Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT - There you go. If you press shift & enter before you add another line that should do it.

MsE - I like those quotes, MA sure had some great ones.

Gul - Defo not oversleeping. What time do you start to feel tired in the evenings? I struggle to get out at 6am for an early run. I'm blaming the cold and lack of light though. Great run today.

• Sunday 18 Feb - Wokingham Half Marathon: 
    PMJ sub 90

Sat 24 Feb - Parly Hill XC
    GM try to stay on my feet

Sunday 25 Feb Brighton Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 - Sub 90

Sunday 04 March- Bath Half Marathon -
    DT- No firm plan yet but hoping to be at least sub 85                                                      

Sunday 11 March - Surrey Half Marathon: 
    MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26

Sunday 18th March- Ashby 20
    DT mara pace plus 10-15 seconds per mile

Sunday March 25th - Cranleigh 21
    G-Dawg MP tester

Sunday 6 April - Richmond Half Marathon: 
    MsE

Sunday 8 April  - Jersey Spring 10k
    GM - 38:30

Sunday 22 April - London Marathon
    G-Dawg sub 3.09
    DT -Too early to say yet
    Nicko1981 (tentative) - sub 3.10

Sunday 20 May - Sutton 10K:
    MsE

Saturday 9 June - 65K Surrey Hills Ultra: 
    MsE

Sunday 17 June - Richmond 10K: 
    MsE

Saturday 14 July - Elmore 7 miles: 
    MsE

Sat 21- Sun 22 July - Thunder Run: 
    Minni
    MsE

Sunday 12 August - Wimbledon 5K: 
    MsE

Sunday 7 October - Chester Marathon: 
    MsE

Sunday 7 October - Chicago Marathon: 
    G-Dawg sub 3.05

• edited February 2018

Sunday 18 Feb - Wokingham Half Marathon: 
    PMJ sub 90

Lorenzo - try not to fall over GM

MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26
    Lorenzo sub 1:28

G-Dawg MP tester

Friday March 30th - Maidenhead 10 miles
    Lorenzo - 66:xx

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.09
    DT -Too early to say yet
    Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)

MsE

MsE

MsE

Saturday 23 June - Race to the King Ultra
    Lorenzo - no idea

Sunday 1 July - The Picnic
    Lorenzo - sub 4:45

MsE

Minni
    MsE

MsE

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.05

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think Nicko has now had his updates wiped off the list Lorenzo posted?

Thanks for fixing, Gerard!

I am thinking (conditions being fair) that i'll have a full tilt crack at a parkrun a week Saturday just to get a decent idea of where I am prior to Bath.

• Hi All, mind if I join in here? I am nominally targeting 3:15 for VLM this year.

Schedule is as such for the minute:

Brighton Half 25th Feb (sub 1.30)
    VLM 22nd April (sub 3.15)
    Richmond Marathon 16th September (who knows? Will work out in the summer)

Has anyone here run the Milton Keynes Half? Potentially looking at it for 11th March but doesn't look like the fastest course
  • Welcome Southwarkrunner! There are loads of great snippets of information here.

My schedule is:

Valencia Half, 24th March
    Newport Marathon, 29th April - my 'A' race for the year...really want that VLM 'good for age'!
    Tempted by a first ultra...'Race to the Stones 100K', 14th July
    Probably Bournemouth Maratahon, 7th Oct

An easy 7 miles for me today...looking at around 58 miles for the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hey southwarkrunner! I take it you hail from the great borough on the correct side of the river?
    I grew up in Peckham and still have family there. Left in my 20's it's changed a bit since then. The streets were a little dangerous to run in unless you were escaping crime!!  :D

• That's getting quite a long list.
    12 miles this morning. 3 @ 8:14 and 9 @ 7:36. Off down to Kent later for my niece's birthday party, so no run tomorrow. Hope to get out on Sunday to add to 53 so far for the week.
    Hope you have a great race on Sunday SBD and anyone else not on the list!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Freemers sounds like a sensible decision to sack London,you will be back strong again.
    Birch 4:09 mara walk in the park to you sir !
    Gul you are looking fast these days .

Lots of target races great to see but I won't be adding to it anytime soon .

Went out with the club last night , 3/4 mile reps up and down a hill at same speed ,5 reps but after 4 my hammy tightened up and warned we were heading for trouble if I tried rep 5 so sacked it and walked the mile back to base .

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good session management, Leslie.
    Another solid week, Gul. Nice change up speed on  longer run. Enjoy the Garden of England.

