Beginner gym advice

Hi all :)
<p>
</p>
<p>I've been going out jogging 2-3 times a week for the last couple of months in an attempt to lose weight (and its working miracles 2st 7lbs lost). I started out just going round the block for a couple of weeks and since then have slowly built up to 3 miles.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p><span>Im also a member of my local gym and was wondering if any of you guys have a gym routine to aid running and to avoid injury hips/knees/ankles</span></p>

Comments

• A cross trainer/elliptical trainer will help you do interval training to build up your cardiac stamina, whilst giving your joints a break.
  • SaeSaeSaeSae ✭✭
    Agree that adding in some cross training is a good idea. I have injured my knee because I did too much running and not enough other stuff. A nice beginners cardio set in the gym could be 10mins on the cross trainer, 15 mins on a bike then 5 mins on a rowing machine. Spend some time stretching everything out afterwards, focussing on calves, quads and hips. 
  • I find stretching makes me worse, i prefer a decent warm up.
  • Make use of the hip abductor machines if you have any at your gym, these will strengthen your glutes and hips...
    It's also worth doing some squats, and maybe some low weight deadlifts. 
  • Hi there, I do cross-trainer and floor exercises at the gym as well as the upper body machines and I've even boxed at the gym. I've found combining running and gym, whichever order you do it in, keeps you motivated.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Well done on the weight loss, that's a fantastic result.

As has been mentioned cross training is good. As well as running 3-4 times a week I try to fit in a couple of sessions in the gym during the week as well. On these I would alternate between weight work (nothing too heavy I go for 12 reps at a reasonable weight where I can maintain form and would work chest and triceps or back and biceps) and working on my core and glutes.

All helps, but the core and glutes will be the more beneficial in terms of your running. The strong core will help in preventing any back issues and the glutes will aid your running and also take the strain off of your lower leg muscles where you are more likely to pick up a strain. In this try plank, side plank and squats. I'd suggest with the squats watch yourself in a mirror to get the form correct (keeping back straight and stomach muscles engaged) and once you have that start using a weight such as a kettlebell to provide a bit of resistance.

If you've got the opportunity at your gym it might be an idea to have a session or two with a personal trainer, just so you're ensuring you're doing things correctly. 

• Going to the gym and getting through a workout is a huge part of building your best self
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Google StrongLifts 5x5.  Perfect strength building programme for a beginner. And much better for you than just running.