Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Nice stuff SG.

Got a bit of a niggle on the knee, the expected tweaks from the mudfest at the weekend. It's not dangerous as such, but you can pick up so much from all the sliding and lateral movement in your knees, etc. But seemed OK as I ran to the station..

Got in early so I could go down the canal, did 20 x 35 secs to make it near as dammit 200m's with 20 secs or so recovery. Nice to slow the Lycra louts down again ;)

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Well good to see the thread has been guilded once again thanks to Dean's track efforts and well stuck out in the mud Dachs/SC.

Nice session there SG, what's the plan for the summer are you thinking about the 5k series or something more substantial?

I think you asked about whether I was going to do Reading a few pages back and the answer is yes. Looks cold on Sunday which I am not too bothered about, in fact I prefer it once i've started. With that in mind I did a short session today. Just 3 x 1 mile at the track with a 390 metre jog for the rest.

Plan was to hit HMP (6:00) and hopefully find it comfortable. They all came in under 6:00 by a few seconds but I reckon maintaining it over 13.1 miles is unlikely, I'll be giving it a go though.
  • Options
    Crazy mud fest at the inters! Don't know how some people glide over it with ease! I think once you get going if you are behind from the 1st mile or so there's really only so much you can do, people are never really pulling away from you - Good running 

Dean - Awesome result on the gold medals! Almost seem to have popped out of nowhere (not the hard work behind the scenes of course) but quiet here unless I've been missing things, head down, grind, result!! 

SG - Nice session there, still going well!! 

Pete - Hope that calf sort itself out

Matt L - Niggles no good :( Been a while now! Time for some rest!!!! Best way to improve 

IOWER - Are you getting involved with any TTs on the island or a club there? Heard rumours of people* wanting to close the IOW track! 

Matt H - On and off it seems! Hyperions are fast but unless super healthy I would not wear flats haha 

No more from me still, I think 5 runs in the last 4 weeks and noticing more and more how much time away from the sport slips by as races like Eastleigh 10KM creep up this weekend which is where I ran my PB. Now 4 years ago. I'll never be back. I'm nearly 90KG from low 70s last year and I've looked on training peaks / strava to see 300 miles in the last 12 months most of those where done March / April last year anyway so give it another month I'd have done less than 150 in 12 months! 

I maybe at Fleet HM the weekend, planned to be at Eastleigh watching before the shop opens - But change of plans means I could be leading that event

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Tasty session SG, I remember reading track sessions years ago on this thread and they were largely meaningless as I didn't have anything to compare it to. 6-8 seconds a lap quicker than my current 5k pace is considerable though! However, when I started track sessions my 400 rep lap times were around 1:30 so it's all relative I guess!

SC 20x200's on a canal path is impressive! Always have weak feeling knees and ankles after a mudfest too

Scott - I'm with 'Bike Jockey CC' - a small club (7 or so riders) formed a couple of years ago by a friend of mine who ran a bike shop of the same name. He's just moved to Switzerland but we're sticking with it - most of us just do TT's but we have one or two who get stuck into cyclocross and some road/circuit racing. There is a TT series run by the SpyVelo bikeshop and their club TeamSpy - all on a course on the military road which I'll do a few of. 
    The track status is still under discussion and I'm on the working group to keep it going - we're investigating charity status to try and obtain independant funding which could mean we could pay the lease/running costs ourselves without worrying about it being publicly owned or owned by a private group who don't give a stuff about it. Haven't had a meeting for a while but will update on here next time - basically we don't want it going the same way as Salisbury's track or to get turned into houses!

Easy 45 minute spin on the turbo trainer Monday night which felt pretty good.

Track session last night - paced a clubmate round 3 x mile at (his) target 10k pace then got him to do a HRMax test. Pace (6:05m/m) felt pretty comfortable throughout but the calf and ankle felt pretty tight all the way round, stretched a fair bit after and at home which helped a little bit but it's still a bit sore and tight today. Fairly sure it's just the reintroduction of the bike training so hopefully it'll sort itself out over the next week or so.
  • Options

iower - the 200's on a canal can be a pain due to those pesky cyclists. It's a decent inner city bit so it's quite wide and concrete. Just go from the sign to the bush, 20 secs recovery and back to the sign, 10 sets of those. Both of the times I have done it it has set me up nicely for the day! Your track session seemed promising..

You'll get there Scott - loads of HM's this weekend, same day as the relays at MK. Be interesting to see how it effects the entries. Obviously folk doing London should do an early leg and then multiple laps after to get the mileage in, but folk are quite precious about their marathon build ups..

Reg - risk of snow too at the weekend. That will be a major ball ache if that happens.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Football highs and lows these last 4 days. Beat the hated rivals, all is well. Lose to an unfancied European team, and all hell breaks loose! That's my long trips done for a while, maybe the season!

Got a cheeky 4.5miler in within 20mins of driving the 170miles home, just to tick over. May not have a rest day this week, or the mileage will be miniscule (relatively speaking!)

