Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,

WtnMel, hope you and Margaret have a lovely holiday in October.
    How's your foot today?

Aquarius, good to hear from you again.
    Understandingly that you are feeling frustrated that your team didn't count in the relay results. Your average pace of 9.17 miling is very impressive. I'm still some way off that sort of standard.
    Sorry to hear about your painful knees (seems to be catching) and hope they didn't cause a problem at your 5k.

Red, I'm very impressed that you ran the marathon distance for a training run, especially in the dark, with a headtorch. Good luck with your marathon at the weekend, and also with your tapering. I have a feeling that this will be more difficult for you than successive marathons/ultras. Perhaps you will do stationary cycling to burn off your energy :o, or more likely, energetic digging and gardening :#

Yesterday was my first proper road run since June, and I ran 5.7 miles. It felt strange wearing road trainers again, and of course, the hard road underfoot. I was rather apprehensive, as I thought it might cause more problems with my knees, but thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case.
    This morning was a spin session, which went really well.

• Options
    Hello all, apologies for my absence, I have been sulking☹ After falling and hurting my coccyx during Snowdonia marathon in October, I have barely been able to run. 
    Have started to try and get back out there but have sore achilles and hip! I think age is catching up with me but miss running a lot?I will not give up without a fight?
  • Options
    Exhausted - congrats on 2nd grandchild. Two will definitely make you exhausted (we have a 2nd one arriving in a few months).
    The flu has visited this house as well. Stopped me running for nearly 3 weeks. Managed one exhausted 5km that wiped me out. Then another 6 days later that felt hard work - but according to Strava that was a PB for 5Km so go figure that one out. I'm still so slow compare to when I used to run barefoot halves (well, I was in my early 30's then).
  • Options
    glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, i have now changed my name on Fetch to the same as on here, to make it easier, had a quick glance, very impressed with the WAVAs i must say, well done everyone.  I now need to input everything into the fetch, it looks like it is not supported by if it which is a shame, then my training would input easily.  never mind i will have to remember to do it manually plus do a profile.

Mad welshwoman - shame about your coccyx this can be very painful, i done the same about 8 years ago on an ice rink, have not gone on one since, i then two weeks after had a disc herniation, probably a result of the fall.  

HS - well done on your first run since injury, the road can be hard underfoot, but with your spin sessions i am sure you will be bouncing back soon.

Redhead - 25 miles in the dark, goodness that takes courage, i am pleased it is creeping a little bit lighter now, roll on spring.

WtnMel - Maderia sounds lovely, mind you anywhere is nice away from this cold weather right now.  Im sure it will be wonderful.  iI am waiting to book my holidays, but until i get my training date for my new job i cannot plan anything.

Damien - Well done, easy does it little acorns!

I have a very sore throat now, which was evident in my hill runs today, just about done them all, but not great form, i almost  didn't go out the door, then decided to just get on with it, i have juggled them about a bit, my plan states Friday as hill session, but i find it quite tiring to then do my long run on Saturday, so at least this way i get a rest day before the long run.  

I have been getting on ok in my long ones and i am still doing 16 miles,  but will need to taper in a couple of weeks, so i am not sure in the week before my Half what distance i should do for my long one, i don't want to loose fitness, however i don't want to compromise my half marathon.  

Well another icy blast is coming down the country, so wrap up warm everyone, and mind the ice.  

• Options
    Glo2, if I see any more snow and ice I think I will have a tantrum! We've only just got rid of two weeks of it. I hope your sore throat gets better soon.

Likewise mrcharly, there seems to be a lot of flu around at the moment.

Sorry to hear you are in the wars too MadWelshWoman, don't overdo it and make things worse.

HS It's surprising how hard the surface seems when you return to road running after a spell away from it. I hope you have no ill effects from your run.

Red, running a marathon distance in the dark? Weren't you a bit nervous going all that way in the dark (and on a Saturday night). You mentioned a muddy field - was all your running off road? 