Track session last night. 1.5 mile warm up followed by 6 x 1k with 200m recoveries and a half mile warm down.

Chest still an issue (I'm even getting bored writing it now). The coach wanted me to do progressions but I knew from my warm up that I wouldn't be able to do it, so we settled on sub-3.45 splits which I did, quickest was 3.40.

Hoping for milder weather soon as I'm sure my lungs don't like the cold air and it's prolonging this lurgy.

15 easy ones on the road tomorrow, a break from the mud as it will be frozen and waiting to snap my ankle like it almost did last year. #Learning
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Welcome southwark runner.

Sensible move LH.

Decent mileage, Running Gas. My highest ever week is 57. Must try and break 60 one day!

Good continued training G-Dawg and Gul.

I kept off the running yesterday and did a very effective threshold session on the spin bike.

Tonight is 4 x 800 vo2 session. My thought is (given I am planning 15 in the morning and don't want to push my luck) that I perhaps push this out to 6 x 800 but run them at 5k which shouldn't trouble me too much as 3 minutes on, 1.5 off.

My vague plan now is to pick 4 weeks from the first 8 weeks of my schedule that allows for progression and then pick up my schedule as it is for the last 8 weeks. So assuming today and tomorrow go to plan that's week 2 of my schedule ticked off.

• > @G-Dawg said:
    > Hey southwarkrunner! I take it you hail from the great borough on the correct side of the river?
    > I grew up in Peckham and still have family there. Left in my 20's it's changed a bit since then. The streets were a little dangerous to run in unless you were escaping crime!!  :D

Yes- I moved here a few years ago. I am putting my increased speed during that time down to not wanting to linger too much in the less salubrious areas of this borough!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    R.Gas, G-Dawg  -  great sessions there - nice amount of reps for the 1K distance  . .    

Gerard - fine double - hope you bag the "monster* total you seek  . . 

Gul - 17 on Sunday, then ?  ;)   

SBD - good t'mill therapy for the legs (but I find 10K on the 'mill not so easy mentally)

Leslie - I feel your frustration - having had similar problems with hamstring in recent past, I really do empathise  . . .  

MsE - yes, stoicism & distance running go hand in hand . . .    

easy couple of days here since Wed's 16 - rest y'day & 5.5 today - plan is for 10 or 11 tomorrow.

• -- Race list Merged from Lorenzo's Post --

PMJ sub 90

Lorenzo - try not to fall over GM

Sunday 25 Feb - Brighton Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 - Sub 90

MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26
    Lorenzo sub 1:28

G-Dawg MP tester

Lorenzo - 66:xx

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.09
    DT -Too early to say yet
    Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)

MsE

MsE

MsE

Lorenzo - no idea

MsE

Minni
    MsE

MsE

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.05

• 10 miles of Zone 2 today, avg HR 135, avg pace 8:26. That's a little slow but I put that down to 2 weeks off with flu....it'll come back.

Rest day tomorrow and then 16-18 miles on Sunday with a good portion at the end at MP.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

All good miles RunningGas

I'm doing most of my three 10k recovery runs per week on the treadmill Birch.  Boring as hell but less forces on the legs and hopefully more effective recovery.  Will probably switch to outdoors as we getter closer to the marathon.

Sounds like a good plan DT19.

Need to sort that chest out G-D!

A good early morning session Gul.  In theory Sunday is 16 with 12 at MP and no taper.  Haven't quite worked out the plan (MP could be interpreted as anything between 1:30and 1:40!) and the windy conditions may be a factor so I may just have to make it up on the day! 

10 miles today (on the treadmill as I was feeling niggle cautious!) followed by a much needed sports massage.  Hopefully the legs will feel refreshed for Sundays's HM.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Sunday 11 Feb - Worthing HM
    SBD MP Run (1:35)

PMJ sub 90

Lorenzo - try not to fall over GM

Sunday 25 Feb - Brighton Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 - Sub 90

MsE
    G-Dawg sub 1.26
    Lorenzo sub 1:28
    SBD MP Run

G-Dawg MP tester

Lorenzo - 66:xx

MsE

Sunday 15 April - Brighton Marathon
    SBD - Sub 3:20

G-Dawg sub 3.09
    DT -Too early to say yet
    Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)

MsE

MsE

MsE

Lorenzo - no idea

MsE

Minni
    MsE

MsE

MsE

G-Dawg sub 3.05

• Don’t fit any of your events on the list:

April 15th - Canberra Marathon
    July 1st - Gold Coast Marathon
    October 7th - Melbourne Marathon
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dad Again, we are all just adding in our own races of they are not already there. 

