• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sunday 11 March - Surrey Half Marathon: 
                                  G-Dawg - sub 1.26
                                  Lorenzo - sub 1:28
                                  SBD - sub 1:30 (MP Run)

Sunday 18 March - Ashby 20
                                  DT mara pace plus 10-15 seconds per mile

Sunday 25 March - Cranleigh 21
                                  G-Dawg MP tester                                                           

Liverpool Vitality half

DT- Sub 1.24

Friday 30 March  - Maidenhead 10 miles
                                  Lorenzo - 66:xx
                                  PMJ - 65.xx

Sunday 08 April  - Jersey Spring 10k
                                 GM - 38:30

Sunday 15 April - Brighton Marathon
                                SBD - Sub 3:10

Sunday 22 April - London Marathon
                                G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                DT -Too early to say yet
                                Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)
                                Nicko1981 (tentative) - sub 3.10

Sunday 6 May Richmond HM
                             MsE

Sunday 20 May  - Sutton 10K:
                                MsE

• AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    GerardM - it's the old railway line between Buxton and Bakewell, which has several tunnels that have been re-opened over the past couple of years. The ice stalactites had formed from water coming through the roof bricks and had just recently started to thaw - hence the debris on the floor. We found ourselves trying to run quietly as we went past so as to not cause any more falling objects!
  • Birch, Gul Darr, DT19 - Thanks for the advice.

My 'A' race is Newport marathon so I won't tamper with the training but will take 3 days easy before the Half as part of a recovery week and then push on for the final tough 3 weeks + 2 taper of training.

I'm shooting for sub 1:30 but I'll see how the legs hold up on the back of averaging +60 mile weeks for the previous 7 weeks....assuming the next 2 weeks go to plan! :-)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

MP run over lunchtime was a slightly laboured effort, in that I just feel a bit knackered suddenly at the minute.

Pleasingly as it was a staple run for me I can use the strava comparison tool which basically showed that in terms of HR v pace, it was marginally my best effort coming in at 6.38 for 160. Same run start of February came in 6.39 for 161, but that was essentially my first weeks proper training so I was fresh as a daisy back then.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

DT - Nice target for your Vitality half.

Andy - I'm not sure where either of those places are but water and cake springs to mind. :;

I've found myself another hilly 5k route to run on at lunch time. It was a glorious day, vest and shorts weather and I fancied a change from running with the masses (all twenty runners who usually run along the prom at lunch). The 1st half of this route is almost all uphill with one very steep section, an 8% gradient for the hill which is about 500m from the top to the bottom and I struggled a bit to begin with and was trying to avoid the idiot drivers speeding up that side road as well. It's pretty much entering country lanes and lovely looking down on the seafront and across the ploughed fields once you reach the top, the 1st crop of Jersey Royal spuds will be up soon. Such a stark contrast to last week when it was sub zero and horrible with snow! I felt good today and decided to keep a bit of effort in it and the mile splits came out at 7:17, 6:24, 5:34 and 5:05 for the last bit. I like that new route a lot and will probably feature a lot on my lunch runs when I want to escape from the masses.

OO - I can't see your name on the race list. Are you doing Barca this w/end? I'm seriously tempted by it for next year.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey, GM! Did Mo Farah run past and nick your watch on the final two splits!?  :D
    #SpeedySpuds #Roasting
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

A 5.34 mile, pretty sharp running!

Gerard, I figure I am in at least equivalent shape to when I Run 83.39 in Worcester in September. I really want to run sub 83 to start thinking about being in sub 3 shape, but not sure that is a step too optimistic. The conditions could have a big part as the last 3 miles in Liverpool is along the promenade and if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, it's apparently very tough going.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - That's jogging pace for Mo. :wink: Although looking at my movescount data I peaked at 3:48mm coming down the hill. 

DT - You never know, I hope the weather plays ball. We have a promenade here which features in a lot of the races and the last 4 miles or so of the local mara is along there and the last year I did it in 2015, it was into a 25mph headwind. Horrible at that stage of the race. Fingers crossed for you. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A Sub 83 sounds like a nice target DT19 and would give you the confidence to go for the Sub 3.

