Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    G Dawg sounds like you're in a similar position to me! My 'official' 10k PB is 46.29 which annoys me to high end!

What do you guys think on recovery time after the marathon? I'm thinking of entering Draycote water half marathon 4 weeks after London. Surely I will be OK by then!?!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    What's you 10K PB then G-Dawg? 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I got through 10k in 40.20 on Sunday and 10 miles in 65.07.
  • MrSoft said:
    I managed to get in my biggest mileage this week(54), but struggled in the last 3 miles of my 20 mile long run yesterday.  I was meant to do do a 20 mile race yesterday but my legs were tired from the steady/threshold runs I had done in the days before, so decided I probably would be doing more harm than good trying to race even some of it.  

I have a half marathon next week which I will run 7 miles before to make it upto 20.  Hope to do a few miles at MP at the end.   
    With marathon training, some of the runs each week should have a specific aim and these are the key runs. The other runs are less specific recovery and general aerobic. It is important to focus on those key runs and not get sidetracked by miles, so e.g. if the plan says 9 miles general for Friday a tempo on Sat at HMP (parkrun) and you feel tired, cut the general back to 5 and still hit the tempo hard.
    SBD. said:

Need a 10K race on Saturday but the only relevant event I can find is a HM at Eton Dorney.  Could run this as 5K w/u, 10K race and 6.1K w/d but the expected windy conditions are not selling this to me at the moment!

Eton Dorney is F3 events and they are generally best avoided: very high priced so low turnout and hence tends to be a solo run. The course at Dorney is a 5k loop up and down the rowing lake so the half will be 4 laps plus a bit. Far better to target a parkrun and just do it again at the end without a pause. should be easy enough to get back after 10km before the tail walker is back so take your token and off you go again.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - any rest days planned, then?
    OO - enjoy the weather in Geneva while you can.
    StevieWh - good luck with the mile reps. Yes, HM 4 weeks after should be fine.
    GD - you are certainly on top form at the moment.
    7.5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yep, you need to race a 10k soon g-dawg.

Just to clarify, that isn't all running,vthere have been 2 days a week of spin classes in that. Also a lot of easy days. Yesterday was 4 miles of recovery at 8.40mm so it's not like I'm hammering myself.

There will certainly be a few rest days next week and possibly one between today and Saturday as I want to break that streak before it becomes dangerously obsessive. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ashby are making a decision Saturday at 10am. The major concern, which I fully get, is the volunteers in the bitter cold who could be out for a good 4 hours.

It's just bloody frustrating. I advise no-one to enter a race the same day as me as I am doomed. This will be 3/3 since December.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

The weather forecast here for Sunday looks dreadful. 3c max and sleet showers, it has been 12-13c all week and sunny! I have a trail race and I can't say I'm looking forward to it now with sleet showers forecast. That is also if I can actually run, been benched for a few days with a very niggly left knee. :( I'm hoping it will settle down soon!

DT - Fingers crossed for you!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes the weather changed in Geneva & got soaked today.

Stevie, I usually do Keswick Half the week after London so 4 weeks sounds luxurious. I'm sure others might disagree.

Parkrun & last 20 miler planned this w/end- could be a cold one.  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I'm sure 4 weeks will be fine (saying that, my personal rule for "optimum" race readiness after a marathon, was 6 weeks).   Don't get how supermen like OO can race after one week - I can only just about make it downstairs without the handrail by then !!  

Gerard - sorry to hear you've a niggle - you seem quite sanguine about it, so I hope it does indeed "settle down soon"  . . .   

the weather gods are having a laugh now - another thoroughly damp run today - 13 miles in grey clag and persistent drizzle  . . . .   and the weekend doesn't seem it will be much better  . . .  
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    @StevieWh - I think it depends a lot on how you personally get on with recovery; but 4 weeks to me sounds well within reason. I ran London 2 weeks after a PB at Paris and it seemed enough - put in my best ever first 16 miles; the next 10 weren't so great but that's another story :wink:

Basically, I think you'll be fine for a half; but maybe not a full.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

To be fair Birch it's usually run ay mara pace and is my slowest half of the year- it's more that I love the race & and a weekend in the Lakes.

Missed that you had a niggle Gerard, hope it's nothing too serious.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    DT19 - might be too late for all of us to avoid becoming dangerously obsessive! You are not having much luck with racing at the moment; hope Ashby is okay to go ahead.
    GM / OO / Birch - nice and sunny here. Our weather must have come from Geneva rather than Siberia. Hope your knee is okay, GM.
    11 miles this morning with 19x400m at 5k-10k pace, avg of 6:10 m/m (for the 400m reps!)

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Hope the race goes ahead DT, weather isn't looking brilliant this weekend. 40mph winds forecast for tomorrows long run.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll get entered. Looks a pan flat course so be good to see what I can do.

6 x mile reps last night with 600m recovery of around 3.30. Times went 6.30, 6.24, 6.22, 6.19, 6.15 and 6.07. So more than happy with the progression! Legs are slightly tired today but its a rest day and the 16/17 miles tomorrow.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Steviewh, have you tried the 10ks at Draycote Water? I think there is one on 07th April. I think it can be susceptible to wind. excellent mile reps.

Gerard, hope the niggle resolves quickly.

Nice reps, Gul.