Our club GP on Tuesday was a bit chilly but dry fortunately. Part of the course has been changed which meant we had a section or two that was completely in the dark, but lots of people turned out to marshal and they all had torches so we managed, but it was a bit spooky. Average run from me, three and a half miles, averaging 9m 39s, not great but it'll do. We have another one in a fortnight so I'll have to get some practice in before then (if the snow keeps away). Did a fartlek session today, 5 miles, just fancied doing something different. Warmed up and cooled down for first and last mile at an easy pace and included a dozen fast bursts averaging around 7m 40s per 150 meters (approx), inbetween I either jogged or walked. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Aquarius - how frustrating re your team not counting in those race results. 9:17mm pace is fast from my point of view. Hope the knee pain was a short-term thing. Unfortunately, the Madeira holiday may not happen (see below). The foot pain has now gone away - it was under the foot - just behind the toes like you experienced - and I'm convinced it was purely due to not enough cushioning because I had the wrong (not padded) socks on when I was playing golf.

Red - good to see you popping by .. hope 'life' slows down a bit for you. Well done re the marathon distance in the dark (and coping with the slipping & sliding on the muddy bits).

HS - as you'll have read (and will read below), the foot is now better but the holiday may not happen. Glad to hear the 5.7ml road run didn't cause any problems with your knees.

MWW - have already said 'welcome back' on Fetch but will repeat myself on here. Was sorry to find out you injured yourself at the Snowdonia Marathon. But glad to see you've not given up on running just yet.

MrCharly - sorry to hear you've had flu. So far (touches nearby wood) I've not succumbed to it. I'm trusting that's as a result of having my flu jab. I've had runs like that one you mentioned - it feels hard and Strava says well done on a PB. As you say, figure that one out.

Glo2 - I saw you had made me a buddy on Fetch and have returned the compliment. What format is your training in? (spreadsheet, FIT files, something else?). A quick search in Fetch help brought up quite a few forum posts about this subject so its worth checking what's possible to save yourself some manual inputting. Sorry to hear about the sore throat but well done re the 16ml training run (11mls further than I can manage right now!).

They had a county cross-country race in my local park at the weekend - I saw some footage and noted they made them run through the stream I always cross using the bridge! :)

Grrr .. I may have to cancel our Madeira holiday (minor medical problem that my partner Margaret has) and it turns out package holidays aren't covered by the distance selling regulations. So there's no 7-day cooling-off period and when I suggested we might need to cancel the company in question pointed that fact out. I wasn't aware that was the case and it's worth knowing which is why I'm posting about it here. So if we end up cancelling (we have until 13th Jul to decide) I'll lose my deposit (quite a large amount) and with no travel insurance in place, it's a potentially costly mistake on my part. And needless to say, the company in question are being completely inflexible, shrugging their shoulders and pointing me towards the terms & conditions. I had hoped as it was within 36 hours of booking that I raised the question of cancelling they might be more helpful but so far they show no signs of wanting to help in any way. So be aware when paying large amounts of money as a deposit in case you find yourself in a similar situation. 
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but very cold. Today is a rest day.

MWW, welcome back to this thread. We have "spoken" on fetch and say again that I am sorry to hear of all your injuries. I'm glad though that you are not giving up on running, as it is obviously an important part of your life.

MrCharley, sorry to hear that you have been suffering with the flu, which must have been very severe to have lasted for 3 weeks. Very strange to run a 5k pb so soon after a debilitating illness.

Glo2, I input all my training and races manually on fetch. It did take a very long time inputting all my race results, which stretched right back to the 70's. I had recorded all my results in a log book, and transferred them one by one, ticking them off as I went.
    That road run wasn't my first run since my injury, but the first on road. I have been running, albeit rather slowly in the forest, for several months now.
    Sorry to hear that you have a sore throat. It is always a difficult decision as whether or not to run. As to what distance your long run should be the week before your half marathon, I will be running 10 miles in the forest this weekend, as I have the Oakhaven Half Marathon Sunday week.

Aquarius, thankfully I didn't have any after effects from my road run, but found it very different after so many weeks running off road.
    Sounds like your training/racing is going very well, and you are achieving a very good average pace.

WtnMel, glad to hear that your foot pain has now gone away, but very sorry that you may have  to cancel your holiday, and lose your deposit. The t & c's are usually in small sprint deliberately, in the hope that customers won't read them.

