Options

Southampton Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi Dave and Mr M- looks like you 2 are getting in some good training. Starting to build up myself now. Did a great 10m race in the freezing cold in 1 hr 17m and did a good 12m training run yesterday. Have now got up to 5 Times a week training with gym/spinning and short midweek runs. Plan now stepping up with some long runs coming up, however got a nice holiday lined up from this Sunday therefore going to get in some good training this week with a 14m runon Saturday to finish off. I’m doing the big London half on March 4th which I will use for marathon prep in terms of breakfast/gels/drink strategy and race pace. 
    Keep up the training the weeks are going to go quick now. 
  • Options
    DT - as you say need more slower paced runs with marathon training, then one or two quality speed / LT runs each week

Ive done 10 miles on a dreadmill a few times but its no fun, always run outside when i can.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    SE2...Nice time for your 10miles. Haven't done one for a long time but really enjoyed Gt.S.Run a couple of times (before the numbers got so high) and a memorable Ostende to Brugge, all a few years ago. But, Yes, happy with how my running is going at the moment.
    Last week was very unusual; with four runs, notching up 45miles. (usually nearer 30). So this week will have to cut back. But feeling good this morning over 8miles; progressing from 9:30 to 8:30 min/miles. Have just heard that my daughter has signed up; her first marathon. Don't know if we'll run together, or if she will prefer to go it alone. (Her 15 miler at the week-end seems to have gone well. Early days, and yet, as you say, the remaining weeks will pass very quickly.) Happy training everyone.
  • Options
    It's good to hear the milage people are putting in, it keeps me motivated... ....I'm running six times a week with a total of 35 miles this week, nowhere as good as you mrm2.. I can fit in a 4 miler on the dreadmill (amusing fat boy) at lunchtime and if I need to do any more miles then I'll go outside or on the dreadmill again in the evening.
    I bought a few of those sis gels when my runs get longer but have never used one... Any side affects Stephen?
  • Options
    I used to enjoy the GSR and think 10 miles is a good distance..but entry fee got a bit tto much for a 10 mile race for me.
    DT - I have used SiS gels and one of the better ones i think - no side effects for me
  • Options
    Gels- good question, I’m not a lover of them but do use them for any run over 13miles. My favourite are Gu which are very strong and I only use for races. For training I use any I can get my hand on. I take 1 every 5miles and have 3 sips of isotonic drink every 3 miles. This is a strategy I use on race day so I try to copy on my LSR. 
    Ive put in a lot of training this week and have a 14miler planned for this Saturday. Then I’m off on holiday to get some sunshine so planning on doing some short runs in the heat while the wife is asleep by the pool?☀️?☀️
  • Options
    I dont use gels up to 18 miles so very rarely use them.. i find i have enough energy to maintain my pace to 18 miles but after that my pace slips unless i use gels.
    Gu are nice taste but are the least fluid. I take anything i can find as i dont generally suffer.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Have never bought gels, and only take a sports drink with me on long training runs, say 15'+, and mainly to get into the habit of drinking on-the-run, although I may take water with me on shorter runs in hot weather. In the two or three marathons where I did take gels that were available, I can honestly say that I didn't feel any benefits. However, I do have your problem, FBT, and invariably lose something in the last 10k. There was an exception to that, in London, 2005, where I couldn't run at my chosen pace, due to crowds. Result:3:47, with a 40 second neg.split. (Took 4 mins. off that 5wks later, in Prague, but with 3min pos.split. Do we ever know?) Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    I'll certainly have to test out using gels.and its good to hear how you use your gels .... I've heard that some people just can't get on with them....enjoy your holiday Stephen...
    A 6 miler for me today with a parkrun ..last week there over a 1000 people at the Southampton parkrun....that's a very crowded start line.
  • Options
    Man flu has finally got me so no running this week for me...
  • Options
    Get better soon FBT
    1k people at a park run WOW that seems a lot. Normally 500 at St Albans and that’s too many!!
    having a good holiday and have completed a nice easy 3m run and a good gym session with bike ride at tempo speed in first 2 Days....

