P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Very impressive MP LR, AWC. Bodes very well for London. 

Very great LR from Phil as well. I haven’t read further down yet, but looking forward to some groin massage jokes. 

Millsy a two minute PB is huge! Great work and a very strong finish. 

Reg I think 13M at MP given your illness and injury is very impressive. Especially off so little training. 

Jooligan it it was great to see how elated you were at the finish. And rightly so! Maybe there’s something in the whole racing only once a day. But where would be the enjoyment in that?! Really well done. I did see someone having a Radcliffe mid race. 

Absolutely great tactical racing Tom. Have a brilliant half term. Well deserved. 

Haha love the attitude Joe. Well raced. Agreed that mile 11 was filthy. A bloody good result off pure tri training. Bodes very well for your season ahead. 

Hell of a LR spoons. Were they the gels you’ll get at Manchester? I reckon a training marathon at appropriate intensity would do you no harm at all. 
  • Wokingham Half 2018 race report:

For the first time, I targeted a half as an A race. In part this was because we might be moving house around the time of VLM but also because I wanted to see what I could achieve with a taper and a slight change of focus on speed and shorter runs. 

I followed the P&L 12 week half plan 65-80M. Early on it had lots of tempos (often split into two blocks with a short rest). The long run never exceed 18M and there were a few more double recovery days than I’m used to. As per P&D, there were vO2 sessions later on, although strides and short hill sprints were a constant. 

During the plan I had a good result of 2nd in an 18M trail race, a 5M PB of 29:13 and a 5k PB of 17:44. I picked up a calf strain which I seemed to managed out quickly, although then picked up a dodgy hamstring on the same side which still isn’t 100%. Despite a sensible plan and a good taper, it took until the day before the race to feel truly recovered. A bit nerve wracking, but actually perfect timing. 

Race day weather was good. Cool 5-8C, just as I like it. And fairly light winds albeit with a tail wind for 9-12M to combine with a bit of net uphill. It was great to see Joe, Tom, Reg before the race and Jooligan after. Sorry not to see you Macca and Millsy - hopefully at London. Standard two mile warm up with drills and strides. I liked the baggage and changing set up - it enabled me to have easy access to my blood sugar meter and also drop off warm up clothes. 

I knew 6:06 would give exactly 1:20 finish. The first mile, unsurprisingly, was a little quick at 5:50 but seemed to settle around 6:00s quite nicely. I had a nice little group going but followed my usual tactics of easing back on he uphill bridge crossings, not wanting the burn the matches too quickly. Unfortunately, I was flying solo from about mile 5 onwards. I tried to bridge to a group about 30m ahead but it was just too much. This cost me a bit as we turned into the headwind at mile 9. My splits dropped to about 6:20 for the final three miles and I knew I’d be cutting things very fine. I was absolutely hanging on and was glad to reach a bit of downhill in the last mile. I was being overtaken and was really struggling. As we rounded the final bend I could see the clock ticking over 1:19:30. Oh my god! I knew I had a few seconds on chip time but it was going to be close. Whilst these things are never accurate, garmin connect had me doing the final .1M at 4:54 pace. Needless to say I overtook a couple then! I was destroyed at the finish but it was lovely to be congratulated by Joe and Tom. 1:19:45 on the watch and I am over the moon with that. Goal achieved and I feel very pleased. With half an eye on London I then went for a 5M jog, heading back out on the course for 2.5M before turning around. I quite like doing this as it gives a real appreciation for the excellent efforts put in further back in the field. 

As it’s the start of half term, my wife and I treated ourselves to a night away at a spa hotel. A lovely way to unwind. Nice beer and wine did flow! A 3M recovery with her this morning - 9:20s the most I had to offer. Very stiff calves and glutes - it was worth wearing my racing flats as it was my A race, but it will definitely take longer to recover from. I also managed to run into a wooden post and smashed my hip - idiot. Very sore now. This week’s plan is to just do recovery running without any quality at all. I then have a local 10k on Sunday but we’ll see what brings in due course. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Brilliant SQ. Well done.
    My LT run went ok. MY LT pace used to be my MP. Oh well. Onwards and downwards.
    Oh, and winter is coming. No really. Don't pack away your YakTrax yet.
  • Yippee (or other appropriate celebratory noise) - some nice PBs from Wokingham - congratualations to Millsy, Jools and SQ.  And a second fastest HM from Tom, an excellent rather than decent race I would say. Nice loo PBing and very close to your other PB Joe.  Great to hear you ran it Reg.

