Options

Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Jen Baker - Good luck with your sub 3:45 attempt.
  • Options
    Hi All,

I've entered the Paris marathon, my first, and am very glad to have found this forum as I will have an awful LOT of questions!

Steve
    Blue Pen

I'm hoping to finish - what I tell everyone
    under 4 hours - what I tell myself
    3 hours 30 mins - I have no idea if this is possible, ran 20 miles last night which is the furthest I have ever run in 47 years and everyone has told me it's the last 6 miles which are the killer...
  • Options
    @Steves_midlifecrisis your doing brilliant to be up to 20miles at this stage well done, I've done a few marathons and always found each one so different. My PB marathon last year the last 6miles I felt mentally the strongest I've ever felt during or finishing a race.
  • Options
    I'm in the green pen but hopping for 3.45 or under, how long is there between each pen sets off?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Soupy600 - If you are aiming for a sub 3:45 I'd suggest starting in one the of the other pens (purple or blue). You can change your starting pen at the expo. There's a desk to do it at the same area you collect you bib.

The start is wide, but there are parts of the course where it can be narrow and crowded, so you really want to start with people aiming for a similar time to yourself to avoid getting bottled up behind a group of people on a slower pace.

As the race gets closer they will notify you of the start time for each pen. Normally it's about 10/15/20 minutes between each pen starting. The elites will almost be finished by the time the pink pen starts! The faster the pen the quicker between the gaps, as there are fewer runners in those pens, as you go further back the starting times get longer as the Purple/Green/Pink pens etc tend to be very busy so it takes a while for everyone to cross the start line.

Steves_midlifecrisis - Welcome to the thread. It sounds like your training is going well. The last six miles do hurt, but how badly they hurt tends to depend on your pacing. If you go off to fast any time you gain in the early miles you'll lose and then some in the final few miles. Keep an eye on your training times, maybe race a half to help estimate a time, and work out a target time from there.

That said for a first marathon I'd say it's all about completing it. It's a real learning experience, so it's hard to judge pace and fuelling correctly.
  • Options
    @Eggyh73 thanks for the great advice
  • Options
    Thanks Eggyh73

I've entered the Lee Vally Velo Park Half on Feb. 24th so I'll see how that goes!

My aim is to finish the marathon, anything else will be a bonus
  • Options
    That's a good goal for a first marathon. Go out and enjoy it, take in all the sights and sounds. You'd be surprised how many people completely miss the Eiffel Tower despite it being in your eyeline for about five miles of the race!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    If I ran Paris again I would start at least one pen up from my target time. My reason is because of the toilets. 

There are toilets in the pens but nowhere near enough so you can que for ages. Once the pen goes off the toilets are completely free so you can use at your leisure before the next pen comes down. By the time you are done, the next pen comes down and you start with them. And that should be the pen you want to go off with. 
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Following on from Kenno's thought, if you're at the front of the pen you can slip under, use the toilets, and come back to your pen! 

Learnt the hard way last year that, running a long, slow marathon, my body needs real food, not just gels. Experimenting with bananas at the moment, as they seem to have them at the water stations in Paris... hoping Rome will be the same. Has anyone tried Tribe energy bars, or similar? Seem expensive, but are they worth it?
  • Options
    AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm entered for Paris as well, training going well and looking forward to my first big city marathon!

Can anyone give any insight as to what kind of nutrition they have on the course and where? The FAQ on the website just says:

"Refreshments will be organised every 5km. You can grab some water, dried fruit, fresh fruit and sugar."

Do they have the same stuff at every 5 km station? Will all of these have food or will some just be water stations? Does sugar mean energy gels or something else? And if so, does anyone know which brands of stuff they have?

Just trying to plan thoroughly ahead so if anyone has done it previously and remembers what they had I'd be very grateful for some insight. Many thanks!
  • Options
    AW3 - Welcome to the thread!

Paris is a bit of an odd one for food at the stations. They don’t have any gels. It’s mostly fruit, beware the orange peel underfoot. The sugar will be exactly that. Sugar!

The water stations also only offer water to drink, apart from one station around mile 19 that has sports drinks.

I always carry my own supply of gels and sports drink at marathons. If you are used to certain brands of gels when training I’d advise sticking to those and bring/carry your own. 
  • Options
    AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    :o Haha, what?! So they just have a big bag of sugar there and you try to grab a handful as you run past?! Or do you have to bring your own spoon along? :D

I was considering taking my own gels and just using the course stations for water and a banana or two, do they have those?!

I just noticed the Saturday morning "Breakfast Run" advertised on the official site, is anyone else signed up for that? Apparently you have to register (from 15th Feb) but I'll be heading to Paris on my own so I think I'll do it just for a bit of company!
  • Options
    AW3 - I think it's sugar cubes. No spoon required.

The breakfast run is a nice easy paced run to loosen the legs up for the big day. I've always ran that before the marathon. It's a good way to spend the Saturday morning.
  • Options
    AW3 - I will be doing the breakfast run.  Be good if there's a few of us to all meet up :)
  • Options
    I'm up for the breakfast run too
  • Options
    So how is everyone's training going? Got up to 15 miles this weekend, which entailed running through a snowstorm in Eaglesham, South Glasgow and a slow ascent for several miles. Seemed to go well though, despite some aches today. I'm feeling like 4 hours may be possible for me, but also worried about going for pace early on and then crashing in the second half.