• Options
    I'm hoping that the virus/flu/cold thing I had over Christmas will see me free from further germs for a while....I can hope....!! So good luck with the recovery fbt. You'll be raring to go again soon.
    I'm starting to add proper speed workouts this week 8 X 600m with a 400m recovery and a 5 mile tempo run at marathon pace, rather than just running for those distances. I'm still running six days a week with a 6m and 10m run planned for this weekend..what i have found is that my speed that I run at has decreased with all the miles I'm running, so I feel like it's more of a plod rather than a run....
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    DT, you are so right about mixing -up your paces. There is a lot of emphasis on slow, easy runs...which I understand...but if you neglect the faster miles/ speed workouts, then you will tend to 'plod' as you say. My last track session, a couple of weeks ago, was a set of 6 x 1000m in 5mins. with a 200m recovery in 90 secs. (Gradually reducing the recovery time.)
    FBT this must be the real thing if it's keeping you from running. Hope you recover well; I know what I'm like if I can't get out for a few days!
    Still keeping my running to four times each week, but the last four weeks have averaged 40 miles. Got out in the sunshine yesterday and ran 17', to consolidate before moving up to 20' next week. Included some serious hills, so feeling good. Must make this a cut-back week. Recovery day today, so hope to enjoy some relaxing swimming. Happy running.
  • Options

mrm2 I guess you are doing all that mileage on the roads... my 6 miler on Saturday and 10 miler on Sunday on the roads certainly made my achilles ache, the day afterwards...its all fine now I return to the dreadmill for my easy runs..... do you get any aches the day afterwards with your 17/20 milers..

I am still running 6 times a week... (hopefully 47miles this week), with a 5m mile on Saturday and a long run of 15 miles on Sunday.. that will be the furthest I've ever run in my life.. I'm expecting it to take 3 hours.. probably the time it takes you to finish a marathon. With the mileage going up weekly I am finding it tough going, but it will be all worth while in the end.

