Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Lots of good running in here last few days, despite conditions.

Great training sub 40, Gul.

Nicko, shame on flight, hope you get away today. My mother in law had flight home from Spain cancelled yesterday. Next best flight is next Saturday. Luckily she is retired and it's her apartment so no real panic.

G dawg, I thought you had been flying? You've not mentioned your lurgy in a while so assume that's gone?

good long running, SBD.

OO, you did well to get a parkrun in.

Lorenzo, yes I saw Warwick cancelled. I assume you refer to it in a work capacity as one of your events?

So following Bath cancelling I decided to turn this into a decent week. Yesterday I hit the lanesfor 8 miles of fun. At 5 miles the road was impassable so had to turn back. On returning we found a Morrison's delivery run stuck half way up a hill. I'm not sure where he would have gone if he got over it as some of the drifts further on were only passable by tractor I would say. 

Family were away again from yesterday lunchtime so I got an early night and lie on so managed nearly 10 hours sleep. Drive a few routes this morning to check out snow and decided on a very boring but safe route. Road shoes felt luxurious after a few days of trail shows. 20 miles at 7.39mm average was good and gives me 53 for week. 

SBD, I've been playing with my options. I have Ashby 20 on 18th and have decided in context of the end goal that is a more important run than satisfying my ego with a fast half. However I've got a bonus 20 in today. I'm looking at weekend of 25th March now. Liverpool is the best option, unless Newport rearrange to this date. Anyone run Liverpool?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry been AWOL.  Niggle in left foot I've been trying to shift.  So have amended race list.  Quick read back shows excellent running at the Nationals XC and great efforts despite the Beast From The East.  More of the same everyone!

Sunday 04 March - Bath Half Marathon
                                  DT- At least sub 85

Sunday 11 March - Surrey Half Marathon: 
                                  G-Dawg - sub 1.26
                                  Lorenzo - sub 1:28
                                  SBD - sub 1:30 (MP Run)

Sunday 18 March - Ashby 20
                                  DT mara pace plus 10-15 seconds per mile

Sunday 25 March - Cranleigh 21
                                  G-Dawg MP tester

Friday 30 March  - Maidenhead 10 miles
                                  Lorenzo - 66:xx

Sunday 08 April  - Jersey Spring 10k
                                 GM - 38:30

Sunday 15 April - Brighton Marathon
                                SBD - Sub 3:10

Sunday 22 April - London Marathon
                                G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                DT -Too early to say yet
                                Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)
                                Nicko1981 (tentative) - sub 3.10

Sunday 6 May - Richmond HM
                             MsE

Sunday 20 May  - Sutton 10K:
                                MsE

• I've entered the Maidenhead 10 miler. My Wokingham split was 65:35 so I should shoot at 64.xx but the main aim will be to finish ahead of Lorenzo as he will be doing it as marathon prep and I can give it some beans.

Sunday 04 March - Bath Half Marathon
                                  DT- At least sub 85

Sunday 11 March - Surrey Half Marathon: 
                                  G-Dawg - sub 1.26
                                  Lorenzo - sub 1:28
                                  SBD - sub 1:30 (MP Run)

Sunday 18 March - Ashby 20
                                  DT mara pace plus 10-15 seconds per mile

Sunday 25 March - Cranleigh 21
                                  G-Dawg MP tester

Friday 30 March  - Maidenhead 10 miles
                                  Lorenzo - 66:xx
                                  PMJ - 65.xx

Sunday 08 April  - Jersey Spring 10k
                                 GM - 38:30

Sunday 15 April - Brighton Marathon
                                SBD - Sub 3:10

Sunday 22 April - London Marathon
                                G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                DT -Too early to say yet
                                Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)
                                Nicko1981 (tentative) - sub 3.10

Sunday 6 May Richmond HM
                             MsE

Sunday 20 May  - Sutton 10K:
                                MsE

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've entered the Liverpool vitality on 25th March. Probably a pretty decent point in time to give me a clear steer on my fitness for London as with only 4 weeks to London by then I wont get much fitter. 
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Hope you guys are coping nicely with all the snow.

