New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

I’m having a very hectic time at the moment and can hardly even find the time to check in on here, however I’m very conscious that I haven’t posted on here for ages so thought I’d quickly drop by and say Hi to everyone, I promise to catch up with everyone’s posts soon and comment more fully. Running-wise I’ve finally been able to get out for a few runs this week as the snow has almost all gone now. I first ran last Thursday (4.5 miles) but in trail shoes, and slowly, as there was still quite a bit of snow and ice, then again on Saturday (parkrun still cancelled due to weather) I did 6 miles again quite slowly and again in trail shoes but not quite so icy/slushy then, and yesterday managed 7 miles almost all snow having gone. Another of our club events was cancelled last week, but the last XC of the season (which had to be cancelled a couple of weeks ago) has been rearranged for Saturday, but Steve can’t take me so if I can get a lift from a club mate I hope to get to that. It feels great to be able to get out running again, lets hope that is the end of the bad weather and spring is just around the corner.   
  • Morning all,

Mrcharley, hope Mrs C continues to recover well from her operation.
    Running 10k, when your intention was 5k, must have been a bit of a bonus.

Red, 100 miles over the weekend, you are a super star  :)

Aquarius, good news that the snow has nearly all gone now, and that you are able to get out running again. Hope you are able to get to the cross country on Saturday.

I went for another road run yesterday, but didn't enjoy it. I ran 6 miles and it was most uninspiring. Will be back running in the forest again on Thursday, hopefully with Giuliana, who I haven't run with for ages.
    Had a good spin session this morning, which concluded with two 10 second HIIT efforts. As an experiment, I tried a walk/jog home after the session, instead of just walking. It's quite strange, trying to jog on rubber legs. I don't know how the tri athletes manage to run after their cycle leg, but hopefully DBIW  will give me some tips. I'm not thinking of doing a tri though  :o

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

Been expecting DOMS to attack today but amazingly I'm walking well and my toes seem to have forgiven me for making them run around on concrete and mud! My official finish time was 26:52:23 (I'd guessed at 28 hours as my finish time so was very pleased with that). There were 89 of us who started but only 53 of us finished and there were 20 people behind me all of whom were much younger so feeling rather proud atm  :D

TE, a forest run will cheer you up.

Aquarius, on my drive over into Kent on Friday afternoon I was amazed to see massive piles of snow still lingering in the fields.
  • mrcharlymrcharly ✭✭✭
    Blimey, red. Is that running time or total elapsed time? You are a complete running nutter! Red squirrel nutkin nutter, I dub thee!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    mrcharly, that was my running time, or rather run/walk time which is also the time elapsed! The cut-off was 32 hours.
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Redhead: I'd say you've stolen the show this week. I had to have a lie down just thinking about it. Donation made to your Virgin Money page. Well done!
  • Morning all,

No spin session today as I have an appointment with the Hygienist.

Red, once again great respect for your amazing achievements  :)  

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What a glorious sunny day it is. I'd go for a run but I don't think my body would forgive me so instead we went for a 3 mike walk along a muddy trail just to stretch out a bit. Very pleased that the only things bothering me at all are my toes which are a bit tingly which is understandable really.

Exhausted, thank you so much. I really appreciate your support xxx

I finally finished my bloggage yesterday so it's here if you're interested but be warned, it's a very long read! http://www.extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - trust you enjoyed your rest after your 4 day run/spin streak. I was swearing at Aylesbury as I drove through (well, not at the town but at the irritating idiots who cut me up by pulling in front of me at the last moment). I must admit, it's so long since I read NME or Melody Maker I can't remember when I did stop buying either. I've never tried running after a cycle session but my triathlete friend has told me several times how difficult it is to adapt.

HeatherKnight12 - you've been reported - now f**k off you annoying spammer (doing that doesn't do any good but it allows me to let off steam!)

Glo2 - 5 miles is about my maximum on a treadmill, regardless of if I have any entertainment to hand. 

MrCharly - oops re the unplanned 10k run.