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hope that Southampton training is going well for everyone.
    DT to answer your question, most of my miles are on tarmac; seafront, park paths....But I like to use the track a couple of times each month.And when the ground conditions improve I will do some more miles on grass. I don't suffer much with 'next day aches' but plenty of stretching and 'rest' days seem to keep me feeling good. Not surprised when I do feel a little bit of evidence in the quads, e.g., but I do look out for 'one-sided' discomforts which are more likely an indication of a potential injury. In those rare cases I'll give myself an extra off-day. In the six weeks of this year my miles have tallied 34, 39, 31, 45, 42 and 35, from 3, 4, 3, 4, 4 and 4 runs, and longest runs:12, 14, 17, 17, 14 and 17miles. This week's four runs will total about 42 miles, including a 20'. Enough about me, how is everyone else getting on?  
  • Options
    Hi guys- some brilliant training going on by you guys. Some serious mileage taking place. Before my holiday I was concerned I was getting first signs of shin splints (I have had it before 4 years ago) and was glad of an easy week doing very little. My longest run of the week was 6m in 19c heat along a beautiful beach ??☀️. The good news is I have come back totally refreshed and had a great week training with a brilliant long run today of 14miles. Absolutely no shin splint pain (thank goodness) and felt fairly comfortable. I’m not at your distance yet but am planning on doing the. Gade 17m run Sunday a week which is run by Gade running club for anyone doing a spring marathon (London in particular) and is fully marshalled and only costs a fiver. The tea and cakes at the end are superb. Worth looking up if you fancy a nice 17m training race/run.
    no runs for me this weekend as working (hence my long run today) but back on it at gym/Spinning on Monday 
    have a good weekend of running 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    SE2...Great news about the shin-splints. And envious of your 19c beach run! Having said that, my long run today was in glorious sunshine, along a very busy promenade for much of my 20'. Very happy to get that first one done, but plenty of work still to do as I faded in the second half.   Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    I now know how hard the Marathons going to be for me...I managed a 15 miler yesterday after a 5 miler the day before...that was the furthest I've ever run, and was tough going considering I felt like turning back after the first couple miles...i tried out a few sis gels and to be honest I didn't notice any difference...my energy levels were there but my legs weren't. I also tried out a camelbak for the first time..and found its use very good...it's better than carrying a drink around. My legs were tired afterwards but I managed a couple miles walking in the afternoon.
    I am going to try a very easy six miler today and see how I get on.
    I realise that this period of running before the marathon is perhaps the most important with the milage being upped and the longer runs needing to be completed. For me the times at the moment arent that important, it's the milage in my legs and avoiding injury that is. 
    MR2.. there is nothing better than running in the sun...and you are putting in some serious long runs...
    Stephen i did look up the gade run but it's too far away for me...
  • Options
    DT- sounds like you are running well. I’m not a running expert but have been running for a number of years and would suggest 2 things for you that I think might help.
    1. SIS gels are probably the best ones to start with as they are not too strong and more liquid based. The idea of them is to take every 45mins-1hour and on the marathon itself it will hopefully stop you hitting the wall at 18-20m due to a lack of electrolytes in your body. I personally believe in them and for races only will have 1 pre start and then 1 every 5miles with an electrolyte drink (sips only) every 3miles if it’s offered on course. I also religiously have 2sips of my made up drink every 2miles. You need to trial on your training run what works for you as everyone is different. Remember your long runs are for getting you drinking and gel intakes correct as well as showing your legs what a LSR is all about.
    2) if possible try not to do 3 runs on the trot. Give legs/muscles recovery time. Go for a swim/walkor rest. I know sometimes this is not possible with work schedules but try not to pound the legs all the time. Even if you do a spinning class to break up 1 of the runs it will cause less damage.
    as I said I’m not an expert and I have learnt through lots of mistakes along the way. 
    Finally you are correct-don’t worry about time especially on the long run. It’s about miles in the legs. 
    As for me spinning class done this morning- nice walk planned for this afternoon (weather permitting) and then got to read final instructions for the London great half marathon that I’m doing on 4th March. 

• Options

A good couple points there Stephen... I'll have to do some more work with the gels on the longer runs...and see how I feel... and how best it works for me.. I took a sis gel before my 15 miler last week, then one after an hour and then another one an hour later..

I am following the Hanson running method plan.. which has seen me up to this point, but it does mean running 6 days a week and by tiring the legs the day before a big run, means that you should be able to cope with the last few miles of a marathon, that's the theory anyway.... today is my day off...which I really need... perhaps I have been pushing it a bit over the last week... so I think I will run easy over the next few days, just to get the miles in, but not push it with tempos and fast (well fast for me) repeats..... by the way advice and suggestions are always welcome..

It sounds like you're ready for that London half.. which has got me thinking, perhaps I should do a half marathon before the Southampton full.

• Options
    You were right Stephen I was pushing it too hard running everyday, and I caught a cold last week.. i did manage to go out for some easy runs for shorter distances..but I have now decided to take a couple days totally off running to recover properly. Then I will start again...I like your idea of maybe doing some spinning classes..rather than running everyday.
  • Options
    Aghhh just back to running last week. thats 3 weeks out and it feels like on a snake and ladders board i have slipped down a snake all the way to the start. my pace is dire and have no lung capacity.

