New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Morning all,

It's chaos in the South. The region has been more or less in lock down with the severe weather conditions. We are still on amber alert, and warned not to travel unless absolutely essential. The major motorways have been gridlocked all night, the A31 in the NF has been at a standstill all night, the A36 from Ower to Salisbury is gridlocked, Southampton has been chaotic with traffic unable to leave, a couple of trains broke down and passengers have been unable to leave for over 12 hours. I could go on, but other parts of the country are worse. We have been warned that the pavements are really hazardous and not to venture out on them. We have more snow forecast later, so I'm staying indoors. I don't need to go shopping, so won't.
    I can remember when I was a youngster, we had much worse weather, with snow laying on the ground for weeks. Yet, the schools never closed, buses and trains continued running, and life carried on. In the sixties, I was living in Surbiton and  commuted to Waterloo. The trains were the old slam doors and also some steam trains. They continued to run, and I can't recall ever not being able to get into work and back home.
    Apologies for the rant, but in this day and age, how can a couple of days snow, paralyse most of the country?

WtnMel, keep up the good work on the treadmill. We have been notified that the Leisure Centre is closed today, so I won't even be able to use the gym.

Exhausted, what a start to your new job, having to work from home the day after you started. The Beast from the East is a really heavy number. 666 The Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden.

MrCharley, best of luck with your new job in Cambridge. You'll soon be punting on the River Cam with the undergraduates :)  
    Well done running in the snow, I'm not risking it :/

Red, I hope you continue to avoid the worse of the weather conditions, and that they will be favourable for your "little run" next week.
  • The snow is belting down again?❄
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Oh crikey TE, you've got it really bad down your way. Those poor people stuck on the train overnight. I too had to walk to school in the snow and school never closed in bad weather. When I first moved down to London we had heavy snow and the trains were erratic so Mike and I walked the 6 miles to work only to find that people who lived within walking distance hadn't turned in. It never occured to us not to go to work!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Exhausted - interesting start to your new job with you WFH already. But I expect things will settle down soon.

MrCharly - well done running in the snow (rather you than me).

Red - I didn't get out to my garage and run on the treadmill - stayed indoors in the warm!

HS - I saw how bad the weather has been down your way. Rant accepted - it does seem the UK grinds to a halt with even a small amount of snow (but obviously some areas have been hit really hard this time).

I've done some cross-training this morning clearing snow from the drive and the front door (the wind had made it drift up against the door). We hadn't had much snow at all but the wind has been whipping up what had fallen into interesting shapes and high drifts.

Still not fancying going out into the garage to run on my treadmill - staying indoors again.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    How is one defined as a mature runner?

Technically I am an adult
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Mr.Charly. Cambridge extremely expensive. Congrats on the new job

To add to the reminiscing, the bad winter was 1962/63, I remember walking to school with the snow coming up to my knees (It was only round the corner, mind! - I'm not going to claim false heroics) I do remember this snow being on the ground for weeks, though. I also remember, like Red, a very bad winter 1978/79 in London and tramping through the snow. 1984/5 was a horrible winter and I remember pushing my Silver Cross pram through the snow for weeks, then. In fact, the whole year of 1985 was grim and sunless. 

The local farmer was out this morning clearing a path up and down the steep lanes. When it's deep and undisturbed, at least you can walk in it. All he has done is made a skating rink impassable to everyone unless you're in a tractor. 

Mr Exhausted and I both continued to work from home - eyeing each other up in case we ended up eating each other. I think I have the better deal. 
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Morning all,

This morning we have freezing fog and an ice rink for a lane and I will not be running outdoors or indoors! #lightweightoldbiddy  :D

WtnMel, you are very sensible - it's too cold in our garage as well!

Exhausted, hope you haven't eaten hubby. LOL at the tractor - our local farmers used to do that but they stopped after everyone complained.

Gobi, if you're 'Ultra Gobi' who's been around nearly as long as me then you must surely be qute ancient enough to join in here  <3
  • Since my last post I picked up a slight knee strain.I did a hard 1 hour cross trainer stint which went ok so tonight I did a full on 5k and that was great too.
    Bring on the the spring weather.
  • Morning all,

Bright and sunny, and at last the snow has started melting
    The Oakhaven Marathon has been cancelled on health and safety grounds, although as it is multi terrain, would have thought, it should have gone ahead. The main worry was probably that the forest roads might have still been treacherous, although I believe all the abandoned cars have now been recovered. I'm sulking now, as this would have been my first race since last June  :'(  I've decided, in the circumstances, not to run today, but to do a long run tomorrow, hopefully up to 16 miles.

