Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Awesome effort, BB.  Eat all the food now.  Briefly dropping in to with GD and Lorenzo best of luck in their target time attempts tomorrow.  And that SBD has a successful MP run. Sorry I am not with you at the Surrey HM after all. Battling a niggly left foot (it's meant to be the decent one FFS!) in coming back from my Christmas injury. I'll get there by hook or by crook!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Go well racers tomorrow!

Gul
    - Excellent parkrun. It's great to see you getting some reward for your dedicated training miles. 

Badbark - Drink like an Irishman tonight! Great stuff! 

MsE - I so feel for you. You do everything most runners don't and can't seem to catch a break. I hope it's nothing. 

SBD - Haha, have no fear, it's a once a year thing for me. Can't say I enjoyed it, although you couldn't tell from the pic below. A senior citizen lady said I'll put more cash in if the men take their tops off! :smiley:
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

You look like you're enjoying it Gerard! Did you oblige with the top?

Sorry to hear about the niggly foot MsE - you are overdue some good luck.

Conditions pretty good at Woking HM (light winds and pretty mild) and we had Scott Overall to lead us around the course.

A 5 mile warm up brought me back to the start with 10 minute to go, so just time for a quick swig of the Sports Drink and then in to the race.

I'd planned to run at a steady pace, c. 4.05-4:10 m/km, but got a bit carried away in the 4th kilometre with the pace dipping below 4:00.  Went through 10K in 40:42 but struggled to maintain the pace in the second half particularly on the hills (must do more hilly runs!).

Crossed the line in 1:26:54.  Pretty happy with that.  A couple of miles warm down to give 21 miles for the day and 82 for the week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great going SBD, clearly in great shape. Excellent.

Good conditions for it at the Surrey Half today, a bit of a breeze in places but more cooling than a hinderence.

Happy to report a new PB of 1.25.33, a minute off. Average pace of 6.31.
    Was 5th in age category and got my biggest ever WAVA score of 78.27.

I sometimes find myself getting lazy on these events so I set myself the challenge of getting every spilt under 6.40 which I managed, 6.38 was my slowest and 6.23 the quickest (mile 13).

There are a couple of slow inclines on the course and I picked my battles carefully. Course knowledge meant I knew where I could gain and where I should give some back.
    Really pleased with course management today.

Great to meet Lorenzo at the end too. An all round good day.

Now for beer!!  :DB)

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the PB G-Dawg

Well done on the great time and high mileage week SBD
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Gul - fine "parkracing"  

MsE - tough luck again with the niggle - maybe you need to rethink your (many) supplementary activities ;):) 

SBD, Gdawg - great halves - congrats on pb, GD, & good miles tagged on, SBD - top week's total !   

Badbark & Gerard - brilliant madness of differing types - and surely the main imbibing will take place next Saturday ?   

still slow here, but 49 for the week - 13.5 yesterday,  5.5 today, jogging around spectating at the Retford half (Gerard - you asked which half John was doing) - he bagged 4th in a big pb of 72:56, so a beer was enjoyed back here in Sheff.  
  • Quick check in as I've got to go and sort out the Sunday roast!

More madness from Madbark - we expect nothing less!!

Glad you're having fun on the TM GM.

Hope your foot recovers soon MsE - I'm looking forward to joining you for another trail run before long.

Fab stuff from G-Dawg at the Surrey Half - I could tell from our conversation how delighted he was and deservedly so. A recalibration of target for London methinks.

Great going as well from SBD - we must have been running very close to one another. What club top did you have on?

Both SBD and G-Dawg have summed up the event well so I'll complete the trio of very happy runners.

Wasn't feeling terribly positive about things at the start as I'd had a tiring week and only one day of rest in the previous fortnight, but on the positive side I'd been running well during the week including a good rep session on Tuesday, and a fun and easy outing in the test run of the Mole Valley parkrun (more like a XC course, but it's going to be a fantastic run if anyone's up for a more challenging, not flat parkrun) yesterday.

