wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    EQ - here's a topic - rhabdomyolysis: why do some ultrarunners suffer from it and how do they avoid it?
  • I'm doing my first 100km race in a few months time. The Ham and Lyme 100k race. I did a 50km race - does that count as an ultra? Think there is going to be a big step up from one distance to the next. I've started blogging about my training - https://runningalotblog.wordpress.com/.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    yes, a 50km is an ultra.   Technically an ultra is anything over marathon distance but usually they start at 30 miles, then 50km and so on
  • Hello forum, this is my first post. I am looking to do my first ultra in the spring and really welcome any advice. I am a really slow runner but just love running for miles and covering long distances. Did Stroud trails marathon in May and although I was very slow, I was devastated when it was over. Wanting to keep running after a tough 26.9miles felt like reason enough to start thinking about 50miles. So welcome any advice on pretty much anything, including good ultras to do that are beautiful and interesting and but not to difficult to navigate.
  • Hi Claire 

i am preparing for the Thames trot 50 no advice really as I am a newbie myself ! Have you found anything to sign up to yet? 
  • Clairenkit: Centurion events are "beautiful and interesting and but not to difficult to navigate" and are well organised with good aid stations.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    +1 for Centurionrunning 50-milers.  Watch out for quite strict cut-offs, though!

You could also look at EnduranceLife ultras (usually about 35 miles) which are mostly on coast footpaths.  Bit expensive but you cannot go wrong with their waymarks.  They tend to have small fields so can be a bit lonely.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Claire , Centurion 50 milers are great . Lovely routes & you are looked after . There are the cut offs at aid stations to bear in mind , how long did the trail marathon take you 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    How's everyone doing?  Who's got what coming up?  How were people's first ultras this year?  

I've got one next weekend and two in October and that's me done for 2017.

It's always a pleasure planning the next year's ones. And there are so many to choose from.

• Time to wake this thread up again- my  plans so far for next year- the fling in late april, and G24 in Sept. I will do Glentress mara, and Loch KAtrine marathon in early spring as training races- anyone else?
  • This year's 'A' race was Comrades, with a couple of marathons, plus a couple of shorter ultras run at SVN events, in training for that, and a couple of trail marathons and an SVN challenge event since.

Just today completed a 10-marathons-in-10-days with Saxons, Vikings and Normans (ran a 50K today for the last day of the challenge). For next year, it's Comrades again (Down run), but I'm also planning to run my first 100-mile event - three or four years later than I expected back in 2013, but that's what a torn posterior tibial tendon, a fractured ankle and a stress-fractured pelvis will do to your plans!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    After a very busy October with a 50, a100, and a double marathon in one month, I'm now having a break, partly induced by tendon problems in my right knee which I'm going to have get sorted asap.

Plans for next year include the Malvern Hills Ultra (45), Brecon Beacons 10 Peaks (55) and a couple in Snowdonia, including a new 50 as well as the established 50 which is actually 58.  No date announced for that last event yet, though.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    tricialitt - thanks for waking this thread again.  

For me next year I have a 40 miles in March, 39.3 in April, 34.2 in June and a 6 hour in October.   I'm also planning to do my first 24 hour race for what I think will be 10 years, just waiting for the date to be finalised.  There are a couple of more pencilled in but I don't think the budget will stretch to do those as I need to travel to Ireland to do them, I only do road events so have to go further afield to find my ultras.

Meanwhile base training has started....

• Hi All

A group of us agreed to do our first ever ultra this year and found a couple of good ones. We found a 31 mile one which is a bit hilly but looks perfectly doable that we want to sign up for but it says we'll have to show evidence of having completed an ultra event previously (worth 2ITRA points). 

My question is how strict are they about this? And my follow on question is if they are strict how easy is it to blag? 

It felt a bit like going for an entry level job which says "experience required"
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DD92 - I'm sure they would check the results of your qualifying event, you wouldn't and shouldn't even consider trying to blag it.

It's obviously the distance that is not the issue of the event you want to enter but the severity of the course.   Your naivety of ultras is obvious when you consider it an entry level event.   Unfortunately you considering trying to blag your entry could put events like this in jeopardy, shame on you.  

Choose an event that doesn't need qualifying points to start with and pencil in your preferred event next year when you have the qualifying points.
  • DD92: I agree with Shades. If it requires previous ultra experience for a 31M/50K there will be a reason! And proof of that previous experience will be needed. Find another one first. Get some hilly trail marathons done and some less-hilly short ultras and go on from there.

Shades, whereabouts in the UK are you, roughly? If you don't mind lapped courses and can get to southeast Kent, there are a number of the SVN 6-hour events that are on road (okay, traffic-free tarmac and/or concrete. Even a 50-mile/12 hour in mid-April. Friendly, low-key, great bling and lots of chocolate!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Debra - I'm in Devon, pig of a drive to Kent from here so I've not done any of Traviss's events, I've seen the courses and they're not really appealing, I don't mind laps but hate concrete.   

