Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Simon, congrats on having the nerve to tackle the cold water method of recovery. Mind you, on days like we've been having lately, just standing outside for a few minutes might do the trick.

Funny you should mention your coach. I was talking to him about an hour ago at Bob Parkers funeral. There were plenty of running names present at that one as one might guess.

iower, did the boss demonstrate the correct rowing technique? if not, the secret is to use the arms at little as possible in the 'pull' phase, by keeping them at full stretch, using the power of the legs instead. Takes a bit of practice to leave the hands behind until the legs have fully extended when the instinct is to use the arms and legs all at once. 

🙂

• ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Yep - legs mostly, then torso and arms to a much lesser extent and more at the end of the effort. Felt pretty natural coming from cycling with decent leg power and weedy arms!
  • Iower - I think the only thing we get is the chance to run...don't even think we get the vest free! Certainly not the entry fee, which would have been nice. Have to do a race over on the island at some point, not been there in years. For a race series, you'd have to get a ferry discount to get some mainlanders to come over :)

Ric - ah yes, no surprise he was there - read a bit about BP, top running bloke. I'm sure he must have had a pint for him...any excuse!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Iower, good session. Always a relief when the distances go down, and always fun to rampage the last short one!

I remember chuckling reading the rant of a football fan who was going to a game in Portsmouth. He booked a cheap hotel close by, not realising it was on the Isle of Wight!

Can't believe you're skimping on the distance Simon ;) Tidy as always though.

Funny how much difference an extra min makes on recoveries isn't it.

When training with the Datchet gang, we have an in joke about me having to "win" the first rep, even against the fastest guy at the club.

Normally you can at least make a decent effort of the second one, but for the longer reps off 1min, no chance! This is the problem with group training in a way. You tend to compete, meaning the reps can be a bit unbalanced.

Planning my last long run tomorrow. Have done a 15 the last 4 Thursdays, so same again will do, unless I wake up to any mad conditions.

Took the thread advice not to bother with either a "very" long extended version, or the colossal 14miler ending with 6 hard miles.

15 should be ok 10 days out.

• Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    SC & Dachs, good work at Chichester! Your times aren't to be sniffed at, it's a good opener for the season and some calmer weather later in the year will see you two hit your targets.

Bus, hope the young'un is okay! Looks like he'll end up with a nice scar to show off!

SC, great reps there, and at a pace that I can one day only hope to hit! Unsurprising that you had a bit of a shuffle to work!

SG, there's nothing like a session turning out to be different & harder than expected! Well done for getting it done, and monstering the first and last reps ;)

Scott, good to see you drop in! It'll all come back. Are you having any progress with the niggle?

Ric, good to hear that you've still got the easy runs in. Not sure I'd brave the ice bath!

Easy run yesterday, 7.5mi at 7:30/mi for 74.3%HR - best pace for HR so far!
    Wasn't sure whether to do a session today, or opt for the return of a medium long. Decided to go for a hilly medium long, and work the hills - finished with 10mi spot on at 7:40/mi for 74.8%HR, with nearly 1000ft of climbing, including looping a mile-long hill! 

It's good to see that things are moving in the right direction!
    Moving house over the weekend, so going to do my long run on Friday - meaning a rest day tomorrow. Thinking perhaps a tempo session on Saturday.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That's something a teenager does SG, :-D sounds a tough session though. Likewise SC.
    Iower, if the dog even jumps up playing then I lose my shit. The things ahold be under control. Solid track session too. In the very early days of me running I used to have a routine at the gym that was 10-15 mins on the bike, jumps straight on the treadmill and run a sub 40 10k then row 2k in sub 7. Legs were always goosed at the finish. A running pal was second at the indoor British champs in 2014 in the lightweight cat I think. 

Talking of running clothing, I only run in shorts for a session or my long run. Every other run is in running tights, tee shirt, jacket, gloves and a wooly hat. I can't remember the last time I did an easy run in shorts. 
    More snow yesterday so I had to do my session on the treadmill. 3 x 2 mile plus 1 x 1 mile. Hard work but went ok. Morning run was -6 this morning then working in it all day. Winter is shit. 
  • Tights Matt? What sort of a northerner are you then?  Must admit though, the older I get, the more I feel the cold and the longer it takes to warm up. Used to be able to cope with this weather SG stylee, with gloves the only concession to freezing weather, but even at lunch today it was a long sleeve thermal, t-shirt and gloves. No bloody tights though :-) -6 is borderline for them to be OK though I s'pose.....

