The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• No worries Lilly61.
    Did 13.71 miles at about 40 secs a mile faster than I will be pacing in the Big Half on 4 March so happy with that.
    YTD = 284.65 miles
    This time next week I will be able to report the major event that stopped me doing the Valentines Day Marathon. Happy to forfeit 25 miles if anyone guesses it right (before the event) 
  • Evenin' all!

Dubai - those night shifts sound awful... don't know how you do it! Very well done to the young Dubai runners, what fantastic achievements - great runners and jumpers it seems :smiley:

I hear you on the needing a rest, Hobie - hope the yoga and strength training was restorative. That coast run sounds lovely... must be so nice to spot dolphins while galloping through the mud!

Some good mileage stacking up for you, Steven. How old is your daughter - she sounds like a little one if she's waking up at the crack of (before?) dawn? :smile:

Nice long run for you David. All the very best for Worthing on Sunday... I think your consistent mileage should put you at the faster end of your prediction (if not below :wink:)

Oh - so close Andrew! Hope the work meeting doesn't go on too late tomorrow.

That pacing plan sounds really good, Harmander. It must be nice to doing a slightly faster pace each week to mix it up a bit. I'm stumped about the event Harmander... I was going to ask if it was an important wedding anniversary but then I remembered reading that your wife is away until 8th March - so I'm guessing it's not that.

Sorry to hear you're still feeling unwell, Andrea! Be careful if you still have something on your chest - they say it's OK to run if it's above the neck but rest if it's below the neck.

Sounds like a very good run by you Lilly. Hope all goes well for Brighton!

Congraulations on a very successful Portsmouth Coastal Half, PM - really well done!!! Can't believe you had to work until the small hours immediately after though... hope you've managed to celebrate at some point.

Arms are still painful for me - hard to open doors at work :lol: Had a successful running day today though. Did a nice tempo run in the falling snow at lunchtime. Ran on the track near work but the wrong way round to off-set the club track session this evening, then did a long reps session this evening. All went well with the recording of the lunch session but my Garmin managed to record and then lose tonight's session - even though it has a mileage total for Activities today... so I have a final mileage total *phew*! Lunchtime was 5.58 miles and evening was 5.63 miles.

YTD: 167.33 miles.

• Well done Matt on getting a course PB

Nell night shifts themselves are fine, I'm an air traffic controller, we're busy on nights but no matter how tired I am in the morning I never sleep more than a few hours, it is what it is! I ain't going to change after all these years!

10.13 miles this morning in a pleasant 24 degrees, to be over 30 next week.

YTD 234.8 miles

• PompeyMatt - let me join the other voices congratulating you on a course PB, always a good feeling.

Nell - I do hate a badly behaved Garmin lol. My little'un is 18 and a half months old and a treasure to boot - a noisy treasure - but still a treasure. Sorry to hear the arms are still bothering you, trouble opening doors at work is most definitely not good. That said, the miles just keep going on the board, great going!

Dubai and Harmander - Awesome consistency from you both, Superb! Can't really say any more than that.

Pre-work run for me this morning ... minus 3 out - forgot my running jacket, so I was properly cold at the end (that'll learn me). Still I was able to run, when I saw the apocalyptic weather forecasts on Sunday night, I wondered how much running I would manage to get in this week - so getting out as planned is a nice result!

07 Feb - 11.6m

YTD: 178.25 Miles
  • So much going on, racing, PBs, children winning prizes, Harmander and his riddle, cold morning in Scotland, balmy ones in Dubai and Nell and her arm problem. I'm loving this thread.

I'm plodding along YTD: 119.2
  • Hahaha... Donnie - that's the best thread summary ever! :lol:

• Thanks for the congratulation everyone, the course pb at least made my 1500-0100 shift go much better than usual!

Another run yesterday but it was a nice steady and very enjoyable 11.2 miles along the coast in the sunshine!

2018  112.1
  • 6.33 miles

YTD 241.13 miles
  • Feeling the love again after a few kind of unhappy runs, felt like a struggle, I think it might have been doing too much running at lunchtime in work where it's pancake flat. 
    My boy has sports with Air Cadets on a Tuesday evening so dropped him off and went for a 4 mile run...felt lovely & really enjoyed it, then last night was hilly club run 7.3 miles.

160 miles YTD
  • 5 miles this afternoon, to bring up my first ton of the challenge.

