Sub 3h15

Comments

• Lovely trails GM

SBD sure you will love NY. The last 10 or 11m are demanding as Manhattan Island is less flat that it looks. Not a race to go out too hard. On the Monday morning the top of the Empire State is chockers with hobbling runners as you can survey the whole route from there. Not to be missed.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good news on your groin injury Mr Soft- hope the 16 went off ok?

PMJ, great report & what a cracking time. Any reasons you can identify for such a strong performance below your target?

BB great running as usual- I assume you are still racing with the cracked rib but doesn't seem to have any negative effect?

Gerard that looks like a beautiful course and a good weekend of pace.

DT19- good luck with the big target. Have you factored in more time to go to the pub ;)

I had a good 20 miler y/day at 8:20 pace with 51 for the week.

• OO - congratulations - that's super-fast racing and a huge chunk to knock off the PB.
    Leslie - must be a good feeling to get a few miles under the belt again and do parkrun with your daughter.
    PMJ - nice work in Wokingham.
    MrSoft - good news indeed and nice long run.
    Poacher - good mileage for a busy week. You need to go on a quest to find the missing part of your key.
    RunningGas - great week of training; sounds like you're back on track.
    Badbark - congratulations yet again and impressive especially given your rib injury.
    GM - great racing again. You're are in excellent form. Nice pic too.
    DT19 - well done on the 20 miler. Hope you can get a solid week in with the family away.
    Birch - very sensible approach. Enjoy today's run.
    11 easy miles to start the week for me, with 12 x 100m strides.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I always fail to notice when there's a new page started! Good 20 miler OO.

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    OO54 said:

Good news on your groin injury Mr Soft- hope the 16 went off ok?

PMJ, great report & what a cracking time. Any reasons you can identify for such a strong performance below your target?

BB great running as usual- I assume you are still racing with the cracked rib but doesn't seem to have any negative effect?

Gerard that looks like a beautiful course and a good weekend of pace.

DT19- good luck with the big target. Have you factored in more time to go to the pub ;)

I had a good 20 miler y/day at 8:20 pace with 51 for the week.

It went well.  I used it to practise taking gels/water/hydration drink for the first time for this marathon training.  Legs were tired towards the end, but looking back on my strava from my last marathon on my 16 miles I struggled at the end then too. 

I'm looking forward now to two 18 mile long runs for the following two Sunday's which I can do at long race pace without having to worry about running any marathon pace during it. My other runs during the week worry me more.  I seem to be ok on my steady runs and threshold runs but anything quicker than threshold my pace seems to be noticeable slower than what I have done previously.    

• @GerardM great photo - I'd love to do more trail runs; so much more interesting than the road. Only managed the Gower Endurancelife half a couple of times - so tough in comparison! Great result coming in #2 as well!

Loving those multi-part medals; so cool.

Didn't manage the recovery run yesterday - spent the morning watching GB get robbed in ski slopestyle then just never made it out; made up for it just now with a solid 9 on the treadmill with middle 7 and a bit at 6:40 pace. Hoping that's a good sign for Sunday's performance - really need to take more of my tempo and speed runs outside though...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    For those going to the Nationals XC this w/end- I'm going with a few club pals. We are taking a small camping tent to leave our bags. We'll put up the club flag 'North Shields Poly'. So this is one way to find me. If any of you are in a club tent please post details.  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    And this is me in club vest after the w/end relays
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Looking far too fresh there, OO:)

Went for a slight mix up session tonight. Idea was to do alternate miles of 6.5x and 6.2x. Splits came out at 6.51, 6.27, 6.44, 6.23, 6.56, 6.23. Average was 6.38.
    Very pleased with that what with a 20 miler and 5k in my legs from the weekend. Chest felt clear and I shoved my face above a bowl of boiled water and Vicks Vaporub with a towel over my head as soon as I got in to keep the airways expanded and kill of the last of this bug which is almost done (at last!).

6 miles for the week!  :D:D
  • SBD. said:

Excellent time PMJ  - 1:30 always seemed a little soft.  So what's the next HM target?

None for now. Will have a look at Maidenhead 10 on Good Friday and Marlow 5. Really need to concentrate on speed for a while and see if a low 19 or ideally 18.xx 5k will happen.
  • OO54 said:

Probably an easy target but a big bit of it was certainly the three whole days rest so I ran Tuesday and then next run was Saturday which was 5 miles spread over a couple of hours (so maybe 1.5 miles before parkrun, then 1.5 while parkrun was on before the finishers got to the end and then a couple afterwards.
  • Good pic OO . Forgot to say Haweswater is out, got to go earn a crust. Hope you have  a good carbo load at the Old Keswickian
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh rest PMJ. I’m not so good at that.
    No worries Poacher another time maybe.
  • nick - nice treadmill run.
    GD - another very impressive session.
    12 miles this morning with 3 x 2M efforts. 6:28, & 6:24, 6:23 & 6:28 and a very disappointing 6:35 & 6:43 to finish. The last mile of the last rep was on my way home so took in a few twists and turns, but a definite slow-down anyway.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks pretty solid to me Gul
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's rubbish, Gul.   :D

Blimey! There's no pleasing some people. Brilliant session, Sir! I'm copying that. B)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

oo-Well done on the 20. Its a difficult balance when the family are away as there are competing interests of overloading the training, getting some decent sleep in and going to the pub. I managed nearly 9 hours last night so feeling quite refreshed today and tonight is pub night to watch the footy.

