Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - there is going to be a 1/2 on Goodwood motor racing cct in Oct, if it's a still day then it would be a fast course, good surface and no tight corners, but boring though as probably about 5 laps.

Stu - good one on the long run, 4 more of them will do you good. I' cramming a bit as I missed miles earlier in month. I'e usually had swim and bike too, so run only is a shock, and my legs are certainly letting me know.
  • With two months to go before the big event at The Red Lion, I thought I had better do some training worthy  of a post.  I started with an easy warm up one, followed by 3 swift ones then finished off with 4 hard ones... the next day I was suffering though. My days of heavy drinking are nearly behind me. Just got to get through next week's 50th birthday celebrations  then I hope to join the V50 sub 3 club in April.

Training just about going ok. My last marathon was Abingdon  where I ended up with 3:00:03. Lovely palindromic time but still a bit annoying.

I will try and post a bit more over next few months.  Looks like lots of training going on.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    That Monty P sketch was filmed at Teddington lock on the Thames.  I run past it several times a week, and I always think of that sketch. Not sure it stands the test of time, by amusingly silly still.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta TR & CD, have a very vague "should I do another spring half", but chances are I'll settle for the Maidenhead 10 instead, and enjoy the 12 stage relays, before shifting down (or should I say up!) to shorter stuff. There's a few good halfs in the autumn for a crack or 2 then I think.

Will pop back off to the other thread now :)

• Spot on DanA, remember the Lock from the Richmond to Kingston river path.
    TiTo - C'mon join the V50 sub3 club - the waters lovely and it means more!
    TR - Impressive, keep it going. Winter miles, April 22 smiles. 
    UDS - Well done on the 22 miler - I bet you will be snaffling everything tomorrow.  With you on using the bike as low intensity training. 
    Didn't fancy a 13m timetrial this morning so opted for something new for me. 1m wu, 4m fast (23.45 - never seen 23 anything for a 4 mile run before) 2m rec, 2mf into headwind (12.47) 1m rec 1mf into headwind (6.19) and 2m wd.  So starting to countdown to Barca now.  Weight at nearly an all-time marathon running low (10 st 6)..

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    UDS - that trainer sounds perfect. I have my road bike set up on a roller in the shed but I can't bare to use it. I know I should but I get bored real quick. 

TR - meant to say thanks for info re paces for that session. Sounds a good one for sure and breaks thinks up a bit. Yeah no NF10 this year which is a shame, love that course/event. Interesting on the NF mara front too. That was my first, hated it, bombed massively as didn't have a clue. Would be good to exorcise those demons. 

TickTock - with you on the heavy sessions. Trouble is with me I like to think I still can compete at the highest level. Never works of course. Luckily those sessions are fewer and far between these days. 

Another 20 this morning, 13 minutes quicker than 3 weeks ago. Brings up 53 miles for the week. I think I'm heading in the right direction. 

Glad I have been cold weather training up North as todays run was Baltic when the wind crept in through the trees.

Heading back up North now, Mrs SJ at the wheel thankfully. My dad popped a couple of Old Thumpers in the boot which I think will be devoured this evening. 

Hope everyone else wrapped up warm today. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tick Tock - see you on the start line. Only 4 secs to find.

OO- good paces there esp the 4m, you' be looking at a fast 1/2 if you did one nowadays.

SJ - well done, it was indeed grim out today. Certainly no preparation for a warm spring day in April. I might join you with the old thumper.

20 hilly miles in 2:41 for me so excellent time on feet. 119 in the last 10 days, so a couple of easier days now.
  • Great to see progress like that SJ. I can confirm it was bitterly cold in the Midlands this morning.

You are getting some good training in TR. I'm disappointed I won't get to run with you at London this year. 
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - Indeed, but at least you won't beat me if you're not there.
  •  :) 
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Some good training going on. Not long to go now OO - Barcelona is such a good race, really jealous.

Put together a good weekend of training racing. 2.5 hours on the bike Saturday morning with 3x20 min hard big gear efforts, allowing myself a couple of hours recovery before pinning on a number for the national at Parliament Hill. It was never going to be anything other than a go and enjoy the day with the legs pretty battered, and I ended up running around with a mate having a decent catch up and soaking in the atmosphere.

