My Last Run

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    8miles in the dark in 1hr01. Running and some wading through standing water. The river is down but so many flooded fields and ditches. When did all this water turn up? New headtorch worked well - nice diffuse pool of light to run in to. Lit up a few bunnies. Saw the reflected light of fox eyes staring me out. No veg or racing to talk about. I think this deep into my running life racing is never gonna happen.
  • Having a bad week of it with mum, so not been online much and have had to be creative with my running plans (ie run instead of sleep). I managed to fit in a pacey 6 miles on Wednesday very late in the evening as I couldn't make it to running club. 15.2 miles long run yesterday was very good, I felt comfortable throughout and could have done more without any trouble. This makes me happy :-)
    This morning was an easy 4
  • Great running everyone.

i've been struck down with a horrible virus. My chest is burning and my throat and ear are so sore. Head is also pounding... ugh could do with out this. No running since a Wednesday.
  • Mm Hazelnut - I hope the cabbage field didn't smell like they usually do. I wonder what was in the puddle?
    Nessie, you're doing brilliantly considering you are taking care of your mum. That has to be tough. Well done on the 15 miler!
    Andrea, sorry to hear you're sick. Lots of fluids, rest and I'd definitely recommend a hot bath or a sauna.

I had a bit of a scare myself. When I was at hot Pilates on Thursday I noticed a patch of rash on my waist. I wasn't sure what it was until I remembered I'd had shingles in my late 20s. I woke up feeling quite run down so I went straight to the docs and he said it may or may not be shingles but he'd give me a prescription for aciclovir and I should take it if the rash got worse.
    But it hasn't got worse, fortunately, and I felt well enough to attend a running form workshop yesterday organised by my club. (Lots of drills and trying to persuade my body to use the proper form, which it doesn't want to do - trying to change the way I've been running for 50 years isn't something that will happen overnight). As the company doing it sponsors my club, I'm entitled to a free running form analysis so I may well go do that at some point.

Anyway, despite having a lot of tight bits and pieces I did persuade myself out for a 17 mile jaunt. It felt so much harder than the 16 I did last weekend - I could quite happily have stopped at 15 but I pushed through. I suspect the warmer temperatures (it was 11 degrees versus 2 degrees last weekend) meant I sweated more and was more dehydrated as a result.

I didn't see my blackbird friend today, but I did see a fat fox right at the end of my run. 
  • Sorry to hear that Nessie.  You are inspiration for getting the running in despite other life factors.   Please do get some sleep though..

Get well soon Andrea.

Good long run Cal.  Hope your shingles scare stays a scare - nasty thing to have I've heard. 

I ran both days at the weekend - a 5 mile recovery run on Saturday and a mostly steady 8 miler yesterday.  Was supposed to have been doing some strides but I didn't want to risk my calf by doing some mad sprinting.  Did try out one km at a bit slower than my 10 mile race pace.  No problems with that.  Will start getting back into speed work this week - but gently.  It was a lovely springlike afternoon yesterday.  Must remember though that it is only the end of January - forecast is for some snow possible towards the end of the week....
  • That's great progress,  Hazelnut. Glad it seems to have been just a minor injury blip.

Smart mileage Cal and Nessie, too. Starting to think about when to move my trying up to beyond HM. I like the idea of it...

Get well soon, Andrea. Both my little uns have been poorly this week, so lots of Beauty and the Beast and Harry Potter viewing for me.

Well, I've built up a 3 day streak, despite having to squeeze runs in. Saturday was a steady 6 miles. I had a couple of lethargic spells at 2 and 4 miles, but felt my inner Mo burst through for the final mile. Sunday, we went to see the Grey Seal colony at Horsey, with their pups. Very nice to watch, except when the wind caught their fishy guff and blew it our way! The sea air made us all hungry for chips, followed by a big crumble with custard. I don't learn. Despite leaving it 2 hours to digest, I went out and waddled and buried for 2.5 miles before coming home via the shortcut.
    Today was better. 11 , with hills and wind, in 1 hr 50 and starting to feel some stamina. Last couple of miles I had another burst of what I consider to be power. My training plan peaks this week - at 30 miles - so hope I can stick to it.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Mixed fortunes here: a poorly Andrea; aching Cal; Nessie needing sleep; Jts improved illumination; and Hazel back into it.   :)

Will - a Streaking rival!   ;)

A Darkrun of 10.2 miles last night - not a soul to be seen, or a ship for that matter.  Used the Freeport fence to foil a potential fall.  Beach was firm & smooth.