Its been a tough couple of weeks here. Last weekend we had our squads annual run camp which meant the whole weekend running on the beach and up and over rocky headlands. Really tough running and in torrential rain pretty much the entire weekend. However, I did get a lot of time chatting to Steve Monaghetti as we ran along. He was really enjoying the fact that we had no mobile reception where we were so had a few days respite from Australian Commonwealth games  responsibilities that are clearly ramping up right now.
    After lots of running we ended the weekend with an hours kayaking on the Noosa river, which although seemingly gentle really bust me up. I am not designed to sit in that position for and hour and my hips and lower back ached for 3 days afterwards.

After that last week was kinda tough and I struggled through my sessions. This weekend we stepped up a gear and did one of the hilliest routes around. It was a 25km loop with 600m of ascent up gravel trails... and to cap it all it must've been 30C and 85% humidity. Tough running.

Yesterday I failed to drag myself out of bed, instead prioritizing a sunday morning sleep in. That meant fitting my sunday recovery run in after dinne Again the humidity was through the roof, but I was feelign pretty good so put in a solid 18km and dropped 2kg in sweat before collapsing in the pool for a cool down as soon as I got home.

End of a 75km week.... This week I step up to 95km
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Well done all who managed to get out and either run or race last week.

Although we didn't have the amount of snow some places had, I didn't want to risk an injury on the snow/ice so went on the treadmill for 4 of my runs.  It's better than not running at all, but I find the treadmill so much harder because of the poor air conditioning at my gym.   The snow thawed quite quickly so was able to run 18 miles yesterday.  I was meant to run a half marathon with my plan, but decided to get in another long run instead.  

I'm going to run a 20 mile race next week and see if I can do first half at long run pace and half at MP.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good running everyone who managed to get out!

Bit of a disaster week for me, only managed 7.5 treadmill miles, however my cold has now gone so I'm raring to go for the final 7 weeks of training.

As mentioned Warwick Half was cancelled, has anyone ran Coventry half before? Its my only local option before London but looks a tough route?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

RunningGas - good miles for a snow week. Well done running up and down the same stretch to get the session done.
    Leslie - hope you find your mojo soon.
    Lorenzo - still no races booked, but I have half an eye on the Norfolk 100km in June; really would have liked to have done a shorter ultra to start with though!
    SBD - glad your calf seems to be okay - at least there should have been plenty of ice to hand!
    GD - now the weather has warmed up a bit, I'm sure that will help.
    DT19great long run.
    DadAgain - sounds like an interesting week; hope you can ramp up the mileage this week. Will the temperature / humidity start to ease up a bit yet?
    MrSoft - nice long run. Hope the 20 mile race goes to plan next week.
    StevieWh - hopefully the rest will have done you good.
    5 mile recovery run to start the week.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Steviewh, Ive run Coventry in 2015 and 16. Its a pretty decent event. First 4 miles are largely flat with a reasonable amount of downhill. There's then quite a bit of climbing until mile 8 but at that point you turn a corner and there are then vast amounts of downhill pretty much to the end.

I've faired well there the twice i've run it as I've mentally treated it like an 8  mile slog where I work really hard, then 5 miles of complete free wheeling. I would have entered this had it not been for having an Ashby entry the same day.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks @DT19

I am just unsure whether I am better off just getting some more long runs in before the marathon. I have ran two 18.5 and a 21 so far.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well, a half can very easily be turned into an 18  miler with a decent warm up and cool down. Aside from the weekend of the race there are realistically 3 other long run weekends to come as well.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Stevie - with 7 weeks left, and just the 3 runs you mention as long runs so far, I'd say you definitely need to prioritise more long runs. Maybe including the half with a few miles either side?  
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Just to add to the pictures of the weekend runs - jaunt down the Monsal Trail on Sunday which includes a number of old railway tunnels
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. As I don't really know Coventry I'd be more comfortable doing long runs instead I think rather than trying to plan a warm up route. Although it does mean I haven't had chance to test out my race number magnets!