Thanks for the reports everyone - recover well.

Trainingwise 16 with 12 seemed to be quite popular yesterday - Good work by ramjet, JohnOz and AWC and by spoons and Phil on your long runs  

Clubbing after 20 miles sounds very hard work Andy.  Hope the cold isn't a bad one.  

I've been watching quite a bit of the olympics Westy (good coverage here).  The ski aerials look pretty bonkers as well.  Nice to see the odd GB flag here and there in various events.

My 16 with 12 yesterday turned into 16 with 8.7 as I set off too fast on the MP section and fought the wind rather than accepting doing a few seconds slower.  Other excuses: it was cold and the wind turned my quads to concrete within a couple of minutes, I was out on my own, and I left too long after breakfast and was consequently getting hungry again.  A gel took the edge off of that though.  Plenty of things to work on. 
  • Good effort, Hazel. 

Thanks, Westy. Well done on the LT. God it does look cold towards the end of the week and onwards. Lots of -3C knocking around. Although it would be illegal to wear anything other than short shorts and a vest in a 10k. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Here's the adorable Tomasz Schafernaker explaining the SSW...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/20992173
  • Great long runs - Spoons/Andy/Ramjet/AWC and John
    Superb/massive PB's by Jools and Millsy!!
    Reg - A great run off so little training!
    Tom - Impressive peformance. I think you should go for it at Bath.
    Joe - A great run, so close to your PB!
    SQ - Great PB for you. Good to see the plan pay dividends and get your sub 80!!

Plan had a tune up race this weekend, so I was considering a parkrun, but as my local parkrun has been cancelled at the last minute quite often and them posting about icy conditions on Friday, I binned it off and did an easy 10 miles instead, started easy and picked up pace later on. Then a 3 mile recovery with strides on Sunday.
  • Well done Hazel.
    SQ: Great report & congratulations again. Did you wear your Piranhas? I considered it but opted for the greater cushioning of the Bostons.
  • Some great MP sessions over the weekend, Ram, AWC, John, Hazel and LRs Westy, Spoons, Andy, Phil - apologies to anyone I've missed, there was so much going on.

For various reasons, all fantastic performances at Wokingham yesterday, Tom, Joe, SQ (or should that be sore hips) Millsy, Reg and Jools.

My Wokingham

I wasn't quite sure how to approach this half as I didn't feel in PB shape.  A 7m LT session, a half in a 20m sandwich or flat out race ?  A toilet queue (my fault for not getting there early) put paid to any decent miles before the race so flat out it was but not before bumping into Joe and Tom in the starting pen.  I quickly moved myself further back, unbeknownst to me behind SQ, Millsy and Jools although I later recognised Jools was 5 or 6 rows in front of me.  I was struck how appropriately placed in the pens most people seemed to be so no weaving even from the off.  I settled into a crowd that seemed to be running around 6:30mm with only the occasional runner drifting forwards or behind.  As said above, the mile markers were in amazing agreement with my garmin.  I noticed the two humps on the bridges over the motorways on the way out but whilst a hard effort, it felt manageable for the time being.  I could see Jools ahead, I counted about 25s at around 7 miles but my pace felt just on the line so didn't/couldn't increase it.  Up to 9 miles the pace was within a few secs of 6:30mm either side and I remember thinking I would take a 1:25:XX there and then. Mile 10 slipped to 6:43 then a 6:56, a 6.55 and a 6.48 to finish.  I felt the motorway bridges take their toll on the way back but I think that was more me than the course.  It was good to get some encouragement off Joe warming down in the last half mile but I really needed that 2 or 3 miles earlier, so if you could finish a bit quicker next time and get yourself down the course ?  All in all, a good days effort and a fast course so I expect I'll be back.  I knew I wasn't in PB shape but had hoped to be a little closer to PB than 2mins so a slight tinge of disappointment.  I gave myself a 4mile warm down as punishment and it was punishing.  That said, 7secs behind my 2nd best half so I can't grumble.  There's a fast, low key, local half in a couple of weeks so I hope to show a bit of improvement there.

• A couple of moments that didn’t make the report on grounds of taste, in my warm up mile stumbling across a chap laying a cable beside the football pitches, nice.  Being overtaken in mile 10 or 11 by someone who 10 secs earlier was retching their guts out at the side of the road.  
  • SQ - just brilliant mate, as mentioned before.

