Event search

PeersPeers ✭✭✭
Probably been mentioned loads on here, but I can't find anything recent.  The event search on this site since the upgrade doesn't work at all.  I let it find my location, set a distance from home and click Search, but nothing happens.

Anyone else have the same?

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've used the search successfully but I never search by/near my location anyway, maybe use the other boxes to set your criteria?
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    Yes if you don't use the location it does work, but it's nice to be able to look at all races within 50km for example
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't use RW if I was looking for local races as many aren't listed on RW.   I rarely use RW events now anyway since we switched to the new website.
  • I always use giglist.com to search any events, live music or gigs in UK.
    Live Events UK
  • As an organiser, I'm struggling to get the site to recognise my event postcode. I've tried three nearby postcodes numerous times; in 20 attempts, it's accepted one of them once. (And then rejected it after I made a minor edit to something else.) If events don't have postcodes, then location search won't work.
    There seems to be a bit of a vogue for taking perfectly functional websites, and getting them rebuilt to look, feel, and operate worse than they did before.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother - the search function is complete pants.  I've just entered a search for future events in Scotland and the first race that comes up is the Thames Trot that took place 2 days ago.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've never used the search function by location as I'm interested in the distance of the event marathon or ultra and willing to travel!

But I hate the Event section on this website now so rarely use it.  And I wouldn't use the online race entry system that RW now use, I've heard rumours that your data isn't safe with Eventbrite. 
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are lots of races I am missing out on because there doesn't seem to be one or two locations where everybody submits their races to.  I don't mind travelling occasionally, but I prefer a race where I can drive within an hour on the morning of the race rather than having to pay for accommodation.  Findarace.com is alright and probably the best I have found so far, but sections of the site don't appear to be up-to-date and some old races show up.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Peers - if you're looking for races close to home the best race diaries are those on local running club websites as they usually choose to list only local races as they like to support local running clubs and local races.
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades.  I will take a look.  I have often thought about joining a local club, but fear my schedule would mean I would miss too many training sessions.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Peers - you don't have to go to training nights to be a member of a running club, folk just go when they can.   I never go to club training as I prefer to run early mornings but I've been a club member for 20 odd years.  It's still good to be in a club, especially at races and there's usually a good social side to the club too.
  • Hi @Peers, I'm one of the guys who has setup www.letsdothis.com. We are working desperately hard to ensure we have coverage of all UK races on our site. Would be great to get your thoughts and opinions on it and whether we are missing anything :)

Thanks
    N
    Creator of https://www.letsdothis.com - would love your feedback!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    neillock - I've just started looking at your website.  I've selected UK marathons but it's not in date order, it seems to be in batches of date order.

I'll have a good look later but it looks good.  

I have spotted one error, you have Yeovil marathon on 25th March, that's the half on that day.  Yeovil marathon is in June.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hi Neillock - I've searched your site for any races within 100km of Inverness and only get 14 events.  I know there are loads and loads more.  Do you need event organisers to add their races, or are you doing this yourself?  Can I send you a list of the ones I know?
  • Hi @Nessie that sounds fantastic. We are attacking with both event organisers and manual work so any resources you have that will be brilliant!
  • > @SHADES said:
    > neillock - I've just started looking at your website.  I've selected UK marathons but it's not in date order, it seems to be in batches of date order.
    >
    > I'll have a good look later but it looks good.  
    >
    > I have spotted one error, you have Yeovil marathon on 25th March, that's the half on that day.  Yeovil marathon is in June.

Fantastic - we are working on bringing the events you can 'easy/quick book' to the top of the site so these are currently prioritised :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    neillock - the events you want to highlight as being easy/quick book need to be shown in a different way to the others.  I look for a suitable event by date so for instance if I'm looking for a June race once I've gone past the initial races shown for June then I probably wouldn't carry on looking as I would assume that there are no more listed.  Maybe show the pictures for the races you want to highlight and a list format for the remainder of the races or they are shown with smaller pictures.

I don't like the generic pictures that you've used on some races, either a true picture from the event or just  the name of the event would be better.   Some pictures are of runners on a road and the race is trail and vice versa, this is misleading as we can't help but judge an event by a picture.   For instance, I'm involved in a small way with the organisation of the Women Can marathon and although you've shown a great pic of the Freedom to Run women it implies that the race is in a desert which might put off some entrants.

But I'm probably not typical of a runner looking for races, I believe most want to look for races in their locality.  My preference is for marathons and ultras and would search by date.
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    neillock said:
    Hi @Peers, I'm one of the guys who has setup www.letsdothis.com. We are working desperately hard to ensure we have coverage of all UK races on our site. Would be great to get your thoughts and opinions on it and whether we are missing anything :)

Thanks
    N
    Thanks Neil it looks great and I am able to see a lot more events local to me than others sites. Have bookmarked it for the future!
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Peers - you don't have to go to training nights to be a member of a running club, folk just go when they can.   I never go to club training as I prefer to run early mornings but I've been a club member for 20 odd years.  It's still good to be in a club, especially at races and there's usually a good social side to the club too.
    I think I will go along and join soon.  There is a club local to me that train on a running track.  I wouldn't want to train more than once a week on a track, but its nice to have use of one for some training.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Peers - that's great news that you're going to try out your local running club.   If you do speed sessions they are always easier to do in a group.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've sent you a list Neillock.
  • got it nessie! will be trying to get some of these online. AMAZING stuff
  • Very helpful thread...
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    it annoys me that if i'm looking for an event on the 30th of the month I have to scroll through the whole month (unless I;m doing something wrong of course)
  • Thanks for the feedback - you can filter by date to allow you to search a specific day but obviously that isn't clear... :)
  • Thanks for sharing and any events this site topvoucherscode.ukit.me/events-discount-code
    https://tvcdiscountcodes.wixsite.com/topvoucherscode/365-tickets-discount-code
  • For everyone who is looking for a running event — https://sportnomad.net/>; @Peers said:
    > I'm sure there are lots of races I am missing out on because there doesn't seem to be one or two locations where everybody submits their races to.

https://sportnomad.net/ is easy to find/submit a race. It think it's more usable than ahotu.com. Also, you could look for event on runsignup, but there's no calendar system
    <iframe height='454' width='300' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/athletes/2146088/latest-rides/2d71f42475017af06c1303352d135dcd4026aab0'></iframe>
  • Can I ask, if it was somewhere out of the way, is it worth putting on a 5k event? will many people bother to show? - im only thinking as it only takes an average of 40 minutes or so to run.... should we look at longer if we want to organise one?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    5k is a very popular distance.   But the problem is that you compete with parkrun, although they are not races they are free 5k events on every week, so some runners will question why pay for a 5k event when they can run a parkrun for free.  

Maybe a 5 mile or a 10k might appeal more.