My Last Run

Comments

• Great 20 there, Cal. Nice work. I'm increasingly getting the urge to do longer runs and looking at marathons for next year. I really like the look of Loch Ness and Edinburgh .

A nice little Junior Parkrun with the boy yesterday and then ate far too much at my Mum's to contemplate getting the trainers on. So, I fitted my longie in this morning. I am experimenting with routes which help me get my mileage up and found some nice little bits of route today. Legs felt really sluggish though and after stopping briefly at 3 miles to strip off (oh Spring I love you) I couldn't get a respectable pace up again. I kept at it though and also tried my new homemade energy balls (very nice and easy to chew on the go). Ended up just short of 12 miles and funnily had most energy for the last 2. Some miles in the bag and uplifted by the fresh buds and emerging blossom on show. Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Back from a long ski weekend without internet access and nice to see it busy on here and the regulars all well.

May the streak go on for a long time yet swittle.   

4 miles recovery for me this afternoon - felt nice and fresh after 3 days of no running.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Serious mileage logged, Cal.  And an uplifting vernal report from Will.  Well run, son of.  :)

Thanks for that, Hazel.  I can't remember what no running feels like!  ;)  A couple of park-based miles' recovery following a ten-mile darkrun last night.  Soggy by the lakes and some torch bearing late night beachcombers whom I gave a wide berth.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. 4.35mile incline run on the gym treadmill Sat. Then 15min stepping / kind of running on the new infinity staircase at the gym Mon. Dripping with sweat. 8.9miles today pretty quick. 1hr02 with last 3miles at 6:45pace. Have been stuffing my face so at least those calories have gone to some use. Nice and bright. Some of my go to routes are flooded and it's supposed to be freezing temps and snow again at the weekend. Lovely.
  • Nice running swittle and JT.  I wish spring would hurry up as well I am racing on Saturday and the forecast is for strong wind and potentially snow at the moment.  Oh well, in a few weeks I will be complaining it is too hot probably. 

A bit above 8 miles for me with my Tuesday group yesterday evening.  Started off dry but it was pouring by the time we had finished.  As it was dark we couldn't see how yukky it actually was (beyond the beam of the head torches).  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm visiting Prague and Vienna this weekend (flying to Prague tomorrow) and it looks like it'll snow in Vienna. Which isn't great as the purpose of the trip was to go to Prater Park and ride the rides there.
    My calf and hip (well groin, really) have been very grouchy since my Sunday 20 so I took two days off and then just did 4 today. Calf got a bit tight so I decided not to push it further.
    I was worried about the timing of this trip (as I should have been peaking this week) but I think it's turned out to be a good thing, as my grumpy bits obviously need more of a rest.

• snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Nice 10k last night, very gentle. Sprint training tonight, before 2 days rest and Tonbridge Parkrun on Saturday and 18 miles on Sunday

39 days till VLM!
  • Hello Snew - good luck with your VLM prep.

Always good to give things a rest, Cal. My body seems to be doing strange things at the mo - loose when not expected, stiff when not expected either!

Hope your weather is kind for the race, Hazelnut, and good luck :)

Solid running as ever from JT and Swittle. A reliable pair, methinks.

I had a tiptoe round the croci for a few miles yesterday in the Crem, as a recovery jog. Then today, as Mrs Will is away at the rugby at the weekend, I went out for another longie. I took at little drive to the trail I did my last Half on and cranked up to a bit over 14 miles in 2 hrs 25 mins. It was rather muddy, with loads of puddles and remnants of snow drifts in the shadows, so I was happy with the time and could have carried on a bit - which seems to bode well. Glorious Spring sunshine, a wee breeze and a fantastic soundtrack of Yellowhammers, Skylark and assorted Tits. If that wasn't enough, also a total of 7 Buzzards, calling out their territory and doing some ace courting parallel flights. My energy balls (dates, ground almonds, goji berries, sesame seeds and cacao powder) did the biz again. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable sojourn.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    12.9miles in 1hr36. Quite windy out. Pretty tattered around mile 10 but woke back up again. 
    Good running/training everyone. Enjoy your time in Czech/Austria Cal. Rest your groin. And you Will with your unexpected stiffening.
  • :) behave JT..