Fast stuff Gerard - was that on the downhill stretch?

Good confidence boosting run for me today.  The plan was for 15 miles and with the calfs still a bit tight after yesterday's sports massage the objective was just to get the miles done without the legs complaining.   After the first couple of miles everything seem to loosen up nicely and despite trying to curb the enthusiasm the legs just wanted to go faster.  Ended up with an average pace of 7:29 with the last couple of miles (slightly downhill) at 6:30 m/m.  Not quite in the Gerard league but quite fast for me and more importantly feeling pretty refreshed at the end. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    As we saw from Nicko, this year's Brighton half proved very difficult due to wind direction at the end. Of course if its behind me I'll be cruising. 

Good 15, SBD. 

I've never spent so much time training almost exclusively at such easy paces. It's amazing how quickly perception changes in that I look at that 15 at that pace and couldn't imagine doing it. But then I've also never run this volume of miles and seem to be progressing so no need to worry at present. I think after London, I'll need to spend 2 months following a 10k schedule just to mix it up. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    DT19 - will you mini-taper for next weekend's HM?
    GM - 3:48 m/m ? Even downhill, that's crazy fast.
    SBD - pleased to hear calfs okay. Good MLR too.
    6 miles this morning with 16 x 200m (approx - just counting strides). 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, Yes on the basis that the sunday before will be the Ashby 20 so quite a big session as well the fact I will have done pretty much 7/8 straight weeks of full on training. I'll badge it more as a recovery week than a taper, but the outcome will be the same.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SBD - About 500m is down the steep hill, according to my data the last .8 of a mile was at sea level. I think the momentum enabled me to run fast and it felt good, so it was pleasing to see the last k and a bit was the fastest split. Nice 15 by yourself. I would die right now if I tried to run 15 miles!

Gul - I've come close to under 4mm in the past albeit down a steep hill before, but never under. Movescount (Suunto App) data had my top speed at 16mph! Only lasted about 10 seconds though as I was dodging speeding careless car drivers and it was the steepest bit.

Was supposed to be sunny here today but it's grey and damp. Will pop out for an easy jaunt on lunch though.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gerard that is impressive pace!

Warwick Half has been rescheduled to 8th April which I think is too close to London. The other option is to defer to Blenheim palace half on 30th September. However I was considering (depending on how London goes) having a crack at a GFA time in the Autumn. Dilemma!

Hill sprints for me tonight, with tomorrows 3 mile run to collect my girlfriends car and Saturday's 20 miler I think this could be my first 50 mile week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Steviewh- It depends on the deal with Warwick. If they are telling you its run on the 8th or lose it then whilst it is definitely too close to run flat out, it would be a great mp tester in race conditions, perhaps gradually raise to mp over first 3 miles then run 10 at mp. Add on a 2 mile cd and its a decent 15 miles with 10 at mp. If you feel 10 is a bit much then do 8.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - You could still race that HM. One of the P&D schedules has a 10k race and a 16 miler the following day on their 55pw schedule for that week of a Mara plan (end of taper week 1).
    Also, PMJ on here correctly states that it takes a week to ten days for a speed session to fully load into the system, so you should be OK as long as you know that you usually recover well?

Alternatively, DT has also come up with a solid idea.

Decisions, eh?  :)
  • GerardM - ridiculous mile splits!!!

I took a rare venture out to the track at lunchtime for 7 x 800m repeats off 2 min recovery.

Happy with my splits which ranged between 2:55 to 3:02. Wasn't completely flat out as didn't want to blow up but was pleasantly surprised that my last rep was the fastest.

+34.5 miles so far this week. I plan 8-10 easy tomorrow night and then 16 (at MP+30secs) on Sunday.

Saturday I'm at Loughborough watching my eldest girl (12 years old) run for Wiltshire in the 'XC Inter-Counties Championships'...proud Dad! No doubt I'll clock up some recovery miles walking round the course!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice 800 work, RG. Good luck to the Gasette this weekend. 