Red - well done for finishing your ultra. No DOMS? - lucky you! Great time for the 100 miles and well done for beating some of those young whippersnappers ;)

Aquarius - hope things calm down a bit for you soon. Well done for getting out a few times in the inclement weather (don't want to worry you but they appear to be promising more snow).

<Fanfare> - I've finally found that led head-lamp I 'lost' a few months ago. It seems I 'filed' it in the zip-up pocket on the front of my bum-bag and then promptly forgot that I had done that. Still hunting for my set of boules (in fact, off into the loft very shortly - using my led head-lamp which I have re-discovered!).

I didn't manage to run on Saturday as planned - I visited my son instead so went out on Mon morning. It was another 5ml 'plod' and harder work than it ought to have been (and my slowest time on that route!). Hopefully I will start improving soon instead of getting slower! ;)

My next session will be the club run on Thu morning. Although the Cheltenham Festival is on all this week the timings mean I should be able to get to the run before the bulk of race-goers arrive (and the road is closed) and on my way back home, whilst it will be a bit slower than usual, at least the road will be open and I won't need to follow any diversions.

Oh, and not wishing to blow my own trumpet or anything but my email to Radio Times bemoaning the current 'fashion' for splitting tv programmes into bite-sized five minute chunks, mixing up stories then filling the time with mentions of what's coming up and endless recaps of what's been on has been published in next week's issue. Not that the programme-makers in question will take any notice of my criticism ..
  • Morning all,

Red, glad that you seem to be recovering well from your epic run, and are walking rather than running, for a few days. I'll have a look at your updated blog later.

WtnMel, thanks, I enjoyed my rest day, but did an 8 mile run in the forest yesterday with Giuliana. The forest is unable to absorb all the rain that has fallen lately, so is flooding the fields. We walked, waded, squelched through mud and occasionally ran  :/
    I commented on your Aylesbury driving experiences on the fetch over 50 thread.
    Congratulations for getting an article published in the Radio Times.

Today is a rest day, and as usual is bright and sunny. There is a yellow snow warning for the south, and the Eastleigh 10k, which many of my club members have entered, have received an email advising that they are considering cancelling it for health and safety reasons. They will confirm by midday tomorrow. Apparently, the wind chill factor will make it feel like minus 6 degrees. :#

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hmmm .. couldn't find my set of boules in the loft or the garage. Having exhausted all potential hiding places I can think of (under-stairs cupboard, wardrobe, loft, shed, garage etc.) I'm beginning to wonder if brought them with me when I moved in with Margaret. Perhaps I left them at my house and they're sitting gathering dust there somewhere. Ho hum. Just as well the person organising the U3A boules has emailed to say don't worry about bringing your own - that would be a tad difficult for me right now ;)
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Afternoon all,

A glorious day here and we've been out and about enjoying the countryside ahead of the snow (!!!) forecast for the weekend. Another walk planned for Saturday then perhaps a wee jog on Sunday unless we have the white stuff!

WtnMel, I think you took them with you but have put them somewhere too safe to find!

TE, your forest run didn't sound like much fun.  Hope your event isn't cancelled tomorrow.

Have a lovely weekend everyone and please take care if the weather is horrid.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Rain rain go away, come again another day. Or on second thoughts don’t bother. It’s rained here constantly since Wednesday lunchtime and shows no signs of letting up today either. It’s also very windy and bitterly cold, and now they say snow is on it’s way back. This really isn’t playing the game Mr Weather.

I’ve decided to give the XC a miss tomorrow partly due to the threat of snow on top of this incessant rain (we were warned a week ago that the course was particularly muddy, so heaven knows what it will be like now), but also because of the logistics of trying to organise a lift there and back. Steve can’t take me this time as he needs to be at the sailing club to help move the boats from the boathouse onto the beach and also clean up the beach for the start of the sailing season. However he can take me over to the coast where I was hoping to get a lift from a club mate to and from the XC, then on return Steve could pick me up on his way home, but its all proving too difficult to organise so I’ve decided instead just to go with him to the coast in the morning and have a run there while he sorts out the boats. 

