too big to run?

Comments

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/soph1993">soph1993</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi everyone! 

Mum completly new here and have zero experience with running, except for about 3 years ago when I attempted c25K and struggled to even get past the first day! I'm 23 and have struggled with various health conditions -asthma, anaemia, vitamin D deficiency, depression, anxiety and sciatica! But I really want to improve my health and would love to start running. 

I've read a few posts of people saying to start doing 60 seconds or so running which I don't think I could do if my life depended on it! I get so out of breath and get this burning feeling in my lungs and feel like I'm going to collapse after about 20 seconds! Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice? Xx </div>
    </blockquote>
    *I'M new here!  Not mum new here! 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hi Soph

My first ever run, I managed 90 seconds running, then thought I was going to be sick.  It took about 3 minutes before I was even able to take a drink of water. 

Firstly, slow down.  Even if you think you are running slower than you can walk, you are probably running too fast ;).  Because you are using different muscles (or the same ones in a different way), your body isn't used to supplying them with oxygen as quickly as you need when running, so you will get out of breath very quickly.  So keep it really slow until you can run that 60 seconds without somone on standby with an oxygen tank.  Build up gradually, even if it's just an extra 5 seconds at a time.  Your body will adapt to the exercise, so each time you go out, it will get a little bit easier.  You need to keep at it though - if you leave too long between sessions the improvements will reverse.  3-4 times a week is best, even if one of them is a brisk walk rather than a  run.

Also, as you have asthma, use your inhaler before you start, and take it with you just in case. 

• Thank you so much for your advice, I'll let you know how I get on :) 
  • Hello, I recommend you to serch the most suitable running shoes. I think you should continue training.
    Good luck
    Marce
  • I think that the key is to build up slowly. You can start with just run for 30 seconds and then walk until you can run again and repeat it :)
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi soph1993, well-done for finding a running forum. If you can do 20 secs then you can do 20 seconds, that is 20 seconds more than many people. How about starting with a ten minute walk twice a day? After a few you could run for 20 seconds say every three mins, then go for 21 seconds then 22. You could then add on to the walk. A friend of mine started by running between lampposts, then ran for two lampposts, then built it up to three miles running. I would check with your GP about starting, just incase, but I do know people who run with many of your health conditions. 
  • Hi everyone, I hope that your running experiences have been going well. I too am struggling a little with the weight and running issue. For one thing, always wearing 2 sports bras means my washing is astronomical. What I have found though is that since I've started running with a colleague who runs slower it's much easier to pace myself and get into a rhythm. I think some of the issues I had before were that I felt self conscious and so felt I had to run a bit faster to prove I wasn't just a chubby loser! Plus running with someone is confidence boosting anyway. 
  • Hi, I was 18st when i started. i would just run around the block which was about 1/4 of a mile and build up to 2, 3, 4 laps etc as i didnt want to stray too far incase i got injured or couldnt run.

I had quite a few aches and pains to start with mainly my shins and ankles but it all went away after a few weeks.

now I run 10 miles + and feel great!
  • When I started running last October I weighed 19st 13lbs. 11 months later I now weight 12st 10lbs

I started off just doing jogging until I was out of breath and then would walk to get my breath back and then jog again and then walk when I was out of breath again and so on. As time went on the distance where I would get out of breath became longer and that is when you know you are making progress. My run/walk back then was only 2km 3 times a week until I lost weight and gained fitness.

Now after losing 102lbs in 11 months I run 5km 6 days a week without stopping.

I never thought before I started I would become a runner but hopefully my story will answer your question
  • Hi,
    I can't start a new thread. Can anyone help me? ADMIN?
    I can only post on the end of threads that have already been started. There is no "start new thread" button anywhere, I have tried using google chrome and Firefox as my browser.

I posted on this one because I am somewhat rotund and a beginner runner but I would like to to be able to post properly rather than invade everyone else's topics.