Probably took me about 45s to cross the start line and I glided past the 1:30 pacers and was feeling pretty relaxed at sub 6:40 pace (or 20 mins for each 3 miles). I only race with a stopwatch rather than a Garmin to avoid getting distracted so I just stayed focussed on running form and consistent pace.

In a nutshell I think I was pretty consistent all the way round and ended up with a chip time of 1:26:49 which is less than 20s short of my PB which was over 4 years ago on a pancake flat course and proper taper.

It's also my highest ever WAVA score (77.1%) at any distance and gives me a little bit more confidence that 3:05 might just be possible at London.

Happy days!! :)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done on the PB G-D - excellent pacing.

It looks like you crossed the line 6 seconds after me Lorenzo!  Another 200m and you would have had me.  I'm clubless and was wearing black vest and shorts.  A well judged race by you and an excellent time.

So looks like the wooden spoon for me!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great to see such speedy times from the Surrey Half racers.  Onwards and upwards for the full monty.  Delighted to see a nearly PB for Lorenzo.  Excellent MP pacing from SBD.  And couldn't be happier for GD (did you hang fire till mile 8 and then drop the hammer??)

BB - incredible racing.  Well done.

An easy and muddy 10 for me today to round off my first week under the direction of RJ, a 33.6 mile week over 4 runs.  RJ has me running 4 times and biking 3 times a week to try get these niggles to settle down. I am hoping it will work!  Just one pool running outing, two strength sessions and three core sessions this week, Birch.  But noted!  Good to see you back at it. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I must be tired. I am repeating myself congratulating BB. MrE went off for a ski week and I have had a rather tiring day. On to another week tomorrow, folks. Wishing you all a fruitful and injury-free week of running.  Go get 'em!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wow, MsE!! How did you know!?  :D

I made sure the longer inclines were done and then powered on from around 7/8 miles. Some bumps slowed me a tad which levelled my splits but yeah, you called it!!  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well done on the parkrun, Gul.

Gerard, you look like you were enjoying the treadmill. 

Birch, well done to your son (?) @ Retford. 

Mse,  hope the foot clears soon.

SBD, that's a great days running with that time in amongst those miles. What are you thinking now re Mara pace on the day?

G-dawg, great days work. Just reward for lots of hard and consistent training. 3.10 and beyond is looking probable.

Lorenzo, great run as well. 20 seconds off pb in a half is a mere 2 seconds a mile so very little. I think you can justifiably target 3.05. 

Great wava scores as well.

Easy weekend for me. Friday night was rugby club quiz so a bit squiffy yesterday. Managed 10 miles at around 7.55 pace.Then today being mothers day I've been fully occupied. squeezed in 5 with strides at recovery effort. I was pleased to see it come in at 7.58 for 139 hr which looking on strava is my best performance on what is a regular loop.

This week should be a big week ending in Ashby 20. After that things start edging back as races come to the fore. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - That's a fantastic time by your boy. He really has taken his running to a new level. Isn't he doing Manc mara? Well earned ales! No imbibing on Saturday as I have the final trail race of the series and it's the most brutal of the three! Another solid weekly total from you. Keep it going.

Well done to the HM boys! Great running and G-Dawg I bet you must have been chuffed. Knew you were on for a fast one if the conditions were ok.

Lorenzo - Very good performance, bodes well for London indeed.

SBD - That's a good half especially after a huge week.

DT - Still a decent weekend of running with all the other stuff going on.

I had a free afternoon yesterday as my boy went to his Mum's for lunch, so I decided to get out for a long run (my version of long) and recorded my longest run of 2018 bagging 10.5 miles on a really hilly route through the beautiful countryside and down to one of my favourite little bays on the island. It was stunning and really nice and mild. Spring has definitely sprung as it was close to 16c over the weekend.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone at the weekend, some excellent times! I need to get some races booked in after London to start knocking off some PB's.

Saturdays long run was the best one so far. 21.7 miles in just under 3 hours, felt like I was flying and could run forever at that pace. Even managed to come up a hill at mile 20 at under MP and a sprint finish at the end. 51 miles for the week which is my highest total yet.