HS your squelchy forest run didn’t sound like much fun, the fields around here are flooded too (and some still have snow on them) I think they’ll take some time to dry out. It’s not very nice for us runners, but must be a hundred times worse for the poor farmers. I was talking to one of my neighbours a couple of days ago (as we have all moved into our houses in the last few months we are just getting to know each other). My neighbour was getting out of his car wearing what I took to be running gear (t shirt, shorts, trainers) so I asked him if he’d been for a run. It turns out he’s not a runner but a spinning class instructor! He was telling me of a couple of classes he takes at the local leisure centre and said he’d give me a free lesson one week if I wanted to give it a try. However he did warn me that he has the reputation of being a hard task master where spinning is concerned so I’m not too sure whether to give it a go or not.

WtnMel don’t you know it’s a fundamental law of physics that lost items generally cannot be found by looking for them. You have to loudly declare - “that’s it! I’m not looking for xxxx anymore” then a few weeks later the item in question turns up in a place where you could have sworn you’d already looked for it. Is that the first time you’ve submitted a letter to RT? Well done on being selected for publication, that’s almost the equivalent of being awarded a Blue Peter badge. 

Red I was reading your blog and words fail me. Where do you get the courage and determination to keep going when doing these gruelling events? I honestly don’t think I know anyone who has your commitment and drive. To say “well done” seems inadequate somehow.

Good luck to everyone running this weekend.
  • Morning all,

We have an amber warning for snow now. Those that entered the Eastleigh 10k will be advised by email by midday whether or not the race will go ahead. I hadn't entered and had planned to run today, but as the wind is blowing a gale, and the snow on the way, I won't risk it. The Oakhaven Half Marathon, which was cancelled a couple of weeks ago, is hopefully being rearranged for mid October. 

Red and Aquarius, I know our forest run didn't sound much like fun, but we enjoyed it. We weren't worried about pace, but just "getting the miles in!"

WtnMel, perhaps the set was lurking at the back of the removal van, and was overlooked during the unloading.

Aquarius, sounds a wise decision giving the cross country a miss. Give the spin session a go. Don't be put off by people telling you how tough it is. It's only as tough as you make it, and I highly recommend it. You will find that everyone has different levels of fitness, and you will probably be one of the fittest. I was very apprehensive about my first session, and just worked using the lowest resistance, and pedalling easily. You don't have to stand on the pedals when the others do, if you don't feel confident. I still don't on the advice of my physio. I prefer staying seated, as it makes it harder, and therefore more beneficial. The Instructor won't expect you to work hard during your first session, as it takes time to "get into it." It's like running in one way, in that you get out of training, what you put into it. If he tries to put the pressure on, threaten to beast him in a run, that will earn his respect. Good luck if you give it a try, and I hope you will discover the fitness benefits. You will need to take a small towel and bottle of water.

Just heard, the Eastleigh 10k has been cancelled.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Have you got snow? We've got what's-the-point-of-it stuff with flakes barely big enough to stick but tiresome enough to keep me indoors. The wind is pretty keen too. I did a short walk first thing as a token offering but am now huddled indoors with the cat and my knitting.

Aquarius, thank you so much for your kind words and the donation. You are wise to give the xc a miss today as it would just be unpleasant and there would be a high risk of injury in these conditions.

TE, glad to hear the 10k was cancelled.

Stay safe and warm everyone.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Our snow arrived yesterday afternoon and by this morning was starting to lie. However I went over to the coast as planned to do my 6 mile run, but there were blizzard conditions when I got there so only managed 3 miles. It must have been the worst conditions I’ve run in, the snow kept swirling around like funnels of steam, it was really weird. If it was blowing from the side it was difficult to keep to a straight line and if it was in your face the snow stung your eyes so much it was impossible to see. I had to walk a few times then just gave up and turned to run the other way. So glad I didn’t attempt the XC.

