Who runs with illness?

Hi Folks,

Do any of you have chronic illnesses and are still able to run? I am looking for tips on how to manage it. Usually what happens with me is that my medical conditions mean I am off running for a couple of days and then the lack of motivation kicks in. I am trying my very best to get myself out there.

Aany comments/tips would be great.
Thanks.

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi DMax, there is a thread on mental health and injury which you might find useful for hints on how to deal with the times when you cannot run.

But to answer your question yes I do run with illness. I know how you feel about sometimes losing motivation. One very simple thing I do is put my kit out the night before, I tend to go out straight away and sometimes find myself engaged in exercise before I think my brain is up. 

It is tough, some times following a plan helps as you know what you are doing each day. Can you plan with your illness? 
  • DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Hi TT,

Thanks for the reply. I have 8 medical conditions and a the most dangerous is called Addisons Disease, something as simple as a lack of electrolytes can kill me. (It doesn't happen instantly but it does restrict me). At this point I can't make up whether I am genuinely making an excuse or I am being over cautious. I could be doing either. 

I like the tip about getting kit sorted the night before that's a good one. 

To get back to your question though, it's difficult to plan as my body cannot make cortisol for itself so I go to bed each night not knowing how I am going to feel the next day. I wonder if getting into a routine would help to neutralise some symptoms (it's life long illness with steroid medication).

Any help you or anyone could give would be most helpful.
    Thanks,
    D.
  • Yes I have highly active Multiple Sclerosis. I listen to my body and understand when I am genuinely in trouble and when it's just a motivational thing. I run regularly and always start out, if I feel that 20 minutes I I should stop.. I do. In the past year that was just once. Tip would be, be strict with yourself and not let disease ruin your life, but listen when you need to.