How are people getting on?
  • Options
    Well done @thisisben , after a the last 2 weeks having bad runs- stopping early for one then plans changed to 2 9mile b2b instead I felt like I got back on track with a 17mile run last night in the frezzing cold and snow.
  • Options
    Things are going pretty well for me, I set a 40 second 10k PB on Saturday at the end of a big training week, so I can't complain.

http://www.richardrae.de/2018/02/10/gros-gerau-fruhjahrslauf-2018-sub36-pb/

It sounds like the weather in the UK has been pretty crappy recently, we've been quite fortunate here that it's been cold, but not too icy or snowy.
  • Options

Hi all, training going ok although I am supposed to be running right now and I'm too busy at work.  Did 17 miles on Friday which was ok, having a bit of a drop back week this week so will do 10 at the weekend and then up to 18-19 next weekend.

On the medical cert stuff, I asked my cousin who is a doctor if he could sign ours. He said yes but he doesn't have a stamp (he's a surgeon, not a GP).  I emailed the paris marathon people and they said if he doesn't have a stamp he just needs to put his first and last name, telephone number and professional doctors number on it.

Just thought might be worth knowing anyway. If you google the general medical register you can find doctors names and reg. numbers in case anyone is going to be naughty and fake it!

• Options
    Hey everyone, my training seems to be going pretty well. Although, I now seem to be able to run well but struggling with daily walking, especially in the mornings ha.  I've done a 21 muddy trail, 3 x 15 and an 18 road.  Got MK half marathon this weekend and hoping to race at sub 1:45 and then do another 4 miles at marathon pace.  I want to do a 20 at marathon pace too but what's everyone's thoughts on this?
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't attempt to run a LSR at marathon pace. Too much fatigue in the legs will hurt the quality of your training the rest of the week.

I've run my best marathons times off slow LSR training runs and fast short/mid-length runs. The times when I've been fast on my long runs in training I've always performed poorly come race day. A few miles at marathon pace towards the end of a long run is fine. Too many marathon pace long training runs can burn you out come race day.
  • Options
    I largely agree. 20 miles at goal marathon pace would be far too much for me, I'd rather do a 15 mile steady, last 5 at goal marathon pace run, or run up to 10 miles at marathon pace mixed into a 20-22 miler. You don't want to leave your best run in training.

I also think that 13.1 at half marathon pace doesn't need extra running at marathon pace, just a warm up and dead easy warm down if you want to get up to 17miles.

I'm planning to run a half marathon at just slower than goal marathon pace next weekend, then tack on 8 miles to make it a long and hard run, that seems tough enough to me!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, it really is appreciated.
  • Options
    Training going ok here.  I’ve a half this Sunday so hopefully I’ll get a reasonable marker of where I am currently.

I follow a P&D plan and that has a maximum 14 mile at Marathon pace in an 18 mile long run 5 weeks from race day.  I find if I can nail that in training, I can usually manage 26 at the same pace or thereabouts 5 weeks later.

Just downloaded the Marathon app for fun.  52 jours apparentlement !
  • Options
    How much slower to expected marathon pace do you all do your long runs? Also, anyone that has done Paris before, is it crazy jammed at the start and therefore difficult to get into own pace? I did Gloucester last year which is a small field so able to settle and have lots of space immediately. This is my first big city marathon. Also, because of congestion, do you find you run much more than 26.2 from weaving/not following direct line?
  • Options
    I wouldnt do a full 20 at MRP either (you and your legs will be knackered!), but some MRP miles within a long run should give you the confidence that you'll be bale to do it on race day. I'm doing my long runs around 30s per mile slower than target, some will say you should be closer to 60s.

Doing a half this weekend as a benchmark test - fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    KellyR - I tend to run my long slow runs at a minute a mile slower than marathon pace. Although if I'm honest that just because it's my plodding along not looking at my watch pace. I never check my pace during long training runs. I just go at a pace that feels comfortable. Most training plans I've read suggest between 60/90 seconds a mile slower than target pace. As Macca has stated some of them (such as P&D) suggest doing some of the run at marathon pace.

The start at Paris is very wide. You won't have issues finding space in the first few miles, but there are several points on the course where the road narrows and you can get bottled in for a bit.

The best tip for avoiding getting bottled in at Paris is to stay away from any pacer runners. The pacers always have large groups running with them, which can take up most of the width of the road as they all just follow the pacer with the balloon and can be oblivious to everything else around them.
  • Options
    Sounds like everyone's training is going well so far, I'm planning 18/19 miles this Friday then about the same the week after with a buffer week after that so doing a 10mile road race.

Also just signed up for the breakfast run who else is in and is there anything else worth signing up for??

I'm making a bit of a trip for the marathon spending 5 days in Paris anyone recommend any must do's/ things to see, apart form the main ones