Enjoy Prague and Vienna Cal.  Do you good to have a break.

Spring marathons are approaching fast snewma: 39 days for me too (Zurich rather than London).

Nice run by you Will hope those buzzards keep calm about runners in their territories.  I've been attacked by one in the past.   Will have a go at making some DIY energy balls myself again.

Intervalls for me at lunchtime today.  8 and a bit miles with 5x1km with 3 min recoveries.  Set out on each rep a bit too quick and faded a bit - should work on starting slower and speeding up or at least holding the pace until the end.    Fastest km was 4:27, slowest 4:36.   Rest day tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Will, I think we're having taper tantrums. :lol:
    I got in a sneaky 6 this morning. Started easy but (niggles aside) I had loads of energy so I ended up doing the last two at 4:15 MP. That's my goal for this year (or maybe next year) although I won't achieve that in Manchester what with all the troubles I've had. I'd be content just to beat my MP, which is 4:29:29. Anyway, it was a good run, although I was overtaken by someone in a Hulk onesie. :mrgreen:
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in.. 
    Had a quick skim and it sounds like my fellow marathon women are doing well.  Keep going girls, it doesn't get any tougher than this bit..
    Also swittle's soggy, JT's windy and Will's stiff  :#
    Andrea, hope you're OK
    Me- this week's been the usual mix of early morning speed work, a mid long run of 10 miles last night (fabulous, with a head torch, through the forest mainly with my new inov8s), and 4 today at target MP.
    Tomorrow will be an easy 6 ish plus swim as I have Finchley 20 on Sunday, providing the Beast from the East doesn't return as some reports seem to be suggesting. This weather's really making marathon training tricky!  
  • Accurate summary Nessie.  Good luck for Finchley - hope the weather is kind to you. 

Maybe Hulk was practicing for a charity run Cal.

10 miles for me this morning in 1:30:59.  Bit quick considering I am running in my only pre-marathon race tomorrow.  A 15k with a couple of nasty undulations.  Course PB is 1:08:30.  But that was off training for shorter distances than a marathon and a taper.  Weather looks a bit better than at the beginning of the week - probably a bit wet and 5 degrees but not as much wind thank goodness. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your weekend races Hazel and Ness. UK weather tomorrow looks to be deeply shit.
    Weather started out pissing wet and windy. A bit knackered recently and didn't much want to go. Figured better to get it over now than in gales and snow. Not so bad actually. Picked a route I've not run for ages following the river Foss. Thing is offroad the ground is mush covered by standing water. Need fell shoes to really cope with it. Ducked back onto roads at an early opportunity. Convinced myself to run long so 16.1miles in under 2hr05. Nearly collided with a car (my fault), a bike (cyclist looking at his phone went through a red light at a pedestrian crossing, so very f---ing much his fault), and a pedestrian (my expectation that people filling the pavement will get out the way isn't always met). I get grumpy when I run tired. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    My dog-walking forecaster says cold for only a couple of days but there still might be ice to break  :o   Hoping for decent weather for your race tomoorow, Hazel.  

International rep hits Europe, Cal!  Hope those parts are less grouchy.

snewma00, a testing weekend of training - bonne chance to you.  A rewarding 14 off piste, Will - well run; well reported on the ornithological front.

Numbers are looking fine, JT.  Isn't the tapir an urban myth lol?

I'm still chipping away daily: 4 round the lakes.  Film crew parked up off Adelaide Terrace: filming another series of the BBCs 'Moving On' by Jimmy McGovern.  They didn't seem to need a pre-pension, sweaty runner as an extra....  ;)
  • Enjoyed your healthily grumpy report, JT. The manners of assorted road/path users often leaves me aghast too. Just who do they think they are? The owners of the black labrador that actually ran through my legs on Parkrun this morning, were given traditional short shrift from me. I am not a bloody hurdler.

I am equally aghast that you we're t snapped up as an extra, Swittle. They obviously don't know talent when they see it. That streak just keeps on keeping on.