HS thanks for the advice regarding spin classes. I haven’t seen that neighbour since (he lives a few doors away, he’s not my next door neighbour) but the next time I see him I’ll ask when his classes are and try to arrange to get to one to try it out. I’ll let you know how I get on. 

Red, I think being huddled indoors today is the best thing to do. I’ve just got back from my run and the kettle is about to go on……..
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Snow now lying, probably about 6 inches deep and still falling (horizontally at times due to strong winds). No running for me today, looks like another exercise bike session. A lot of local races have been  cancelled, this must be very frustrating for both organisers and runners.
    Hope everyone else is faring better with this weather. Although I expect Columba will have quite a bit of snow in Wales.
  • Morning all,

Its been snowing all night, and is still snowing now. It's deeper than expected, but not as deep as Aquarius is experiencing.
    The Eastleigh 10k, Fleet and Weymouth Half Marathons have been cancelled, and I'm not setting foot outside the door.

Aquarius, well done for running yesterday in blizzard conditions!

Red, hope you are not venturing out today!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

No running for me today even though our snow is only about 2" deep. The wind is horizontal and very, very cold. Happy to stay indoors with my knitting! The Sevenoaks 30 was cancelled which was not surprise as the poor marshalls would have been frozen standing around on the North Downs for hours on end.

Aquarius, I'm impressed that you even managed 3 miles in those conditions!

TE, you are a wise man xxx
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Red - don't blame you for getting out before the snow arrived.

Aquarius - don't blame you for giving the XC a miss. Reading about Steve cleaning the beach at the sailing club - my bowling club was looking for volunteers to de-weed the patio/paving prior to the green opening up in a few week's time (I haven't volunteered as I'm on clubhouse cleaning duty this week). Given HS's experiences I'd be inclined to give spinning a try even if you decide its not for you. Yes, it was my first letter to RT - since then I have also tweeted the presenter (Tori Herridge) explaining I'd given up on her programme and why. I figured if these tv people aren't aware they'll never know how irritating (for me at least) this style of presenting programmes is.

HS - they've cancelled a local HM some of my club-mates were doing and will re-schedule for later this year. I'm pretty sure the boules are somewhere - as Aquarius suggests, due to the fundamental laws of Physics I probably should declare them lost and then they are sure to turn up soon after ;)

I ran 5mls yesterday as I knew the snow was on it's way. Once again it seemed like hard work but I'll plod on and eventually my fitness should return. With it being so cold I wrapped up warm yesterday (thermal top, additional t-shirt, hi-viz jacket, leggings, woolly hat, gloves) but my friend Sam(antha) once of these 'ere parts (she used to post as Fairy Elephant) also went out but just dressed in shorts and t-shirt (she said she doesn't like to get too hot!). Rather her than me .. and today she's saying the snow is the type she has run on in the past and she's now wishing she had left her run until today.

Margaret is busy downstairs rustling up some soup - we'll have that for lunch before heading outside for a walk around the block and to get some air (the cold, blowy kind!).
  • Morning all,

It started snowing again yesterday evening, and continued during the night. Its stopped now, but is laying on the ground. I will consider whether or not to run, after walking to the supermarket.

Red, wiser and older I'm afraid  :/

WtnMel, well done for running yesterday, you put me to shame.

Hundreds of runners turned up for the Reading Half Marathon yesterday, only to be told that it had been cancelled. The decision was made too late to prevent many setting off. It's one of the biggest in the south, with thousands of entrants. The Organisers gave those that turned up, their t shirts and finishers medals, by way of compensation. I believe that they will try to hold it again at a later date.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Ditto everything from yesterday except it's even colder and there's lots of ice around! No running but will be using housework as cross-training (now that's desperation for you!!!).

TE please take care on the slippery pavements.

I remember heading off to the Tunbridge Wells half many years ago when there was no snow at home. By the time I was 3/4 of the way there I was driving into heavy snow and stopped to phone the organisers. No reply or message so I continued only to find really deep snow which had been lying around for hours, according to the locals, so I had to do a swift about-turn and head for home. Getting there took 50 minutes. Getting home took 3.5 hours. I was not happy and since then have never  even started out for an event if snow has been in the forecast! 

