London Marathon 2018 - Accommodation

Hi All,

Apologies; done a search for a similar topic but couldn't find any up-to-date discussions on this (Mods; feel free to merge/point me in the right direction!)

I'm 99% sure I've been given a charity place for London 2018, so I need to start looking for accommodation. I haven't yet been given any information on this (pending final confirmation hopefully later this week) so don't know the full ins and outs of London Marathon planning, aside from what I've seen on the site, but just looking for advice/tips etc on accommodation for this.

Had a rough look on the usual sites and prices are already a bit crazy for Sat 21st and that's before the ballots/GFA etc are released, so want to get moving on this.

Anyone got any tips for where to stay/look for etc? I was provisionally thinking along the lines of an early flight/train down on the Sat AM (or even Fri PM), stay over, Race on Sunday and stay over, then head back on Monday. I don't know what it's like getting to/from the start/finish line so just trying to gauge interest and feelings on this; e.g. City Centre are very expensive but have the convenience of being close, whereas outskirts like Heathrow etc benefit from a tiny price, but a massive distance.

any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

you have to pick your number up at the Excel in Docklands before 5 on the Saturday - so factor that trip into your arrival time.

Gold bond charity place you'll start in Greenwich Park. Lots of hotels in Greenwich/Lewisham - or over in Docklands. But then you have to get the train back at the end.

Some prefer to stay near the end and do the train journey at the start. Millions of hotels in central London. You need to get to Charing Cross / London Bridge for the morning train - so maybe factor in that journey on a tube map? East London might be a bit cheaper?

No point staying somewhere like Heathrow - it's a 60-90 minute drive away. If cost is a concern, try air bnb?

• mk2610mk2610 ✭✭
    Thanks Gladrags.

I was thinking of city centre rather than docklands if it's easier on the way back, so will keep looking. I'll probably just bite the bullet and find somewhere reasonably centre; it seems that for hotels that cost £60 on the Fri/Sun, they're up to £120 on the Sat night, so it isn't too bad.

Anyone any idea what dates the charity ballots/GFA/Other ballots are confirmed; ideally want to try and book up before the first rush starts!
  • I stayed at The Marylebone Travelodge when I ran this year ,nothing fancy but comfy beds and clean rooms , also superbly placed for the tube with easy access to several lines via Marylebone and Baker street ...
  • Travelodge Croydon, 5 minutes walk to station,30 minutes to Lewisham for start, 30 minutes back from Victoria at finish, from £58 for Saturday and Sunday night
  • mk2610mk2610 ✭✭
    Went with this; Premier Inn Hub at Westminister Abbey; Stayed in one of the Hubs at Brick Lane and it's pretty decent. £160 for the Sat/Sun night (£109/£51), pretty good considering how short a stumble it is from the finish line!

Still some good rates left if people need anything:

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/hub-london-westminster-abbey.html
  • I booked a lovely looking apartment in London docklands but they cancelled it 6 days before the marathon (I only found out by emailing to confirm my booking which I had already done two months prior to this). But I booked the Brittania hotel with 5 days to spare and it was fine, the room wasn't great but wanted to say there will be rooms available even if you leave it late. It's only a few stops on the DLR to the start so was perfect for us.
  • I have stayed over in Victoria on several occasions. Catch the red bus at the bus station to Waterloo East tube. Just 10 minutes or so travel time. Once at Waterloo follow the crowds to the platform that will take you to Blackheath ( free of charge). The finish line on the Mall is quite near Victoria. Hope this helps.
  • As above, re Croydon Travelodge, £70 all in, that’s for both nights
  • I went with Britannia International in the Docklands too. Wasn't too pricey and the route ran right past the front of the hotel which was convenient for my wife and son to spectate.
  • I always stay city centre and then its a train from Charing Cross in the morning (just come out of your hotel and follow the people with kit bags) and you're handy for the finish.