Interesting track session tonight. I ducked the pyramid planned and coach suggested 4 x 1 mile reps at HMP with 1 min recoveries. I find the track quicker than the road and the splits averaged 6.17. The feel was good and felt sustainable. I won't do that pace on the road but the intensity was manageable and a good sign for Sunday. We'll see.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good track work G-D and RG.

StevieW -  If it's 3 weeks out from London that might be your last chance (assuming a conventional 3 week taper) for a long run.  You could incorporate the HM within a 20/22 mile run and not get too hung up on racing the HM flat out.

Double recovery today - 9K in Hyde Park at lunch time during the training course lunch break and then 7K on the TM back in the gym this evening.  Regent's Park used to be my regular lunch time run when I worked in London but today was the first time I've run in Hyde Park.  Very pleasant!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard you were fairly moving ,how did you get so fast ! Mr Bannister would be proud .
    DT19 sub 83 is a great goal as is sub 3 !
    SBD 7:29 over 15 clicks is excellent .
    Stevie 50 mile/week  is decent running  and definitely mara pace some of that half.
    Running gas 3 min reps is good going and proud dad indeed !
    Gdawg sub 83 in the half then ,no pressure lol.

First run of the week here (yea I know  :(   ) 7.5 with the club with 30 min tempo which came out about 7:40 ish so making some progress ...Legs hurting now .

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    R.Gas - have a great day at Loughborough - the big XC events are great - I hope R.Gas junior goes well . . . .
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think as its two weeks out from London and my first marathon I will err on the side of caution and follow @DT19 s advice and run at MP. The option is run on the 8th, defer to Blenheim or lose it. Will just have to be disciplined with myself and not chase the big PB I could get.

Good hill sprints last night, managed to take 6 seconds off my previous best time which isn't too bad for a 240m climb.

3m easy this afternoon then 21 mile long run tomorrow
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to be clear in the mind and have a solid plan StevieWH. Nice one!  B)

Enjoy that 21. I have a very rare Saturday lie-in planned.   :)
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sorry, I get little time to post now but continue to mostly lurk. However I have to report on an interesting 3 weeks of racing scheduled. First of is a 39.3 ultra marathon starting tomorrow at 7am. Then next Saturday I have a 6 hr ultra marathon, although I might only run about 27 miles. The following Saturday I have a half marathon race. Finally 3 weeks from today I begin the Belfast to Dublin 108 mile ultra! Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it all. :)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Incredible miles BB- take care of yourself.

Yes Gerard I'm not great with lists but its Barca Marathon this weekend. Looks like a hot one- lucky I did all that training in snow! I'm pacing a friend round in 4 hours so just a long training run really. Should land around 60 miles, for the third week in a row.    

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That does sound exhausting Badbark!

Have a good run in Barca, OO.

I was going to take half day today and run a  20, however loads of people are off sick so I have deferred to Monday. Means this weeks mileage will be low.

I decided to do something fast over lunch and as I work right by the local parkrun I thought I would try and run a parkrun pb as a 'freedom run'. I failed and discovered that running 5k pb pace is very difficult on your own when you don't have any purpose to keep going. I came in 18.44 which is 20 seconds short. Reasonable workout though.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - Great mile reps, you're looking fast! 

DT - That's a corker of a lunch 5k. 

Stevie - Sounds sensible. I hope you have a good long run. 

OO - Enjoy the warmth, I'm not envious at all. ;)

Leslie - Good progress. 

SBD - Sounds like you had a very pleasant outing. I love a double scoop myself. :) 

RunningGas -  Enjoy the XC and good luck to your daughter.

Badbark - How you fit in all in is beyond me. I'm not surprised you don't get time to post. Please do let us know how you get on. 