Thank you
  • TrogsTrogs ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Welcome Spockssister. You have to post several comments before you're allowed to start a new thread, so just post on other threads or talk to yourself on here for a while until the 'new discussion' button appears at the top of the page.
  • Ah, thank you, I'm sure I can find plenty to say!

As I'm here - I am 47, 5 ft 2" tall, female and 100kg, I was 105 kg but I have been running for a few weeks now. I gained 50 kg on antipsychotics, I am a manic depressive, I am now off antipsychotics now and on lithium which makes me pour with sweat and drink gallons but I feel great. I had forgotten that I am not a naturally lazy person!

I say I have been running, what I mean is I have been going on 2.5 km walks with brief running interludes.
    I tried running using a couch to 5 km app which was disheartening as it wanted me to run for a minute and I couldn't. It then asked me to walk for 1.5 mins before running again. Repeat six times Well my recovery time is a lot longer than 1.5 minutes. The app also said "you go great runner!" every now and then which made me say rude words so I decided to do it my way.
    I now go on my brisk walks and then run for as long as I am able. Once I am recovered I do it again. It is working very well, I am finding it easier each time and can now do 170 metres. I'm totally addicted. Problem is I have pulled a muscle in my calf, only a little pull but I want to keep running and my husband says I have to stop for a few days.

poo to no running.

I also have a meniscus tear in one knee, but I have had that for decades. I have ordered a support for that because I don't want anything to stop me running again.
  • TimGrove said:
    I started off January at nearly 19st7lbs new year and struggling to do a mile stop start. Now (April) I'm 16st10lbs and doing 3 miles plus and getting further week by week. Keep at it, it won't get easier but you'll go further faster and recover quicker! :)
    Thanks Tim I have read through all of the threads and without exception they are all inspirational but your weight reduction is particularly relevant to me as I too am 16st.I have just started another thread and basically now finding this I think I may have found the answer to the question I asked. It was about basically being able to get back to running longer than a mile and faster than 13 minutes for a mile. Clearly many of our colleagues on here have or are facing the same problem but I first started running over forty years ago and now want to get back to doing it aged 67.The answer it now seems to me is to go out on a regular basis and to not feel ashamed about having to walk when you feel the need to. Its frustrating to think I have actually once run a marathon but I guess that is life !. Got to agree with everyone though that says there is no better feeling than going out for a run and particularly when its dark and cold. Ok I guess we all a bit masochistic but I am sure we can all live with knowing that. Happy runs everyone.

• kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    I would say if you can’t run 1 minute try fast walk or slow jog. You can jog near enough walking speed. Also being able to walk long distances does help get started with running. 

I never used to run but walked a lot. I started running in November last year, by started I mean doing 20 to 30 seconds running every so often. I got persuaded to do a 5k Santa dash in December, started off run bits walk rest. I was offered personal training which I accepted and that really made me push myself. There was no way I would be able to run it all, but I decided I would complete in fastest time I could. Honestly 2k would have been more than enough for me. My personal trainer had told me at start he would finish the 5k then come back to see me finish. By the time he came to me I was passed caring how long it took me and just wanted it over. I would have gladly walked all the last 1k but he had other ideas. He encouraged me to run and videoed me on his phone so I didn’t have much choice to try to run. I think I did very slow jog most of last 1k. I finished it in 50 minutes. 

Since then hen I ran my first 1k and 2k later that month then my first 5, 6 and 7k last month all a week apart. Now I’m practicing my speed towards doing the 10k in April. I have a few sessions with personal trainer end of this month and next month. He wants me to finish in 90 min neither of us are sure if I will but I will be doing my best. Got 8k run end of this month really that is the least I will be aiming for would love to do more but know it will be hard. As for speed I honestly couldn’t care less my main focus will be keep jogging all way.
  • i started a c25k at 17 stone (I was heavy drinker and smoker too) aged 38, I'm now 45, 12 stone and am off to do a half marathon today, a 20 miler next sunday and am aiming at sub 3.30 for Brighton marathon

where c25k is great is it gives you a structured improvement plan

if you can't face that, can you get some form of programmable timer, and create your own plan of something you can take and then slowly increase it. Alternatively is there some geography on your routine you can use, is there a hill or a stretch of ground you can use to try and treat as your higher intensity time