I ran 8.1 miles in the forest yesterday morning, and it was freezing. The forest is drying out, leaving hard, craters of mud from where the ponies had left their imprints. This is actually more tricky than when it is wet and squelchy, as it is easier to twist an ankle and fall.My outward leg was good, with two miles being at sub 10 pace, but the return was into the very strong, biting wind, which slowed me right down. It felt as if I was running, dragging a heavy tyre behind me.
  • Options
    Red. Most impressed you ran a whole marathon with a headtorch. Mr Exhausted bought me a head torch as a present so I could go out in the garden at night and hunt snails and get rid of them. (He's romantic that way). I find it really uncomfortable to wear even for a few minutes. 

WtnMel: Grim about the holiday. 

MadWelshwoman. Injured my coccyx in a car accident about 35 years ago. I'd almost forgotten about it until you mentioned the pain. It is painful! Those of you suffering illness and setbacks are very courageous about fighting back, Hillstrider and Mr Charly included. 

I ran a quick 6 miles yesterday. First time since flu. 
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright, sunny and very cold. According to my weather app. the temperature "feels like minus 4"

Exhausted, good news that you have had your first run since recovering from the flu.

I'm intending to run 10 miles in the forest this morning. Whether or not I go that far depends on how chilled I get. I'm going to walk to the shops to "test the waters" first and then decide whether  it is too cold for shorts, and that I will wear tracksters instead.
  • Options
    Morning all

HS - good luck with your 10 miler this morning, can't brlieve you are contemplating shorts :o:o

WtnMel- sory to hear about the holiday, hope you get something sorted

Exhsusted- well done on your run after having flu

I ventured out over the cliff tops and onto the beach this morning.  Only covered about 4 miles and walked half of that, particularly the sand dunes! Will see how my achilles behave for the rest of the day!

• Options
    WtnMel - damn travel agents! They really do themselves' no favours with attitudes like that. A sensible company would know that if they treated you fairly, you'd be back with more business.

My recovery wasn't quite a quick as it might have seemed - I did a run one week after the flu that was really slow and hard work, then a week later did a run that was a PB. Those were the only runs in a fortnight and only 5km runs so not exactly taxing.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    HS - yep, even as an avid reader of 'small print' (much to the annoyance of various sales people over the years) I messed up on this one. The only glimmer of hope is that when I mentioned Margaret's minor medical issue as the reason for possibly cancelling the holiday, the companies stance has changed from "you'll lose your deposit" to "send us a medical certificate and we'll see what we can do". Well done re yesterday's 8ml forest run - I guess fighting the headwind may have some positive effects but it doesn't make it any easier. Good luck with your planned 10 miler.

Exhausted - my headtorch (the one I've 'mislaid' and am still searching for) fits into a woolly hat so is more comfortable to wear than one with an elasticated strap. With it being lost (ie misfiled) it's lucky I haven't needed it! ;) Congrats on managing your post-flu 6ml run

MWW - I'm still wearing my tracksters but some of my clubmates (male & female) have been running in shorts and t-shirts already (I still seem to be needing several layers). Hope your achilles is okay after this morning's 4ml run.

I went out for a run earlier and did a 4ml loop around town. I'm happy to report there was no foot pain during the run and so far, I've not noticed any post-run aches & pains. Hopefully all will still be well tomorrow and I can think about getting back to training after my enforced 2 week layoff.

Edited to add that writing about mislaying things reminded me .. I've joined my local U3A group and they have a new petanque (boules) group beginning in March. I have a set of boules and I know I didn't throw them out when we moved. But do you suppose I can remember where I put them when we moved in?
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but already turning colder. Today is a rest day.

MWW, thanks. I did run 10 miles in my shorts in the forest yesterday morning. Hope your Achilles are feeling better today.

Mrcharley, it is sensible not to run too much after the flu, as the body's resistance is still low.

WtnMel, I spent most of my career in procurement, so contract terms and conditions were an essential part of my work. Having said that, reading others terms and conditions these days is a pain in the proverbial.
    Keeping fingers crossed that there is a possibility that you might get your deposit back.
    Good news that your aches and pains seem to have cleared up.
    Hope you can find your set of boules. I imaging looking in the garage would be the obvious place to look, but you have probably already looked there.
  • Options
    glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, nice and bright today.  I managed a 16 mile run yesterday although a bit slower, coming back in a headwind, just couldn't seem to warm up once home so opted for a nice hot bath rather than shower, to warm me,  was feeling rather pleased my sore throat had gone and was feeling smug, thinking my immune system has dealt with it, only to find a lovely cold this morning with a dull head, so now i have to decide on this weeks training, don't want to miss out so maybe i will take it day by day.

