Running and bad skin!

2»

Comments

• The smell of Lush gets easier the more you go in!! I used to find it incredibly overpowering but went into a Lush on the weekend to get some stuff and I don't notice it at all anymore. And yes, they're all natural hand-made products.
  • Lush- Rock star soap is my fave! and the bath bombs!!!
  • Thanks for all the advice guys - all very helpful! Unfortunately it has become academic in terms of running, as I've been told by my doc not to run any more because of an old injury (too much imbalance). Poo!
  • Just about to join in the conversation re the spots.....but more importantly, so sorry the doc says you can't run anymore - is it temporary or permanent? Hope it's a temporary thing.....

On the spot subject, I had bad acne when younger but it cleared through my 20's and 30's. Now as I up my mileage to train for my first marathon later this autumn, I have had massive break out on my neck, around the throat area. I'm 40, this is not supposed to happen! But I'm sure it's due to increased mileage and increased sweating.

In desperation I tried one of my old remedies which I got from the chemist, benoxyl 5. But my skin has changed since I was younger and seems to be more sensitive and of course it generally is on the neck. Big mistake. I now have a large patch of flame red, peeling dried out skin on my neck which is really sore. Emergency measure is to use aqueous cream and calamine (comes as a single cream, £1.40 from the chemist) and this is helping to calm it all down.....

And yet, underneath, I can still feel the two boil type spots I was trying to get rid of.......

I use evening primrose oil and cod liver oil (have done for 10 years for pmt which has worked really well - 1000mg), keep very clean before and after runniing, use a light exfoliant once or twice a week, cleanse, tone and moisturise using Simple or Clinique.....

I feel like a teenager again and may just have to run with a bag over my head.

Will have to wait for my flare up to calm down before attempting any of the suggestions above.......Nog you have my sympathy....I know how you feel!
  • Thanks Jackie, but unfortunately it is permanent. I broke my leg badly when I was 9, and as a result I have a fairly severe imbalance which is causing me problems with knee and hip. I was sort of expecting to be told to do something else, but it's still very disappointing as I'd just run my first 10k race!!

I switched from various lotions and potions to straightforward Boots tea tree stuff at the weekend, with a flannel ... so fingers crossed, it might help a bit. I was feeling positive about it all until I felt a big lump appear on my nose!! Sod's law really. Ah well, there are worse things!
  • So sorry to hear about your leg.....what a nightmare. What are your alternatives - Are swimming or cycling ok?
  • Yeah, that's what the doc suggested. The only problem is that cycling also hurts my shoulder and hip (falling to bits, me!!) and I find swimming very boring! I was thinking about getting swimming lessons to show me how to swim properly, and maybe give me something to work at instead of just doing breaststroke up and down the pool and gradually drowning ... lol
  • I think swimming lessons is a good idea, I've thought about doing the same thing......best of luck with it....may be your skin will improve with a dose of chlorine!
  • That's bad news nog. Some people love swimming though don't they so maybe it gets good when you know how to do it properly? (I am completely rubbish). I'm on my 4th day of 1000mg evening primrose!
  • It is bad news indeed. Ah well, sh!t happens! As you say, maybe swimming will really clean my skin up!! Now that would be a bonus ...
  • This necro-ing a bit, however for those who are suffering from skin issues . . .

I used to cycle a lot, and cyclists get issues in the nether regions. There are various heavy-duty creams for slathering on your bits, to stave off boils, infections, friction; when riding 12-20hours a day, you really need help.

Quite by accident I found a hand cream that worked well to keep away fungal problems, dry skin and infections that is also a moisturiser. It is called Udderly Smooth - the name comes from the origin, it is derived from a cream made for smoothing on cow udders.
  • I once start getting a couple breakouts on my chest, which had literally never happened for me before. I don’t know if it was running related for me, or moreso linked to a low fat diet. I think that can mess around with your hormones. With runners, we get alot of emphasis on how we’re supposed to eat loads of carbs.... So I tried a higher fat diet a one point to see if I’d notice a difference in my skin, so I included lots of coconut, avocados, olives, nuts and seeds and noticed my skin improved massively. But I felt my perfomance slip quite a bit. So I try to just eat a good balance of macros. Never doing low fat again!! I’ve never ever been someone who had issues with breakouts, when I started getting a couple spots on my chest I was freaking out ahaha... convinced its a macros issue though lol
  • dont have that many dairy products... cut down big time on them, they trigger skin problems in a bad way!
    Thats it. 
    I have had eczema all my life. Its now almost gone as I basically cut out all dairy It was a simple choice. Eczema can get infected with Staphylococcus aureus, which is bad and can last for a long time and cause scarring. Im a vain bugger and I wasn't having that. Also no perfumed products, I haven't washed my face with anything other than water in so long I can't remember. Keep it simple. The only moisturiser I use is Aqueous cream from the chemist and E45 if I flair up a bit. In the Summer it can flair up so I am even more careful till the extra UV does its job. In the winter I can risk the odd egg or cake but I am talking once a week max. I have a patch on my ankle thats been giving me problems that I have to keep an eye on. So I wear no socks in doors to allow air to get to it and keep it moisturised if it gets itchy. If it flairs up then its short socks when I run. I don't know if you wear make up up, but I have to say I can't see skin problems and makeup being good bedfellows. Also perfume and deodorant. I dont do aftershave and no one has ever mentioned I smell. Though one woman said i smelt of biscuits. Which was nice. No deodorant in the winter. Only the really strong stuff in Summer that you put on once or twice during the week at night and wash it off in the morning and thats you done for the week. As I said you have to keep it really really simple. It does mean you save a lot in the chemist and get to grow a fetching beard as shaving is a pain....
  • I was diagnosed when I was 25 years old. Now I run 2 hours per day 4 days a week and sweating was worsening my eczema condition. The treatment that helped me to control my eczema was fodermaa.
  • I think that the question is not in running, but in nutrition :/
  • Mine has improved with running thankfully