WtnMel, well done on your 5 miles. Go gently until you regain yout fitness and you'll be fine.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all (bends knees a la DoDG),

HS - actually, you put ME to shame with the distances/speed you manage! Must have been very frustrating for those Reading HM runners to arrive only to find the race had been cancelled - thoughts of the organisers getting everyone's mobile numbers and doing a 'text all' springs to mind to avoid wasted journeys?

Red - housework!? :-) I'm not pushing it and taking my time to regain my fitness.

Having told Red I'm taking my time building up my fitness, I went out for a run earlier as what little snow we'd had has been thawing steadily and it was sunny, if a tad windy. I wasn't expecting too much but on the spur of the moment added on an extra loop to my route. I ended up doing 5.8mls .. the pace was nothing to write home about (11:23mm) but that distance is the furthest I've run since April last year (toot toot!).

I'll have a couple of non-running days now (bowls tomorrow; possibly golf on Wed?) but then will be out again with my clubmates on Thu.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Helllo all; ages since I was on this thread, or indeed this website.
    Aquarius - how right you were about the snow in mid-Wales. However, today it has been thawing though there are still heaps of it in places where people have piled it up in order to get cars out of drives and along minor roads. Elder Daughter and Youngest Son were going to do the Bath half, but it was cancelled. Youngest Son is working up to the London marathon, so was a bit put out. He had a 20-mile training run planned for Sunday, out of the question but he has managed to do it today.
    Very very impressed by Redhead's hundred mile weekend. 20 behind you, all much younger - what a feather in your hat!
    WtnMel - you could try St. Anthony for the lost boules? (The saint who finds lost things. The most appealed-to saint in families with children).
    On the advice of the physio I've been seeing about my knee, I have Gone Right Back To The Beginning with running, and am following a C25K programme. Indeed, now nearly at the end of it; running 28 minutes, soon to be upped to 30. 

• Morning all,

Red, your mileage to races must be proportional to your running mileage. I would imagine it is more beneficial for you than the car.

WtnMel, well done running again in the remnants of the snow. You've a busy week ahead, bowls, golf and club running.

My last run was on Thursday, and today  was my first active workout. I had so much energy that I really beasted myself in the spin session. It included a 20 minute hill climb, and concluded with 3 x 10 seconds maximum effort, and warm down. I was still feeling good, so did an easy pace mile run home, av 11.30 pace, instead of walking.
    The club will be returning to the forest for the evening sessions when the clocks go forward, so I will start joining in again.

Welcome back Columba. The inclement weather has played havoc with most runners weekly mileage, but hopefully it will improve from now on.
    I hope that your knee will show improvement with your new programme, and it's looking hopeful, now that you are coming up to 30 minutes.
  • Morning all,

Another very tough spin session, followed by a 1.3 mile warm down run at an average pace of 10.40. I seem to run better after the spin, which is odd, after an hours hard workout.
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Just dipping in quickly haven't caught up with posts yet- Coventry Half marathons cancelled, mind you I was not sorry, far too cold, and we now know that it will not be rescheduled this year, so now i have to re focus on the next one in June, unless i can find another suitable one in the meantime.

At last update on the job front,  good news and bad news, good news is training  scheduled for end of April, lovely or so i thought, bad news after me sitting around waiting for almost a year, they have decided  that my L2 Adult numeracy and literacy is not equivalent to their needs!  So now a have about a month to try and get these quals under my belt,  what is annoying I have quite a few L4 Quals, which will not cross over.  So i will be studying frantically over the next four weeks, so pardon my absence.

Anyway sun shining thank goodness and today was the first morning i did not need my light, mind you clocks go forward weekend  so it will be dark again for a little while.

Hope you are all doing ok and running/spinning/cross training is all going well.