Running gas, nothing wrong with keeping it nice and slow. Everything I've read says that in terms of aerobic development there is little  to be gained between running at the slower end or faster end of easy paces. 

Good luck with the MP half, SBD.

I did the 4 x 800m session tonight on treadmill (which is where I always do them). Not run at that effort level since late November. Reps came in 2.47 (too fast) 2.55, 2.54, 2.53. So that about 10 seconds a mile faster than 5k pb pace. It's also about 10 seconds a rep slower than when I last did such a session and 8 seconds a rep slower than same session last year. At that effort level I think a lot comes down to mentally adapting to the discomfort. 
  • Getting to be a long list. When Badbark adds his 74 maras and 29 ultras (to be done in the next fortnight) the servers will crash. Will add mine in anon as plans are out of the window today due to a tempting offer of work abroad which will completely b****r my spring targets.

MsE that's the first time Marcus Aurelius has been quoted here: he was a great man and would have been a good ultrarunner.

SBD the treadie is tedious but I've found that short sharp sessions e.g. 2m pyramid in which you briefly reach flat-out/eyeballs-out speed is a really good sharpener.

Birch - been over the Snake a few times recently past Ladybower etc and have always meant to run there - what's a good route?

DA - what's the Melbourne mara like?  I really liked the city.

Some limited steady miles here, main session this week was 65m bike on Weds, a nice long workout.
  • Poacher said:

Some limited steady miles here, main session this week was 65m bike on Weds, a nice long workout.
    I reckon those bike miles really help. I'd like to go back to the bike (I used to race bikes before I ran) but it just seems so dangerous nowadays. Will have to look at off-road but then if I run I have a muddy pair of trainers to dry out and a shower and I'm done but with a bike you need to spend an hour or so cleaning it off and oiling it back up.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I used to bike commute a couple of days acweek in summer, about 15 miles each way. It was a really nice journey. Then I changed jobs so work in a city. Tried it twice and hated the experience.

15 miles this morning. Longest of year. Largely comfortable at 8.03mm but could feel lack of endurance from about 11. Gives me 35 for week.

I may do some recovery miles tomorrow, will see how I feel. I'm off to the rugby club in a few hours for a pre match lunch and a lot of beer. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I got back from a skiing holiday on Monday night but could only face the forum now. I haven’t been the happiest bunny in the woods due to being benched. I was having a fantastic holiday and happily skiing down the slopes when a snowboarder crash into me from behind. I hit the ground hard without the chance of bracing and my chest took the worst of the impact.

The snowboarder was very apologetic but spoke little English. I didn’t feel too bad at the time, just a little shocked. I was sore but it was only the next day that the pain really intensified. It continued getting worse over a few days and now 9 days later is still the same. I’ve been to the hospital and Doctors and they suspect a crack rib, although a muscle tear is possible too. Either way, there is no treatment apart from managing the pain.

I tried running on Tuesday but could only manage 5 miles of a planned 13 due to the pain. With a Half Marathon due tommorrow and back to back Marathons next weekend, I’ve been miserable all week.

However, my visit to the Doctors has changed things. He has given me strong painkillers and told me that running won’t do any damage, as long as I can handle the pain. I run ultra marathons, so of course I can handle pain! :) He did recommend that I wait another week but I decided to try and run again yesterday. I managed 8 miles and a further 6 this morning, including a Parkrun at MP. Phew! I’m so glad the pain is manageable as I have my first ‘A’ race of the year in only 7 weeks, which is a 107 mile ultra from Belfast to Dublin.

Now I’m going to read back. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wow BB, what drama, shocking! Glad you're OK. I've had rib injuries and it's one of the worst running pains to run with. Hope the pain killers get you through the upcoming race plans.

A drop down to 15 miles for the longer run this week and as the mud was frozen, ran on the road. Just tapped it out easy with my mate and came in at 7.50 pace. Felt OK apart from the usual campaign training fatigue. Tomorrow's 5k recovery will take me to 43 for the week. 

Enjoy the weekend, Gang.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good grief, BB.  Thank goodness you came away from that incident with cracked ribs and nothing else.  Glad you can get back to running as I know how much it means to you.  Your 107 miler sounds incomprehensible to me though!