Macca - apologies, I can only try and be faster next time. I think you should be happy with that considering you weren't exactly going in with fresh legs, I think you're in a great place to build from.

Hazel - sounds like a really good run to me.

Spoons - as you know, big fan of the over distance training. As others say, just keep it nice and comfortable, I wouldn't really worry too much about pace or putting harder sections in there. Everyone is different though, so be careful with it. 

Had an easy 30 minute spin this morning and will run the 5 or so miles home from work to loosen the legs. 
  • Well done everyone and thanks for the reports, sounds one to do in the future.
  • Just had a look at Wokey photos. Make a few appearances with Reg early on. And then I’ve got a pretty impressive gurn on for the sprint finish. 

Enjoyed the report Macca. A bit rogue, but I try to go No2 in the portaloo very early before queues. Then last minute No1 in a choice bush. 

Jooligan I did indeed wear the Asics Piranhas. They are very light and feel like paper thin plimsoles at best. But I’m used to doing all my road running in training in Adios. 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done Tom on an super fast and evenly paced race.

Nice report JB and a fantastic time.

Spoons - the real question is how will it affect your training in the week after the marathon. If you can do your normal training I suspect it is OK.

Sub 1:20 SQ ;-)

Nice MP run Hazel

That's still a very good time Macca.

8 slow miles for me this morning - that MP run still in my legs so strides will have to wait until later in the week.
  • Enjoy the recovery week Ramjet  :)

Considering you didn't know what to expect the outcome of Wokey to be that's a brilliant run Tom!

With some more running miles in the legs a half PB is there for the taking Joe, along with 10km by the looks of things

No personal experience of full distance training runs RSR but I know a few on the sub 3 thread do them. Tbh if you recover from 24 miles well, the extra 2 miles isn't going to make much difference I suspect

Great racing SQ and nice way to recover too  ;)

Sounds like you'd have learnt alot from that run Hazel, plenty of time to correct things!

Can't be too disappointed with that Macca, a PB will come when you target a half closer

Easy 30mins yesterday and heading down to the group session tonight

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    15mi today, I think, either today or tomorrow.
    I know I bang on about the weather all the time, but...we are set for a deep freeze...especially where you are Hazel...
  • Macca - Good time considering you were not targetting the half.

Vo2 max session this morning...eeurgh! 9 miles with 2*1200m, 2*1000m and 1*800m!! Reps were 4:31/4:38/3:50/3:57/2:59. Tough and happy with that except the 3:57...slipped a bit on that one. That's my last speed session of the plan done.
  • Just popping in to say well done to everyone at Wokingham, and a delayed Happy Birthday to Hazel! 

Still no running from me, but I have been swimming - I think HA will allow such things given the circumstances. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Somehow missed out - well done Joe, the only surprising thing is that you didn’t PB!

nice reps Steve. It’s getting to the pointy end of P&D when the vo2 max sessions start
  • Scott - you targeting anything in the near future?

Westy - I've seen the ice age is coming, even down south. I'm terrified. Good luck with the 15.

Nice vo2 reps steve, always a nasty session.

JCG - hope all is well.

Had a recovery run last night which felt fine. Will swim and bike today and stay off my feet.

Just had it confirmed we did win the team prize (by 12 seconds.. http://wokinghamhalfmarathon.co.uk/ResultsMensTeamsWokinghamHM2018.pdf) - £50 each and an engraved brandy glass is a nice touch. Made my day, that!
  • Brr to the shorts and vest at -3 SQ.

Well done on your Wokingham time Macca.  Errm - is laying a cable a euphemism for... ???  If so.. really very nice.

Enjoy your group run later Scott, will be doing the same myself.

Weather is an interesting topic for me too westy as I also paraglide.  This is our beast from the east by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bise.   I'm quite a way from Lake Geneva (fortunately as my German is much better than my French) but that wind can blast its way through here locally too.  Temperature wise we will be down to freezing again the next few days which doesn't bother me that much but I don't like the wind at all for speed work (hmm need to find somewhere sheltered for Thursday's Vo2 max stuff then)

Nice to see you JCG.  Hope you are well.

