Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I frankly would not pay anywhere near that money for what I call my plodding shoes. I use the gt-1000 and rarely pay over £60. Neither do I track my mileage and put them in the bin at 400 miles. I look at the shoe wear and how my knees feel, which is the biggest give away. some pairs ill get 600 from and other for some reason 350.

I am however guilty of spending good money on the vaporfly 4% shoe, but they are quite frankly a game changer. An amazing shoe.

Gerard, I'm one of the pillocks who sits in spin with cycling shoes and bib shorts on. I do though draw the line at that so don't wear gloves or a cycling top! A 5k road race in February is a rare one!

I've never done any of those listed races, MSE. My targets are Bath half start of March (though that'll is unlikely to yield a pb after the last 6 weeks) and London. I'll do a parkrun or two in between and a local 10k no doubt.

Training well, GD. Hopefully this lurgy will be gone soon.

Freemers, tough decision to make. I'm hoping I've recovered just in time to salvage things. Better to get injured now than in 8 weeks when you've put all the work in.

Good easy running, oo and welcome back to it Running gas.

So, lunchtime I am going to try running a bit faster than I have been. I shall be doing my staple 5 at mp around Worcester racecourse. I have about 30 identical sessions stored over the last 2 years so I can get some good data as to current fitness situation. I am expecting it to be perceivably harder than it is as since racing NYE I have not run beyond bottom end easy. To encourage me along I have treated myself by packing my racing shoes to run it in!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

5 miles at 'mp' came out 6.39 average. Decent steady effort. I basically do these and target 160 average bpm which is where today came. Same run on 4/10 (2 weeks before brum mara so peak fitness) on same loop was 6.40 for 159. So on that eveidence, at that intensity fitness isn't hugely damaged.

• MSe, I looked at that race list and thought it was the thread list. 
  • An easy 7 miles (8:20 pace) today. Feeling better every day, cough has just about gone, just snot now! I plan to do 50+ miles this week.

DT19 - love your MP. Do you find 160bpm easy to maintain during a marathon race even with cardiac drift? I think I would fry if I started the race at that intensity. :p
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Running gas- No I don't keep it that low in a mara, I try to but it drifts in the latter 6.

Looking back, at the Brum mara my average hr was 167. The reality is that I could not run a mara at 6.39 pace, however to replicate to some extent the right effort level for the training effect for such a much shorter distance, that is what I aim for. My racing hr for a half is usually 172/173-175 so 160 as an effort level seems a reasonable place to pitch it.

Looking further back to London 2017, 2 weeks out I did the same session as today at 6.52 mm for 160bpm. My average pace at the race was 6.59mm, losing most of those 7 seconds in the last 3 miles. Just looking at my garmin data and my hr was 160 and above from about 1 mile in and spent most of the 2nd half just under 170.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Let’s get a race list going folks. Add your entries and goals if you’re prepared to share them. Don’t let this be all about me.  It’s very useful to have an online cheering squad. I’m
    hoping I’ve not jinxed myself by doing this.  Me and DNS are close bedfellows!