GD - good week for you with plenty of caution.  Good to see.  How about including some fast miles on tired legs?  Either MP miles at the end of your LR or faster finish LRs where you ramp up the pace for the final 30-40 minutes?  Both really good for keeping pace despite fatigued legs.

Gul - excellent efforts on your 12 miler with 2 mi reps. AND the progressive one yesterday.

Lorenzo - shall we try running together at Surrey? It's been a while since our last race!  I am planning on running by feel but 1:28 may just about work.  Then again, perhaps I should test that statement out before I commit to meeting you!

Welcome southwarkrunner! Not done the MK Half.  What's your target?

Nice weekly volume there RunningGas.  What's MP for you?

Leslie - great to see you back at it.  No need to rush back.  Any relief from the tight hammy once you backed off?

Birch - good to see you back on the miles. 

SBD - good luck tomorrow.  Are you definitely just aiming for a controlled MP run? Lots of my club running there so watch out for a sea of green.

DadAgain - I plan to run the GC Marathon one day. I've a friend who keeps trying to lure me down for it and I am biding my time.

DT - excellent efforts on the 800s.  Were you blowing hard or comfortably uncomfortable?  

Poacher - 65 mi bike ride sounds good but I bet the conditions were challenging?

PMJ - had no idea of your biking past.  Road or offroad too?  The faff is what puts me off too.  Perhaps when I am less busy it will appeal more.  Julian Goater insists it is the way forwards to ensure a long running life. And who I am to argue with him?!

An easy recovery week for me after building for the past three weeks since my Christmas injury.  Should be on around 40 once I get my LR in tomorrow.  

An afternoon watching England v Wales in front of a fire today.  MrE and MsEsq are on their way to Twickenham with a pair of tickets I bought for a Father's Day pressie.  Been watching the Winter Olympics.  My one observation is winter athletes need enormous thighs.  Many of their sports seem to need phenomenal quads and glutes.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    SBD - you love that treadmill :o   good luck tomorrow  . . . .    

GDawg - nice pea-shelling  . . .   

Poacher - if you park on the long bridge (A57), the big loop around Derwent via Fairholmes is 15.5 - start on the track to the right, or road to the left.  I prefer the road start - if you finish that side, its a long uphill drag from the visitor centre at Fairhholmes.  If you fancy 21, then park at visitor centre, and do 2 laps of Derwent, starting at roundabout near the wall 

Badbark - that's a shocker - but if anyone can make the 107 miler and succeed in it, then that's you !!  

11 miles with my daughter today - 44 for the week . . .   
  • MsE said:

PMJ - had no idea of your biking past.  Road or offroad too?  

Road bikes, 10 mile and 25 mile time trials. Very different in those dates as bikes were heavy so all my old marks look very poor compared to today but I was somewhere round the 27 minute mark for 10 miles. 
  • MsE - MP is 7:20.....just need to work on the aerobic side to prevent/delay the bonk.
  • Sorry for messing up the race list folks. :(

MsE
    - definitely up for running around together at 1:28 pace (6:43) at the Surrey Half although my track record of trying to stay with you for a whole race isn't great. Hopefully G-Dawg won't be too far in the distance!

Good pace on your 15 miler there G-Dawg, especially given the frozen conditions underfoot.

Great that you can head out for 65 miles midweek Poacher - where did you get to? Sounds like you've become a real convert to the two-wheeled stuff.

Badbark - sounds very unpleasant. Hope it didn't spoil the holiday and that things go well over the next 7 weeks.

Good luck tomorrow SBD.

Another pleasantly mixed week of running for me this week culminating in a hilly, muddy run up to Leith Hill - just under 20 miles this morning to bring me up to 54 for the week.

Rest day tomorrow as I've been told I've got to prioritise packing to go on holiday - flying out to Israel for a night in Tel Aviv (aiming to run on the beach on Monday morning) before heading over to Jerusalem for 6 nights. Very much looking forward to a fantastic experience that doesn't just include all the sights, sounds and tastes of Jerusalem but driving over to the Dead Sea and also a day in the West Bank to go to Bethlehem and Hebron. Other than my passport, running kit, the Garmin and a couple of books, is there anything else I need to be thinking about packing?! ;)
  • Whatever one’s view on Israel, Jerusalem is one of the most interesting cities on earth.  It’s worth busting all your guts to visit Masada - a stunning site.

BTW Jerusalem can be v v cold at night in winter - be prepared!  Have a great trip.

Birch - thanks -although I was hoping you would come up with a 2 or 3 mile route more suited to my current abilities