Big fitness curve to climb for me, and running out of time.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, take it easy; make sure you get there. Only 8 weeks to go. That's also a note to myself as well. Training has been going well, with my second 20' run done last week, in 3:11. Much faster than recommended for my mara. pace, but determined to see an improvement on my first 20'. ( and it was 6 mins. faster) With my last mile being the fastest, and still feeling good, I could get carried away...So, after a 50' week, this has to be another 'cut-back' week. Weather, child-minding, etc..will be some of this week's challenges, but hope to fit in some hills, steady medium dist, and fast/slow kms..
  • Options
    DT- it’s very easy to do too much and push too hard on training runs. Last winter I did a lot of training as I had 2 spring marathons with only a short gap between them so knew I had to be in a good place. 
    FBT- we have all been there!!! You will be surprised how quickly you get back up that ladder. Gently does it.
    mrM2- Thanks for the reminder, I’ve been busy getting ready for this Sunday’s London half marathon that I had lost count of how many weeks away the marathon is.
    Complted a very undulating 17m run on Sunday and was very controlled with a very steady 9min first 5miles then 8:30 pace and then last six at around 8-8:15. Great confidence boost although the hills were tough and need to have a fairly easy week this week as I want to run well on Sunday half as it is a race and should be fairly quick being London. Want to get Two 20mile runs in before Southampton, so going to do Oakley on 17th March and then either Gade on 25th or on my own following week. Will decide as each week comes. Luckily got out today for an easy 3m in between the snow showers. 
    The weather is not making it easy for us.
    happy running 
  • Options
    I went down with a cold/virus thing the week before last, and struggled through it with some slow runs..but then just felt I wasn't recovering, so I've taken the last week off any form of exercise...which means I went from a 48 mile week down to a 30 mile week down to nothing...hopefully after the snow goes I will get back on it and start training again.
    Well down everyone for keeping those runs going...did anyone run in the snow?
  • Options
    Well the last 7 days have tested our training I’m sure. Snow/freezing temperatures and people being ill. That’s what makes doing a spring marathon so hard.
    i did 17miles last Sunday and the followed up with a slow 4m on the Tuesday and a tough spinning class on the Wednesday. The rest of the week was destroyed by the weather which is very annoying. Today I completed the London big half marathon. Great race and got me into the race mode in terms of carbo loading/drink/gels ect. Completed in 1:43:19 with last 2miles comfortable as I felt cramp coming on. Stupid as yet again I didn’t drink enough around the course. 
    Big few weeks coming up- some serious runs/Drink and gel strategy needs to get sorted. 
    DT- you did the sensible thing, now back on this week.
    keep going everyone 
  • Options
    Well done for the London half ....yes back on it tomorrow....and I will be taking it easy
  • Options

Back on the running this week, with a change of plan... rather than running 6 out of 7 days... which I know totally knackered me out, and made me very run down, and every part of me seemed to ache.. I am going to go for less runs but longer runs... so far this week I've done an 8 and 9 miler, with a day off in between, and i'll follow that up with a spinning class today... a small run on Friday maybe a four mile easy run and then a long run on Saturday, with Sunday off.  Hopefully the change of plan will help me recover...

How is everyone else's training going? Especially after the snow break.  

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Good decision DT. I know what would happen to me if I went for 6 out of 7!  I seem to have settled on 4 out of 7 although Sunday's sunshine tempted me out for a fifth (an easy 6') after some snowy days in Chipping Norton. That made it a 50 mile week; most I've ever done. And it included a 10' in sub-zero, with snow in the eyes from the fresh N.E'ly wind. Then an undulating 14 country miles with my daughter, including clambering over snow drifts that hadn't been cleared in minor roads. 
    Back in Bournemouth, having decided that I didn't need to run my next 20' run any faster than the previous one, I went out on Tuesday, planning to run just half of the 20 at around 9:00/mile.  Conditions were so good, and 9:00 miles kept coming. Result:20' in 3hrs and 50secs. (Av. 9:03 pace) and the final mile, still feeling good, in 8:45. Yes, I know all the rules about 'sensible' training, and I've broken a few of them this week, but some days you've just got to run! Now to focus on the last four weeks before my taper.
    Hope to include some hills, a track session, possibly a brisk half marathon and another, easier, 20', plus plenty of easy miles.   Hope all is going well with everyone's running. 
  • Options
    DT- good plan, sounds very sensible and will help you in next few weeks.
    mrM2- you are running really well. Some brilliant distance covered, you are well on course.
    since last Sunday HM I’ve completed 1 gym session with stretches, 1 spinning class and 2 easy runs. Then went today for a LSR of 18m with friends. It was tough and I could really do with a sports massage right now to help with my tight muscles.