P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Rest sounds like a good plan if you feel crap AWC hope you are better in a few days.

Westy: get out there and do it..  :D  Although I must admit I skipped that nasty last week in favour of some MP miles  (might find another slot for it though). 

Nice reps Scott. 

Regarding the big weeks - I am feeling a bit (too?) smug having done mine last week.  The tick each box off as it comes approach is working well for me.  At the beginning of the plan I didn't think I would get through a 55 mile week (first time P&Der previously on 40 - 45 mile weeks max), but due to the build up over the last weeks it wasn't a big issue to get the miles done.  I am only on the "baby" up to 55 miles a week plan though. 

Saying that though my legs are still tired from Sunday's efforts.  Trotted around the standard Tuesday route with my group yesterday and didn't really enjoy the hills.. (around 900 ft in total), the flat bits were okay though.

Intervalls later.  Will be hard work but as said above: get out there and do it...
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

While I have no doubt had a good training block so far Tom, there is no way you’ll be struggling to keep up with me at Manchester based on your recent training. I could not run a 1:21 training HM!

Picking up an injury due to repetition or just using muscles slightly differently was a worry NE. Thankfully seemed ok, although my hamstrings were quite achey last week, which rarely if ever happens to me with normal running. Well done keeping the mileage up despite the snow.

Congrats on the plank off Jools ;)

Great long run and mileage Ramjet.

Sorry again to hear about the knee SQ, that really sucks. At least it was after Wokingham and you’ve already got your big goal race in the bag.

Well done on the MP long run Hazel. Big confidence booster!

Take it easy John, bound to be tired after a big week like you had.

Glad the race went well Joe.

Real shame about Bath for you Steve, but that fitness won’t have gone anywhere. Should set you up well for the rest of the year.

Thankfully most people have better things to do first thing on a Sunday Scott, so the gym was quite quiet! :D Nice session.

Get well soon AWC, hopefully just a brief bug.

Good luck for the LT run Westy. Those 7 milers are a slog. Maybe break it up a bit, I find that helps make it more manageable both physically and mentally.

Lots of people attempting their biggest weeks it seems - good luck all!

Busy couple of days for me, up early (for me anyway) yesterday for 12 easy miles along the canal before a long meeting. Lovely to be out in the fresh air again, and it was just about light enough at 6am to not need a head torch. Then another early start this morning for a big BMC session. 25 mins @ MP, 5x4 mins @ LT, then another 25 mins @ MP. I felt quite tired but settled in to the first MP section nicely and averaged 6:17/mi. The 4 min reps felt tough but came out fairly consistently between 5:47/mi and 5:54/mi.

However by this point I had already ran nearly 13 miles and the legs were starting to feel it. I could only manage 6:31/mi for the second MP section which was a bit disappointing, but I’m pleased I at least stuck it out - it was tempting to bail. The HR was below MP effort, so I think it was just tired legs that couldn’t get up to speed. Good practice running on tired legs at least, and overall it was 18.5 miles at 6:40/mi, which isn’t bad for a Wednesday morning!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Toying with the idea of binning today's 7mi LT and doing a local low key 10k race this sunday. What do you think kids?
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Spoons - a midweek workout for 18.5 miles!? Amazing and well done on getting through the last 25 mins. Nice mix of sessions that you’ve chosen for your plan. 

Westy - do it, that’s what I did last week. Better to fit in a race to get sharp than slog around solo not quite hitting the paces you’d like (which I’ll be doing on Friday  :D)
  • Westy do it.  Just don’t win it unless you’re running under your own name.

Spoons - cracking session.  Looks like an interesting way of spicing up a long run, I might borrow it sometime.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I'd always recommend racing Westy.
  • Tom - very speedy weekday half.

Westy - I'd definitely go for the race option.

Hazel -  good luck for the intervals.

Spoons, that's an absolutely monster session. I am genuinely really excited to see how you get on in London. When I come back to focus solely on running, I'm going to try a similar build to what you're doing now and see what benefits it brings. 

Continuing my focus on the bike and then fitting runs in when I'm knackered. Had a big 2.5 hours with an hour high intensity which left me waddling around this morning. Had a nice recovery 10km in the sun at lunch though.