Best of luck for the races, Hazel and Ness. Enjoy them :)

Mrs Will is in Cardiff for the rugby, so I dropped the nippers off at Ma and Pa's for pancakes while I did a snowy, blustery, muddy and fantastic Colney Parkrun.  I hurtled off too fast and so found the 2nd lap a bit tough, especially as the course got more cut up. Had a pleasant chat with a cani-runner and her dog, which made up for the black lab incident. Her dog had rolled in fox sh#t and so she was running it through as many puddles as possible. Despite the lag finish, I shaved 26 secs off my course best and was very impressed at the nonchalance with which I presented my snazzy new barcode wristband to the scanner woman. Tidy.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Keep pushing through vibes to all the marathoners.

Well done on the parkrun pb Will.

I had a really good week last week. Sun 8 miles, Tues 5 miles, Wed 3 miles speed work, Thurs 4 miles. Finished it all off nicely with first place woman at the parkrun yesterday in very testing conditions.

Then I wake up to another load of snow and my daughter has kindly shared her cold with me. 

• Good running Will and Andrea. 

15km race for me yesterday.  Was lucky with the weather - cool, only light wind and the first raindrops didn't fall until 10km and not too many of them until I was on my way home again.

01:09:52 chip time, 1:22 down on last year's course PB but my second fastest time so pleased with that.  My watch went a bit mad on the first 4-5 km and had me running a different course to everyone else and half a km further - never mind.  Legs felt strong the whole way round, though I did power walk up the nasty steep hill at km 9.5.  Was much easier to get back into a decent pace afterwards.  22nd in my category out of 265 and 132nd out of 1743 women overall.  First lady: 51:08, first man 43:27. :D

Finisher goody: a nice long sleeve technical top, vitamins in the form of a carrot, a banana and a pear..

Legs a bit tired today but will be out for a long (slow!) run later.  Only a dusting of snow here.    
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Well done Hazel and a very tasty time and position!
    And great park running from Will and Andrea, although Will's dog crap story nearly made me heave.
    JT, great grumpy running and a star turn from our very own swittle.
    Me- I did my 6 ish miles on Friday in the forest, a veritable mud fest in the spring sunshine, mucky, wet fun and a beautiful day. Then yesterday, as promised, the snow hit again, and Finchley 20, along with just about every other race, was cancelled :-(
    So I went out with a group from the club at a slightly slower pace than I would have liked, a little fed up but I still got my 20 miles in, and felt fine at the end. 3 hours 13 OK time. It does make a difference running with company, the time flew by. A great route took in the north end of the River Lea up to Broxbourne and Lea Valley park, and conditions weren't too bad at all. Most of the paths were fine. It was freezing and we were running into a headwind on the way back, but it was behind us on the way back.  And equal splits, pretty much to the second. 
    I'm disappointed that I didn't get to do Finchley as the plan was to do the first 10 easy, then the second at target MP, which was impossible today due to the pace of the group.  I'm thinking I'll try to be very disciplined and try for negative splits on next Friday's 20 
  • 10 miles from here to Ally Pally and back again. Respect to all those training for the Spring Constitutional. I start acting like a bored toddler after 13 miles. No patience. "...are we there yet?"  At 26 someone would have to call my mum...."yes Stephen threw his shoe at another runner, then started eating another competitors energy bar....yes its best you come collect him..."
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Happy Monday all
    A good weekend of running - did Tonbridge Parkrun on Saturday - 22.50 in very tough conditions and a hangover!
    Did 17 miles yesterday, was very cold, very hilly, but was steady and felt strong. 3rd marathon and first time I've ever used energy gels was yesterday - but gave me a good boost.
    Legs feel okay today too!
  • Shame about your race Nessie but well done for finding an alternative solution to at least get in the 20 miler.

I like the idea of the bored toddler Stephen.  

Well done on your parkrun and the 17 miles snewma.  

