Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Pete, I'm no expert, but done no shortage of reading when I've been injured.
    Like you say, mid/forefoot running puts more strain on the calf - just think of sprinting on the track or hills. That's when they're engaged. However, if you somehow manage to heel strike going up hill, or your forefoot is up when doing so (excessive dorsiflexion), then that will extend the calf and do you no favours - this tends to happen when fatigued and up hill form goes.

For the record, this is how I ruined my calf after the Combe Gibbet last year - working and fatiguing myself on the ups, followed by poor form on the downs (slappy feet).

Heel raises were the way to go for me, doing that routinely for a few minutes 3 or 4 times a day seemed to help.

As for changing your gait - some people swear by it and say it can be done yada yada, but there's a reason you run like you do - due to your anatomical intricacies and load, at the end of the day everyone is different and so don't run the same way economically. I view gait change in the same way I view cadence change - not worth the injury!

That's my two pence, it'll be worth seeing what the others say.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well Pete, I've spent many an hour messing about with running styles, so I might have some idea what works, or should, but quite often doesn't.

For a start, at the start of a runners career, there's the likely hood of them running as fast as they can.

They'll have a set of muscles already in place, so they use those as best they can. But the problem here is, those muscles which aren't necessarily the most efficient for running get used more than the one's which should be. Eh!

It's the reason why some runners have an awful style. They start out with it, and simply compound it with extra training. When they should really start by adopting an efficient style and then develop it from there. Probably never happens mind.

The over striding thing is probably the preserve of runners who simply lack the power in their legs to match their cadence. That's probably me in race mode.
    I've tried the Mo Farah bounce style. I can do it, but it's useless for racing since my stride frequency drops to about 170 spm and the lack of real power means my stride length is pathetic.
    I have enough range to do it, but no power. 

My solution is to race with what feels like a truncated stride. That way I can at times nail 200 spm plus. If I lose concentration, it's all too easy for the feet to start leading the way (over striding), when the feeling should be leading with knees only, and dropping the feet straight down.
    It feels odd, but imagine running up some stairs- then do the same on the flat. 

🙂

• Options
    Oh he can do what he bloody likes ;) - I didn't know the background although the Dean revelations throw a bit more light on the run up to what went on. Fair play on not taking the prize.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    It's the reason why some runners have an awful style. They start out with it, and simply compound it with extra training. When they should really start by adopting an efficient style and then develop it from there. Probably never happens mind.

Interestingly, Ric, that kind of did happen for me.  I have quite a long stride anyway, but when I started running again, I was definitely overstriding.  Whilst I was still only running once a week, I read something about higher cadence and gave it a try. The word I had in my head for it was 'scuttling'.  Immediately, I was running about a minute quicker round my 10K circuit.  By the time I came to start actually training properly, that was just how I ran.  Mind you, it's still a longer stride than most have, which seems to suit the track and not the country.

Bad news about the various injuries and strains for Pete and Reg.  Reg, you've had no luck whatsoever.  However, I'm sure you're aware of this, but my concern would be that changing the way you run to avoid pain will only result in you injuring something else.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - he was never getting away with it, as they'd have quickly worked out he wasn't 49!

No gait expert, but as per Dachs and what you fear yourself Pete, changing your running style is a huge thing and I wonder if it is something you can purposely do so far in.
    On a slightly different note, I knew someone who got hung up on his cadence, and the supposed "magic" 180 per min. He tried to engineer that sort of number, and just got injured
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Pete - My advice would be to ensure you have the appropriate forward lean, that would be more from the hips/whole body not the chest. If you have that sorted you should automatically acquire a footstrike that lands in the right place, so underneath your centre of gravity not out in front.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I have a recording of me running my pb 5000m. Stride frequency 200 pm, stride length a mere 5 feet. Pathetic!