Then had a 10km race in Victoria Park sunday morning, just about managed marathon pace (and that was a real effort) for 37:30 and 6th (not a big field at all). Decided it was a good tempo on tired legs.

The question I had was this. Several people got annoyed at me and my mate chatting away as we went around the national, as they found it 'annoying' and 'disrespectful'. Couple of them had a proper go at us mid-race. Obviously we were treating it as a training run and just wanting to enjoy it. Were we in the wrong? I found it all quite amusing.. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I was away last week, so I'm afraid I've just skimmed back a few pages. SOunds like there was some excellent racing at Wokingham and MK though, especially by SC2.

TT - sorry to hear about further health issues. Sounds like you're constantly trying to balance the nutrition and it must be really annoying.

JoeB - no, you were not in the wrong. If they were having a go at you they obviously weren't trying hard enough either...

TR - very impressive mileage you're racking up, I'm very interested to see what the result will be.

Had a nice holiday but as expected I didn't get a huge amount of running done, only about 36M last week. The only pace of note was a 55 min treadmill session with 3x10mins at 17kph, 17.5kph and 18kph which all felt fairly comfortable other than being drenched in sweat.

Luckily the morning before we went on holiday (18 February) I managed 20M as 5M easy (6:5x), 4M faster (24:10), 1M easy, 3M (17:30), 1M easy, 2M (11:25), 1M easy, 1M in 5:45 then 2M cooldown. It was all quite undulating so I was pretty pleased with that and it only really started to hurt towards the end of the 2M section and the last 1M hard.

I then realised a 7hr night flight later that day might not be pleasant given the likely cramp, especially as mini-Padams slept on my lap the whole way, but luckily my legs held out.

And still going on the press-up challenge - I'm definitely starting to find them easier but hopefully not putting on any upper body weight!

Another HM on Sunday, again very undulating but I've done it lots of times before so it's a good test to see where I am. If I can dip under 73 mins I'll be happy.

• Took Friday afternoon off so I've a bit of catching up to do... lots of excellent training going on all round I see.

TT -- I failed to commiserate last time, best of luck.

CD -- I think you've outdone me in terms of mind-numbing laps in a long run. Can't beat a convenient hitch-free loop when you're trying to set a pace though.

JB -- I think you successfully psyched out the opposition in the Nationals there! Great weekend of racing.

Ha TR yes I did a fair few miles on Thurs eve too, total of 26.4 for the day. But in my current pattern, Fri was very light (and I finished the week on only 81M this time) and Sat a complete rest. Then with my target Cambridge half this coming Sunday (snow allowing?), I opted for a shorter, sharper long run yesterday, aiming for 22M @ 7min/M (but not holding that when I realised I had quite a headwind at times on the way back). Traditionally I would have done more like 15M with some reps, but the Brass Monkey was oddly good the week after a 28M steady, so this was some kind of compromise. My legs are fine today but I elected to cycle my commute as part of my taper; but wearing XTalons in case I have to jog back with the bike through snow or something. If the snow comes, it will force me to run commutes that I would have cycled in taper week, but I can make them pretty minimal.
  • Haven't logged on here for years (had to reset the password) and then when you do it's pretty much Groundhog Day and you could be on any page from the last decade based on the contributors.  Happy days.

Highlight of my weekend was being blanked by Dan A when I was out walking near home.  None taken, son.

Anyway I'm finally back running of sorts and will be looking to better last year's 4:30 by a minute or three in London.

Quite literally...

As you were.
  • JB - Ridiculous isn't it! I'd be thinking I wish I could chat at that speed! It's like being shouted at warming down after a race when some of the slower runners are coming in (seen that before). Just calm down folk! I enjoyed it Saturday, cold and muddy, but not excessively so, 300th and 4th V45 I think.

Padams - what half is that? Good training too btw..

• Aha, seeing the CRAB crawl out from under his rock (good to see you back CRAB) has enticed me to post for the first time in as long despite being an ever-present lurker...