Rest day here today. Have a bit of a grumbly left knee, feels a bit stiff. Doing a charity treadmill run tomorrow, will be my 2nd ever treadmill run. Can't say I'm excited about it, but it's for a good cause. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - hill sprints is a great session - if you can find a hill. Enjoy the long run.
    RunningGas  - good intervals and finishing strong too. I'm sure you'll have a great day at the XC.
    GD - good work on the track.
    SBD - nice park running.
    Leslie - keep at it.
    Badbark - all the best with your racing - sounds gruelling.
    DT19 - good freedom parkrun. I will have to try that sometime.
    GM - good luck with the dreadmill for charity and hope the knee holds up.
    6 easy miles yesterday and another 6 today including parkrun. It was the alternative course again today due to a flooded path after an overnight deluge. Finally beat my friend, overtaking him on the last lap to duck under 19mins in 18:56 by my watch (official time 18:53) and take 7th place. First sub 19 on the B route, which seems to be longer than the official route (which in turn is probably <5km). 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I ran the Shanes Castle ultra today, in nasty wet and windy weather. It was advertised as 39.3 but ended up 40.25 on my Garmin.  I was told later the course was measured by Map My Run. Teehee.

The day started badly with me losing one of my caffeine tablets before the race. I’d planned to take one 30 minutes before the start and one after 2 laps of the 3 lap course. Unfortunately, after realising I’d lost one I just took one after 20 miles. This ended up making miles 15 to 23 the toughest of the race.

After the first lap I was in 3rd place, within a minute of the leading pair David and Ricky. It took me 1:43 for 13.42 miles, including a 1 minute break at my car to refuel. Soon I began to struggle and David disappeared off out of sight.  I was so glad to final get my caffeine fix after 20 miles which kicked in nicely at about 23. My pace quickened and I finished the 2nd lap about 1 minute behind Ricky.

I only stopped at my car for seconds this time and finished the second lap in 1:47. My Garmin measure the so called Marathon distance at 26.85. I realised that the race was going to be over 40 miles. After about 30 miles I lapped a few guys I knew and I asked them how far ahead where the other two. They told me there was only one guy about 10 minutes ahead. Of course I took this with a pinch of salt.

With about 5 miles to go a marshal told me I was only about 3 minutes behind the leader. It dawned on me that Ricky must have had a pit stop after 2 laps and I hadn’t noticed. The next few miles were into a head wind and I looked back often in case I was being caught. I didn’t think much about the guy ahead as I didn’t want to bury myself with my ‘A’ race coming up in 20 days.

With two miles to go I could see a good 600m in the distance, on a straight but the leader was nowhere in sight. At the end of the straight I looked back and was relived to not see Ricky behind. I was feeling strong and maintained just under 8 minute mile pace.

I went through 39.3 miles in about 5:08 for a very unofficial PB. With a few hundred metres to go I noticed a guy approaching the finishing line. I passed the finish line myself in about 5:16, finishing 2nd place only about 1 minute behind the winner. I had completed the 3rd lap in 1:45 while he had taken 1:51, so I lost it while struggling in the 2nd lap.

Looking at the splits afterwards I was over 7 minutes behind at one point. However, I’m still very pleased with 2nd place averaging 7:51 for over 40 miles. It was after all just a training run, having not tapered or carbo loaded. I had run 5 x 1 mile intervals on Tuesday, did heavy squats on Wednesday and did 10 hill sprints on Thursday. So today was perfect training for the Dublin to Belfast.

I’m going to enjoy a wee drink or three tonight. :) 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A well deserved drink Badbark!

Well done on the Sub 19 PR and beating your friend Gul.  Which was most rewarding of the two?

Have fun on the TM Gerard - but don't get too fond of it or it'll stalk you for the rest of your life!

Always tougher without company DT19 but pretty speedy nonetheless.

Good to luck any mad Englishman running in the Spanish mid-day sun tomorrow!

10K recovery for me on the TM - all nice and relaxed.

Surrey HM tomorrow and conditions are looking good.  The question is thermal or vest only?

Good luck Lorenzo and G-D.  Just a MP run for me, so hopefully under 1:30.