Have a good afternoon/evening.
  • Our weather has also been pretty dire, still some snow on the verges but today we have bright sunshine although it is still quite cold out. Thought I had better catch up on here as I've been a bit remiss with posting lately. Should have taken part in a trial with dog Charlie on Sunday but again we had quite a lot of snow so I didn't go. Had a dicky tummy anyway. Swam on Monday morning and did manage to get to club swim training last night as well, plan on going to the club indoor training tonight - never know beforehand who is going to be leading the group nor what we will be doing, sometimes it is floor exercises, sometimes step aerobics, fitness bands, or light weights, the changes make it interesting, I always go, so does John if he is around, this week he is away for work so I will be going on my own. Have run almost daily for the past two weeks although not more than about 12km each time, must be getting old as I have been feeling the cold lately. Aquarius I agree with HS about the spin sessions, it is tough but I love it, the harder the better, our trainer has us do a lot of climbing work on the bike which is extremely good for me, I am not a good climber and tend to struggle when out on the roads whenever I have to climb a hill. As I missed Sunday's dog trial I have to look now for another in our area, seems a pity to waste all the training Charlie and I have done, especially as I have now got him to retrieve the dumbbell over the 1metre hurdle, it has a been a long hard road to get him used to jumping the hurdle.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Columba - nice to see you back here whenever you have time to post something. I'd not heard of St Anthony before (the saint of lost things) so I'll pray to him and see if that helps those boules turn up! Good to hear you are almost up to 30mins running on your C25K programme.

HS - well done re beasting yourself at the spin session. You would imagine running would be hard work and more difficult after a spin session - strange but good news for you that it doesn't seem to be affecting you. I was going to say "two out of three ain't bad" (we know a song about that don't we?) having played bowls and been for my club run this week. But my friend has just texted me saying he's available so we're off to play 9 holes tomorrow which will mean what I planned will happen.

Glo2 - shame about the Coventry HM being cancelled but understandable in the circumstances. Good news re your job and the training in April but bad news you now have to do some frantic studying to get those 'missing' qualifications.

Been out to the club run this morning. A record turnout of 21 today which was good news but unfortunate for the lady buying everyone's drinks because it was her birthday - they don't know it yet but I'll be treating them all to a free drink in a couple of week's time for the same reason.

With the clocks changing at the weekend it shouldn't be too long before its still light for running in the evenings which will mean I'll be able to mix & match and do some Wed eve club runs instead from time to time.

I went to the local golf course yesterday and signed up for some 'player development' lessons (3x 30min swing analysis; 1x 60min short game; 1x 60min playing the course) hoping these will improve my game and make it less frustrating when I'm playing. I've already been watching some tutorials on YouTube and when I tried the techniques out on the driving range yesterday there defenitely seemed some improvement. It will be nice to be more competitive against my mate Alan so I'll let you know how I get on.
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Reading back, it seems to have been a week of frustrated running, due to the weather, for those who wanted to run. 

TE: It sounds as if wild horses wouldn't hold you back at the moment.

Reading Half is a huge event. I've run it a few times. I heard that, because of its size and scale they couldn't possibly reschedule it for this year. 

We've had a few days away in the North East. Weather was very challenging with us walking along with snow and ice pellets blowing in our faces, and slushy walking conditions underfoot. On Tuesday we had some (relatively) mild weather, and sat in the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh soaking up some watery sun, like lizards. Saw two concerts at The Queens Hall. On one we learned how Haydn's grave was robbed of his head by a Scottish phrenologist who wanted to check that Haydn's brain had the requisite bump that proved his musical genius.  When the Esterhazys subsequently dug him up, having got over the exile/inconvenience of the Napoleonic Wars, they were surprised to find he had no head. On the other concert, Paul Lewis was clearly in a hurry. Very business-like. No 'getting into the mood' preparation. 

We've done so much punishing walking (probably about 12 miles on Monday) that I don't feel too guilty about missing running this week. 

Now back home with a queasy Thursday night feeling, dreading work tomorrow.