Gul- Good start to the week for you. Looks like a pretty decent session to me.

Well done on the 16, Mr Soft.

Nicko, good going on the treadmill. I used to do all my tempo and intervals on the treadmill, now I just do the intervals there, though they aren't all that frequent. One of the biggest contributors in my opinion to when I suddenly started my improvement curve over summer 15 was taking my tempo work to the outdoors.

Nice session yesterday, G-Dawg.

The combination of 2 things I've not done much of lately (20 miles and a flat out parkrun) left my legs quite stiff yesterday. I managed a very light 20 minutes on the treadmill followed by my usual Monday night spin class. Legs feel much looser today.

If I can get what I plan out of this week, that'll be 4 solid weeks so with Bath half a week Sunday I'll combine a cut back week with a taper so that I am reasonably well placed to put a decent marker down and get some idea of what I can achieve at London. That'll then leave me with a 6 week block of training to build on wherever I end up in Bath.

• Gul  - 3 x 2m is a tough sesh. A great one to do if training for a 10k. Is that your 1st one of those in a while? Did you have recoveries in between them? I haven't done one of them in about 10 months but plan to do a few after this weekend's XC as I have a 10k in early April. I bet your next one will be more consistent.

OO/Lorenzo - Thanks for posting your clubs details etc. I am trying to ascertain what are group are doing. There are only a few of us participating and I don't even know if we will have a tent/club area as a base.

• Gul that's a good session and you know it.

Bit of a shock this morning - running along the canal towpath and was greeted by a cheery hallo and beaming smile from....Edwina Currie. 
  • G-Dawg - great session, good to hear that the lurghy has just about gone...feels good doesn't it!

I managed a good workout today despite the wind!

2 miles warm up, 5 x (1 mile @ 6:30 pace, 3 min recovery), 2 miles cool down.

The plan was to do 6 miles @ 6:40 but I felt good until the last rep where I was hanging on. Didn't want to push it too much with Sundays 20 miler still in my legs so bailed on the last rep....weak!! lol
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Running Gas.

5 slow miles for me over lunch averaging 8.45mm. Pleasantly effortless. Planning an interval pyramid tonight of 400, 600, 800, 1000, 800, 600 and 400. I'm not really looking forward to it as I genuinely hate that side of training and often wonder if it brings enough to the table to justify the risk of injury that it carries.
  • DT19 - yes I definitely need to take my tempos outside - was a mix of less impact on the achilles and getting a feel for a constant pace; hopefully be able to ditch the treadmill after the weekend.

@"Gul Darr" & RunningGas - great long interval sessions there; might try the 5x1milers tomorrow as last hard run before Brighton.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you can stick a bag in out tent if needed Gerard.

Sounds like a good beer/run balance DT19

I'm in Amsterdam planning a gentle run with a colleague before the carnage starts...  

• OO - That's really kind, thanks. I'll keep it in mind. Ooh, enjoy the fun in the Dam! 

4 mile lunch run in the sun but really windy again,  6:49 avg. The legs felt a bit stiff after Sunday's trail race even after a rest day yesterday. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That sounds very scary Poacher.

Windy here as well but still relatively warm.  Ten steady miles this afternoon to keep the legs ticking over.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Enjoy Hamsterjam OO. Hope you're not planning hill reps, waste of time!!  :D

Windy sessions for GM and SBD. I hear ya, although not really that bad for me tonight.

10 cheeky ones after working in London today. Had a cup of tea before venturing out and really didn't want to get off the sofa. Had to as arranged to meet a mate. Both had speedy sessions yesterday so we just did steady pace with a few pushes to increase leg turnover in a fartlek type style.

Averaged 7.05 pace and am really pleased at how comfy I felt after the first mile. The difference at running almost lurgy free really is quite stark. Just got to stay focussed and not get over excited and push too hard with my new found clear chest.
  • G-Dawg - Great sesh and I always think the best time to run is when you least want to. Feels more rewarding afterwards, although thankfully I hardly ever get that feeling. Glad you're on the mend. The lurgy is doing the rounds in my office again! Everyone is dropping like flies. I am petrified I'll catch it before this weekend's XC. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a day dressed in full SCUBA gear is called for in the office for the rest of the week, GM. Can't be too careful.  :D
  • Might book annual leave G-Dawg. ?