Do 3 sessions and then try and increase either the speed or duration

I'm not going to lie to you, having made the change it feels amazing, I love looking at my body in the mirror, and clenching my calves is my "guns", but I'm just vain I guess

You can do it, and it will feel amazing once you have

Richard
  • It's great that people want to get fit and run but running should be fun and I don't think losing weight is the goal of running and may also not be sustainable, especially through injury. I'm of the mind that losing weight should come first. Personally I eat paleo, not only will it help you lose weight but will also give you the nutritiets you need to start exercise healthily. Calorie controlled diets seem to just starve you. Also calorie controlled diets means to a lot of people to cut out decent fats and save their calories for a pizza and alcohol at the weekend!
  • Hey guys,
    sorry to hijack the post! My situation is a bit different from most here who asked for help.

So, I'm fat. I started dreaming of running at the end of 2016. Back then I went in too thirsty and got a shin splint. It was a lesson learned but also something that gave me anxiety about trying running again. Fast forward to this January. I decided to start strength training and walk on the treadmill with incline, building up to 30min (I have been doing 30min like that with 8 to 10% incline, not fast paced, just trying to build endurance). Total workouts are about 1h40min, every other day.

Now I really want to start running. So today I did some jogging, alternating 2min walking, 2 min jogging, for 30min (3min warm up and 3min cool down) on the treadmill as to avoid too much impact. I didn't feel out of breath at any point, and it was quite easy. However, I know this is a new activity for my muscles and joints so I'm being careful about putting too much strain on them.

My plan was to stick more or less to the couch to 5k training. But I'm afraid of losing the cardiovascular capacity I gained by training walking on an incline. So I was thinking of doing 1 day running, 1 day rest, 1 day walking with incline, 1 day rest and repeat. Do you think that would work or should I just stick to couch to 5k training and I should be fine? I don't know if I'm being over cautious or just prudent.

Thanks in advance!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi Litha - well done for starting out and having an aim to run. I don't think you're being over cautious, especially as you suffered shin splints previously, but in terms of the question, do you stick with your current plan on the treadmill or do the C25K it's a tricky one to answer. 

I think if you switched to C25K you wouldn't lose anything in terms of your cardio capacity. And generally a structured training plan is better as it is easier to follow , you can monitor improvements and have an end goal in sight, whether that's just completing the programme or running a 5K. 

However the treadmill programme you highlight also has it's merits as you're fitting in sensible stages. The only question I would have is do you feel it will help you improve, i.e. would it motivate you? 
  • Elaine, as a "new" Runner with a long way to go, I am curious as to how you got on? Are you running still?
    Soph 1993 - you too? How did you get on?
    Anyone - how on earth to I dig out the 2018/most recent threads??!! ALL I can see/find are 2017 and previous posts!!!
  • So many dangerous advices here. For everyone who weigh 220+ pounds, please consult a doctor first. People like that are often prohibited to run, because they can easily hurt knees and ankles.

If the doctor allows it, start with walking, even if you think you can run.
    <iframe height='454' width='300' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/athletes/2146088/latest-rides/2d71f42475017af06c1303352d135dcd4026aab0'></iframe>
  • Hi all, just found this forum so be gentle with me. At 51, 6ft 2 and 16 stone I decided it was time to shed some timber and get active, so decided to try the c25k. Much to my surprise over the course of a couple of months I became a runner ! Given that before I started I was out of breath walking up stairs I'm amazed at what I've achieved. I've lost about 3/4 stone, mainly around my middle. My running times wouldn't trouble Mo Farrah but my best 5k is 33 minutes and I've just increased my distance this last week to 6k (First time was 40 minutes). I live in Lance and it's fairly hilly and rural so I've mapped out a couple of routes that are challenging. I feel so much healthier and I'm immensely proud. It's a clichė but if I can do it, anyone can. I agree it's important to take things gently, especially at the beginning and I found the c25k just about the right pace for me. I remember my trepidation at the week 5 20 minute run, but the feeling of elation when I did it was incredible. Every time I finish a run I feel the same. So I may not be the fastest, and the only person I'm competing against at the minute is myself, but I would encourage anyone who wants to get fit and lose a bit of weight to give it a go. Do off at your own pace though, and set little targets as you go along.
  • Flipping spellcheck. Meant to say I live in Lancashire!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Haha, glad you posted that - I was just off to google "Lance"...