To amuse yourselves, calculate my pb. Note - the numbers given can get you pretty close. <0.5%

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I've tried changing my gait a number of times in the past, with no success. Maybe time to try again, as I've not enjoyed a completely pain free run for a few weeks now either. The back just won't seem to ease off as it usually does, and the hip/adductor thing has come out in sympathy again, together with a slightly disturbing abdominal discomfort. All on the left hand side. If I hadn't had a hernia ruled out before Christmas, I'd be thinking it might be that. Either way, I might need to consider seeking some professional advice if it carries on.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Dachs said:

Bad news about the various injuries and strains for Pete and Reg.  Reg, you've had no luck whatsoever.  However, I'm sure you're aware of this, but my concern would be that changing the way you run to avoid pain will only result in you injuring something else.

I take your point but I suspect that in this case, avoiding the pain is pointing to the correct way to run. The pain is caused by the tendon rubbing as the weight goes through my leg. I think this is due to a weak glute and over working hamstring (the reason I get recurrent hamstring tears). So just carrying on as I was is defintely not right.

All I am doing is running with a bit quicker cadence, so less time weight-bearing and landing a fraction wider so hopefully the footstrike is more central and this takes the pressure off the outside of the hip and helps with the correct pronation.

Meanwhile I am working with the physio to get the correct muscles activated and firing but it looks like it will be a bit of a long-haul.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys; consensus seems to be don't try anything drastic but run a bit more upright to try and get the lead foot landing under the centre of gravity. Not sure I properly understood your point though Reg; is that just running a bit more stood up straight then rather than crouched forward? 

Ric I reckon 16'24 for your 5k pb with some elementary maths! Incidentally why not go back to that short a stride if you can get such cadence and hence times with it?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Once i'd realised i'd misread Ric's stride length as 5 "metres" instead of feet, (which i thought was some going for a littlun, or in fact anyone, and that he hadn't therefore run 5k in 5mins), i make it the exact 16.24 Pete does.

Glad to see Pete accounted for the 40 in the 16.40 he'd have got from one calc as being 40% of a min and thus 24secs, rather than the "D2D" (remember her?) style of infuriatingly quoting pace without doing so.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Close guys, 16:27. 

As things are at the moment, I definitely have a short stride. However, not only is the stride shorter than usual, it's also slower too. 9 minute miling anyone?

🙂

• Options
    I think if you've communicated in enough time under their rules to swap the place and they haven't responded I'd go ahead and run. I'd just be sure to write some medical details on the back of the number just in case. That was their big concern, what if he had the other guys medical details and they gave him the wrong blood or something.. Bit over the top! If he knew he would be up there to win I would have covered myself better at the start and tried to find someone. Fair play for ignoring the prize, probably wasn't much anyway, not like a trip to France he could swap or anything  

No running for another week? Sat in my gear about to try and go out but baby here and been manic in the shop today, new shoes and watches going crazy. Got the SUB 2 shoe in today (early). Lightest shoe I've ever held and seems to be very responsive. Selling it at £195 makes me puke a bit and by 2PM, Yes I had sold some 

I've completely missed all the posts bar Dachs and his mileage problem :) 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

You'll be retired by 40 selling pairs of shoes at £195!

Evening hills with Datchet.

A more pleasing format of 6x4mins with 2min recoveries. (Rather than last time with 7x4mins off 1min, but with a 3or 4 (I forget now) min recovery after the 4th.

Up a hill, and then climbing further round a bend into a cul de sac( as opposed to the first time pre Christmas where it levelled out after), then back down.

0.67m  5.58
    0.68m  5.53
    0.69m  5.48
    0.71m  5.38
    0.70m  5.43
    0.72m  5.33

A few factors don't make those splits as easy to study afterwards as on the flat.
    Clearly rep 1 started up hill, and you had a second climb later on in the 4mins. Whereas by rep 6 you started down, so only had the 1 climb.

Chris B turned up 3mins into rep 2, so probably helped pushed me further from there on in too.

Usual crowd scene, about 60+ there. In the dark, with so many there it's not always easy to speak to too many newbies. By the summer that should be easier!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    PeteM said:
    Thanks guys; consensus seems to be don't try anything drastic but run a bit more upright to try and get the lead foot landing under the centre of gravity. Not sure I properly understood your point though Reg; is that just running a bit more stood up straight then rather than crouched forward?
    Not really, I meant a slight lean forward but with your whole body from your ankles not your waist.

• Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Been away for a few weeks with work in Feb, just getting back into the swing of things. Some amazing racing mileage and runs in general while I’ve been away by the sounds of it! 

First non freezing track session back tonight - 1ks, 600s and 200s. 3 of each with 200 walk/jog recovery 1.5-2 mins. Aim was the 1ks at 5k pace and each shorter set a bit quicker. Ended up 3:35s, 2:04s, 35, 34, 31. Felt pretty comfortable to begin with but I was struggling a bit with the cold fog. 

Back to full on training now though - tt bike is together and will add in swims soon (he says!)
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    good session SG - though i dont think the purpose of hills is to analyse the data, its purely based on effort.  if it felt like it was in the right zone then the session was a success, you cant get to much information from a 0.02 diff in distance using a garmin.  I need to do more hills as they are a core session that i seem to only do if the weather is a shocker.

hope the injured find cures quickly. 

Pete - like dachs i think changing your nature gait/style could give other issues.  Running is really easy...its left foot right foot repeat. Keep it simple.  My running style is pretty ugly when the pace is lower (say on a 10k or longer) but in a track race my style is pretty good, im more on my toes.  It varies with the pace.  maybe get someone to film you doing strides and then compare to doing say mile reps.  and look at what the difference is. It could be more to do with core / glute strength.  Though runners dont like to here that because that doesnt go on strava.. so no kudos :)
  • Options

Scott - Seen Adidas flogging their spikes for £140 - f**king joke. Got my two pairs of Puma track spikes for £40 and £30 and they are great. Who makes the sub2 - Nike?

Reg - hope the rehab goes ok - must be awkward trying to alter running style a bit. I've tried it just changing my arms and that was bad enough. Likewise Pete. Good reps SG - some fresh meat eh :) Nice work iower!

8 x 800 last night at not quite as soggy as I'd expected rugby club pitch..got them down from 2.49 to 2.33 I think the last one was, 80 secs recovery

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, you're right Dean, and the nature of the ups and downs being different each rep doesn't give much to go on either! It felt right though, and I managed to compete with one of our XC legends.

Are you regional relaying next weekend? (if they are all the same day!)

Anyone else?

I'm slightly tempted to have a crack at whatever the local parkrun is to where I'm staying Friday night, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    ps welcome back Iower, nice little session, sharp last 200!
    Although our snow has long gone, it felt pretty cold today.

Easy day, 4.5 and a 4 to put a 30 Mon-Wed.

pps Simon, interesting recovery, 80? Unusual? But anything to keep things fresh! Nice range on the 800s, a few looseners no doubt?

The beauty of the Dashers is they are huge on social media, so there's always a thread or 2 of stuff going on. I need to get to know more of them though, and not just the guys in and around at races and sessions.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Are you regional relaying next weekend? (if they are all the same day!)

Anyone else?

the midlands relays is the day before i fly out to madrid for the euro indoors, so im not going to risk it.  Which is sensible bearing in mind i fell over a tree by the start pen and damaged my ankle last yr...missing 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not for a second would that be wise! That park had some dodgy little through routes. I did think of you when our captain led us on a pre relay squad jog through a right old dodgy rickety stoney route!

I think we came 22nd in the regionals, needing top 25, so safely in, but not so safe that out qualification would be a given a year on, and with 2 of our best 6 not running.

There's no way I won't be on a long leg, but that's no worry at the southern regional, as I believe it's something like 3miles and 4.5 or so. It's the Sutton Course one where there feels a big difference.

Ideally will be 5th or 7th, as the women are on the course by then, and the more people around you the better. You bypass the red hot legs 1 and 3, and you don't have to sit aroud for 4-5hours for the later legs, that can be run in isolation! Fingers crossed!
    Perfect scenario is that you have your team's slowest short leg guy in front of you, so you get to hoover back some positions :)

Last year the course was a 1.3mile loop at Gravesend, unfortunately with quite strong wind right over the hilly parts! No idea what MK is like, Simon, or anyone, any idea?

Getting excited now, not sure if that's clear ;)
    I do have 2 drives to Manchester and back in between, so it still feels a long way off.
  • Options
    Yeah never have enough time to warm up properly so the first couple tend to be a bit crap. 70/80 secs is about usual for our 800’s. 