2 miles with the park to myself at 7am today.  
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hope you're getting better Andrea. Equally hope things will be manageable Ness. I'm having to take more responsibility for my mum and I twist and turn between frustration, worry, guilt etc. I hope you're alright. And I hope the fox didn't chew up Cal's blackbird.

8.4mile darkrun last night which lightened my less than buoyant mood. Today 13.2miles in just under 1hr37. Pretty windy and cold but I was barreling along quite nicely. Saw two child seats in the verge of country roads (different locations). They were empty. Maybe a fox got them. Past a college at closing time so had to pick my way through students. They really do like a skinny jean.
  • Nice running, JT. No, the fox was up my road, not Brockwell Park where the black and white blackbird lives. I'm sure he's fine. :smile:
    Lovely sunshine today but my right calf has been sore and tight for several days now. Thought it was just DOMS initially but it's not easing so I decided rest would be best. I've booked in to see the physio tomorrow as a precaution. I know all too well that I can run with grumbling tendons, but muscle trouble brings me to a halt. My calf tear in 2014 knocked me out for six weeks. Don't want a repeat of that.
    To cheer myself up I've just ordered some new shoes. I usually run in Nike Free Motions (formerly 3.0s) which have a 4mm drop, and I love them, but I've ordered some Zoom Flys which have a 10mm drop and should take the strain off my calves a bit. A lot of folks say it's smart to alternate shoes - something I've never really done - so perhaps it's time.
  • Zooming along there, JT. Have you thought of running in jeggings? ;)

Glad the fox is nowhere near the pied Blackbird, Cal. Leucistic birds normally getting nobbled pretty quickly due to their garish lack of camo. Hope you like your new shoes. I tested my new Saucony Hurricanes yesterday - very comf. They fit me nicely and I always seem to find a half price pair, essential as most of my salary goes on Lego. Hope the calf clears up.

And on the Fourth day...the streak continueth! Four loosening miles, which ended up quicker than planned. With Hazelnut's 'Train fast, race fast' mantra reverberating in my ears, my pace is indeed creeping up. Everything is working well and I'm enjoying the physical and mental benefits of this running lark.

Happy running all :)

I run, therefore I am.
  • Thanks for the kind wishes MLRers.  Life has been fairly hard since my mum and stepdad moved in last summer, but running is quite literally the thing that keeps me sane. In particular, the target of my sub 4 marathon. Realistically, mum's going to continue to get worse, but there are good and bad weeks. This week's marginally better, although her care needs have increased. Work, kids etc makes it all a jigsaw puzzle and a juggle.. Anyway- running is why I'm here :-)
    Yesterday was a swim, and this morning's 6 am session was 5 x 1k, using blocks on some fairly hilly bits. I've done the same session for the 3rd week running, and I'm making very incremental progress on my pace.
    Nice running for the rest of the MLRers- will catch up properly soon

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Zooming along there, JT. Have you thought of running in jeggings?
    I think of little else.
    10.76miles in bit over 1hr23 tonight. Very unusual that the first mile was quicker than the succeeding. The splits for the first and concluding half of the run where mirror images. About halfway the concept of reflected images and deflection in politics was preoccupying me so it's a nice parallel. It's curious where your thought go running through pitch black into a circle of torchlight.
  • Trying to find The right Set of Shoes or boots? Best Boots Hints Below cheap nike air max Absolutely nothing gives quite a quick taken involving style and design and even pen to a wardrobe really for a amazing brand-new number of footwear. The important for you to finding that shoes or boots which will definitely allow you to that envy of your respective buddies would be to possess a bit of abilities for the issue. Go on looking at this suggestions which adhere to, also , you will certainly possibly be all set up.
    To your upcoming shoes buy, do not go by exactly what aspect people assume you are, on the other hand come to a decision within the ideal footwear by just what suits. If a boots can feel additionally restricted, try this particular aspect upward.
    If you need getting different as well as one of a kind boots, try to look for one thing locally primarily based. THE quickly seek on the Online might reveal stores which have been in close proximity to everyone, nevertheless that you just include by no means ever previously find. The particular outside the process areas can provide many of your coolest looking options a person received ‘ capital t identify anywhere, as well as you might ‘ t defeated this area buyer care also.
    Identify the kind connected with arc you've got earlier than choosing your own activities shoes when not all are produced to fit every single kind of mid-foot. One of the ways to do this should be to dampen you a subsequently position your feet for a metal sheet involving plain document. Humid parts are mosting more likely to let you observe your arc form. You'll definitely view most of ones footprint but if your have ripped arches. When you have a top arc, everyone earned ‘ to can even view that core. It is a sensible way to the true reason for correct fit.
    http://www.letmetalk.info/forum/ideas/577-footwear-nike-surroundings-max-great-britain.html#1046
  • ^^ anybody understand that rubbish?

