom and Ramjet. And I guess 10M at LT is theoretically possible - isn't it supposed to be your all out hour pace? But there would be absolutely no way I could do that in training. 

16M done and dusted, Westy? Good work. 

5M recovery with 4 x strides thrown in. Wore some new NB off road cushioned affairs - not bad at £35. They'll do for recovery runs. Left hamstring giving me some stick still. But did manage to slowly accelrate through the strides. Not sure whether to try anything hard tomorrow or not.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Nice early 16 miler Westy!

I wouldn't try anything hard with a hamstring niggle SQ. No point taking the risk at this stage.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    16mi will be at lunchtime.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Winter is coming.
    Apparently.
  • Options
    HA - really glad you're getting back into it. 

Nice working on coming back and getting the LT run done Ramjet, sounds like a really good session.

Tom - as always, very impressive this morning. Seriously don't know how you do it.

Westy - next week is looking bloody baltic. Good luck with the 16.

Easier day for me today, just a run and a swim. Decided to have a 'fun' weekend of racing, so going to do my local parkrun in Hertfordshire while visiting family tomorrow and a low key 10km in Greenwich park on Sunday. No real time pressure, just have a bit of a burn up. 
  • Options

Joe yes my average HR for a marathon is always around 180 (I have a high max HR!). For more specific marathon sessions (like Sunday) I will wear my HR strap and work to heart rate as you suggest. However for that session it was just somewhere to start, and in any case my wrist HRM was playing up due to cold weather / being crap for intervals. Nice progressive run, enjoy the Jools-esque weekend!

Jools there are many things you can call me, but after declaring a 2:45 goal with a current PB of 2:57, I think sandbagger is not one! :p

Very solid training and great consistency with the S&C NE. I find it so hard to get motivated to do S&C!

SQ sorry to hear the hammy is still playing up. I’d play it cautious and take it easy at the weekend. You’ve had a fantastic block of training, don’t risk it this close to Wokingham. You could always switch things around and do something faster early next week if you’re keen and the hamstring feels better.

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction HA.

Nice LTs Ramjet, FBT and Tom.

Good luck on the 16 miler Westy.

Just looked at the forecast following Westy’s comment - ugh!

15 miles for me again this morning. The legs felt a bit tired when I got up, no doubt because of Wednesday’s session. The first mile, in to the wind, felt tougher than I’d like and I worried the run was going to turn in to a bit of a slog. However after a few miles the legs woke up a bit, and overall didn’t feel too bad. Averaged 6:55/mi in the end, which is way better than I thought it would turn out at the start!

Definitely looking forward to a recovery/taper week next week. Just one more big run to do on Sunday, 2 miles warm-up then 10 x (1 mi @ MP, 1 mi @ MP+60s). Will aim to work to HR. I think I might also have breakfast to give me the best chance of making it to the end.

• Options
    thanks spoons, not surprised you were tired...
    WEather looking ok for next couple as weeks as far as i can tell, try and less wind, albeit a bit cool
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Could be some snow in places....
  • Options
    runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yeah the minus temperatures, and hence potential for ice, was my concern!

On the subject of 10 mile LT runs, let's say someone recommended you did a session of 2x30 mins @ LT, with 90 seconds recovery. On the Wednesday after a target half marathon race. That's crazy, right?
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Depends on how the legs are feeling Spoons. Certainly would'nt recommend it the Wednesday before a target HM.

Yes it could get very icy next week which is a concern.

Got my Wokingham number today. I seem to remember half the thread signing up for this. Everyone still up for it?

Calling Beer'O Clock with a fine glass of porter in hand. Cheers!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Spoons: thats mental! That's like a race itself

Tom: a porter sounds lovely!

I got my Bramley 20 number today - feels good to be racing again and putting all this training to good use.

Looking forward to a 21 miler in the morning then off to trampolening with my little girl which should be a laugh.
  • Options
    Spoons what did you think of the 'my best stride' book?