15 is MORE than enough at this stage SG! Personally I'd be inclined for less distance at an harder pace, but either way it'll make little difference to next week - all in your legs and PMA now :smile:

Nice lumpy session Matthew, and thanks by the way.

Slightly hairy conditions on two wheels until the main roads this morning with re-frozen melted snow patches all over the place. I went for a nice easy, calming run by the canal at lunch, only to find the towpath was closed!  So, ended up with a dull 6 miler round Aylesbury with 6 x 110 double paces (about 0.2M) at around 5:35 pace and 4 x 50 dbl paces at around 5:20 thrown in just to get some leg speed going. 

• Lumpy old run Matt - 'par' for the course I suppose (no apologies for the low quality local joke I put in there, hell, it's nearly Friday, who cares :) Well done for sticking out the dull Aylesbury run Bus!!ML84...I always call running tights 'leggings' just to ward off any funny looks etc. Had them on the last few days, over the top of compression shorts last night, could hardly move my legs!

...that was because being the first weds of the month, it was the LBAC 'stag trophy' - 4k 3 lap handicap race last night. Wasn't going to go too hard..but you know what it's like. I was chasing one of the younger kids down as he went off 20 secs ahead. Didn't catch him in the end, but surprised myself with a 13.04, second fastest of the 'stag season'. Not too bad after racing Sunday, 14 Monday and the session Tuesday. Better ease off now for the Surrey league on Saturday.....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6th and last 15miler done today. Without doubt the coldest long run this year! Felt a bit trudgey in the last few miles, and a little delirious on finishing for a few mins.

However, exactly 6.50 average, as per the last 2 weeks to the second. That's strange to be on the second!
    "Should", that's "should" be able to take a min per mile off that for 2miles less on race day, but we will see!

From half marathon memory, you swing from distinct spells of thinking it's super easy, to a struggle, to comfortable without warning!

Simon, that's the sort of outrageous week i try and tell a young lad at my club not to try and copy people with :)
    The 3-4 hard sessions over 5 days sort of thing.
    They don't realise the likes of you who handle it do high mileage, have a lot more quality, and have been doing it for years!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Matt - echo that last line sentiment! Although give it a month or two and we'll be moaning about wind, then another month and it'll be the heat and humidity :)

Bus, good little burns.
  • Nice reps SC, must be fun doing sessions with a really really quick runner.

Didn't realise you did Tris Iower, which 70.3 is it? I am booked in for Holkham in July.

I recognise those %s coming down MH, looks good and thanks for a picture of some hills but it looks a bit dull there.

Looking good for Wokey SG, do you still track the HR or was it just a new watch fad?

I pulled some sort of muscle or something around my hip bone/glute area the other day. It's a new one on me and I tihnk my only chance of running Wokingham is if I give it several days rest. I will still give it a blast on race day but more of just a laugh to see where my fitness is after all this injury and illness shite!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Nice hilly run there Matt H, that's the kind of thing that puts you in a good place.  Wish we had the hills round here to be able to work them into standard runs.

IoWer, sounds bloody fast for rowing to me.

Simon, love the idea of 'easing down' for a weekend cross country after racing twice in the week before!  Nice 4k though after a tough 10k at the weekend.

SG, decent long run.  How did your deliriousness manifest itself.  Did you strip naked and start humping a lamp-post?

Bad luck on the pull Reg, fingers crossed it departs as soon as it arrived. 

Need to start taking marathon training seriously now, so did 40 miles in 2 days.  5 + a 15 long run on Tuesday then 5 + a 15 including one of the BAC marathon sessions on the track last night - 18 minutes, 4 x 4 minutes, 18 minutes.  Around 5:36 pace for the 18 minute sections, and then 5:21 pace for the 4 minutes.  I was a bit wrecked when I got home, so went to bed early once I'd put the bins out.  Couple of easy days now before the Hampshire League on Saturday.  As long as we actually field a team we have the vets team title wrapped up, and I cannot mathematically win the individual vets title, so not much to run for, which is why I'm not worried about how tough a week I've had.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bad news Reg, I'm not sure i've seen more disclaimers for one race, so you're covered ;) On a more serious note, hope you have a decent turnout. Tough game running a half when not feeling it!

Can't really trust the watch 100% on HR i think. It was when i almost discombobulated on a humid offroader in July for a 205 and then saw 210 on an easy run once i doubted it!

