Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Are you running Paris Marathon this year OO

Stevie - hopefully the snow and ice clear.  10 miles tempo on the treadmill would not be fun!

An interesting way to get the 10 miles in Gul.

That's a good week DT19 and 16 in those conditions is still good going.

Well done on the victory Gerard - a fitting end to the series.

A tough 20 miles Lorenzo and well done on getting the PR launched.  The last 3 miles of my 20 miler were at 7:05 m/m pace.

Recovery runs today, 10K at lunch-time and 6K this evening. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on retirement OO, enjoy Paris.

SBD - Luckily it seems to have cleared so the treadmill has been avoided. I think I would have melted at tempo pace! Although it might have prepped me for the inevitable heatwave on London Marathon day!

Looking forward to the last two big weeks of training. Aiming to get 45 miles this week and 50 next then taper.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - snap! I bought a backpack too, plus a few pairs of socks. Only ever done a couple of sessions on a dreadmill, so can't help you there I'm afraid.
    OO - yes, that must be really weird. How long to go now?
    SBD - needs must. There is another closer  by, but it doesn't open until 6am ;)
    It took me ages to re-program the timer on the Church boiler this morning, so only time for 5.5 progressive miles avg pace 6:56 m/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO- Congrats on the pending retirement.

Stevie- Looks like you will be saved from treadmill tempo nightmare.

Nice short sharp run this morning, Gul.

Enjoy the recoveries, SBD. Oddly sunday I felt completely wiped from the 16, more like I had run a 20.

Yesterday however I felt great so headed out on a recovery run with some strides on my go to loop. 6.5 miles on what is a relatively hilly loop came in at 7.41 pace for recovery hr.

Today I did my hmp pace dial in with 2 miles wu and a 1 mile cd. I did this just before Bath and it came out a slightly surprising 6.11mm for 165bpm. I wondered if this was a freak run. Today came out at 6.13mm for 164bpm, so pretty much the same level. Felt hard but steady like it did last time.

Conditions Sunday currently look good so something like illness will probably set in to ruin this one!

• Hello all, been away for a few weeks which I will now explain:

Monday after Brighton half I was out on a tempo run @ 7:15 m/m when a pedestrian looking at their phone walks out in front of me. I lurch to the right to avoid them and feel a twinge in my knee. Finished the run ok on adrenaline I think but when I got home I couldn't climb stairs without significant pain. Rest and ice for a couple of days but with no improvement so i go to the doctor and physio who diagnose a grade 1 MCL tear.

2 1/2 weeks off running is not ideal at this stage in London Marathon prep when I should be running 50/60 miles a week. I've started again now and thankfully pain free (ish) whilst using half the world's supply of tape.

Obviously a massive blow to my sub 3:15 VLM aspirations but the residual fitness I hope carries me through. Any other race I think I would have canned it but I'm here after year's of trying to get a place. Who needs their left knee ligaments anyway?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes I'm doing the Paris marathon in 2 and a half weeks, and because it comes before London it should be the main event. Are you there SBD?

4 months until I retire Gul, but now its announced the work pressure starts to release a bit. I'm planning to enjoy the next few months.

Unfortunately this relaxed attitude to work is spilling over into my running too....3.7 this morning at 9;50 pace 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO54 said:

3.7 this morning at 9;50 pace 

OO - just because you're joining my world of the retired, that's no reason to start running like me !!!   

anyhow, back in action today after a 2 day mini-break - 6 miles, with 2 x 1 mile in there (quicker than 9:50 each, I think) :)     plus a few "strideouts" on the way back . .   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    In my defence Gul I ran with a colleague who is slow of slowsville. Planning a mid week 10 tomorrow, back in Blighty. Let’s see how that goes...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Real bad luck there southwarkrunner. Hopefully it's almost fully recovered, just don't push it too much. As you say, you still have a great base. Maybe have a shorter taper to get a few more quality sessions in?

Went for a 12 miler tonight. Went with a mate and we felt nice and comfy. Steady all the way to average 7.08 pace. Good signs as I still have the tough 20 miler in my legs from the weekend. Starting to wonder what my comfy race pace will be after a decent taper.

Still much work to do, including the Cranleigh 21 this weekend which I won't be racing but will be experimenting with race pace...whatever that turns out to be.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Southwarkrunner - Ouch that sounds painful! I'm glad you're on the road to recovery. You've still got 2/3 weeks of running to go so plenty of time to get some good sessions in.

10.5 miles tempo last night, avg of 6.59/mile which I'm happy with as I felt a bit heavy footed and like I couldn't get going. I guess its to be expected at this time!

Will get out for an 8-10 mile easy run tonight and then rest day tomorrow.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - think positive. You are in great shape and are going to smash it on Sunday.
    southwarkrunner - ouch. Maybe the rest will have done you good and just time to sharpen up.
    OO - I think you'll find that was a comment from Birch, although it did cross my mind that you are starting to wind down ;)
    Birch - go anywhere nice on your mini-break? ;)
    GD - nice 12 miler. Do you have a ball-park figure in mind; around 7:00 m/m?
    Stevie - nice tempo run.
    I've now had to scrub the Norfolk 100km race as we're taking Miss GD the younger to Warwick University on that day. Well at least I didn't enter it.
    Accidentally did my third consecutive progressive run this morning. 14 miles, with the first 6 from 8:23 to 8:03 (avg 8:13) and the last 8 from 7:24 to 6:44 (avg 7:01). Better take it easy tomorrow!
  • Hi all

Hoping to piggyback on this thread for some similar advice.