Going to get out for an 8-10 mile easy run tonight to get back into it and then a tempo tomorrow.

London Marathon runners - have you got ballot entries or are you GFA/charity?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    G-D/Lorenzo - I haven't run the Surrey HM before.  My plan is to do a 5/7 mile warm up on the course (to give me a 18/20 mile run with 13 at MP), arriving back at the pens c. 10 mins before the start time.  How easy will it be to get in to the correct pen/starting place?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    You should be OK, SBD. It's a bit of a free for all. The pacers stagger themselves along the start and attract their audience around them. You can move through the crowd, no problem. It's all very civilised, this is Surrey after all!  ;)

Sounds like you have a good plan to enjoy a decent 18/20 miler. Good luck.  B)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    G-D - That's reassuring, thanks.  I hate these larger HMs where they want you to be in inflexible corrals ages before the start.  Civilised and flexible is much more appropriate!  Just need some good weather for Sunday ...
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Quick question for those more knowledgeable than me.  Should I be worried that I seem to have lost some of my 5k speed while training for my marathon?.  A few of my training sessions  include some intervals at 5k or quicker but when I've done them so far, the pace is 10-15 secs slower than I would expect it to be.  I'm hitting the target paces for threshold and steady runs but really struggling on anything quicker. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Difficult to say without analysing your sessions, MrSoft. There's a lot to be said for specificity, if you you've been targeting endurance with some speed, you may have lost some leg turnover and high speed endurance for the 5k discipline. I tend to include a big mix of speed, short and long in my programmes, so I tend to improve across all distances if th campaign is going well.

On a similar theme, I wanted to test a bit of leg turnover tonight to prep for Sunday's HM. Just a 5 miler but decided to mix it up a tad. Splits were 6.54, 6.27, 6.47, 6.22, 6.22. Average was 6.34. 

Seems to to show I'm progressing and with the lurgy finally almost gone, my chest felt open in the slightly milder air.
    Just got to make sure I don't over cook it this week and save some for race day.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    StevieWh - yes, a few more long runs would be good. As for me, I'll be off to the Lake District that day to celebrate my silver wedding anniversary. Maybe next year!
    MrSoft - I wouldn't be too concerned. If you're doing higher mileage than usual, your legs might be a bit jaded anyway. Did the interval sessions follow rest / recovery days or mlrs / steady runs?
    GD - nice bit of pace, there. What are your plans for the HM?
    Cutting back on the mileage for a while to make time to prepare something for our 25th. So 6 miles with 6 x 3 mins efforts this morning, around 6:03-6:05 m/m.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good paces G-Dawg. Good to hear the lurgy is almost gone.

mr soft, as Gul  say it depends on the make up of your training. Mine is far from optimal for 5k paces, however based on my last outing I am still at pb level, which tells me that a few weeks of sharper training after London and I'll beat it.

Nice little run, Gul.

I took a day off running yesterday and just did my usual spin class. Back to it with an mlr tonight. I should have time to get 10 miles in. Legs still feel a bit tired from Sunday's 20 so will keep fairly easy.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Congratulations in advance @Gul Darr that's a special day! Great running as well!

Last nights run was a bit of a disaster, decided to do a tempo run to minimise time in the rain & cold. Felt heavy footed all the way round and couldn't seem to get going. Also still some snow drifts to get through. On the plus side average pace was below marathon pace and HR below 160 so I will take that!

10 easy miles tonight and see if I can sort my running form out.
  • G-Dawg - great splits on your 5 miler, glad to hear the lurghy has gone!

StevieWh - I think it's normal to feel heavy footed during some of the runs due to the nature of marathon training, peaks and troughs!

Good start to the week for me. 11 miles yesterday, with 7 at MP (07:25) and a recovery 9 miles today at 08:39 pace.