Today |(for what it's worth) averaged 154, with a max of 188.
    But what's my peak HR, how much did the super cold affect it, and was the 188 an untrustworthy spike, or a gradual climb...
    Looks like the 180+ highs came in miles 13 and 14, while 12 and 15 were mid 160s. So who knows.
    I certainly won't be looking mid race at Wokey!
  • Reg - Yes, it's good to see the 'elites' in action, although he's just too fast to train 'with' really, although he sometimes does an extra one at my pace if I'm late or had a poo stop. Like Tuesday, i'll get a slightly shorter rep to give me a bit more recovery. Hope the niggle sorts itself out for the 'forum half' at Wokey ;)

Dachs, SG - You know me, sensible is my middle name...

• Blimey Dachs - that's an impressive two day spurt!

Simon - fast stuff indeed! Shame you didn't catch the blighter!

Reg - I think you must be second only to Scott on the luck front sometimes! You'll still claw one of those h to h back at Wokey though :smile: Sounds like possibly the same sort of ITB thing I had last year - if so, some foam rolling of the ITB and some stretches lead to a pretty quick recovery. Either way - good luck!

SG - that's cards on the table time then - 1:16:36 it is :smile:

Supposed to be a double day today. Started OK with a hilly and very frozen off-road 7.2 early doors, but life got in the way and meant a serious case of CBA by the time I got home. Good job it's a sort of taper week anyway!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

That looks quick on paper, can I stick with the original Wokey prediction :)

Was a long day today. The problem with a long one on a working day is despite fuelling you do feel a bit wiped out, and in an office the intolerance needs managing! Not sure how some of you high powered suits handle it, or even Matt doing outdoor physical work!

Like you Bus, easy 10 days ahead. Will do a couple of easy paced 10s Sunday and Wed (as singles), and Tue will have the 3x1mile HMP off 90secs, the classic same intensity, but low mileage (following the 3x2miles off 90 the other week).

I could inch those back a day a piece, but as the last 5 Thursdays I've done a 15, it should be enough of a cutback down to 10, and brought to the Wed I think.

Rest will be 4s, with Sat off this week, and F OFF next week, and easy with strides on the Sat

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Quality is that Dachs. I loved doing the BAC sessions and if I wasn't being coached I'd do them again. I remember being wrecked after doing some of them but at the time I used to think they looked pretty manageable on paper. Couldn't have been more wrong. 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Did a short session on the track which was 8 x 400 off 200 'recovery'. Had to do the 200 recovery in 45 seconds so just a change of pace really and the target was 72-74s for the 400s. The wind and rain was absolutely ridiculous and after an opening 400 of 77, me and my mate knew we were in for a death march. Managed 2 at 75 and the rest 76/77. Legs were heavy and my mate managed 6 before bailing out. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sorry Dachs, missed that, even though it was a post or 2 above, whoops! 5.36 pace for 18mins is one shift! ps delirious like Eddie Murphy.

Matt - must be tough if you're "only" managing 75-77s when you'd probably smash sub70s for a straight version in still weather!

• BAC marathon session - is this linked to Steve Way and Bmth AC? Wasn't sure..
  • Bus - Apparently foam rolling the ITB is a bad idea but I will take your advice and do some around the quad/glutes and hamstrings. I was struggling playing tag with my 4 year old this morning on the way to school though. She thinks it's a game for her but it's actually a great way of getting her to run to school rather than laying on the pavement like a zombie and crawling a snails pace.

Those 400s sound like even I could manage them so it must have been pretty grim, maybe northern times should be time adjusted.

• ioweriower ✭✭✭
    SC - ah, well, a vest in the sense that you get to wear one, even if you have to pay for that too! Please do - would be great to get more runners over at the sharp end. Noted about the ferry - definitely something we could incorporate.

SG - yep I remember explaining it to the group the first time and seeing the look of relief on their faces as they realised it would get 'easier' towards the end! I remember that, did make me laugh, and if I remember he kept posting about the rubbish ferry and missed the kick off or something in the end too?!
    We have the same thing with people racing reps on track - I see them go off and try and guess when I'll have reeled them back in. One mile (well, 1600) rep session one guy had a good 60m on me after the first lap. I caught him with 100 to go and didn't see him for the rest of the sesh! 
    Good call on the monster run, still think 15 is a bit too much tbh.

MH - Nice running and goos luck with the house move!

