VLM 2018!!

Comments

• For a 4 h finish time what time of day do you reckon I could expect to be on the tube and on my way home?
  • I would allow 20 mins to cross start line, 4hours on course,30 mins from finish to Charring Cross tube, so easily we’ll within 5hours of start time (yet to be confirmed) you should be on your way home!
  • I agree with Dave Woods 4.

This will be my 34th consecutive London Marathon and only when I am with celebs does it take longer after finishing.
  • Thanks for the advice, so I live in finsbury park and I need to catch a 8 pm flight from heathrow, do you think this is doable?
  • Chenerobhang, Charing Cross to Paddington then onto Heathrow, 54 minutes,no problem,have a good run/holiday,lol?
  • Just a quick question, as I couldn't find it by searching.  I'm entered after getting a ballot place, which colour start would I be?  Just trying to work out travel routes to/from airb&b.  Many thanks
  • I've always been very impressed by the finish line organisation at VLM and speed of getting through; a couple of years back I didn't even have to go to the truck and ask for my bag, I was walking (stumbling) along past them and a volunteer tapped me on the arm and handed it to me - must have spotted me ambling along and picked it out.

@Happy Bunny - I don't think you find out until getting your official letter; I might be wrong but I think that ballots are split over Red and Blue.
  • Ballot is Blue
    Charity is Red
  • A quick question on starting pens-does anyone know which starting pen an expected 3.15, 3.30 and 3.45 finisher will be in at the red start point?
  • Southwarkrunner,

This is a perennial question - please note everyone.

Pen 1   sub3

Pen 2   3 - 3:14:59

Pen 3   3:15 - 3:29:59

Pen 4   3:30 -3:44:59

Pen 5   3:45 – 3:59

Pen 6   4:00 – 4:14:59

Pen 7   4:15 – 4:29:59

Pen 8   4:30 - 4:59

Pen 9   5:00 and up.

The next question I suspect that will be asked is about pacers and their target times - well here is the answer:

• 6:52-minute miles (predicted time: 2 hours 59 minutes)
    • 7:26-minute miles (predicted time: 3 hours 15 minutes)
    • 8-minute miles (predicted time: 3 hours 30 minutes)
    • 8:35-minute miles (predicted time: 3 hours 45 minutes)
    • 9-minute miles (predicted time: 3 hours 56 minutes)
    • 9:43-minute miles (predicted time: 4 hours 15 minutes)
    • 10:18-minute miles (predicted time: 4 hours 30 minutes)
    • 10:52-minute miles (predicted time: 4 hours 45 minutes)
    • 11:22-minute miles (predicted time: 4 hours 58)
    • Run/walk pace (predicted time: 5 hours 20 minutes). Please note the Run/Walk pacers are only present on the Red and Blue Starts and not on the Green Start.

We start at the back of the pen (apart from pen 9 where we are about the middle - you can't miss us as we have a big flag on our backs and it is the same colour as the start so runners cannot get confused as too which pacer to follow when the route merges just after 3 miles

You can come and chat to us at the Runners World stand at the Expo for any additional clarification or just to calm your nerves - trust me, we are just as keen to help you get you over the finish line in the time we set out at.

There will be a Pacers Hub shortly but in the meantime please visit www.runnersworld.co.uk/pacing

In case anyone missed it, yes I will be one of two 5 hour (well 4:58) pacers from the blue start. Last year my finishing time was 4:57:59 with every 5km split being within 1 second of the 7 minutes/km average. 

• Some more preemptive answers:

Pacers

do not wait for those following them for loo breaks.

keep an even pace throughout the race - neither banking time nor speeding up later for negative splits.

are nice people who actually enjoy helping others to achieve their target times.

like being appreciated for their effort at the end of the race - a thank you and a smile is all we need.

