Stamina

DMaxDMax ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

How do you all build stamina?

I feel that my things and calves tire quickly when out running and think I need to build stamina into them.

Any help on building the legs and/or the core would be very much appreciated.

I wish you all a very safe and injury free season ahead.

Thanks,
D.

Comments

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    So many things can help to improve your stamina, principally getting plenty of mileage done each week and having a good aerobic base (built up slowly so you don't overdo it too soon).

Your running economy also comes into it and that is a particular area I am trying to work on currently.  Cadence, stride length, oscillation etc.

Some strength work for legs and core would be definitely of benefit.  There's lots of guides and articles out there with various workouts for improving in this area.

I recommend vo2maxproductions on Youtube.  Plenty of informative videos looking at all aspects of running including stamina.
  • DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Thanks Peers, very much appreciated.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    DMax said:

I feel that my things and calves tire quickly when out running and think I need to build stamina into them.

my thing tends to go into hibernation when running.

but if you want to build stamina perhaps it is time to take matters in hand and start a regular exercise programme.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    All you need to do is run. Just get out there and run. Go for time or distance well within your current fitness abilities. And, here's the hardest part - run easy. Easy enough to chat comfortably to a friend or to be able to breathe through your nose. Give yourself a day or two of no running after each session; your body will only recover and adapt during recovery time. Every week or two you should easily be able to add time to your sessions, again, just enough stimulus for your body to adapt to, but not too much to break you down. Listen to your body. 

Good luck 
  • one simple formula is to try adding 10% distance to your running each week

it's a balancing act between running as far as you can, but not getting injured, I find having a rest day after a long run, and then an easy run the day after that is needed to ensure the legs don't break
  • DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, many thanks for taking the time to respond, I will try these things.