Last night was 8 miles at 8.30mm, largely effortless and legs felt good. Today is 8 miles with 5 at planned pace for sunday, just to dial in. Not sure why I am bothering though as it looks pretty likely to be off. Today will give me 41 for the week so sundays 20 would give me my highest weekly mileage. I have a back up plan in the Droitwich half which doesn't seem to be bothered by the weather forecast. It's an 11am start and about 10 minutes from me. Plus it's the Worcestershire county champs. My concern is I won't end up running this at mp and will get dragged into a race.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT I'm thinking of entering a few there through the summer and winter. I did think it could be windy but thought it might equal out over the loop!

Didn't realise Droitwich had a half, that's less than 30 minutes from me. Do you run for a club DT?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hi thread.
    Sorry it's been a long while, and I'm not going to pretend I've read the 322 posts RW tells me I've missed.
    I've been very, very gradually re-building my running, and this week will be 4 x 8M with some cross-training on top.
    Hope everyone is well.  I will become a more regular visitor again now that I feel a bit more like a runner once more rather than a gym bunny!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Steviewh, the Droitwich half has been going years. Its a pretty hard course and every year the weather is terrible. However its cheap and local with entries on the day and a nice start time and you still get a tech t'shirt. I'm based in Bromsgrove so run for them, What about you?

Joolska, pleased to see you are getting back to it.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Joolska, good to have you back!

Track sesh last night. pretty much the reverse side of a pyramid(12,10,8,6,4,2,2,2 - 00s) but each distance had to be 3 or 4 seconds faster in average pace than the previous. So, after a 2 mile warm up, we did a 1200 with each of the 400s in 92 seconds.

The 1000 had to be quicker with the 400s being 87 seconds and so on with 200m jog/walk recoveries. We finished with 3 x 200m blasts at 33 seconds each.
    A little warm down at the end bagged me 6 miles for the night.

Had sore legs at the start but this session was a good shake out. Didn't go too hard on any of the efforts as I didn't want to blow out the 20 miler tomorrow, which will now be run off-road and in zero degrees and in light snow, great...Not!!  :s
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT if the weather is alright and my legs feel good I might consider that as a MP practice then! I only got serious about my running last year so don't run for a club yet. I'm based in Wythall so was considering Kings Heath club.

G-Dawg that sounds a good session! I've really enjoyed doing track work during marathon training so will be keeping it up!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - cracking session (again) - repeating ourselves now, but notwithstanding the challenges you have re the calendar and geography, you really ought to find a race - to paraphrase Mr K Keegan - we'd "love it, just love it"  if you smashed a marathon, or any race, for that matter  . .   :) 

just as we " love it" that Jools is back  :)   . . .   any Autumn goal(s) yet, Jools ? 

Stevie - excellent mile reps - 6 is a testing session - nicely bagged  . .   also GDawg - sounds intense , but good restraint in view of your impending 20  . . .  

DT - enjoy Sunday, whatever you end up doing. If it is the Droitwich, a "full beans" effort wouldn't be detrimental, imo, as VLM is 5 weeks away ?  Good luck, anyway  . . .    

yet another soaking this morn - but only out there for the time it took to jog 4 miles . . .   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

G-Dawg, another great session.

Steveiwh- I used to work out in Shirley so used to run out around that area quite a bit. Done the wythall 10k a few times also. Kingsheath is a decent club, though you wont be too far from Redditch there either which is where my club is based. Though due to work/kids I've not been to a club training night in nearly 5 years!

Keep an eye on Droitwich FB page though for news on potential cancellation.

Birch, my concern with going full beans is that my target half (Liverpool) is a week sunday and wonder if I would harm my chances there in a race that I hadn't planned for on a course and conditions that wont get me a fast time.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ah, DT - that puts a different slant on things . . . .    yes, it certainly wouldn't help your chances at Liverpool if you hit Droitwich full on  . . .    
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone done Regents Park half? Looking for a race over the next few weekends to use as the latter part of a 20+; either London or South West.

Looks like a great track session G-Dawg - agree the weekend long runs are not looking that much fun.

8 on Wednesday night for me, hilly with an average of 8:10 so quite relaxed overall. Track last night, 3 miles then 4x1200s - really felt the strain on that and lost 15s between first and last; should have done a 5th one really.

Thinking of taking the train to Bath tomorrow and running back home to Bristol, about 22mile route, that'll be just shy of 50 for the week.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    20 cancelled! I think I might parkrun in the morning just to get a race of sorts in! No doubt the half will eventually cancel and if it doesn't, having parkrun in my legs will slow me down.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nicko: that's a favourite option of mine when I have the luxury of time.  Especially because the second half of the bike path is downhill when run in that direction: perfect for a 'progressive' run ;)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Joolska - yeah it's a good one to force you to do the distance - no option to shorten it up or you're stranded!

Were you running at last night's track session at Whitehall btw? Kind of recognise your picture.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    No, I don't train at Whitehall: I've obviously got a double in the club!  I haven't been to club sessions since November due to injuries, but generally train at Coombe Dingle.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT I'll keep an eye on it. I haven't ran a parkrun in months, my boss has bet me that I can't run a sub 18 so that will be the focus for a bit after London.

Weather is not looking fun this weekend. Guarantee its 25 degrees and clear blue skies come April 22nd!
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Grindleford Gallop this weekend is still on - 21 miles offroad around the Peak District. Forecast is -1C, snow and 40mph winds; guess its not going to be a pb!