Got the Surrey Half on Sunday. Haven't done a single run session since Wokingham, apart from a couple of races. Not sure whether to expect any improvement or just hope for the best. Will go out at Wokingham pace minus 2 seconds per mile and see if I can bag a PB. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I did the LT run...so won't be racing on Sunday.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I've been quiet for a while but been lurking in the background. Too much to comment on butI notice another big session from Spoons. Like Joe, looking forward to seeing how you go. When you first started posting I never imagined you'd make this much progress so quickly but it's clear that a lot of hard work has gone into it and makes me reflect on my half-baked approach!

Talking of which I hobbled out 30 miles last week but hurt my back on Monday so it's just a run off the bike so far this weel, I think I'l be ok to run tomorrow though. I'm turning my focus towards the triathlon season and obviosuly won't be doing London.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Could still race Sunday Westy ;) What was your LT pace then?
    Shorter races are sessions JB for longer distance events. Good luck in Surrey.
    Noticed you were training sporadically Reg & still knocking out impressively quick sessions.
    Clocked that monster session Spoons - I wouldn't be too disappointed in the 2nd MP pace given the impressive 4 minute efforts & your relentlessly high mileage.
    Mindful of the fact I didn't get any speedwork done last week, with snow cancelling all 3 of my weekend blasts, & my 20M race this w/e I opted for a different approach to TM Wednesday today. I've found the 130min steady sessions have really destroyed my legs for a few days so wanted something shorter & not done any efforts for an aeon. Went for 2K wu, 10x800m @6m/M pace with 400m jog recoveries, 2K cd. Really enjoyed it as felt strong from the 1st 800 on. 9 & 10 were hard work but I could have managed another couple I'm sure however I didn't want to leave everything in the pool of sweat I'd created. As usual I had the gradient set to 2% too. Only annoying thing was my HRM packed up so I've ordered new batteries.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Nah - I'll be doing 24 Friday or Saturday...and got a race the following week. I just was thinking of an alternative to the LT run today because I had the fear. Well done on your intervals.
     Glad to hear you're still alive Reg.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Anyone heard from Millsy? Some dubious shenanigans going on in Salisbury. 

Massive session from spoons. And good to see LTing from Westy. Although I would also have plumped for the race, fitting in the 24 is critical. 

Hope you're back firing on all cylinders soon Reg. 

Knee still sore - almost went for an X-ray yesterday, but signs of progress today. Fingers crossed. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Anyone localish to Hereford: NESpoons, SQ, Muddy this is a great value series of 5K races.
    Only £8 for all 3 & a fast course too.
    1st Wednesday in April, May & June at 7:15pm
    https://www.entrycentral.com/Hereford-5K-series

• Seems a few people are getting a case of the CNBA, must be catching!

Hope you feel better after some rest AWC

That last 25min effort must have really hurt Spoons and despite not being the pace you wanted will certainly provide a big training stimulus

You're putting in plenty of hours Joe

I really hope you manage to stay injury free and manage to put together some consistent training Reg

Good to get some pace in the legs Jooligan

For me just an easy 30 mins earlier

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Hope you managed to get out there NE!

Get well soon AWC.

Fantastic session Spoons! That is a lot of miles for a Wednesday morning.

Good luck this weekend JB

Nice session Jooligan. I'm trying not to picture that pool of sweat!

Well done on the LT session Westy.

Hooray for progress SQ!

Today was 7 @ LT for me as well. Except I refuse to attempt 7 miles. That is just silly. Instead I did 10K.

So after a 4 mile warm up it was time to man up and get it done. And... it went well. 6.21 @ 6:21! Or 10K in 39:30. My fastest ever training 10K. Happy with that in a big week.
  • Jooligan said:
    Anyone localish to Hereford: NESpoons, SQ, Muddy this is a great value series of 5K races.
    Only £8 for all 3 & a fast course too.
    1st Wednesday in April, May & June at 7:15pm
    https://www.entrycentral.com/Hereford-5K-series

*delurk* Can't do Wednesday evenings generally Jooligan but would be ace to just head over to one after work if the evening was somehow free.