MK course is ok. Out of the track, flat along the road, under the underpass and then you are uphill on a slight gradient for about half a mile until you go into Linford Woods. Then a nice long stretch which is basically flat, slightly downhill which takes you back round near to the road by the track. On a long leg you carry on to go round to the uphill bit again. On a short leg you go under the road and join a path, slightly downhill that goes around the outside of the track. Then it’s back into the track. It’s not too bad. 
  • Options
    Opted for a session today, so broke out my Hyperions - the weather was warm (ish), and a light breeze, so would be rude not to speed about! Also hoping this will bring back some mojo.

Decided to do long tempo intervals, and ended up with 3 x 10mins and 5mins easy recovery. Set out on the first one, not knowing how it would come out (although sub-7 miling was the primary aim) - surprised to see 6:20s at around half way, and managed to hold. Definitely needed the 5mins easy, and the second rep was distinctly harder and soon became clear that third rep was off the cards as I was pushing hard to keep pace. Second was around 6:16s. Looking at my HR, I hit 204 towards the end of the rep, climbing a small rise - so definitely not tempo!!

I was really looking to see where I'm at (~ 20min 5k) and so I may think about mile reps Saturday or so and aim for consistency around 6:30s. It's gonna be a tough return to fitness!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good effort there Matt, though I might suggest that one good blast of 10 minutes was enough.

That's something to do with how long it takes for a gradual build up of lactate to hit optimum levels, and one reason why so many racers wilt after just 10 minutes of racing.

I used to do one session aimed at just filling up with lactate simply to get used to shifting the stuff. All I'd do is run full out for a minute, rest a minute ten times.
     All the way through the session I'd go less and less distance during the runs. I did it once on a track and from reaching nearly 400m 375m on the first rep, I was barely to 300m on the last.

Lactate! I was swimming in the stuff.

I haven't the nerve to do that session these days. Six months off at a time becomes wearing.

Having suggested injury. Currently I've been experimenting with going to sleep on a snack and a couple of aspirin. Results so far are encouraging. Aches I had before kip time are generally gone after. The occasions when I've not taken the drugs, not so good. Inform WADA, I'm a wrong un!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Matt - not even being able to contemplate the last rep is one heck of a sign you've overblown it :)
    Probably a good sign you could hold those paces, so a week or 2 more and you'll be back to full capacity.

Love it Ric, you must be the biggest "thinker" about running I've ever known. You always have some scheme on the go!

After my little spell of 5x15 pre half marathon, I'd basically had 2 easy weeks, one planned, and one weather affected.

Needed to get a long one in this week, and in some ways it feels easier doing a 15 in midweek. 
    Tough work today, pretty windy in places, but still a 6.53 job, which will do nicely.

Probably a F 6 with a single and drive up north, SAT OFF and drive back home job , and Sunday 10 or maybe slightly more now. Will bin off the idea of a parkrun up north, complicates things, and need a rest day anyway
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Has to be SG. When you spend as much time 'not running' as I have done. 'Thinking' is about all there is left.

10 miles done through the mud and hills am. Hardly a sign of anything to make me go 'ouch!'

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good news Ric - simple but most important feeling in running that is!
    Refuelling, and starting to feel human again!
  • Options

Good news Ric. Got a little upper hammy niggle myself. Was ok this morning, just sitting at my desk making it hurt a little. Good bit of running there Matt, getting back on it.

No sessions now anyway as Intercounties Saturday. Don't want to look a complete wally coming well down the field or something.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes definitely SG.

I've had all sorts of injuries but if I can work out what it is, and why it's happened, I can sort of work out how long it will take to sort out; but only if I don't compound the issue.

It depends on the structure which is injured. From 10 days for muscle to 18 months for ligaments. Strained ligaments can lead to strained tendons; I've mentioned that before, and from there, the whole pack of cards can collapse.

Yes, it's possible to end up with one leg completely unbalancing one's progress. This however wasn't something I had to deal with since I had at once a sore left knee and a sore right foot.

To the untrained eye I was a slow runner. To those in the know, I was in fact, limping in both legs.

🙂