I did just short of 17 miles as well yesterday.  After Saturday's race my legs were a bit tired but I kept the effort sensible and treated myself to two short walking breaks to down a gel - normally I try to keep running.  I also did an out and back, on the first leg against the wind and on the way back with it (fortunately).  Rest day today.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Fine long running Ness and Hazel.
    I've never considered nabbing an energy gel. Out running in the warmer days of summer I have seen people with ice creams and thought, "I could have that and be away."
    3.1mile treadmill incline run yesterday. Part of a gym session including high intensity 22mins on the infinite staircase (that I nearly fell off during a runny bit), and rowing machine for the duration of The King of Limbs (which is pretty short). Under 9miles in under 1hr11 tonight. Cold out and slow easy pace. Ironically nearly slipped on a pile of grit. Went through the city centre and couple of ghost tours doing their rounds. Went past a man bundled up as best he could sleeping in a long box under a bridge. His situation occupied my thoughts for the rest of the run. The level of society we have that someone freezing in a cardboard box overnight is a scene replayed in every town and city is an absurdity.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry about Finchley, Nessie - but well done on getting your 20 done regardless.
    Excellent running everyone else!

JT - and everyone really - if you know of a rough sleeper, you can send a message to https://www.streetlink.org.uk/ to let them know and they will try to get them some shelter. They'll also let you know after if they were able to find the person you told them about.

Anyway, I had a few nice days visiting Prague and Vienna. Beautiful cities, but the coaster bit was something of a wash-out as, due to the weather, most rides were closed. :( (I am now considering Vienna Marathon next year so I get another chance to go back to Prater Park and do all the rides I missed!)

Didn't run yesterday due to the ice, but got myself out for 6 miles today. Cold, but at least it was OK underfoot. My groin is still tetchy - I'd hoped the mini-break would give it a chance to calm down, but apparently not. Hrmm.

• Europe sounds nice, Cal. Shame about the lack of ride action. 

Helluva 15K time, Hazelnut -  nicely run!
    Good effort, Nessie and JT. Homelessness is plain unnecessary. Disgraceful here in Norwich too.

We had a little snow and I trail ran a few miles where I used to lark around as a boy. Memories of stolen ciggies and homebrew :) That made it 35 miles for the week - my biggest ever total and more than planned. I hit a hat-trick last night, with 4 very tired legged miles. Body tells me to quit while I'm ahead and so I'm taking 2 days' rest and having a curry in preparation for a 15 miler on Thursday. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link Cal. Rest and curry Will sounds a winning combination. I think too my body is asking for a rest, but I'm ignoring it. I will not be dictated to. 15.2miles of country backroads in 1hr56. Got a "now then" from a farmer, a collection of temporal tenses which dayjob as hello in Yorkshire. Better than a "how do". I saw a horse on a busy street. Bold rabbits also by the rubbish tip. Cold to start but the day got milder and there was sun.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    The fauna are taking over, JT.  Curry on a school night, Will?  ;)  Have a good '15'.

Culture vulture, Cal!  Hazel, you've built up impressive endurance and race pace too.  Winning combo.  :)

snewma00 - impressive short & long outings.  Nessie - last weekend saw many races go to the wall.  Those 20s in March used to reassure me I could do 26.2.  Used to run three 20-mile events in consecutive weeks when I could trundle a bit.  ;)  

Good miles, Andrea.  Still Streaking, still wondering why.  Fresh, bright & cold today - and so was the morning!  Just the 4 and the soggy, boggy places are drying up - and in the coastal park.....
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Are you in Yorkshire then, JT? My dad was from Barnsley so, whilst I'm a Londoner, I have a bit of northerner in me.

Definitely better weather today - crisp and bright, just how I like it. Hat, gloves and sunglasses weather. I did 10 miles at MP. Groin wasn't bad. Hamstring grumbled most of the way, but I'm ignoring it. I ran Liverpool with it in worse shape so I know it's just making empty threats.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Nice 7 last night, sprints tonight, 10 on Friday and then a quick 14 on Sunday planned.

This is perfect weather for running, nice and crisp as you say Cal! Have a good rest of running week all!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good structured work snewma. Yes Cal, North Yorkshire. 7.5miles today in 54mins so perky run. Bright and clear but nasty freezing wind was back. Loads of dog walkers about. Probably gym tomorrow.