Flat foot running shoes advice

Hi everyone, 

I was looking for some phsyical activity to do after work, just to clear my mind and thought running could be a good option.
Started to run about a month ago, 2/3 days a week. But I come to realization that I can't progress! Shortly in my running sessions, under center of my feet (my arch I think) hurts and also sides of my calfs (don't know how exactly to describe it). At first I though it's just because my muscles need to get stronger but when I got the same pain each time and I did some research, it comes out that the arch of the foot is the natural shock absorption part of my foot and I get pains because I more like a flat type arch.

The reason I am writing today is to seek your opinion about if there are any flat foot running shoes you know? Ones I found online are expensive (+£100) and I would be only considering to buy if someone has tested them. Ideally looking for something around £50.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• or what sort of things should i look at when buying?

• Is the possession of flat feet something you've always suffered from, or is it something that's only occurred in recent years?

The reason I ask, is that if it's something that's developed in recent years, for example, exercises to strengthen/re-create the natural arch in the foot can be performed. 

If it's something that you've always suffered from, then the likes of Asics' Gel Kayano and Nike's Zoom Odyessy are possible choices to help support the feet as you run.   

• Hey CJmusd,

Sports direct do some stability shoes for the price range you are after and you can buy online. Whilst these may do the job finding a make and model which you eventually settle with is a more personal and at times esoteric journey.

Running can be very addictive but nothing can take the shine off like persistant niggling injuries so I would suggest getting your running gait assessed and listening to the advice given. As you increase your distance and frequency of your runs you will be grateful for the investment of time and money. The right shoes prevent injury and if you think about what you are asking them to do (approximately 1500 steps per mile) you need to know they are up to the job. 

I eventually settled for saucony guide 7 but have tried a number of other makes along the way, all of which have been stability shoes or motion control shoes but for one reason or another they did not fit the bill though all prevented the calf, knee and ankle pain I got when I first started running.

it is also worth looking at the brand websites directly as there are often bargains to be had.

Good luckimage

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Go to a shop, try some trainers on, go with the ones you find comfortable image 

• Do you know anywhere I can check my gait? I think Run4it does it, but don't know anywhere else.

I also checked with my local Sports Direct and people doesn't seem to know much about these things. I can't just try some trainers on. I need to run with them to see if they are the fit image 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I have no idea where you live Google for local running shops

• So, I have been to runforit ant bought a pair of Brooks,adrenalite gts 16. The support level on these ones are 5, I think and the pain I used to have are now gone. The only thing I need to work on is my breathing as I get easily tired within 200-300 meters. I will see my gp on friday for an evaluation but was wondering if you guys have any advice??

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Run slower until you are more experienced image

• I have flat feet too. I purchased some trainers designed with a higher arch from sports direct. It was comfortable but it must of changed my gait or something and my knees suffered as a result. I now wear karrimor trek trainers. They grip the feet far better. I've also learned to run more on my toes and my flat feet are no longer a problem.
  • I have very flat feet but I don't overpronate really - have had gait assessed in the past and am looking to get back in to running if possible. There are so many shoes about - and just jogging round a shop doesn't tell me whether they are going to be OK or not. Any clues as to a shoe that is not too wide (I have narrow heels) that offers arch support but doesn't need to be for overpronators? Bit of a mindfield!