If you get a late check out and get a wiggle on you can grab a shower before heading off - but do stay Sunday if you can. A bit less stressful. 
  • the other thing to factor in is luggage, stay over Sunday if you can as you cannot fit all your luggage in the kit bag ( it's got smaller now ) 

friends of ours stayed in a travelodge and caught the tube in from the Elephant and Castle and said it was much cheaper that way

( I've been lucky in that I have friends who live in London that always let me bunk up saves me a fortune )

• Has anyone stayed in Bromley for the Marathon? If so, what is it like for getting to the Excel and the start?
  • Don’t know about excel but start is at least a 50 minute train ride with a change, don’t know about return, unless you’re staying with friends/family try Croydon Travelodge, much easier
  • > @dave wood 4 said:
    > Don’t know about excel but start is at least a 50 minute train ride with a change, don’t know about return, unless you’re staying with friends/family try Croydon Travelodge, much easier

Thanks Dave, is that Croydon Central or South? Do they put early trains on as at the minute on a Sunday you cannot get there before 9 via just one train?
  • Vodkabob, sorry about duff info, I’ll start again.... Bromley South to Lewisham via Nunhead, 30 minutes (then 10 mins walk to start area), finish to Victoria main line, (20-25 mins stagger) then 15-25 minute rail back to Bromley South (direct), hope that’s better for you 
  • > @dave wood 4 said:
    > Vodkabob, sorry about duff info, I’ll start again.... Bromley South to Lewisham via Nunhead, 30 minutes (then 10 mins walk to start area), finish to Victoria main line, (20-25 mins stagger) then 15-25 minute rail back to Bromley South (direct), hope that’s better for you 

I'm going to go with Croydon Dave but there are two :) Central and South, wasn't sure which was better.
  • Vodkabob, Croydon central is your best bet, it’s a 5 minute walk to East Croydon station,then 25-40 minutes to start (depending on summer timetable) then 20-25 minutes stagger to Victoria from finish and 15 minutes back to East Croydon, good luck 
  • > @dave wood 4 said:
    > Vodkabob, Croydon central is your best bet, it’s a 5 minute walk to East Croydon station,then 25-40 minutes to start (depending on summer timetable) then 20-25 minutes stagger to Victoria from finish and 15 minutes back to East Croydon, good luck 

thanks @Dave wood 4 I'm booked up. I'll going straight to Kings Cross at the finish to travel home so that'll be another set of worries about the Kit Bag size haha. thanks again.
  • You’re welcome, kit bags have become a little smaller over the last couple of years, you should be able to put a small overnight rucksack in, can’t find this years one to give you measurements!
  • Hi. don't suppose there is anyone who needs a family room in premier inn at Euston for the fri/sat nights? Sadly I can no longer run
  • HI Guys.... Im in a real pickle.... I did London ,last year and stayed in the Park Plaza Waterloo last year, amazing hotel with easy tube access to the start (30mins) then about a 10 min walk from the finish line....
    This year i was running so booked the hotel again, but i have had to pull out for medical reasons... IM NOW STUCK with a hotel booking where i can change the name but not get a refund....
    So if any one needs a hotel from Sat 21st for 2 nights please let me know as i could help out....
    if no one is interested how could i get rid of the room, it will not be used and I really want sell it to get the money back, would even be happy to raffle it off to get the money to give to my charity.... I just dont want it to got to waste
  • Hi after lots of injuries I think I might just be able to do London now and have found this thread re accommodation- thanks very usual as I’m travelling by myself and have no idea of London locations. Before I book anywhere are you Shabbacat still trying to reallocate your hotel booking? If so I might be interested, thanks 
  • I’m looking for accommodation for the Saturday night (21st) only. Ideally in the Limehouse/Shadwell/Docklands area but will consider other options.

If anyone has a room they no longer require please let me know!

TIA
  • BB, unless someone pulls out, I don’t think you have any chance at all of finding a room in that area, they have been booked for months, Travelodge have some rooms available in Croydon and Crystal Palace, both under an hour from start/finish/excel, I can give you travel arrangements for either if any help, all the best 
  • Yes, I was thinking it would be from a drop out rather than just general room availability!
    Past years I’ve travelled up on the morning so can do so again, but thought if anyone had a room going it would save me the early start!
  • Travelodge showing vacancies in Covent Garden amongst others for the Saturday ?
  • SarahMollySarahMolly ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi guys I have a family room (3 people) available for 21 and 22 April at London Central Euston Travelodge the price is £212 for both days which is what I paid for it. :)
  • Hi Guys, I am also staying in Travelodge Croydon Central on the day. Will there be a direct train from Croydon to Blackheath/Lewisham as google shows that this goes via London Bridge and takes just under an hour.

My Family are staying at the hotel with me however they are going to avoid the start line and hopefully see me later on, so i dont suppose anyone fancies meeting up in the travelodge to go to the start.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    no direct trains - you always have to change at London Bridge which is not ideal on marathon day as the trains are always pretty full by then.
  • Less crowded and slightly quicker option,tram from East Croydon to elders end then train to Lewisham ( 15 minute walk to both starts)