If anyone's interested in being bought up-to-date ("none taken" should you choose to ignore) then read on:

• Best year ever, 2:38 at VMLM and several nice race wins and PBs
    • For a beer in the Red Lion, I'll tell you my secret which I stupidly told my club mate and he's employed it to grab an England's vets vest at age 51.

• Lost my Champs start status after 2:46 at London due to being crap (and several loo stops :-/)
    • Dabbled in the world of the ultra with a 22hr 4th place in the Cotswold hundred which I loved
    2017 (Annus horribilis)
    • After a good start to the VLM campaign attempted a back flip on a trampolining trip with my kids, landed on my head and narrowly avoided a broken back
    • Pulled out of Bath Half / VLM and slowly recovered...
    • ...only to go down with Plantir Fasciitis for the rest of the year
    • Had enough of PF so decided to ignore it and resume training as normal.
    • Seems to be working so far and just had my first park run win (17:44) since the morning of the doomed backflip.
    • Have had to resort to charity places for the Bath Half and VMLM this year
    • To spice it up a bit I've registered for an attempt on the-fastest-wannabe-dressed-as-a-lifeguard-to-run-a-marathon-and-make-a-mockery-of-legitimate-record-holders. (2h55m to beat)
    Self-indulgence over, I will try and post a response to all you lovely people's recent exploits...
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Good to hear you're back on form Luke.
    Sounds like a tough 20M Padams.
    Wrexham HM as a 20M with 13.1@MP session for me on Sunday. Really happy with 1:28:05 averaging 150bpm for the 'race' effort on a breezy day. Brought me up to 87M for the week too.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SC2 - Berkhamsted, so another local one. Last year the standard was really low - I won in 75:xx by quite a distance. But usually there are a few people under 73ish, and I think I'd prefer to be dragged around and be beaten in a decent time than have a solo run in >75 again. Mind you, who knows what will happen with this weather.

LukeS - good to see you back. Didn't know about the back injury, sounds nasty!

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    The Wrexham Village Bakery half used to be one of my favourite half marathons.

You paid your £5 entry fee and at the end of the race you got a loaf of Bara Brith.  And a printed sheet of results if you hung around long enough at the end.  That was it.  No medal.  No tee-shirt.  No packets of chia seeds or Love Hearts.

And then a couple of years ago, they started giving medals to everyone, regardless of whether they finished in the first three or not.  That was okay I suppose - the public gets what the public wants as that old bloke with the stupid haircut once sang.  And then the price started rising - this year the entry fee was £18?  Still great value compared to many races it must be said.

But when the Bara Brith got replaced with a six pack of Welsh Cakes, the organisers lost the goodwill of this runner.  Bigly.

Nice running, Jooligan.  I finished in about the same time as you.  I was the guy with a green mohawk visibly shaking with rage as I stared at my packet of Welsh Cakes.
  • Good to see the mohawk still going strong Njord. Last spotted exiting the finishers area at Manchester '15 and a Pixies gig at the Apollo ! 

Any gigs lined up??
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Padams - no doubt you'll  smoke the 1.13. Big miles for me in the 2nd half of Feb, only 67 in the first half, should just scrape 200 for month. Hopefully a lot more in March.

Jools - good run that (if it was mara effort), how did it compare to wokingham?

CW - hopefully you will go well Sunday then. You are a binary runner for sure.

I agree with njord why do races like 1/2s and 10ks have medals for all, and team prizes, these are individual races? Surely most folks would simply have cheaper entry instead of these? Team races are xc, Relays ?

CRAB - Nice to see you, party at blackheads in April, bring a bottle!

Luke - the back injury sounds nasty.

7m easy for me today. Roll on spring !
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:

I agree with njord why do races like 1/2s and 10ks have medals for all, and team prizes, these are individual races? Surely most folks would simply have cheaper entry instead of these? Team races are xc, Relays ?

Sssh, I run for a decently competitive club in local stuff, and any chance to cash in some glory of a team prize i'm all over :)

Having run for years as a "soldier of fortune", I love being back part of a club scene again, and those sort of scenarios add to it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    LukeStur said:
    :

• Best year ever, 2:38 at VMLM and several nice race wins and PBs
    • For a beer in the Red Lion, I'll tell you my secret which I stupidly told my club mate and he's employed it to grab an England's vets vest at age 51.