Hope this helps

• Harmander-thank you for your comprehensive reply and yes I will be thanking those pacers whom I run near on the day!
  • Oh well, looks like,at best,I’ll be joining the run/walk pacers on 22nd. I’ve had pain on inside of left knee for last few weeks,finally saw doctor Monday,prescribed pain relief and referral to hospital, just back from sports therapist and apparently it’s “medial cartilage injury “ have excercises and appointment for next Thursday for assessment, but, no impact training for immediate future,so looks like it’s not going to be as much fun as usual 
  • Just back from Sports Injury physio,”do not under any circumstances run the London Marathon in April “ were his parting words, so if anyone wants a starting line place I have one going spare 
  • Really sorry to hear that Dave - if you have discounted the thought of deferring it till next year let me know.
    Sent you a private message
  • Harmander, sorry it was really a “tongue in cheek “ message as I remembered the controversy a similar comment caused last year, I have actually contacted Marathon Towers and deferred to 2019, apologies for any upset incurred! 
  • No problem, I understand - have messaged you to say the same
  • Can anybody help please? How does the “track a runner “ work, does it give a GPS position for the person or just time they cross 5k mats? Also is it available for Android or just iPhones? I’m intending to move around the quieter parts of the course following a friend,don’t want to miss too much of the great atmosphere just because I can’t run this year, many thanks!
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sorry dave - can't help with your question! And sorry to hear of your DNS - that's a real shame :disappointed:

I have a question of my own... the paperwork that's need to collect your number from the Expo - is that the original acceptance letter that I received a while back or is there another number collection letter sent out closer to the actual date?

If there's another letter sent out, does anyone know when it's sent? I'm leaving for Boston on Thursday 12th April and I have to take all my stuff for the VLM with me too... I'm paranoid I'm going to forget something or have something missing!

• Hi all, this is my first post so I hope it is in the right place. Does anyone know how long it takes to cross the start line? I'm wondering if I will get cold! I know some events people take a jumper to leave behind. This is my first marathon so I 'm quite anxious, mainly about the daft small details!
  • Little Nell, thanks for concern ?, you will receive a final instructions magazine usually first weekend in April, this contains a confirmation letter that you need to take to the Expo to claim your running number and kit bag (don't forget photo ID) between the 18-21of April.                  Laura 82, if you are red start it can take up to 20mins to cross start line, an old jumper or hoodie is a good idea, discarded clothing is collected and passed on to charities afterwards ?
  • Little Nell,

Or you can nominate someone else to collect your number for you if you give them your written authority together with a copy of your ID and they take their ID with them etc
  • vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    How is everyone's training going? Not long now until the day.
  • Training?  What is that?
    Was told not to do any in case it tires me before the day.
    Just kidding - nearly 600 miles since 1 January, two full and two halves done with another two full before the big day and I nearly forgot, still got about 5 Parkruns to do too.
  • Harmander - 2 full still to do, you mean actual marathon events or 26 mile training runs??

The Pens you listed above, can people move between them or choose? I realised I'm probably allocated to Pen 5, but would like to run with the pacer (for as long as possible) who would be at the back of Pen 4.
  • Glenjones
    Yes, Brightlingsea marathon on Sunday and the RAF Centenary Marathon on 1 April.
    As for the Pacer in pen 4, I would try to start as close to the front of pen 5 and when the gun goes off move closer - although I don't think that is necessary because of chip timing you will always be a few seconds in hand even if you then ran shoulder t shoulder once you caught up with the pacer.
  • Thanks for the replies dave and Harmander - very helpful. Harmander, I'll definitely get my number myself - got to find something to fill my time in the few days I've got after I land! See you at the Expo - I'm thinking Friday... don't accidentally get VIP food before I arrive - I know it's the sort of thing you do! :wink::tongue:

laura - you might want to consider a bin bag with holes cut in for your arms and head as well - to wear if it's raining.

Training's going well for me, thanks vodkabob... I've banked two 20-milers and a 21... HM PB a month ago and another HM on this coming Sunday, then 23 miles, then taaaaaaaper... :smiley: How are you getting on? Have you got your post-race travel conundrum sorted?