Going to get some medium MP runs in over the next couple of weeks now to get used to the pace for London.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - excellent performance as usual  - shame about the caffeine.
    SBD  - that's very good going for a MP run on a hilly course. I was very pleased with the sub 19 and looking forward to running on the shorter route again.
    MsE - hope those niggles disappear for good soon.
    GM - you could use that photo for a caption competition. Nice hilly run to counter-balance the boredom of the dreadmill.
    GD - congratulations! Excellent racing and a well deserved PB. I'd say there's more to come too as I don't think you're completely over that lurgy yet.
    Birch - good miles and well done to John - very impressive PB.
    Lorenzo - well done, that should be a good confidence booster.
    DT19 - well done squeezing in the miles in a busy weekend.
    StevieWh - great long running and good miles.
    13 mile MLR to start the week for me (rest on Sunday). A progressive warm-up and then 5 or 6 miles @ MP to finish.

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I managed to get in my biggest mileage this week(54), but struggled in the last 3 miles of my 20 mile long run yesterday.  I was meant to do do a 20 mile race yesterday but my legs were tired from the steady/threshold runs I had done in the days before, so decided I probably would be doing more harm than good trying to race even some of it.  

I have a half marathon next week which I will run 7 miles before to make it upto 20.  Hope to do a few miles at MP at the end.   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Surrey racers. All Cooking nicely for marathon season. We’ll call that a PB then Lorenzo ;)
    well done to your son Birch that’s a really top performance.
    I ran a gentle Barca marathon with a friend who really struggled from 20, but happy with his 4:16 for his first Mara.
    I’ll probably ease back a bit this week.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

SBD, that's a great days running with that time in amongst those miles. What are you thinking now re Mara pace on the day?
    I'm still pretty relaxed on goal time.  The main focus is to stay injury free.  My last marathon was in 2013 and I set-off at 3:00 pace but ended up with a painful 3:14 (1:32/1:42).  I'm in a lot better shape this year, so beating the 3:05 from Brighton 2010 (my first marathon) would be nice but getting under 3 hours (I ran 2:58 in my second marathon) is probably not a realistic goal.  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MrSoft - probably a wise decision to hold back. Good miles for the week. What sort of mileage are you aiming at this week?
    OO - well done, I'm sure your friend greatly appreciated your encouragement.
    SBD - very sensible. I'm sure it will pay off if you can stick to it!
    7 mile recovery run this morning.
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I will be aiming for around 46 this week. My biggest week for mileage was the 53 last week so gives me 5 weeks to step down the mileage to the marathon itself(Brighton).  It will be 46,43,40 and then last 2 weeks to go drops to 26 and last week not a lot.  

I don't think I will be able to do sub 3.15 now, but I will still train at those paces for threshold and steady runs but adjust the marathon pace within my remaining long runs.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mr Soft, good mileage and a sensible decision on the race.

Having missed most of January through injury, I am still mentally progressing on the basis that February was January and I still have ages. It's quite disconcerting when I think I only have 3 weeks training before tapering.

oo- Well done on staying with and helping your friend home in Barca.

SBD- A marathon is tough when that happens. I think in Birminham in the Autumn I set out at sub 3 and did 1.28.45 (ish) and 1.37 ish. Its horrible when those that have got it right start coming by you looking strong.

I'm on half day today (deferred from Friday) to get a long run in. Will take it nice and easy as I have Ashby 20 on Sunday. Assuming those two are bagged that's the magic 5 x 20. I'll probably get one more in over Easter weekend then.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Been away for a while and far too much to catch up on here!

Well done to all those who had good training or race results over the past week and a half. Wish I could say that I kept up the pattern - however my plans to run 3 times while out in Austria skiing turned into 0 runs and a lot of drinking, which hits extra hard after 2 months dry!

First run back today since the 14mi dreadmill session during the snow - pushed to just over 15 miles at around 8:10 with some hills thrown in and a wee bit of mud; not the most pleasant feeling but good to get it done.

Hopefully I can bounce back into it quickly; can't get 5 x 20+ in before London now; so hopefully 4 will do it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    welcome back, Nicko. It'll feel good again after a few runs.