104 YTD
  • Well done AndrewD on getting the first 10 under your belt.
    Thanks to all for all the postings everyone and agree with Nell that Donnie2's summary is the best ever to date.
    Only did 13.72 miles today as got Olympic Challenge Marathon on Saturday.
    YTD 298.37 miles - oh so close to 300
  • Harmander - thanks. I thought you were taking it a bit easier on mileage this year?! You're on course for 3000 at this rate!!
  • Another 6.67 today but broken up into three bits. An unexpectedly fast 5k then a short rest before a gentle couple of miles to the gym and a mile on the treadmill.

YTD  118.89
  • 4.5 tonight, so up to 108.5 YTD.

Have a good weekend all, and good luck to any racers!
  • Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Two horrible runs, no fun at all, very very tired now. Still it's rest until monday morning now.

09 Feb - 4.95m
    10 Feb - 17.0m

YTD: 200.2 Miles
  • After 3 looooooong days at work finally I have made it out for a run. So 3.6 miles today.

Puts me on 62.2, hope to break the 70 mark tomorrow evening.

Just 3 weeks till first half of the year!
  • Salut maintenant!

So much running going on - it's great! :smiley:

Great consistency, Dubai... I don't know how you do it with such disordered sleep patterns. I'm a night owl and lose a lot of sleep during the week due to not going to bed early enough, but I make it up at the weekend - luckily I can just sleep and sleep if needed.

Steven - well done on getting through your runs - even if they felt awful! It's good to get the miles under your belt. I was just musing on my run today that I don't know how folks with children manage to train for a marathon... it's such a big time commitment.

Nothing plodding about your mileage, Donnie :smile: You're still, currently, an early contender for thread comment of the year (not that that's a thing... but maybe we should implement it :lol:)

Your coastal running sounds lovely, PM! Does your 6.67 mi. run count as mixed terrain? Hahaha...

Very happy to hear you've got your mojo back, Hobie... don't you go mislaying it again any time soon!

Woohoo Andrew! Congratulations on bursting through the hundred miles barrier.

Sorry, Harmander - I'm too late to wish you "Good Luck" for today's marathon. Hope it went to plan nevertheless! Were you pacing again?

Nice running from you, Lilly - hope you get past 70 tomorrow. Which HM have you got in 3 weeks?

Very happy to report that my arms are gradually recovering - just in time for my 20-miler tomorrow... let's see what happens then!

A few runs to log for me. I managed my "run to the track, run round the track, run home from the track" usual plan for Thursdays. The distances were: 4.49 mi., 4.40 mi., 4.46 mi., giving me 13.35 mi. total. Then did an interesting run round the block today... four laps of "the block" which is about 0.8 mi. per lap and includes a long(ish) steep hill in the back quarter - so I did 3/4 of the lap at goal mara pace (9:00/mi. as I'd like to do both upcoming marathons in under 4 hours) and ran hard up the hill (~8:10-8:20/mi.). Total mileage was 3.32 mi.

YTD: 184.00 miles (Ooo - in theory, should get past 200 miles tomorrow!)

• I aimed for 1000 last year and managed 1000.18 with a day to spare. 

I don't have a specific target for this year other than to smash 1000. I'm at 162miles this year already. 
  • Welcome DD92
    Congratulations Steven Morrison 2 for joining the 200 group
    Go for it Nell am sure you going to join Steven Morrison and I think three others.
    After that challenging Runner Bean marathon two weeks ago when I still had the chest infection and an awkward belly trouble, I was sort of pleased that I was comfortable and consistent during the first four laps when I was bang on target regarding my target pace, I decided to push myself for the first quarter of the last lap and it was my fastest pace for the whole run and then I paid the price in the last quarter of the last lap - ended up 3 minutes and 8 seconds off the target time in the end.  Wearing the medal gave me a neck ache - it is so huge that British Steel would still be in business if the race director had put in an order years ago.
    No race next week so maybe a leisurely LSR to get me close to 400 miles might be a good idea as am planning to do a daily run for the next eight days as it is half term and my younger son can look after his brothers' kids while I try to do some tempo work. Starting with a recovery run shortly to make sure I am home for the Man U game.
    YTD = 324.59 miles
  • 7.5 today for me (longest long run in over a year I think), so am up to 116 YTD which is bang on track.
  • 10.48 miles recovery run
    YTD  = 335.07 miles
  • Goddag alle sammen!

Steven - really sorry, I failed to congratulate you on your reaching the 200 mile mark... well done!

Welcome DD92. Some nice mileage from you :smile:

Well done on your massive bling, Harmander! Only you would do a 10 and a half mile recovery run the day after completing a marathon :lol:

Great mileage there, Andrew - you are correct that you are bang on track... nice!

So... I did it. Through driving (very painful) hail stones, bright sun, gale force wind and swirling snow, I managed the first 20-miler of the campaign. Won't deny it was quite difficult but did manage to speed up to mara pace towards the end. Rewarded myself with a Domino's pizza :smiley: Total mileage was 20.01 mi.