Wtn - i haven't been back on site yet, but i have a fitbit watch also use fantastic on the iPhone as a back up and because i like to hear my mileage in my ear, so maybe i could get the files of this?  I do hope you get a good outcome re the holiday, and after seeing the latter post perhaps they have seen the err of their ways.

HS - I will get round to putting my races in shouldn't take long as it was only 5yrs back unlike yours.  i think i might go for 11miles the week before then, i have 11 weeks after that one until the next one so i can get back into longer ones.  The reason i am worrying is because i was so sure i could never get past 13 and now i have gradually increased that to 16 i don't want to go back to where i cannot do it again, although i have no marathon planned, in my head i am thinking maybe i could do one eventually if i knew i could handle the mileage, everybody seem to handle mileage well, and  I know it is the mental side of it, but my legs just get so tired, I am not sure how to deal with this,  i do take  a gel round about 11/12 miles so not sure if it is just lake of glycogen in my legs or lactic acid, or a little devil on my shoulder!

Mrcharly - hopefully you will be back to normal too.

Exhausted- i have a real lovely light from decathlon. Very impressed and i am often asked details about it  during my runs,
                                                                                                                               From £29.99 2 COLOUR KALENJI Run Light 250 Running Light - Black (289)                                                                       

Well happy Sunday everyone, and lets brace ourselves....

• Options
    Morning all,

Another bright and sunny morning, but the start of what will be a very cold and probably snowy week.

Glo2, well done on your 16 mile run, but sorry to hear that you now have a cold.
    I'm sure that you will be able to run a marathon in the future. The fact that you have already managed to get up to 16, shows that you have got the necessary endurance, and it is just a matter of gradually increasing the weekly mileage for 3 weeks, and then reducing the 4th week. Most marathon training programmes are for 12 weeks, but 16 weeks is even better. Weekly mileage shouldn't be increased by more than 10%. 
    You are right that the mental attitude has an important part to  play in marathon training and racing. One side of the brain is telling you to slow down, you can't make it etc. and the other side is telling you not to listen, and that you are running really well and can do it.
  • Options
    Afternoon peeps,

Sorry I haven't posted. Just soooo busy with pre Challenge stuff/writing lists/accumulating bits and bobs/Press Release oh and an extra marathon thrown in yesterday to calm the nerves (as you do!). Blimey it was cold and windy and I stretched my legs for 26.2 miles at the Mods v Rockers marathon (I was an aged Rock Chick) whilst testing out my ultra pacing in the 2nd half to finish in 5:23:23.

TE, you are quite right in that tapering is going to drive me mad!!!!! I may actually have to resort to Housework  :s

WtnMel sorry to hear about your trip to Madeira and hope Margaret is OK xxx

Aquarius, it was very dark and very muddy in places which slowed everyone down somewhat. It's on the same route I'll be taking in less than 2 weeks time (Gulp!).

Exhausted, ROFLMAO at you with your headtorch and scissors!!! Took me right back to when we bought our first flat and I'd go out into the garden with my torch at night to deal with the blighters. I'm using a headtorch and handheld torch combo as I too don't like it on my head for too long. I don't like the really bright lights as my eyes are very sensitive to it since I had my last treatment.

Right, where's my duster.........
  • Options
    Red, how on earth do you fit so much in to your life ? I'm definitely going wrong somewhere..........I agree about the head torch though, I've detached mine from it's head strap and just hold it in my hand when I'm running. It just doesn't seem secure enough on my head, plus I worry about it dazzling oncoming cars, at least when I hold it I can direct the beam away from them.

Glo2, sorry to hear that cold is still hanging around, but well done on your 16 mile run. I've never run that far before (and doubt if I could to be honest) I find a half marathon boring enough and even if my legs could manage a longer distance I don't think my mind could!

WtnMel, what a sickener about your holiday, have you managed to sort anything out yet? Could Margaret's medical procedure be rearranged for a different date?

I managed to fit in a brisk 6 miles yesterday, thought I'd better in view of the forecast. Then woke up this morning to snow, so don't know when I'll be able to get out again. Our last XC is on Saturday and we are all being encouraged to turn out to ensure the club stay in the top league again next year, but the fixture is up in Northumberland - and if the weather is as bad as they say it will be the roads may not be open. Does anyone know how to do a sun dance (like a rain dance but with a better outcome)?
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny again, freezing cold, but no snow yet.