Nice team prize goodies Joe.  You could put the 50 quid into something to put into the glass. :)
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Spoons: if you want to do a sub 3 training marathon I doubt there's any harm in it this far out but not sure what you'll gain either.
    Very nice JB. Worth the extra effort even though it wasn't quite a PB.
    Good session Steve - probably a GPS glitch on the 4th effort ;)
    Slow miles all week for me Ramjet although legs are a lot less trashed than after the previous weekend's mud n hills.
    4M yesterday & 8M this morning. Another 8M home & that'll do for the day :)

• Jooligan - very impressed, not sure I could hack 16 miles today. In fact, I definitely couldn't.

Written a blog on Wokingham if anyone wants a read; 

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/20/wokingham-half-marathon-18-02-2018/
  • Hope the group session goes well, Scott. I actually have time this week, but will abstainpost race. Shame. 

Strong work, Steve. Getting close now!

Good work on the team prize, Joe. Professional athlete. Surely full times soon?!

Hip absolutely killing yesterday after twatting myself into a wooden stake/bollard. 6 very slow recovery miles on grass this morning helped (8:45s). Had a long day driving so also did a 4M recovery in Chichester at a similar speed. Feels a bit like a dead leg. Enjoying the easy running. More tomorrow. 
  • Really enjoyed the blog Joe. Very well written. And thank you for the shout out! Love how many near-PBs you were posting mid race. Do or die! I think it is worth this approach, especially when not an A race. It can be how you make the biggest leaps. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Good miles SQ.
    Cheers JB. Good blog as ever which explains why your legs are more trashed:
    1. only 30mpw & nothing over 13 since Christmas
    2. you went into the hurt zone & toughed it out in there
    I notice from Strava that those Ultra beasts Millsy & Macca have both done MLRs today. Macca even managed to throw 6x1K@LT in too! Legs are OK but definitely glad I'm not trying to make them go fast.
    Abingdon opened yesterday. I'm in :)
    Anyone else joining me?
  • Tough VO2 max session that Macca! 

In response to you Joe, my main target is to get a solid base in ready for the track season. Probably nothing much until then

Congrats on the team prize Joe, handy that  :)

Hopefully after a couple of easy days the legs will recover SQ

Group session tonight on the track of 3 sets of 800 (90) + 2 x 400 (60). Rep paces were 2:37, 71, 73 / 2:37, 74, 74  / 2:39, 75, 74. Felt good to blast some reps

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Solid speed session Steve - well done.

Very impressive double Jooligan!

Had a decent 12 mile MLR today averaging 7:43 pace. However I feel completely wiped out this evening. Completely glued to the sofa. Probably a lurgy coming on. Hopefully nothing too serious!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Just read back on the Wokingham reports – was a great day for the thread and really enjoyed all the reports!

Macca – so inconsiderate of Joe not finishing sooner! Still a strong run as you aren’t in PB shape.

Tom – well paced race and a really brave decision to break away from the group and take the race on yourself. Clearly the right decision and well done on your 2nd quickest half!

SQ – coming round that corner and seeing that clock must have been tough knowing that you had to find something more to get you there! Brilliant finish – its amazing when you feel totally spent that you can summon up the strength to give it some more – you’re obviously very mentally strong.

Reg – very decent performance given all your injuries woes. I hope they clear up properly and you can get back into things

Joe – great race when you are 5 months away from the big goal and haven’t been specifically focusing on this one. Well done on the team prize as well!

Jools – monster of a report! That’s a hell of a time to take off your PB – all that racing must have finally paid dividends. You even had time to do a Radcliffe if you’d really wanted!

Millsy – that’s a massive PB. Got job you went with your lungs and not your head! It’s great the way thinking that its just a parkrun to get home at this pace really helps

Hazel – just sounds like on of those bad days/runs that you just need to forget about and crack on with the next one

Really enjoying having a recovery week. Have a bit of a cold, nothing serious but will be good to be rid of it by the weekend. RunCamp last night, sandwiched between a 10 miler so the glutes are a bit stiff today. Nice not having to run a half marathon mid-week this week.

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    NIce speedy reps Scott, seems like you are well and truly back. 

SQ - sounds painful, hope it’s just a bit of bruising. I once ran into a tree, on a trail as I was watching my feet I smacked my head right into a thick overhead branch. Massive lump and black bruise. 

Amazing that jools, millsy and macca are back into MLRs, definitely the mileage monsters in this thread. 

First speed reps of the plan today, 6x800m in 2:53-2:57 (except for one in 3:00 where I lost concentration). Felt about the right pace although plenty of huffing and puffing going on as its ages since I’ve done anything really fast. Best thing about recovery week is the relative lie in (5:30 instead of 5:00!)