Careful with that calf Cal.  I like having alternative shoes.  Need to start looking around soon myself as my main road pair is getting a bit old mileage wise

Make sure you have slow miles in your training too Will.  You might have your work cut out to catch up with swittle's streak - at more than 700 days if I remember right.  I think my longest was 12.

11.5 miles yesterday evening, 5 flat on my own then 6.5 hilly with my group - five of us out which is a good number these days.  Good conditions - cool with very little wind.

4 miles recovery at lunch.  Tried switching from kms to miles on the watch, takes some getting used to.  
  • how do advertise this event in the south ?
  • I'm still too ill to run .. boo hoo.. started off with a sore throat, sore ear and aches and pains. Now it's an awful chesty cough, full on head cold & generally feeling like I've been hit by a bus. Its not flu but it's worse than a common cold! I hate not being able to run as well. 

I''ve been drinking shed loads of water and I still have a good appetite. I just want this gone!
  • Steady as you go, Cal.  Couple of fine sessions there. Hazel.

Oh dear, Andrea - I hope there's an improvement soon.

Streak stands at 764 after today's slowish 4-mile jaunt to the boating lake, up the prom & over the coastal park.  Still riddled with pools & puddles.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Combination of fine running and spammy bollocks. Well done to the former, go f*ck yourselves to the latter. I hope the virus passes quickly Andrea.
    3.7mile incline treadmill run yesterday. Today 19.25miles on country roads with some offroad bits. Cold but clear. 2hrs26 so (take or leave us only please believe us we are never gonna be) respectable pace. Stopped a few minutes to play with the Collie at an isolated farmhouse. Haven't seen the dog for ages. His eyes are different colours. It struck me he's looking greyer, but then it must be 6years since we first met. I don't want him to get old. All he wants in life is someone to throw a stick. It would be totally unacceptable not to.
  • Well the streak never got past 4 days. Knees and vomiting child number one saw it off.
    Tonight was a groundhog plod for 4 miles. Icy rain, wet shoes and a distinct lack of moonlight meant that was enough. I usually like the elements but enough with the winter already.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Hi,
    <a href="http://theelixirclinic.com/uk">iv vitamin therapy</a>
  • Dog interludes help me understand them better.  There are even a few which are quite chummy in a canine sort of way.  Projecting, a sub-3:30 Mara is indeed respectable.

Extrinsic factors are anathema to the Streak, Will.  Milder here by the Mersey - still soggy but so's the sea.  ;)

• I'm on another enforced rest. :( Very frustrating. Physio told me not to even think of running until next Wednesday. My calf is pretty stiff and sore, though it's better in some positions than others. It tightens up quickly when I sit for a while.
    Rather worried about my races now - I started my marathon training late as it was.
  • Hope you are feeling better by now Andrea.  If you can't run yet - do you have somewhere nice to go for a brisk walk instead?

Well put JT.  Great pacey long run.  Nice that a collie wants to play rather than chase you off.  I am wary of them.

Also nicely put by swittle regarding the elements.  Hope you don't catch anything nasty from the kid Will.

Sorry to hear about your calf troubles Cal.  Have you tried doing simple regular exercices whilst sitting like rotating and pointing / flexing your foot?  Just not to the point that it hurts and only a few reps at a time.  

I'm getting back into speed work again with a 10 miler on Thursday with 5 at around HM pace in the middle.  I had intended to do these at mara pace but was chased by two tractors for a good half-mile along the minor road I was using just after I started the speedwork and I just kept going at that pace.  The tractors didn't overtake as they were pulling some large branches - couldn't see that from in front. It was only after I turned off that I worked it out.

Today 6.5 miles with 8x100m strides with 200m recoveries.  First run in a while with decent legs and nothing hurt at all which was much appreciated.   Must have been the new shoes.  The predominant colour is white but there are now some nice blotches of brown so they don't look quite so straight out of the box.  Saw a record 6 other runners.