Damien, be careful with that knee, because as you know, they are "flavour of the month" Seems ok though that you were able to work out on the cross trainer, and run a hard 5k

Gobi, I'm sure that I've seen you around, either on RW or fetch, and you are more than welcome to join our friendly band.

Best of luck to anyone running or racing today, and hoping that conditions are favourable.
    Our Leisure Centre has reopened today, having been closed for the last two days due to the inclement weather. I have booked spin sessions for Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • Hello all, not much running going on here, did a couple of short treadmill sessions in the week. Went out over the cliffs and up and down some sand dunes this morning, had to walk more than run, I'm afraid my Achilles are truly stuffed! Any advice welcome!

HS - sorry to hear your event was cancelled, enjoy your 16 miles tomorrow :) I had originally entered the Bath HM as my eldest daughter lives in Bath and was going to combine a visit. I pulled out of the HM due to injury but is was cancelled anyway. I didn't travel in the end as the roads have been so bad.

Gobi - I think I have seen you about on Fetch? Welcome:)

WtnMel - I would love to have a treadmill in my garage...no room unfortunately! Sensible to stay in the warm though.

Hope you all have a good day, at least it is warming up now!

• ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Mad Welshwoman. It's a good 15 years since I did my Achilles in, but an exercise I found useful for rebuilding the strength was to stand on the balls of my feet on alternate feet, and count to 30 i.e. go up on the balls of your foot on one foot, the other off the floor, count to 30, then rest, then repeat with the other foot (one foot, will, of course, be the injured one, the other not). Also, on the bottom stair, stand on the ball of your foot then lower the heel down so you can feel the Achilles stretch, count to 30, then repeat with the other foot. I did this several times a day and found it about the best exercise for rebuilding. Also, cycling, as you're exercising the Achilles, but not putting any weight on it. When I started to run again, I ran with one of those foot strap bandages, the ones that are shaped a bit like sandals. http://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy/medicines-treatments/first-aid/boots-sport-flexible-ankle-support-small-10214764  Something like this. 'Hope that helps. 
  • Hi all, we have not had such bad weather as reported for the UK but we did have one day with snow, was not a lot and soon vanished, but it has been extremely cold, hoping we have turned the corner now as today the car was showing 8c, so back into reasonable temps, the roads are dry but the sky is very grey looking. Sorry to hear all the bad dog stories, as a responsible owner myself it makes my blood boil. We have been really enjoying the athletics on TV and the cycling as well. Spent a lot of time on the phone last week with Telekom as we were suddenly unable to phone outside of Germany, a real nuisance as both John and I have family in England and John's youngest brother lives in France. John's knee is now ok and he is back running as well as spending a lot of time swimming. Time to pull together our respective training plans. Hope you are all having a lovely weekend and are keeping warm.
  • Morning all,

MWW, sorry to hear about your Achilles problem. Another stretch which I do, as well as that suggested by Exhausted, is to bend the front leg with the back leg straight, the heel pushing onto the floor.
    I don't think that I will run 16 this morning, but a more sensible 8 miles, having not run for over a week.

DBIW, good to hear that John's knee is now ok and he is able to run again.

Just off for a forest run now before it rains. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Gobi - I'm also 'technically' an adult but you wouldn't believe it sometimes.

Exhausted - my reminiscences of bad weather in the past include being made to run around the school fields in the snow - we got cold but the upside was sparkling clean white plimsolls by the time we had finished. Mrs WM and I share a small-ish study - she is actually doing proper work (fund-raising) so if I'm there too (chatting on RW!) I stay in my corner and keep quiet!

Red - now it's warmer I can run outside again so my treadmill is still unused.

Damien - sorry to hear about the knee strain.

HS - shame about the Oakhaven marathon being cancelled due to the weather. 

MWW - I heard on the news the Bath HM was also cancelled. After similar Achilles problems in the past I'd echo Exhausted's suggestions of standing on the balls of your feet and lowering your heels off the bottom step .. they both worked for me. Another stretch to use is where you stand leaning into the wall with a straight leg (calf stretch) - modify this slightly by bending the back leg too and you'll feel the base of the calf (soleus) being stretched. It's only a single garage I have but I've managed to cram in the treadmill and my 6' x 4' sauna through erecting shelving and using judicious stacking of items to make enough room on the floor. 

DBI - I tried watching the indoor athletics. I recorded Friday's coverage but there was just too much chat and analysis and I got fed up with continually having to fast-forward. So I didn't bother recording any more of it over the weekend. IMO the coverage goes on for far too long. The cycling coverage was a better balance - there was certainly some chat and analysis but it was not OTT like the athletics.