I have Valencia half coming up on the 24th March. Any advice on whether to cut back on the long runs the week before and if going flat out in the race could be harmful (Newport Marathon is 5 weeks after)? I have a 22 mile weekend run planned either side of Valencia Half. My Half PB is 1:32 so was looking to attempt 1:30 or sub but don't wanna screw up the rest of my marathon training.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    R.Gas - is a half marathon PB, or the Newport Marathon, your main goal?  My opinion (and experience) is that a flat out half 5 weeks prior, won't harm your marathon. Also, I wouldn't cut back on your long run(s) if you are preparing for a decent marathon. The two aren't mutually exclusive anyway - my half marathon PB (albeit many years ago) was set in the middle of a marathon buildup, with a 20 miler on Thursday, and the half 3 days later  . .    good luck :) 

easy 8 for me yesterday, then 12 today , inc  3 x 800m, 1 x 1400m, 2 x 800m, all in a flattish park, then 2 x 1000m hills included.  Legs  wrecked  . . .  
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice leg wrecking Birch. A satisfying pain session...when it's over with!
    cracking start to the week from RunningGas with 20 in the bag already. Nice.

Met three others at the track tonight where we hit the streets for a 10 miler. We all had decent runs last night so just kept this steady and chatted our way round. Pleasantly surprised to average 7.05 pace. Will rest tomorrow and sacrifice the usual weekly volume to prep for a solid tilt at the HM PB on Sunday.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening all, albeit a late one folks. Just trying to keep tabs on here whilst scraping a living in terms of miles. 30 for me last week but with some nice quality sessions thrown in.

DT – That’s a really good 20 and solid weekly total. What distance is the Liverpool vitality? I couldn’t see it on the amended race list?

MsE – Hello! I wondered where you had go to. Sorry to hear about the niggle but still, two nice races to aim for and it will be interesting to see where you arrive at come the 10k.

DadAgain – Collapsing in a pool for a cool down sounds like heaven! Nice experience chatting to the famous dude! The kayaking sounds fun too. Great weekly mileage and building nicely, what’s been your biggest so far, as 75 to 95 seems like a big jump, unless the 75 was a cut back week?

Mr Soft – Good luck for your 20! I have never run on a treadmill other than a charity half hour last year. It felt very weird.

StevieWh – I’m glad you’re over the lurgy. Shame about Warwick. Defo plus 1 for more long runs.

AndyLid – That’s a very interesting photo. Where is that?

Gul – Nice turn of pace. Silver anniversary huh. Nice!

RunningGas – I had no idea there was a half option in Valencia. What Birch says. :smile:

Birch – I’m not surprised you’re legs are wrecked, that’s a cracking session! Are you signed up for a race yet? 

The Surrey half this Sunday looks like a good thread outing. I hope the weather plays ball after recent issues.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - snow drifts certainly don't help.
    RunningGas - unless you want to make the HM your A target, I wouldn't cut back on the long runs until the taper for the marathon.
    Birch - great interval session.
    GD - good 10 miler. All the best for Sunday.
    GM - quality not quantity.
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Running Gas- As others have said, at all times the marathon is the A target. I usually plan in a half in the schedule but plan my schedule so that it lands at the end of a well needed recovery week.

Good sessions Birch and G-Dawg.

Gerard-Liverpool vitality is a half. I'll have to update the race list to slot that in, in a moment.

I'm feeling the fatigue build up finally, after cruising through the last 6 weeks. Last nights 10 was a hard old trudge even at 8.20mm. I selected a hilly route and my legs were tired from sundays 20 still. What I hadn't anticipated was the volume of snow on the higher ground in the lanes. At one point I had to stop the watch and walk for a while. Cars still completely abandoned with no chance of moving for now.

I've also been going hard on the weight loss and I think i've gone a little too hard as I have that very jaded, low energy feeling, and my weight and body fat have taken a sudden drop in last week. Probably at perfect weight now so just need to maintain it.

5 miles at mara pace over lunchtime. Conditions look great, however I am not sure my body is going to be as up for it as it has been over the last few weeks.