YTD: 204.01 miles.

• Well done Little Nell,
    Less than 800 to go.
  • Just a reminder request,

Anyone available to pace for a 3 hour and 3 hour 15 marathon pace in September?
  • Eveni g all,

Harmander your miles are insane! 13 mile recovery runs! Another level, congratulations on the shiny new medal.

Nell amazing getting to 200 and with a a 20 miler in that weather. 

Got home from work and was determined to get out and get a good run in! So a lovely evening run at 8.33 miles

Got to 70.53 YTD pushing for that 100 mile mark now
  • Morning all,

Great to read so many posts, along with the best summary from Donnie2!

Pompeymatt, 
    Well done on getting the first 100 out of the way.

Andrew, Well done to you too, and great long run.

Dubai Runner, Sounds like the kids are naturals, congratulations to them both.

Lilly61, Good luck with the Brighton HM, have you run it before, if so was it hilly or is it just around town and along the front - there are some killer hills not far away, hence I choose Worthing as I am a local, which is very flat and fast.

Steve Morrison2, Well done on getting over the 200 mile mark and hopefully the next few runs will be better.

Harmander, Well done, another one under the belt, I do agree some of the medals are now getting insane, I am finding it hard to know what to do with them.

Nell, Well done on breaking through the 200 mile mark, especially in those conditions and hope the arms are okay today.

As for me, it was my second outing at the Worthing HM, last year I was recovering from shin splints and managed to record a time of 2.09.55, however my chip didn't work correctly so it was more like 2.06 I believe, anyway yesterday's weather was lovely (a bit nippy) but nice out of the wind along the front. I had a great race and managed to maintain 5 minute k's from beginning to end and have plenty left for a sprint finish, if only every race felt as good! I finished in 1.45.31 a new PB for me and was the 543rd across the line out of the 1803 who finished.

This week I have my first marathon on Thursday, and mum is again doing the half, it is another Phoenix event along the Thames which we have done before and likely to be muddy, so not expecting much in the time department. Will keep you posted.

Stat's For last week;

06.02.18 - 10 (long slow run, around 1 hour 28 minutes)
    08.02.18 - 6.25 (3k at 5.15, 4k fast 4.55 and final 3k at 5.15)
    09.02.18 - 3.12 (5k all at around 5.15)
    11.02.18 - 13.1 Worthing HM

YTD = 156.2
  • Thanks everyone for the congrats on the 200, it made the general feeling of tiredness all weekend easier to put up with.

Nell - Through the 200 too, considering your fatigue and painful arms - superb running and a well earned Pizza!

Harmander - Cap doffed, two marathons in as many months - awesome.

lilly - you are well on your way, hunting that 100 down now.

David Charman - Congrats on the PB, great work, and sounds like you had more in the tank (and it's still only February).

Get your violins ready (yes even the very small ones) I have a tale of full of woe and overcoming great adversity and hardship. ;)

After my long run on Saturday I seemed to have developed a very painful blister on the sole of my right foot, it bothered me all day on Sunday (I told you that you'd need a violin). So I must admit I was very tempted to skip this morning's run and have a rest - and then I saw Nell's update last night ... overtaken!!! Right, lace the shoes up - out we go! ;)

Glad I did, after a mile or so the constant throb had passed and I was able to complete my planned run without too much bother, it's throbbing again now right enough lol. But, if this had been this time last year (before I joined this thread)  I'd have rested this morning and missed a good run - thank folks, I sorta feel like I've joined a running club.

12 Feb - 11.6 Miles

YTD: 211.8 Miles

The sun put in his appearance this morning, I'm running in the dawn again - lovely.
  • Lilly61,
    It was only 10.48 mile recovery run - going out again before lunch today.
    David Charman, yes, back in the day they were the size of a half crown (if you got one at all) - I was planning to put them (say about 30 at a time) up in rows and columns in modified photo frames with a mdf backboard but the latest craze of 'big is good' makes my idea impractical.
    At last count I had over 1000 in total.
  • Well done all, great going.

Well done Steven & Nell on breaking 200, great work, both getting away from me.

Of course Harmander on the 300+ miles we are in awe :-)

I did hilly 18 miles yesterday long pace, felt good all the way so maybe the plan is working, minging headwind for the first half but happy with the pace & fueling.

184 miles YTD.

• Did my usual local run- 635m to and 635m back with 8 x 2.6km laps (22.070km - 13.71 miles) this lunchtime making 
    YTD = 348.78 miles
    I was 3 minutes faster than last week but aiming to knock off another 14 minutes by the end of the month.