As no-one else has...can I ask, is that "secret", either training very hard, or being very talented?

ps, what were you thinking as a quality runner messing about trampolining!? Hope 2018 is a good year for you

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The question I had was this. Several people got annoyed at me and my mate chatting away as we went around the national, as they found it 'annoying' and 'disrespectful'. Couple of them had a proper go at us mid-race. Obviously we were treating it as a training run and just wanting to enjoy it. Were we in the wrong? I found it all quite amusing.. 

One last quote job from me , before everyone gets cheesed off...

Clearly, some chaps who were smashing themselves for a meagre performance, didn't like that you and your pal cruised past chatting about Celebrity Big Brother, with a cigar on :)

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Njord: Remember passing your mohawk at about 1.5M. Presumably you went back past me while I had a pitstop just after 8M. Edit: Yep Strava Flyby appears to confirm that. You had a really strong finish too. £17 this year. Bara Brith would definitely have been better than Welsh Cakes but those were better than the crumpets later finishers received. Decent cash prizes for podium positions.
    TR: pretty similar. Quiet, though not closed, country lanes.
    Profile: slightly flatter but also climbed from 10M to finish but only 100ft & much steadier gradient.
    Field: finishers=1880, Pretty comparable standard (once Scott Overall is removed) at the front but not quite as deep - sub80 63 at Wrexham vs 107 at Wokey. A lot windier though.
    Much lower HR than Wokey & felt very relaxed until those final 3M when I increased the pace slightly in spite of the climb. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - I suppose you like the participation medals too?

Jools - I was interested that 1.28 yday as a MP effort (?) vs 1.24 at Wokingham full beans? Maybe you could have run quicker at wokingham? Difficult to assess as you never race fresh. Did you feel that yday was at mara effort? Or did you aim to run 1.28 regardless of the effort level.
  • TR: I'm sure with a proper taper I could've gone faster at Wokey. I was in control the whole way & aiming for 1:25 so kept throttling back. Yesterday's MP effort would've been 1:29:30 ideally however I rejoined the race post pit-stop to see the 1:30 pacer up ahead so picked the pace up a bit to get back in front then carried on at the slightly quicker pace then dropped to 6:30 for the final 1.1M. Based on feel it felt like my easiest HM ever.
    I've a few more races next month including a 20M on the 11th but then I'm not racing anything til VLM apart from a 5K on April 4th so should be fresh for London.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Jools - fair do's. The 20 could be a key indicator then. 20 at a constant pace (MP)?
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    saintjason - good to see you back in training, mate.  Funny you should ask about gigs, because I've got two tickets for The Breeders at the Manchester Ritz on Friday 13th July that I can't use (I'm running the Clyde Stride ultra at 9am the following morning).  Any use to you?  Don't want any money for them (and I don't actually have them in hand at the moment!).  Ping me a message if interested.  Fortunately, I'm still going to see them in Belfast as part of the 6Music Big Weekend (along with Public Service Broadcasting, Manic Street Preachers, Orbital, Beck).  Apart from that, there's Steven Wilson, Tears For Fears, Public Service Broadcasting, Otoboke Beaver, Belly, Half Man Half Biscuit, Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters and King Crimson.  Pop, punk, indie, prog and metal.  Something for everyone except CRAB.

Jooligan - the VB course is very slightly downhill from 5 miles to 10 mile.  You then pretty much turn back on yourself and the last 5K is slightly uphill.  Catches a lot of people out.  You were still running strong and must have reeled in quite a few.

TR - Yep, I don't much care for participation medals, but they matter enormously to some.  As long as they don't added at lot to the entry fee, I won't get too worked up about them.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    TR: Depends a bit on conditions come race day. It's a pan-flat course so probably aim to hold 6:40-6:45 but it is vulnerable to wind so aim will be to keep the effort level in line with yesterday's.
    Njord: went past loads of folk in that final 5K, great fun