Scott - never write it off, you've still plenty of years to enjoy it and make a comeback. But agreed, when you see certain races come up and go without doing them, time does slip away.

Simon, good canal efforts. Despite your description, I still have images of you ferociously smashing down some 100cm wide track into all sorts, dogs, people, cyclists :)

Reg, some relay action at the weekend, and we'll see if we qualify for starters, as that'd then mean another one. With so many southern races ridiculously on the same day, we'll see how things turn out. We're hit ourselves with two of our best guys doing marathon training and racing Reading.

Over the summer, getting a sub 17 5k has to be the top aim. I've done it twice, a 16.53 back in 2013 at Dulwich parkrun, and a 16;59 at Battersea Park in what I think was 2015. Hyde Park 17.03 last year was close. At the time I thought that'd be my first of many cracks at fast ones, but I ended up only doing our summer series stuff instead. Decent courses, but more your 17.20 fare.

Have a good crack at Reading, hope the body behaves!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sale Sizzlers: Thursdays 5th and 19th of July and the 2nd and 16th of August. Link below: one of the faster courses around, certainly in this area, and quick because of the depth of quality of the field. Sub 17 will usually get you in the top 50...just.

https://www.saleharriersmanchester.com/pages/3989/endurance-road-running/news-endurance/sale-sizzlers
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    sale sizzlers are decent races if you can get there

SG - i was at the game last night too.  absolute shower of shi
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Where is the 'Bus'?

🙂

• Options
    That's the trouble with United, they're not a 'scary' team. They win a few, but you're not too worried about being walloped by them. The three teams that do this are City, Liverpool and Spurs. 

Nervous Saturday afternoon for me, WBA at home, got to win it. I think I'm going to calm my nerves by taking in a bit of non league action freezing my nuts off at Leighton Town v Oxhey Jets :)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Simon, I'm not much interested in the game of football myself, but I do find myself interested in the results of the game. Some reactions are quite eye opening.

Biggest laugh I got from football was hearing that at one major championship, pranksters had left a football filled with cement laying about in a town centre. Have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The police were investigating.

🙂

• Options

same day as the relays at MK. Be interesting to see how it effects the entries. Obviously folk doing London should do an early leg and then multiple laps after to get the mileage in, but folk are quite precious about their marathon build ups.

Never understood that myself, I reckon that any running is good marathon training. I'll admit that Sunday events are harder to fit in than Saturday but it is all possible. If you do a hard, short run on Saturday (so a normal cross country or track meeting) and start on Sunday's long run with tired legs then that is all good. If you have a Sunday race then the option is to add some miles afterwards or do you long run mid-week. I used to do XC on Sunday and then long runs at the start of the week on tired legs:

Sat Feb 1 2014 parkrun
    Sun Feb 2 2014 TVT XC
    Mon Feb 3 2014 10 miles @ 7:23
    Tue Feb 4 2014 15 miles @ 7:17

• Options

PMJ - Yeah the point of the post I suppose was folk being 'precious' about their running and training, especially near London marathon time. The missus has had someone pull out of the intercounties because she was 'too fit' to run! and London was still a few weeks away.

No doubt other will be doing the half's and not doing the relays and it winds me up a bit tbh- there are other longer races on other days that people could do on other Sundays and they can still take part in a great relay event. People can do what they like - but it saddens me a bit when the marathon becomes an obsession in the months beforehand...it's  longer than normal race, that's all

In my prep for Berlin I thought I'd do a few longer runs (which are vital, obviously) - train normally otherwise, do all the relays and track finals leading up to it and just give it a go on the day..didn't do me any harm.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Too fit to run? How would that work? Not wanting to "waste" it or something on a mud slog?

I clearly don't understand the appeal of the marathon. 6 months of your year focused on 1 race, which will be a real slog, and most likely give you some sort of depletion or injury issues for a fair while after.
    Having said that, I can understand why anyone on said mission above wouldn't let anything else get in the way.

Going and doing a 3miler fast in the middle of a Sunday, in MK, doesn't seem to add anything to the plan.

6&4 today. After a travel day yesterday and with relays in 3 days, a 15 didn't seem necessary.
    Will either do another 6&4 tomorrow, or may even go and whizz a few 200s out pre work instead, as I'm aware i haven't been to my own track for ages now, having started doing Datchet sessions, and having had all those xcs.
  • Options
    Just seen the weather forecast for Reading HM this weekend - looks to be bracing to say the least!
    To be honest, I'm looking forward to spring actually making an appearance!

Unfortunately my race plans are now up in the air, with the return of the foot ache that I had a few months ago. Not sure what's brought it on, but I'm now sat with a bag of frozen peas on it. Will have to monitor how it is, as I don't want to aggravate it further if it turns out to be extensor tendonitis :|
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt -It's a fairly distinct one, felt in the individual bones of the toes. The good news is it is one niggle I found you could actively get rid of.

Hottest bowl of water you can safely stand, and twiddle your toes as hard as you can. I don't think I had to ease the miles down too much either.