ML - No need for that! Early days, sub 40 10k then sub 7 2k row :o I have been looking at the indoor champs results, depth of talent and size of fields don't seem that great to me but I might just be comparing running races - is it still a relatively new sector of the sport in terms of big events?
    Winter is definitely shit

Reg - it's the Mallorca Ironman 70.3. I've done it a few times before so know the courses and area well but hoping to knock a chunk off my times and place well this year. Is that the Outlaw one? Seems a good event that and I'd like to do another UK one after this I think - done Weymouth 70.3 and a fair few shorter ones.

Club run last night, didn't have time to add on some distance so pushed a little harder than usual, 4.3 in 6:50 average but on a lumpy route (a 6:27 and 6:29 in there)

Gym tonight, going to attempt a 'proper' 2k row effort - see how close to 7 minutes I can get!
  • Iower - yes, nothing free at all sadly. Although the New Balance vests are quite smart, as compared to the plain More mile ones for the masters xc. Be a good piss up after too, which is nice..
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add - had the go ahead yesterday to start planning a 5k (club initially) series this summer and a 10k race. Both flat and fast on the basis to appeal to new runners and established runners looking for a PB. Watch this space!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Give it a go Reg. it's a tough session as the recovery is pretty much 6 min miling or just under and the reps at 5 min or just under so around 3 miles continuous  at 5.30pace.
  • ML84 said:
    Give it a go Reg. it's a tough session as the recovery is pretty much 6 min miling or just under and the reps at 5 min or just under so around 3 miles continuous  at 5.30pace.
    I can't even do the recoveries at the moment Matt  :D
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, I wouldn't chance the race myself.
    That injury you mentioned sounds like the same type that stopped me once in a HM.
     I'd nursed that niggle for several days while gambling I'd be ok on the day. It was, until five miles when it really let go, sending my entire leg into spasms. It didn't even hurt that much.

Shame really. I'd gone through 5 miles in 31 minutes and was cruising. My HM pb of 1:28:33 I'd set after 17 weeks of training from a zero fitness base, and this was only week 33. 

Forcing the pace in training in those days was kill or cure, with kill seeming to win quite often.

🙂

• Morning all!

Reg - what's supposed to be the issue with foam-rolling the ITB? That's one of my key rolling exercises and seems to have sorted out previous ITB issues.

Chilly parkrun this morning, as part of a medium long run of 10.5M. Bit better than two weeks ago! The course was slightly long, as they were making us avoid the football pitches, but that also meant we were squeezed onto a path covered in icy puddles - slightly treacherous at the start with kids, dogs and over-hopefuls in tracky bottoms getting in the way! Anyway, 3rd overall and just scraped under my target of 6mM pace with 18:50 for the slight over-distance course. 

My right knee has been giving me gyp this week (on top of my back and hip!). It does flare up every now and again, and is usually controlled by lots of squats. It's being a bit weird at the moment though, in that it doesn't really hurt running, but occasionally on hills, or when it's twisted I get a sharp pain. Yesterday it was very uncomfortable on the bike, but it was absolutely fine running today, except for once on the Rye steps and again on Amersham Hill.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're going to have to pack running hills in Bus. ;-) well done on the 3rd place but a shame there was no retching! 

This week was supposed to be the last week of doing some of the shorter, faster sessions with a low key 10k on Sunday. That went tits up when they announced they only had 30 entries on the day with the race being an hour away on the coast with 45mph winds forecast. Decided last night to give it a miss so my coach said i can do back to back sessions this weekend.

First one was an 18 mile run with 5 mile at 6.50s then a 60 min 'tempo'. He basically wanted it between 5.30-5.45s and then a couple of mile steady.
    Ran the first 4 miles in hat,gloves,coat,track suit bottoms and then whipped them off at home before battling the wind and rain. Went ok with me doing 10.5 miles in the 60 mins so 5.43s and 18 miles at 6.04 all in. 

No idea what tomorrows session is but I'm hoping its just a long run. Haha. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Top quality training from all and good pr as part of a long run Bus. Agree with Reg that Matt's recovery speeds match many decent runners' reps pace!

First fast paced work for me for 2 weeks after the dental surgery today and really pleased with 18'27 at Woodley for 2nd out of well over 300. The course is super quick compared to most though (whatever Dachs says eh SG!), especially at this time of year where most of them are really boggy. They've even changed the start to tarmac now but that does make it incredibly narrow for such a large field of runners.