While I'm here, sympathies to the Bath half'ers (which I had also hoped to do). I almost posted earlier last week to suggest there was no chance of it being on but thought that might sound too negative :pensive:
     Knowing the spring weather, I had a plan B - Wilmslow a week on Sunday. I'm not especially hopeful that my tanking fitness will have an upturn in time for that but will enjoy the event regardless. Despite a few ups and downs, it's course that somehow just gets you on your way quickly.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning...Ramjet, well on the LT run too - I also didn't do 7mi, more like 6.5mi, but was going to keep it to myself.
    8 mi for me today. Bit wet outside at the moment, but hopefully will be dry by lunchtime.
    Very tired after a few bad night's sleep - my darling missus has got a snotty cold at the moment and has been snoring like a trooper. I really need to sort out a bed in the spare bedroom, either that or leave her.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    We've got snow here ffs.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    More snow :D

Feeling a bit better today but definitely not up to running. Might try a 4-5mi tomorrow. At least this illness means I'll be well tapered for Reading next Sunday!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Lovely and sunny here and fairly mild with most of the snow now gone....almost as if it never happened and Spring has arrived!

Glad you are feeling a bit better AWC. No harm in having a bit of rest anyway.

Nice sweaty TM session Jools-sounds quite unpleasant to me having never run on one of the things.

Excellent 7 mile (almost ) LT sessions Westy and Ramjet.

You really have had no luck at all on the injury front Reg. Hope you can get in some consistent training in the not too distant future.

That's a monster midweek session Spoons-well done-looking really good for Manchester.

Pleased to hear there are signs of progress with the knee SQ. Are you running London?

2 seconds a mile is nothing Joe! I think you will go very close to a new PB. If you can get yourself into a nice group at the pace it will be a big help. Didn't you run a fair bit of Wokingham solo? Always much harder in those circumstances.

Calling HA-How are mate? Hope all is well.

My big week is going well. Followed Tuesdays HM with an easy 11 miles yesterday and then had the luxury of a daylight run this morning (out at 6:25) due to being on a course. Big session today-a bit windy but conditions pretty good. 3 miles warm up, 5 miles @LT, 5 miles @MP, 3 miles steady. 16 @ 6:09 avg m/m all in. LT pace was slow (as usual) but then MP pace felt very easy off the back of it. Hard workout but pleased with how it went. I'm now enjoying lots of free flapjacks/cakes/biscuits that are being provided on this course. May well fall asleep at some point this afternoon!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Blimey Tom...don't you ever break down?!
  • Not surprised you didn't make the full 7 miles T Ramjet, they're the worst!

Good to hear you're beginning to feel better

Shame the snow has made an unwelcome return Westy

Despite the mileage in the legs that's a great pace for the full 16 let alone the faster sections Tom

50 mins today at 6:53 pace, just one of those runs that felt great and then Arsenal actually managed to win! Miracles do happen

• Nice symmetry with the stats ramjet. That would actually be quite a good yardstick by which to rank a runner...  Some runners could do 10.00 miles at 10.00 pace.  You can do at 6.21miles at 6.21 pace (and lower numbers, I'm sure).  I can no longer do that.   So come on everyone... what's the shortest distance you could run where the mileage matched the pace? My Ramjet Index would be around 6.55.

Blimey Tom... don't you ever break down?!
    Sounds like there's been some amazing snow again up north, especially west yorkshire.
    Back to lurking muddy? 
    Good luck awc.
    Plenty of good running westy.  The earphone ban is for races, btw... it doesn't extend to the bedroom and sound like they could be useful.
    Thanks for the heads-up on Hereford Jooligan. Marathons get in the way of April and May... but maybe June.
    Big sesh again spoons.
    You too, Hazel.  Any news on your neighbour?

Steady away for me this week.  Hoping to do that 7m LT session tomorrow... see if there's any change in  the pace for 157bpm.  