I've not run for a week (wimped out due to snow & cold wind). Planning to go out tomorrow and then again Thu (club run). I'm heading into town after lunch - my first time at the U3A computer group (I have volunteered to provide help and pass on any knowledge I have) and then this evening, back into Cheltenham to see Bill Bailey performing at the Town Hall (these were the tickets I had to buy in May last year!)
  • Sunshine at last! took the dogs out early and did some tracking practice with Charlie, I laid a trail of 300 paces with two small objects to find, Charlie found both with no problem and laid down to show he had found. For the tracking exam he has to find two objects no larger than 10cm long, 2-3 cm wide, 0.5 to 1 cm thick, made of material such as leather, textile or wood and of a colour that does not stand out from the ground. Today I used one wood and one textile. 
  • Today should be rest day so not planning to do too much, it is such nice weather though, I really feel like going for a run. That's my biggest problem, not taking enough down time. Maybe I will just go for a walk in the forest with the dogs.Tuesday evening is always club swim training,Wednesday is indoor training, Thursday and Saturday dog club training, Sunday morning swimming.
  • Forgot to say, I always do a long run home on Sunday mornings after swimming.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Just popped back to say ..

I ran 5mls this morning. Not at all fast - bit of a plod to be honest - but I did it, even if I did have to walk a few times (it always amazes me how quickly you can lose your 'running fitness'). 

I went to the U3A computer group yesterday and am now in touch with a lady having problems printing photos. I have been given details of a man who claims he gets 'interference' when starting Windows 10. I've not managed to speak to him yet so have no idea what exactly his problem might be.

Bill Bailey last night was great - we were chuckling right from the off and didn't stop all evening.
  • Morning all,

Ran 8.75 miles in the forest on Monday. It's returned to its previous wet, squelchy muddy state. Had good spin sessions yesterday and today. They've introduced HIIT work into the programmes which is very effective, and necessitates lots of use of the towel and swigs of water.

WtnMel, you are absolutely correct as to how quickly we lose our running fitness. I'm still working hard to regain mine.

The sun is shining, which is always the way on non running days.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning - sun shining here too and I'm also enjoying a rest day before tomorrow's club run.

HS - I'd be inclined to say if you are managing just under 9 miles in the forest with squelchy muddy patches you've probably regained your fitness. But that's just me because I'm struggling to get round 5mls on roads and paths at anything like the speed I was managing last year.

On a non-running note, I'm just back from seeing the U3A guy I mentioned who was having issues with messages being displayed when starting his laptop. One thing was a Skype update which was easily remedied by installing the update. The second thing was an add-on called 'Classic Shell' (supposed to make your Win 10 machine look like an old (classic) Windows machine). The software was authored by someone with a russian-sounding name, hence my worry it might be some nasty virus or malware. The chap didn't know where 'Classic Shell' had come from and didn't need it, so we just uninstalled it and his machine is now back to normal.
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    WtnMel. It sounds as if you're setting yourself up for a retirement consultancy career there. Let the money roll in!

5 miles!9 miles! Redhead miles! To my shame at the moment I'm walking, at most, a mile a day and sitting the rest of the day. I'm hoping when it gets a bit lighter I can build in a bit more activity on the way home. However, I have a 25 mile (rural, slow) journey each way.

I'll try and get out on Sunday morning for a run. 

Bionic Ironwolf: As always, you make me feel a slob (which I am!)

• Morning all,

WtnMel, I've regained my fitness, via spinning and gym, but, like you, am nowhere near my speed before my injury. I'm very gradually getting quicker, but it is taking much longer than expected. I suppose at my age, I'm just lucky to be running at all. I'm going for another forest run later this morning, which will be wet and muddy, and I suppose those sort of conditions are bound to slow down the average pace.
    I've heard of "classic shell," but have no idea what it is or does. Good news that uninstalling it did the trick. I think that you should be the webmaster for this website  :)

Exhausted, hope that you do get out for a run on Sunday. I'm sure that you will soon be back into regular running. You seem to be able to run at amazing pace, with very little training!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Exhausted - no money changed hands or ever will do. Purely a voluntary thing to help out other U3A'ers less familiar with using computers. Even walking a mile a day is better than sitting on your butt all day long and doing nothing. Hope you manage to get out on Sunday.

HS - it was a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment as I know you were much fitter before your injury .. it was prompted by me struggling to manage 5 miles without feeling like I was plodding (as opposed to 9). During today's run I was chatting to a clubmate and she reminded me we may be a bit slow but we're lucky to be running .. "at our age" :) 

For our club run our leader Claire had devised a new 5 ml route for us which ended (as they all do) not far from the Exmouth Arms which we all descend on afterwards for their "2 for 1" hot drinks.