Sunday 11 March
    - Surrey Half Marathon: MsE

Sunday 6 April
    - Richmond Half Marathon: MsE

Sunday 20 May
    - Sutton 10K: MsE

Saturday 9 June
    - 65K Surrey Hills Ultra: MsE

Sunday 17 June
    - Richmond 10K: MsE

Saturday 14 July
    - Elmore 7 miles: MsE

Sat 21- Sun 22 July
    - Thunder Run: Minni, MsE

Sunday 12 August
    - Wimbledon 5K: MsE

Sunday 7 October
    - Chester Marathon: MsE

• Sunday 18 Feb
    - Wokingham Half Marathon: PMJ sub 90

Sunday 11 March
    - Surrey Half Marathon: MsE

Sunday 6 April
    - Richmond Half Marathon: MsE

Sunday 20 May
    - Sutton 10K: MsE

Saturday 9 June
    - 65K Surrey Hills Ultra: MsE

Sunday 17 June
    - Richmond 10K: MsE

Saturday 14 July
    - Elmore 7 miles: MsE

Sat 21- Sun 22 July
    - Thunder Run: Minni, MsE

Sunday 12 August
    - Wimbledon 5K: MsE

Sunday 7 October
    - Chester Marathon: MsE
  • 5k road race for me tonight. No heroics, started snowing a bit at the start but otherwise not too bad, very cold with a light breeze. Scores on the doors 18:46. Breathing felt ok, legs a bit flat but to be expected after the past three days of running. I'll have a look at that list and see if I can add anything later. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A bit careless there, GM. Could have had an 18.45.  :D
    Joking of course. That's top bombing, that is, especially in less than ideal conditions, nice work.

Actually enjoyed my run tonight. Met 3 pals at the track to run 10 miles in the streets. Car reported sub zero themperatures so it was a gloves night.
    We'd all done similar runs last night so we did alternate miles of 7.2x and 6.5x pace. I've done this session before and find it takes the boredom out of just bashing it out straight. Two of us treated ourselves to a 6.38 final mile, just for fun. ;)  

Right hand felt like it had frostbite at the end. Thicker gloves next time.

49 miles since last Thursday, nearly up there with MsE. :p
  • Nice running G-Dawg. 18:45 on Strava but haven't seen official results yet. :) 
  • DT19 - some very impressive stats and you look like you're still in good shape.
    RunningGas - pleased to hear you're well on the way to recovering from the flu.
    GM - great result there for your road race; hope the official result is <= 18:45.
    Managed not to oversleep this morning in spite of another late night. Did 13 miles morning with 12 x 100m strides - first 6 miles avg 8:24 and last 7 avg 7:44.
  • Well my sports therapist's reaction when she saw my Achilles and felt my calf yesterday was "blimey".  It has thickened up a fair bit and all up the soleus muscle is very hard.  We collectively agreed I would not run for a few weeks at least, and I need to keep up the exercises, and have a short course of ibuprofen to try and reduce the swelling.  I think I knew that would be the reaction, and at least it means I can put VLM out of my mind!

I will enjoy reading how your own training and preparation is going.

Birch - to answer your question about autumn marathon - yes, hopefully.  Looking at Birmingham currently which is the best option dates-wise.  But it's £58 to enter (being a Great Run event I am not surprised), so will search around for alternatives first!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done on the 5k, Gerard. Still sounds like more in pipeline.

Good on-going training G-Dawg and Gul.

Freemers- Bad news but an early decision is better than a last minute withdrawl. I ran the Brum half in October which was the inaugural event. Most people I know wouldn't do it again, including me. The organisation etc was pretty slick as you'd imagine. The negatives for me were-

8.30am start (split between sub 4 and rest of field who started at 9.30).

Very little on course support until around 10am.

Very little choice of people to work with (I was 107th in 3.07 and on my own largely from 18 miles).

Hilly! Strava logged it at around 1200 foot. That is double London and treble Yorkshire. The steepest incline was reserved for 25.5 miles!

A soul destroying 9 mile loop in the middle that you did twice that involved a lot of gradual climbing and a largely unimaginative course.

A random finish line that didn't really capture the occasion and was only in site for the last 50m (perhaps I am spoilt having only run London before this).

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the injury is bad, Freemers. I was hoping it would be like my soleus/Achilles issue for my Paris campaign a few years back (2013). The physio admitted to me later that when he saw the state of the bruising and swelling that there was no way I'd get to the Paris start line but didn't tell me at the  time.
    I bought Compressports calf guards and wore them to work, did the exercises he gave me and slowly came back to running via the treadmill. All this drama took place in weeks 7 to 11 of a 17 week campaign (similar to you?). Got to Paris not feeling confident, had a cautious start, had to stop at 16 miles to stretch the injury area out as I was sure it would snap but still managed a 3.23 which was a PB at the time.
    Sounds like I've been luckier than you but maybe take things week by week and see how it goes?