Red, great respect running a marathon "for fun," in freezing conditions. I had to smile with you running as an aged Rock Chick, and immediately thought Suzie Quatro  B) Were there bands round the course playing sixties music? I was actually in Brighton when there was that mods and rockers battle, but I didn't take part in the action. I was a mod then, but these days I am an aged rocker, with my love of heavy metal and symphonic rock.
    Housework is good cross training, especially, if like me, you have an ancient upright hoover.

Aquarius, hope the snow isn't too bad, and won't prevent you from partaking in your cross country race on Saturday.
    I'm afraid I don't know how to do a sun dance, and these days am a typical Dad Dancer. I did have ballroom dancing lessons when I was a teenager, but am afraid that I have forgotten all the steps now.

Had an excellent spin session this morning, with our instructor fresh from a training course. She concentrated on hill work, including a continuous 21 minute hill varying the pace, to push up to 75% of maximum heart rate for a certain time, slowing for a very short time, and then up again. A form of fartlek training. 
  • Options
    In a strange way your knee injury has brought you an unexpected benefit HS - you would probably have never thought to take up spin classes if you hadn't been sidelined from running by injury. Every cloud has a silver lining they say..........

Trying to find the silver lining to this weather, woke up to thick snow this morning. My eldest son who lives just outside Durham managed to get about 20 yds this morning in his car then had to give up due to heavy snow. A bus almost crashed into him! We had a delivery of wood from B&Q scheduled for this morning, they got to the bottom of our road and got stuck. They ended up carrying the wood (4.8metre lengths) by hand to our house. They weren't happy.
    The forecast is for the weather to get worse for the rest of the week, so not holding out much hope for any running for the foreseeable future :(   
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Well we've got snow and it's still coming down although the sun has peeped out in the last few minutes. The sheep are up to their knees in it but don't seem bothered at all. Glad I'm not running! It's very pretty but I hope it goes away soon - I don't think I'll get my wish though.

Aquarius, well done on your 6 miles yesterday but I'm not hopeful for your club run at the weekend as the forecast is for it to get worse.

TE, sadly no bands as very low key. Fun though. You've really taken to your spinning haven't you and I'll bet that's going to help your running too.
  • Options
    glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone, just a quick dip in - snow arrived in Essex today although seems to be melting as soon as it lands, have not run now for two day due to my cold, but good timing really i suppose if you have to take a couple of enforced rest days  then this is the week to do it.  will probably do a bit on the treadmill tomorrow, would like to try today to be honest but i don't want to put myself back so i am trying to resist. 

Well everyone keep your spirits up,  and roll on spring!!

Happy training everyone
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny and remnants of yesterdays short snow flurry still laying.

Aquarius, I agree with you that I would never have contemplated spin classes, if I hadn't incurred my injury. I have definitely benefited from them, and intend continuing, even if/when I'm injury free.
    Sounds like you are having a bad time with the weather. Your eldest son had a very lucky escape. It hasn't snowed again yet today, but is forecast for Thursday and Friday.

Red, you are also suffering with the weather, so it seems we have been lucky in Hampshire, so far.
    A pity that there were no bands to help you round the Mods and Rockers marathon.
    Yes, I'm really into spinning now. The instructors have been on training courses, so they are "fired up!" I'm really feeling the benefits, which should transfer to my running.

Glo2, hope your cold soon clears up, but with the snow, is a "good time to have it."

Had a good spin session this morning, and we did a mixture of hill and flat sprints.
    I received an email this morning from the organisers of Sundays Oakhaven Half Marathon, and it is still on at the moment, but with the weather forecast for Thursday and Friday being for heavy snow, will consider the possibility of the race being cancelled. They will advise as appropriate. 
  • Options
    Not really running weather here, but the walk to the shops was quite a good workout!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - not looked for those boules in the garage yet but I have a hunch they may be in the loft (expecting to be proved wrong though). Well done re yesterday's spin session - sounds like excellent training.

Glo2 - well done re Sat's 16ml run. I'm a shower person myself but the bath is always there to soak in if needed (does anyone else remember Radox?). Hope that post-run cold is (was?) a short-lived thing.