I'm planning to run again on Saturday. I'll drive into Cheltenham and run from Pittville Park for a change as Margaret's son is coming for lunch so that will give them some space to chat and give me somewhere different to run instead of endless loops around Bishops Cleeve. Also, I'll need to run on Saturday as I am driving up to Tring (Herts) on Sunday to take my Mum out for a Mother's Day lunch.

I'm being taken out to the cinema this evening to see "The Shape Of Water" - all being well, the local chip shop will be open when we get back so we can have a "naughty but nice" supper.

• Morning all,

Today is a well needed rest day, having run/spun 4 consecutive days. I ran another 8 miler in the forest yesterday, but I was slower, as the forest was waterlogged in places, and there was lots of deep, squelchy mud.

WtnMel, it's always a good idea to end a run in a pub, whether for alcohol, or soft drinks. My club holds occasional evening forest runs with head torches, which finish at a pub. Some have portions of chips, the excuse being carbohydrate loading.
    Hope you have a nice day with your Mum on Mother's Day in Tring. Give my regards to Aylesbury if you drive through it.

The NME New Music Express is no longer being published, but will be available on line in future. I bought it for many years, and then "graduated" to the Melody Maker, which went out of business long ago.
  • noice noice
    [url=https://gogetdeals.co.uk/]Goget deals[/url]
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Morning all, well on my taper now, (nice sigh of relief) it was good to get out to do 11 miles unlike last Saturday, ended up on the treadmill for 13 miles, although i had music and  and I was able to programme my Coventry run in to it, it still seems a bit soul destroying, however i know i should be grateful that I have one.  Still battling the remnants of my cold which have left me with catarrh, hopefully be gone by next weeks half.  Noticed more dan chorus this morning and  lighter hooray! mind you i know that will change again soon when the clocks go forward, and so much milder this morning.

HS- probably for the best your Half was cancelled, such terrible weather and glad to hear you are back in the forest and your spinning has taken off big time, 4 days in a row! you will come back so much stronger.  

Wtm - I do remember radox,  to be honest I only use the bath once or twice a year, and that is when i can just soak in it to get warm, i prefer a shower, although i probably stay in there longer than neccessary, again just to warm up.   Well you must have done the Sun dance weather has improved no end.

Redhead - maybe we can all catch up with you now you have had an enforced rest  (I wish) due to the snow/ice.

Exhausted - good luck in your new job, a good start lol.

HS - I too can remember the days when snow was so deep and everywhere, and not a snow day in sight, and the thought of not getting to work was unheard of, not to mention no pay!
    although I am pleased i have not started my new job yet, the thought of driving on blue lights in the snow is not a good one especially with a patient in the back.  i did feel so sorry though for the staff that were having to work in it. 

Mrcharly - nice one,  a chance to get hill work in, i so hate hills, i am not sure that i ever improve really but next week will give me a chance to hopefully see improvement.

Have a good weekend everyone, and good safe runs.

• Morning all,

Glo2, it's always good to taper, although Red may not agree. Amazing to do 13 miles on a treadmill. I have never lasted more than about 10 minutes on one.
    Hope your cold clears up before your half marathon.
    I think that you are right that it was a good job my half marathon was cancelled. I think the roads in the forest on the way to the race would have still been treacherous with the snow.
    I remember Radox, but only shower these days, because I am too impatient waiting for the bath to fill, and then waiting for it to empty, which always seems to be very slow.
    Best of luck with your new job!

I ventured onto the roads yesterday, as the forest would have been even more inhospitable than on Thursday. It was only my second "proper" road run since June, and I ran 7 miles. I selected one of my hilliest routes as a challenge, and don't seem to have done any damage to my knees. I'm having a rest day today, and hope to be back in the forest again on Monday.
  • mrcharlymrcharly ✭✭✭
    I'm still struggling to find time for even one run a week. MrsC is recovering from her op and doesn't need me to be here all the time, but work demands a lot of time. Decided today I could get out for a quick 5-6km, but I'd take a new route, run out on the cycle path to the outer ring road.
    Well that seemed to be a long slog for a couple of km. When I got there, checked Strava, no wonder, it was 5km there. Shortest route home was the way I'd come, so my planned quick 5km turned into 10km. Oh well. 
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all, this weekend I was mostly running! 100 miles, BOOM  :D 
  • Wish I could still run long distance!  Think I must be mad, have just entered Charlie for the next higher level dog exam, he is good at most of it but does not always retrieve the dumbbell over the hurdle. If he does not, that will be 15 points deducted from his score, so he will have to perform perfectly in tracking and attack work to gain an overall pass mark. The exam is on Sunday so still have a few days to practice- what I don't get is he will jump the hurdle over and back on his own, add the dumbbell and he runs round instead of jumping. Oh well, we shall see. John is away this week so I have plenty of time. Swim training, running and indoor training continuing apace.