Sending super powered healing vibes!!  B)
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone, I live in hope of scraping under 3.15.  First run yesterday after a easier week last week.  After a 1.5 mile warm up managed 10 minutes @6.55 pm, 5 min easy, 5x3 mins @5k pace 90 sec recovery, and 1.5 mile warm down.  I struggled on the 5k pace, might be because of the injection I had at the dentist the previous evening.  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Poacher said:
    Birch you are sly-ly putting in some v good quality - can we tempt you to another mara? 
    Hmm , I am supposed to be retired  . . . however, just noticed that my club's record for VoGit65 is 4:09, so that really needs modifying . . . although another 19 months before I reach that , ahem, "landmark" . There's also no VoGit65 club record at all for 20 miles  . . .     

It's just that 20 miles seems a long way now, so to do a load of them again in a marathon campaign is a bit daunting  . .

anyway, 16 this morning d & d  - very cold, but beautiful out at Derwent.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - more good racing there  . . . 

GDawg - decent miles  . . .   

Freemers - I think Leicester is on same day as Brum, and Abingdon around that time. Chester is a good event, but may not be that different from Brunm in terms of cost  . . .  
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sunday 18 Feb - Wokingham Half Marathon: 
    PMJ sub 90

Sunday 11 March - Surrey Half Marathon: 
    MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26

Sunday March 25th - Cranleigh 21
    G-Dawg MP tester

Sunday 6 April - Richmond Half Marathon: 
    MsE

Sunday 22 April - London Marathon
    G-Dawg sub 3.09

Sunday 20 May - Sutton 10K:
    MsE

Saturday 9 June - 65K Surrey Hills Ultra: 
    MsE

Sunday 17 June - Richmond 10K: 
    MsE

Saturday 14 July - Elmore 7 miles: 
    MsE

Sat 21- Sun 22 July - Thunder Run: 
    Minni
    MsE

Sunday 12 August - Wimbledon 5K: 
    MsE

Sunday 7 October - Chester Marathon: 
    MsE

Sunday 7 October - Chicago Marathon: 
    G-Dawg sub 3.05
  • GerardM - great results in cold conditions!

G-Dawg - I agree, it makes it much more fun mixing the pace up during runs instead of slogging away.

Gul Darr - Nice running!

Freemars - Sad to hear about your Achilles/Calf problems. I have suffered from that in the past, mainly due to playing football on AstroTurf but a monthly massage keeps it in check now. I also found that when I switched to the Hoka Clifton as my shoe of choice it helped...could be a coincidence but I feel much more protected with the extra cushioning!

9 miles for me today with 7 x 1K repeats at 6:40 pace in the middle. Was harder than it should have been after 2 weeks out but it's "hay in the barn" as they say!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Good running, Running gas and Mr soft.

8 miles tonight as my first stab at a midweek long. Kept effort at recovery so 8.16mm. Spin day tomorrow before some more running Friday and Saturday. 
  • Sunday 18 Feb - Wokingham Half Marathon: 
    PMJ sub 90

Sat 24 Feb - Parly Hill XC
    GM try to stay on my feet

MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26

G-Dawg MP tester

MsE

Sunday 8 April  - Jersey Spring 10k
    GM - 38:30

G-Dawg sub 3.09

MsE

MsE

MsE

MsE

Minni
    MsE

MsE

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.05
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
     That is a very solid 20 miler indeed. What are your plans this year? I recall you tend to run Wokingham Half.

No Wokingham this year as it clashes with one of Son No 1's rowing events.  I remember trying to hang on to some Datchet Dashers runners last year as they went past me at 7 miles but they left me for dead. So my HM plans are Worthing (this weekend) and Surrey.

Poacher said:

SBD that's a standout LR, assuming that you are targeting a spring mara.  Are tempted by 2:5X?

Always a nice target but I'll take 3:19:59 for a London 2019 place at the moment!

Good to get the first midweek LR in DT19.

That's a long looking list - will add some details shortly!

That doesn't sound good Freemers.

A good workout nonetheless RunningGas.

10k recovery on the treadmill tonight - all nice and easy.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Gul – Please define not oversleep? :wink: Great running!

Freemers – Think of the rehab and the nice training when the weather is more kind. I hope you recover swiftly!