I've got a 40 mile in March at Llanelli, 39.3 Connemara Ultra in April, Dartmoor Discovery in June, then hoping for a 24 hour in Ireland in September.  Might do the Bath Tunnels 50km too in August, although it's advertised as trail it's 95% good tarmac. Doing a 6 hour in October too.   There are a lot of other ultra  events I could do in Ireland, all road but limited by budget unfortunately.   
  • Not so convenient from Devon, I agree. For information, several of the 'road' SVN events are tarmac rather than concrete (I prefer trail myself and I do prefer tarmac to concrete, if that's the choice) - e.g. that 50 mile/12 hour event I mentioned.

And there are lots more trail events I'd love to do but the travel time starts making it difficult, including some closer to you as well as Cumbrian and Scottish events.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Debra - I don't have any space in my race diary in April, marathons fill in the gaps between my ultras.   I've done one of the Dorney Lake 6 hour events which I enjoyed but I chose to stop at marathon distance that day.   

But I've run out of budget for any more longer trips away from home this year as I would need overnight stay for any Kent races and it's a lot of petrol money too.
  • Shades, I totally understand - I was only putting the info in for clarity.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Debra, it is appreciated...if only you could move Kent a little nearer, then.... :)
  • If I could do that... Given that my and my husband's work keeps us in London, I have often wished it was possible to bring the Lake District closer - I'm originally a Mancunian and used to the Lakes being only 90 minutes or so away, not 6-7 hours or more!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's a hell of a drive to the Lake District too.  I love Windermere marathon but driving back after the race on the M6 was tortuous so now I do Worcester marathon instead, easy drive up the M5.
  • Ah well that's a shame :( 

It looked a reasonable course for a first time event 31 miles, 4000ft of assent. We've all done marathons and long distance fell running and the 4 of us were going to run as a group. We're not by any means underestimating the scale of it but it seemed to be a pretty sensible event for first timers. 

Out of interest is it the race organisers who have the requirement or is it a requirement of the race licence? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DD92 - I would imagine it's a condition of their permit and therefore their race insurance.
  • Here's what I learnt from my first ultra, hopefully it's of some use:

1. ALWAYS CARRY WATER
    Whether you think it will weigh you down or not don’t even think twice about not taking water with you. Yes, there is likely to be aid stations throughout the route, however sometimes you’ll want something before this. Having a constant supply of water is key.

2. RUN IN YOUR ‘NORMAL’ SHOES
    Obviously a change in terrain is apparent in an ultra, with the Dukeries route covering almost every surface possible I had no idea what shoes to wear. With lots of different views and opinions of people telling me to get some new trail shoes, I ended up going with my gut and wearing my everyday Adidas Ultra Boost ATR – and would honestly recommend them! Stick to what you’re used to, you’re on your feet for an awfully long time, at least do your best to keep them happy!

3. CARRY SWEET & SAVOURY SNACKS
    As a complete and utter sweet tooth fiend, my biggest error was not taking any savoury snacks with me. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I was craving ready salted hula hoops at about 30 miles! Your body is doing something crazy – make sure you cater for these adverse cravings.

4. TRAIN SMART
    Whilst endurance is obviously key to any ultra-marathon, training the bit between your ears is just as important! When your body feels like it can’t go much further (and trust me.. it will) it’s a real case of mind of matter that will keep you going. Don’t underestimate what you are putting yourself through, and just make sure you’re just as well mentally prepared as you are physically.

5. STAY ON YOUR FEET
    Yes, obviously whilst you’re running. But more so in the build up to the run. When you could be out for hours on end, ensuring your feet are used to being on the ground for that amount of time is key. It’s not easy to train your feet to not get tired when you’re working in an office all day (trust me I know this), but if you can even substitute one way of your commute to walking, or including back to back training runs into your schedule just to prepare your feet for what’s in store you’ll be thanking yourself for it later – I promise!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    A helpful post, Lily.  Sounds like you enjoyed your ultra and will be doing more of them!

2. Shoes.  If you go in for trail and offroad ultras you will need several different types of shoe with different levels of traction for varying underfoot conditions, depending on the course and the time of year.  You will probably find, like most offroad runners, you will build up a large collection whilst looking for the 'perfect' shoe!

3. Food.  In ultras, especially in the latter stages, you need 'normal' food, especially that with high salt content.  Peanuts are about the best thing.  Always start eating from the first checkpoint onwards.  Once you're running on an empty stomach you're in trouble.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Just getting my 2018 diary organised which I think will have at least four ultras:

Malvern Hills 45
    10Peaks Brecon Beacons (55)
    Beacons 50
    Dartmoor Highground 50

Anyone else doing any of these?
  • Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this forum/thread is dead or not, but here goes...

I'm doing my first ultra on Sunday, just a 50k down the canal. I'm wondering how much water to carry. I need 2 bottles to balance my backpack, so maybe 2x500ml. Does this sound about right? There are water stations at 10/20/25 miles. Done a few marathons but haven't really any idea how much I drank on them!
  • Hi Dave, yes, carrying 2 x 500 ml should be fine for that. And have fun!