18 miler planned for tomorrow - trying to work out the logistics of a one-way with public transport involved and temperatures around freezing.
  • Wednesday was a medium long quality run of a bit over 9 miles and I was really pleased with my pace of 8.45 which felt easy ish
    Friday's long run was 16 miles, felt OK but the last 3 miles were into a fierce icy headwind so it was harder going than last week's long run
    Good running MlRers
  • Nice running Nessie

18 miles LSR for me yesterday in 2:50:08.  Was tired by around halfway already but I think that was the idea behind doing the p.m. run the day before.    

Ran along the river Aare which wasn't the best choice as the path was a lot rougher than I remembered - I had to mince my way over a million tree roots.  Half of the local population was out taking the air as well causing lots of weaving - I wasn't running at any sort of fast pace so not really a problem though.  

Testing some gels again - Powergel lemon-lime and strawberry-banana went down ok and stayed there but I'm not sure about the flavours yet.  They are what are handed out in my next marathon though and if I don't want to carry my own then I will have to get used to them.

Cool but not freezing cold - was glad of my extra layers for pre- und post-run though even if it did mean having to carry a rucksack.
  • Sorry to hear of further troubles Cal, hopefully the calf will heal fairly quickly so you can get back on the road soon.

I had my first race of the year yesterday which I only booked on Monday having had a dns at my last race I wanted to wait as late as possible so I had a better chance of not getting another injury and pulling out. I lined up for the Portsmouth Coastal Half for the fourth consecutive year hoping to get a decent time as this race has always caused me problems in the past, the first three miles were fast and flat before a slow beach stretch then into the chilly headwind as we headed north before turning around and getting back on a flat surface for a quick mile eight. Then there was some slow boggy ground to deal with before a final two miles along the promenade dodging the Sunday walkers! All done in 2.02.46 which is a five minute course pb for me so I'm really pleased with that, I could be disappointed not to get under two hours but I know the extra 15 seconds per mile wasn't in me yesterday. All in all a great race personally and I'm sure I'll be back again next year!
  • That's a great run, Pompey Matt. I know from experience that those coastal races aren't easy!

Looks like your training is going well, Hazelnut. Always rather jealous when I imagine the backdrops you must run with. I'm making sure (mostly unintentionally ) that I keep some slow miles in my regime!

Hope your calf clears up soon, Cal. Yet more patience required :(

At my end, 4.5 steady miles on Saturday avo and then a lovely 21st Junior Parkrun with my boy yesterday. Never fail to be warmed by the great atmosphere that Parkrun brings - and the bacon sarnies in the cafe afterwards are 11/10. One more and Nye gets his Marathon wristband :)

This morning I headed out in the snow showers for a full distance Half practice. Armed with my trusty and hardly sloshing at all camelbak I hit a new out and back route out of the city and past the hospital. With no gels in the cupboard I experimented with chunks of choc covered flapjack. Probably pure psychology, but I enjoyed the boost they gave me and managed not to choke. Plenty of hillage involved and made it home at 13.15 miles in 2:11. I held back a bit and still had some good push in me at the end, so happy with that.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nice job, Matt - I know someone else who did that and said it was cold. Course PB is excellent!

Hazelnut - I switched from Torq to SiS gels to take advantage of the free gels at Manchester. I really don't care for Lemon Lime (apple is quite nice though!) But I guess you can't always control which flavour you're given or manage to grab during a race.

Nessie and Will - well done for getting out there in the wintry conditions. Don't think I could manage a flapjack, Will. I think the biggest challenge for me doing an ultra (which is not going to be yet, but seems inevitable) won't be the aching legs but my inability to eat on the move. My ability to vomit is almost a superpower.

I did a little stress test today - just around the block. My calf isn't right (it's sore if I prod it and is uncomfortable in certain positions) but the good news is that it does seem that I can run on it. I will try a little run tomorrow if it doesn't react badly to the stress test.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well done PMatt on the race. I hope Cal that the calf holds up. Have you tried compression sleeves?
    Just under 16.4miles in gentle floating snowfall. Not enough to settle. Wrapped up snug in the cold. Past under some serious pylons and the cables were making a pleasant frizzle. Bit over 2hrs7. The splits don't make much sense but chugging along okay. A slightly contrived route adding on a few miles at the end. Yesterday was a fat lazy day. Need to keep the weight off as I'm running much happier.
  • Yeah I already wear them (have done since I tore my calf in 2014).
    Well done on the chilly 16 (and a bit). Glad you're running well!