DT19 – Re Brum – One of my pals has run 6 sub 3 mara’s on the bounce and she ran 3:0x, she said it was not fast at all and didn’t rave about it . There must be better alternatives out there.

G-Dawg  - You’re catching fire already and not long over the lurgy, be careful not to burn too may matches though ( think that was one of TR’s sayings). I like your targets btw! A friend of mine did Chicago last year and ran 2:59! That was his quickest mara by a long way. I’ll have to ask him what he thought about it.

MrSoft  -  A positive sounding session there. Well done!

Birch – A runner of your calibre deserves to own that V65 club record. I’m sure you will, with lots to spare and it’s maybe a case of getting your head around recent past endeavours and focusing on the now and future, because it’s there for the taking, big time! Nike! :smiley:

RunningGas – Nice!

SBD – You’re going well. Don’t be shy, add your name to MsE’s list. :wink:

Double scoop for me today, 3.2 miles in the sun but Baltic cold air on lunch and then 7 miles up several steep hills. Could be looking at monster mileage for me this week at this rate. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Yikes. I have two boxes from quotes but no quotes?  I feel under pressure to provide one. How about this... "The impediment to action becomes the action. What stands in the way becomes the way." from Marcus Aurelius, one of the greatest stoics of all time.  Food for thought.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    And actually very pertinent to runners with goals.

Thanks for the ideas, @GerardM I shall try incorporate.  Always good to have external input  :)

Good to see you both coming back slowly but surely, DT and RunningGas.  Fingers crossed for your comeback.

Sorry to hear the news Freemers but good to know your choice is made.  

Looking pretty fit, Gul, with these MLRs.

GDawg - when do you start building volume? I think you might need speed endurance to hit your targets with confidence.

Birch - I love hearing this talk. Goals are what give us drive and focus right?

SBD - Sub-3:20 looks very achievable.

MrSoft - great sounding session.  Well done.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    MsE - first 20+ miler is next week (wk 7) of which there will be four but I only have 2 x 50 mile weeks planned. Due to various factors I struggle to get high volumes in like some on here, so my campaigns generally average 40-odd miles p/w. I change something on each campaign, like introducing LSRs on trails and extending tempo sessions to 12 miles, both of which increase endurance and speed.

Track session tonight, 6 x 1k with 200m jog recoveries.
  • Freemers - sorry to hear your news, but it's good to know where you stand. I haven't heard good things about the Brum mara. As I'm sure you know, Abingdon and Chester have good reputations. Not sure about Leicester. Knight Rider was the man with local knowledge for that one!
    MrSoft - sounds like a jolly decent session - promising.
    Birch - never say never! Must have been a very enjoyable run out at Derwent.
    RunningGas - good session to bag.
    DT19  - nice easy run.
    SBD - have a good trip to the seaside this weekend. Do you have a plan/target in mind?
    GM - great double. I started yesterday's run at 4:35am, so I think that would class as not oversleeping.
    MsE - too deep for me, I fear.
    12 miles this morning with 3 x 2M efforts, 6:36 & 6:27, 6:27 & 6:23, 6:32 & 6:32.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Sunday 18 Feb - Wokingham Half Marathon: 
    PMJ sub 90

Sunday 04 March- Bath Half Marathon -                                                                                                           DT- No firm plan yet but hoping to be at least sub 85                                                     

MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26

Sunday 18th March- Ashby 20                                                                                                                                  DT mara pace plus 10-15 seconds per mile

G-Dawg MP tester

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.09
    DT -Too early to say yet

MsE

MsE

MsE

MsE

Minni
    MsE

MsE

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.05

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

i've tried updating this race list and made a right mess of it. It's taken me ages to get to this stage so I give up!!

Ive put in my races I've entered upto London. I'll probably throw a 10k in there early April. I don't tend to think much beyond The pending season when race planning.

• Sunday 18 Feb - Wokingham Half Marathon: 
    PMJ sub 90

Sunday 04 March- Bath Half Marathon -
    DT- No firm plan yet but hoping to be at least sub 85                                                     

MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26

Sunday 18th March- Ashby 20
    DT mara pace plus 10-15 seconds per mile

G-Dawg MP tester

MsE