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    NE: I've always run my quickest time in April as I'm usually entering the taper phase. May is never quick as I'm still recovering then June is somewhere in between normally.
    My 5K PB (18:24) was set 4 days before going sub 3:15 for the first time (3:09:47).
    I only managed 18:32 in 2016 11 days before my marathon PB of 3:02:19
    Last year was even worse - 18:43 but it was 18 days before VLM so won't have started tapering.
    This year it'll be 18 days beforehand too so we'll see.
    On the pace/distance matching it'd probably be 6.10M@6:06. Not as neat but 0.1 minutes is 6s.
    Westy: hopefully the snow cleared off rather than sticking around. Still plenty about here from last time though it's a lot patchier today.
    Tom: another great run though after a 1:21 HM only 2 days ago I'd suggest you are in danger of burning too much in training which could explain your disappointing marathons.
    Double 8+ again for me so 17.3M at 8:06m/m average for the day.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Glad you are feeling better AWC.

Awesome session as ever Tom. I'm not sure I could manage 5 @ MP after 5 @ LT. I normally shuffle home after 5 @ LT.

Yay for a good run and an Arsenal win Scott!

I like your Ramjet index NE. I think I could do rather better in a race but 6:21 will do for now.

Nice double Jooligan.

15 miles steady for me today. The legs were definitely feeling yesterday's tempo by the end but I managed to average 7:40.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Reg - bad luck, at least you can focus on being tri ready now. 

Tom - monster session, as ramjet said just the 5@LT is solid enough so a further 5@MP is a great workout. 

Westy - the snow seems to be following you around. 

Ramjet - great 10k in a big week and then to back it up with a solid MLR. What marathon are you doing this w/e?

NE - good luck with your 7@LT

As predicted I struggled through my 7@LT, must be a combination of last week and doing it in Zante V3s rather than the usual Adios. Got it done in 6:30 avg pace but more of a tempo sprinkled with some LT when I could lift the pace. 
  • Thanks Joe. Good luck with the Surrey Half.

Well done getting the 7@LT done Westy.

Cheers Reg. I never expected to come this far either, let alone so quickly! Sorry to hear about the back. Hope you have better luck for the rest of the year.

Nice treadmill session Jools. Thanks for the heads up about that Hereford series. Sounds good, but with a fast parkrun on my doorstep not sure I’ll be tempted. Although being on a Wednesday is handy. 

Hope the knee is healing SQ.

Cheers Scott. The knowledge it was still good training is what kept me going! 

Good work on the LT session Ramjet.

Good luck at Wilmslow Muddy.

Another very impressive session Tom. Think you earned the flapjacks!

Still good training John, well done sticking with it.

16 cold and very misty miles for me this morning, averaging 6:48/mi. Legs feeling pretty good considering this is my 4th 100+ mile week in a row, and the big session Wednesday. Definitely starting to look forward to the taper kicking in after next week though.

• Some good LT and MLR's going on, keep up the great work guys. 

Done two hard bike sessions this week (Tuesday/Thursday), but only run 20 miles, no quality whatsoever. Not sure what the legs will be able to give on Sunday, will loosen up at parkrun tomorrow (my 150th) and then see what happens. Going to go out at PB pace and see what happens.

Special mention to Tom and Spoons, who as usual, are absolutely smashing it. 

I did see HA might be back out running as well..
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tom: tremendous session again Tom. Absolutely flying - couldn't imagine hitting MP after LT like that so hats off to you

Joe: hopefully your legs will be feeling fresh not having done so much running this week. Good luck anyways!

Spoons: fantastic mileage again - really, really impressive. Do you do much strength type work or are you just naturally injury free?

Ramjet/John: well done on the LTs - that is a really tough session.

NE: good luck with the LT run

Recovery run with a few strides for me at lunch today - feeling much better and the legs felt really good running at pace. Think I'll swerve the 7mi LT run now as I have Reading HM in 9 days time and that'll be a good enough replacement for it.

I'll probably do some 800m intervals tomorrow and then a 20 miler on Sunday to get myself back into things again. Hopefully this few days of rest have helped me lose a bit of fatigue and I'll feel fresh next week.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    24mi done in 3 hours earlier. Feel wiped out and actually a bit nauseous now. Don't like long runs. Had a run in with a lorry which I'll tell you more about when I recover.