Red - "extra marathon thrown in .. like you do" .. well, like YOU do anyway. Margaret is fine (the medical problem is a minor one). 

Aquarius - my led torch (the one I have somewhere but am still searching for) fits into my woolly hat. But I've been considering drilling a hole on one side so I can fit a lanyard as I often hold it in my hand when out running. Nothing sorted re the holiday yet and we have until Jul to cancel (it's more a case of getting the procedure done then we'll know if we can get travel insurance and continue with the holiday). Hope the snow doesn't get too bad (judging by the forecasts though, a vain hope). I believe the guaranteed way to get the best results from a sun dance is to strip naked and make snow angels on the back lawn - but I may be fibbing ;)

I went to my first U3A (Uni of 3rd Age) meeting yesterday and the trip to town was worth it. Played bowls after lunch and around 4pm decided to go for a run. Between deciding to run and getting changed and out of the door, the weather had turned from sunny to overcast. Five minutes in and I was running in a blizzard. I almost headed back home but then the snow stopped and the rest of the run was uneventful. I noticed on FB that tomorrow morning's club run has already been cancelled - I'll probably run on my treadmill instead (and if I get really cold out in the garage I can always put my sauna on to warm up again).
  • Options
    Morning all,

The snow has finally arrived here, and with a vengeance. It snowed hard during the night, but has stopped momentarily. We have a yellow warning, with a possible blizzard on Friday. I'm fairly sure that Sundays's half marathon will be cancelled, but fingers crossed.

Aquarius, I find walking to and from the local supermarket is helpful for fitness, especially if carrying a heavy shopping bag in each hand.

WtnMel, you are quite an all rounder, with bowls, boule, running, walking and presumably skinny dipping!

Our running clubs' evening session has been cancelled due to the adverse conditions, and this is the first time since I joined in January 2012. I was intending to run this morning, but won't risk it, as a fall could mean the end of my long running career  :D:s:o
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Brrrrrrrrr, Emma's having a good blast at us this morning! We've been watching snow devils swirling up the field. The sheep don't seem to mind it though. No running, too dangerous out there.

Stay safe and warm everyone.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - some light snow overnight and this morning, but we're still waiting for the really heavy stuff to arrive here (Gloucs). This morning's club run was cancelled (wise move in my opinion). The last time I walked with two heavy shopping bags I b******d my rotator cuff (shoulder) so have learnt to avoid doing that. I think I'd get bored if I just did the one thing (my friend plays golf several times a week for instance but does nothing else). Ummm, yes you've listed my current interests but the skinny-dipping is confined to my local pool twice a month until it gets warmer! ;)

Red - we've been watching the snow swirling around the back lawn .. not planning to go anywhere and will stay tucked up warm indoors. Certainly not planning any running except on my treadmill in the garage - apparently some hardcore (nutty?) members of my club did a 5ml off-road run yesterday evening .. rather them than me!
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    As usual, you've all done heroic things despite weather, injuries and ailments.

I started a new job on Monday. Today, I ended up having to work from home. I haven't seen such deep snow in years. It looks like I'll have to work from home tomorrow as well.  

All the talk of Mods and Rockers. The Beast from the East really sounds like a heavy metal number.
  • Options
    mrcharlymrcharly ✭✭✭
    I'm envious of those of you who have hills. Just been offered a peach of a job - in Cambridge. So soon I'll be considering York as 'hilly'!
    Managed 7km in the snow - there was up to 8" on the Knavesmire, I felt like a hobbit, toiling up the mountain pass. It's certainly hard work running the snow, but better than ice.

Run safe out there, people.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Still blimming cold and windy but no more snow yet. Last time we had really deep snow was 2010 and then sheep had to bury their heads into it to get at the grass (it was about 18" deep in places). This time we seem to have been on the cuso of it all as a few miles away I keep seeing photos of cars stuck on hills etc etc. It need to 'do one' please 'cos I've got a little run to do next week!!!

WtnMel, you are very sensible to use the treddy in this weather. I once had to do a 20 miler on it, which was tedious, but I had lots of music and a talking book to distract me.

Exhausted congrats on the new job.

Mrcharly, well done on braving the elements. Cambridge is beautiful but oh so flat. Good luck with your new job.

Keep warm and stay safe everyone.