Well done on your progress - no wonder you feel good!  Have you discovered parkrun yet?  Free, timed, measured 5k run every Saturday morning, all around the country, with a great social aspect too. 
  • This is a really good thread cos it shows people can do it even if they are bigger.

It wont let me do posts here but i actaully come cos i was wondering about it. I am classed as obese but i want to try running (except from just on the treadmill). I didnt know if i can. I wondered of i should loose weight first but then iv got loads to loose so i would b waiting forever so is that just delaying it. Thought i might as well start nnow, no time like the present! 
    3yrs ago i never would of thought i can go the gym but iv been going regular ever since so i proved myself wrong before i can do it again.
    Just wanna say respect out to everyone in here i think yous can all do it!
  • Morning Billy and welcome. I'd definitely suggest starting now. Running is a great way to lose weight and it's also a wonderful way to ensure you maintain your target weight once you reach. 

A couple of words of advice:-

• Might be an idea to get checked over by your GP before you start. Even though you've been going to the gym for 3 years it's probably worthwhile getting the all clear first of all before stepping things up.
    • Try the C25K app. It takes you through starting to run at a sensible level so that you're not doing too much too quickly. It's no fun to start and then have to stop due to an injury.

Good luck.
  • Aye nice 1 cheers. I done the c25k app before but didnt stick with it so that sounds like a good start
  • Some similarities here with my situation - good reading!
  • Apologies for reviving an old thread but I’m a newbie so I need grow up a bit before I can start a thread for myself.

I’m approaching 40 far too quick for my liking and have gone from been a keen rugby player and pretty good runner in my younger days to a tired overweight Dad.

I’ve been doing the C25K on and off for an age, been doing it this time since November with a lay-off over Christmas, (excuse number 1)! I’m stuck at week 4 and after reading this forum I have finally accepted what I knew all along but wouldn’t admit to myself is that I’m running too fast. I have nearly mastered week 4, I’m up to 3.5 minutes on the last 5 minute run.

I’m running on a treadmill with a view of moving onto the roads when I’ve gained some fitness and feel more confident. I’m doing the walking bits at 5.5kph and running at 10kph. Looking at the later weeks for time and distance (week 5 day 3), C25K to me suggests running pace to be about 10kph?

My obstacles/excuses for struggling to be committed are I work away from home, often overseas, often offshore. When away I do a manual job 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for sometimes up to 6 weeks. After a week or so of working I am too tired to run and go to the bar instead (when one is available).
  • Hi snagsboson - welcome to the forum and also to running.

I can fully understand the working lifestyle can impact on your ability, and desire, to run. I've been in the same situation of working overseas for periods of time, although not offshore (rigs. ships?), and working long days as well. It's not always easy to find the time during the day and, as you say, by the end of it you're too tired.

It does come down to a bit of discipline and motivation I'm afraid. I always find that those times when I convince myself to run even if I'm tired or not really 'feeling it' are the sessions where at the end of it I feel a touch more satisfaction when I've done it. Even if it's just a short easy paced run. 

Is it possible you could get out before work starts?
  • If running 10kph i would suggest maybe a little fast and would just slow down a little to say 8kph and get your confidence at lower speed

Also best place is too run is outside as imo it is loads easier to run further then a treadmill. Its dark at the moment as well in evenings so even better if you feel a little self concisouns.