(disclaimer - my own dealing with perhaps a mild case of this only)!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't have minded a crack at Reading if the dates had worked, but most likely I'd have found what happened other years, you felt like you'd done the real work at the first race, and perhaps the training eased off in between, and by the second one you weren't quite as fancying it in body or mind.

I wonder what would happen if the 12 stage got snowed off. Seems massively unlikely ( i say now), bearing in mind there's zero snow at all, and it's only 3 days away...but what would happen. Is there time to re-schedule something like that in, or would they just let everyone go to the nationals?!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Weather does look dodgy for Reading, it's the wind that I'm not happy about. If it is dodgy I think I'll scale it back to an MP run.

Might see if I can fit M'head 10 in instead.

Easy 8 this morning and an hour on the Wattbike this afternoon.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    SG - we had the midlands 12 stage called off a few years ago due to swine/bird flu outbreak i think.  what they did is they ranked teams based on who was in the teams and the recent histiry of the clubs in this event.  so for example our team, notts, tipton etc always gets through so we were invited to the nationals.  
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

That makes good sense. We'd probably weasel in on that criteria, as we'd claim our best 12 were available :)

That Gravesend course was ideal for spectator viewing last year.  a track round a big grassy area perfect for tenting up. With 3 laps on the long leg, you could plan it to see your runners at 3 or 4 different places each lap.

Laps become a strain though, especially when there's an incline into wind to look forward to, so at least Sunday sounds a more out and back job.

Last year we knew what was what by now, this year our new captain is leaving it late. It's probably only obsessives like me who want to map out when to eat and suchlike.

Last year we even had a travelling sub! So i'm slightly nervous if we just turn up with 12 guys this year. Doesn't take too much to ruck things up.

• Options
    True. Ok for the LBAC  team, only being 10 miles away. Harder for my Herne Hill lot though. I think it it will go ahead ok, think there's more a feeling of getting on with it now. 

8 x 800 tonight with 90 secs recovery. Averaged 2.25's although the 7th was 2.28 as I had s stitch in the 2nd lap. Bollocksed now. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought you'd written C instead of G for a second there Simon ;)

Short sharp solo track sesh today, just the 10x200 from the 5k plan.
    8 starting with a 34 and 2 with a 33.

That'll do. If I was in peak 5k training mode, I'd perhaps push to the majority being 33, but it was a fun rampage without pushing too hard.
    Light enough to make it 2 sessions and a race Sunday.
  • Options
    Sorry mate..you've lost me. Saying that, it isn't hard ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just some gentle letter fun...but dont worry.

Relay decision tomorrow apparently. Could be called off.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, the speed of your 200's has me thinking - no not that, this time! No, it was watching a clubmate of sorts doing 400's in 68/70 seconds.

The reason he was doing them at that pace was on account of (he said so) not being able to go much faster, which didn't really bother me that much since I could just about manage the same pace. But here's the difference. He had a 1500m race where he did that pace the whole way, whereas I would have gone 450m and then blown up.

I could be forgiven for thinking he was sand-bagging at the time of the session were it not for him looking suitably wiped out after each rep.

I still don't know how he was able to do that, maybe he was sand bagging, or maybe it's some sort of physiological quirk of track runners?

🙂

• Options
    Eastleigh 10KM postponed ! OUCH
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ric i wonder what pace would be wipeout for me. Depends on rep quantity i suppose. Maybe a single sub 30 these days. Or 6-8 in 31-32? I won't test. No need for my distances. And i recall a guy my age at the club getting injured doing sprints to finish a session!

Scott, saw that. I wouldn't mind doing Eastleigh again if they reschedule. Any way of wangling in to the rerun?

Cov half off too. But Reading just talking of giving blankets and stuff out.
    No word on relays yet.

I woke to an icy temp. Looks and feels very cold. Will prob pootle a 4 out then see if my wycombe game and the relays are on or not this weekend
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Managed another double figure run early on around the woods. Plenty of hills, mud and to add to the mix, some white stuff being blasted from an easterly direction.
    That's the fourth run of that length this week. Going well.

If there was a problem it's some new shoes developing a split across the front of the upper after only a couple of months.

It's a double design fault involving the dynamics of the shoe plus the sub standard material used.
    Don't these people field test their shoes properly? It's called Research & Development.

Ok, I can re-engineer the shoes to solve the problem, but why should I have to? 

In my former life in R & D, I would have flagged this one up at concept. No doubt some prick executive up the hierarchical chain pulled rank to get their way. So if you wonder how shit ideas get the nod, there it is.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Relays canceled.
    Having dribbled out a freezing cold 4 that's deffo the right call.
    Standing around for hours would be dreadful
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Having just helped at a cross country race for less than an hour, I wouldn't want to be an official standing out there for 4 or 5 hours! Horizontal white stuff and an icy wind. Reminds me of the National at Sutton Coldfield in March 1972 when someone passed away from hypothermia. I ran in the youths' race and it was sunny! Dr Hill has since told me it was the worst conditions he had ever raced in.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.