Comrades 2018

Comments

• Terry/Becca - good luck with the 30k. Hope it's a headwind though it never seems to be even if it's a circular route :-/

McHilly - sorry to hear about your Achilles. Sounds like it's going in the right direction 

lowrez-cool haul of chocolates. Haven't got plans for London yet. Will go up early with mr ss then try to catch him at 3/4 places on route. Not sure how close to the end I can get so will probably have to Arran to meet up somewhere else. 
  • Terry/becca - hope its a tailwind NOT headwind :#
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ohh, so you are not running London SS? I always think it is a bigger task supporting, especially if you are trying to see someone a few times. Although with the advent of these mobile phone thingys it is getting easier to communicate and know if you are early or late to your next sighting spot.

The winners in Hobart got chocolate hampers! I stayed in the marathon designated hotel and one of them was in the foyer having decanted it all into a reinforced carrier bag for life - it was a vast amount of chocolate!

Hope Terry and Becca haven't been blown away!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I had a good run around the hilly Stamford 30k and it was pleasing to see Terry finishing well. We got a pic with matching hats before the race.  The wind wasn't so bad and we had the hats at the end as well, not having been blown into a ditch.  The 2013 Comrades was a very tough race but had the best hat ever.

London will be a nice easy run round, hopefully. I’m on the Green Start. Going down on the Saturday with mother in tow. Will do the expo midweek. 

Sorry to hear you’ve been injured McH. Hope you are back to 100% soon.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great picture you two; I was looking under your brims to see if they were 90th anniversary caps, but these are much earlier vintage! Well run :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Becca; you know your start colour for London already? Don't think I do; is there a way to find out?
  • Nice pic Terry and Becca. Hope the race was good, enjoy those love heart sweets :)

Had good run at Bramley 20 today as well. Again was windy in places but finished nice and strong. Hopefully all moving in the right direction.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well run Marty, any sweets for you?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Anybody else get the bus tour e-mail today?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I know my VMLM start because it's a good for age place and they go from Green.  At least I'm assuming it will be Green because that's what I've run from in the last few years.  I think the allocated starts are the same every year.

The Comrades hats are 2013.  The year for 30+ degree heat and the berg wind.  The best hat by far though.

Well done Marty.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey and it was an up run too?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Aha - super people gather at green!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Yes and my first Comrades so I thought it was always like that.  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I don't know my number or a start colour yet.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Its the 10th anniversary of me running it for the first time
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm posting a bit at a time in the hope that that 3rd start will appear soon!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    What time did you do that year Becca? Was it the toughest you've had to face? How much more difficult than the others?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    9:24.  I was on Bill Rowan pace up until the last few miles but decided to enjoy the last few miles rather than desperately chasing it.
  • Great running everyone! I also got the bus tour email (Fri 7:30am). I'm aiming to do my longest run of the year tomorrow - 5 miles :-) I've actually really enjoyed my little break from running, and feel fresh and enthusiastic as I start my comeback! Anyone else going to Marathon Talk run camp in 2 weeks time?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Have had a year plus of desperately chasing a sub5 - will be nice to forget about it soon. Brilliant time in those conditions Becca.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I didn't fancy Sandy Balls so I'm not going McH :) Although now I see Jo Pavey will be there I'm definitely reconsidering! Good luck with the 5 tomorrow, I assume the Achilles is behaving?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    My tour is 7:30 Saturday - would have preferred 8:45 but they don't do one. However! Last year they delayed setting off until 8:00 as half the people hadn't turned up, just in case they had got confused about the website saying that versus the official e-mail. So much for the "get there on time because we won't wait" messages... can you see the chip on my shoulder... the first year I dropped in on this party I was 10 minutes late and they didn't wait for me :( - so last year, after a 30 minute delay, no one extra turned up anyway! I could have had 30 minutes more kip!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Its like buses; nothing for weeks and then thousands of comments turn up all at once!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Ha ha.  Loads more comments in the last couple of days.  I wonder why that might be?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    If I can get that 3rd star I can bash that list into shape :)
  • But Saturday is parkrun day! I can't miss that!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH - I have never parkran (don't tell Debra!)
  • Terry, Becca: well done at the 30 - and you both look great on that photo.

lowrez: sympathies re. the registration email mess. I had something similar happen to me on another site. Shocked to hear you're never parkrun - you're missing out on a wonderful experience. As for the marathon timing, don't rely on the watch being that accurate for distance: if I'd done that I would have missed my sub-4 qualification for the 2016 Comrades - luckily I was on a lapped course and knew just how far I had to go, so kept speeding up and sprinted the last half mile to make it in time!

XC yesterday and if my Garmin was correct about the distance I ran it at 7:34/mile for 5.3 miles, which is fast for me. Might be true, because my hamstrings were definitely still and sore today and my glutes a bit as well. Gentle 15.5 miles or so trail run this morning.

• 1owrez - never parkrun, you don't know what you're missing! Try Birkenhead if you'd like something flat, or wepre for some hills, or make you're debut in Durban! parkrun is fantastic, and a great excuse for visiting different places!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    @Debra Bourne - bet that gets me a badge! In my defence at Hobart the distance markers were well confusing; trying to mark up a stretch covered 4 times with meaningful signs is almost impossible, especially when they are also running half, 10k and 5k events on the same road, and my jetlagged mind operates in miles not ks, as for last minute sprints, on my current form that would be a last minute sink.

So, these parkruns, how do you fit them in? Weekends are long run territory for me.