21 miles this afternoon. kept it very easy given ive got Ashby sunday. I do however want to run it tired as I want the last 5 miles to be tough going. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I'm sure the extended cross-training in Austria will have done you good nicko.

Good work on the 20's DT19.  Hopefully, the weather doesn't get in the way of your Ashby plans.

Which start are you running from at Brighton MrSoft? Having run the mass start in 2010 with the initial climb, I'm looking forward to the fast start this year!

Good recovery miles Gul.

Well done on Barcelona OO - how did you find miles 20-26 at that pace?

Interval session on the track today - almost spring like weather with just a moderate breeze getting in the way. Five sets of 1K, with splits of 3:49, 3:49, 3:49, 3:44 and 3:44, 16K in total.  Heart rate a bit lower than expected (only just going over 170, whereas I would expect 175-180) so must try and push harder next time!

Need a 10K race on Saturday but the only relevant event I can find is a HM at Eton Dorney.  Could run this as 5K w/u, 10K race and 6.1K w/d but the expected windy conditions are not selling this to me at the moment!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul nice to go sub 19 at last
    Gerard you look like you are enjoying tha dreadmill too much.
    SBD a good time in a very big week, looking good for a fast mara.
    Gdawg can't beat a shiny new pb.
    MSE damn you are busy training/strenthening !!!
    Lorenzo good to see you are right back in form again.
    0054 nice accidental mara !
    Great running and racing everyone.

5x1000 with the club last night started off too fast then suffered a lot for it in later reps, and huge doms later on ...being unfit isn't much fun lol

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MrSoft - sounds like a good plan.
    DT19 - 2 x 20+ in 1 week will be some going.
    nick - hopefully not lost too much fitness.
    SBD - great inteval session. Hope you can find a 10k.
    Leslie - good effort with the 1k reps. I checked and 18:53 is my second best parkrun, so pretty pleased with that.
    10 miles today with alternating LT / LT+30s mile efforts. I think that's the first time I've tried that kind of session and it was quite difficult judging the pace. 2 mile w/u (8:20, 7:39) then 6:48, 6:56, 6:32, 6:59, 6:20, 6:55, 6:27 and 1 mile w/d (7:48).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It'll come back, Leslie. I think the hardest part when trying to get back is to accept that your various paces need to be downgraded briefly.

Gul, Nice morning run.

I've done it a couple of times before, in that i've done a long run on a sunday and then due to weekend plans I've done the next weeks long on Friday. It is just that this week they fall into the same week.

Legs feel pretty good today which is pleasing. I was looking back over my strava last night and I realised I haven't had a rest day since the 31st January. Very unlike me as I normal ensure 1 a week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

It was really weird SBD. Especially everyone shouting encouragement each time we walked- as if I was the one struggling. I was glad to help but will not be doing again. I think I would have enjoyed a comfortable 3:30 far more.

Back at it after 2 days rest. Glorious weather in Geneva today.

Wecome back nicko- very tough on the dreadmill...     

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great running Gul, that seems a good session.

DT that's an impressive run streak!

10k tempo last night in 42.10 which is my fastest ever. Feel like I could push harder than that as well, especially in daylight and race conditions. As long as my legs are ok after London I'll be running Birmingham 10k so will be nice to post a big PB.

10m easy tonight and then 6 x mile repeats on the track tomorrow. Think I'm going to aim to start at 6.30 for the first couple and then work down from there.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Swift work there Stevie, nice!

Rest day today...REST DAAAAYY!!!  B)

Had a cheeky 4 mile recovery session on Monday. The Surrey HM seemed to leave me with a dead leg feeling on my left thigh. Rolled it with different rollers and went for a 10 miler last night as I eased back into the London mara plan. Felt surprisingly comfy last night as we chatted our way around in 7.10 pace.

Leg felt OK after a few miles and is even better today, more rolling tonight.

Checked my stats for Sunday it seems I also scored new PBs for 10k and and 10 miles. I think I'd better get signed up to more races so I can claim those PBs for real.