Got my first marathon coming up early May (Milton Keynes) and I am struggling to decide on a time to aim for.

I am running 40-55 mpw and will have 5 or 6 20 milers under my belt by the time race day rolls around. I have done 3 already and felt good on all of them.

Generally the rest of my week includes around 1 or 2 MLRs mid-week. usually around 10-13 miles at a quicker pace, plus some easy runs of 5-6 miles. Despite best intentions i am not really following a plan, just ensuring i hit a long run and faster MLR each week plus some easier runs.

A couple of weeks ago I set a new half PB of 1:29 on a trail half in very muddy conditions - i am confident on a flat road course i could run sub 1:25.

Initially when i signed up to the marathon last year i had sub 3:30 in mind but i feal i could better this - just not sure by how much. Going into the final 5 weeks before taper i would really like to know what i should consider goal MP!

Is 3:15 a good goal to aim for? i want to push for a good time but also wary that it is my first marathon and dont want to blow out at 20 miles.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oops sorry Gul & Birch. Definitely a sign of old age when you start mixing up names.

That's a very nice run Gul. I tried something similar to kick start my week this morning. 4 warm up at 6am. Then restarted the watch for 10 more at 7:45 pace. I know it's not great but for me that's pretty pacey on a solo run. I was planning 3 more warm down but my foot was starting to ache so I bailed out while the going was good.

Junior just entered night of the 10K's in May. She's not in great shape after the stress fracture but will hopefully get back to some sort of form. We have booked trains to go down- it was a great night out last year, seeing PMJ and few old running pals. Will your son be running it Birch?   

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Southwarkrunner - that sucks after a strong performance at Brighton. Like others have said, you hopefully have a good base and there's certainly time to get a few weeks of solid training in and some long runs. With the 1:28 half I would think sub 3:15 should be well within your grasp.
    DT19 - Great pace for such a low heart rate, smashing it. 
    OO54 - good luck in Paris, hope it's not as hot as last year - hope you can make it through the wilderness of Bois de Bologne at the end!
    StevieWh - great tempo run; that's almost exactly what I am aiming for tomorrow; first proper tempo off the treadmill, really find it hard to get up to consisitent faster pace outside unless it's a race - any tips?
    Gul Darr - impressive progression, need to work on those myself rather than 20 mile slow slogs.
    Running Man - I'm no expert but 3:15 would seem achievable to me with that base - you're in better shape from your HM time than I was last year (and this year!); and I went under that. Everyone is different though.

Recovery run Monday, felt hard after clocking 50+ in 4 days last week, gym session on Sunday and my PT pushing me into a treadmill sprint/kettlebell set program Monday morning; but felt better at the end.

Last night's 10 x 500s at the track were hard but good, ranging from 1:35 - 1:43; really starting to 'enjoy' those sessions. With 12 easy and a 8-10 tempo planned tomorrow; should be a high mileage week with 22 on Saturday and a couple of small recoveries. Think I might finally have got the residual jagermeister out of my system from holiday!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Nicko - I find it difficult too, especially in the dark! I try to set out fast and get into a rhythm but I tend to end up looking at my watch a lot and yo yoing pace. Sorry that's not very good advice!

I definitely need to get some races in after London. I've got no idea what any of my paces are anymore, I think Ill try and get to Parkrun during taper for at least a mini race experience.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stevie - I think I just need to suck it up, find a good long stretch and stick it out; try and actually use the training zones thing on this fancy watch.

Definitely enter some races after London - I always get in a slump after and lose all the good work that has gone in before; then it's so much harder to get back into it.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've done Paris a few times Nicko, those runs through the 2 bois are not what you are expecting. Then neither is wine on route, or sections of the road covered in discarded in bananas. All in all a good one though and pretty flat. It was frozen in Paris yesterday but could all change in a couple of weeks....
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Nicko - I'd love a good long stretch to run down! My routes tend to involve a lot of turns and crossing roads which doesn't help.

OO - Would you say Paris is a good course for a PB attempt? I'm thinking about attempting GFA (Sub 3.05) in either Autumn or next Spring. Paris is on my shortlist, along with Chester, Abingdon, Manchester and Barcelona!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    OO54 I ran Paris last year, found the Bois at the end the most disheartening part of the race - into the cobbles and the slight incline sapped my strength and then no crowd support until the last half mile from what I remember.

Must have missed the wine on course! Will make up for that if I ever make it to marathon du medoc.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

southwarkrunner- Sorry to hear that. A pretty unfortunate outcome to something I find myself do a lot of.

Gul, nice progressive run.

Running man- If you have done the training for a marathon then a 1.29 trail half ought to get you in the mix for sub 3.10. My first marathon I came off a 1.31 road half and was 3.18.

Nicko, sounds like you are training hard. Some good 500s there.

Stevie, plenty of races kicking about pre London to help you there and lots afterwards locally as well.

On that point, I am debating my options for the weekend of 08th April. I had planned to run a 5 mile race out towards Solihull (i'll mention the places purely as I know it's local to Stevie and he might have interest) which is flat and a good blow out and my 5 mile pb is my oldest.

However on the same day are the Solihull half marathon and also the Birmingham city half marathon in Sutton park. I am wondering whether one of those halfs is a better option at mp? Neither are UKA races which is slightly disappointing and I know last year Solihull was ridiculously long, but they could serve a purpose.

Feeling pretty good today following the last few days running. Will do an 8 mile easy mlr over lunch and then I have a sports massage tonight which I'm looking forward to. Tomorrow may be the first rest day since 30/1, then short and easy with strides Friday and a rest day Saturday.

I save all my pace work for the local  park/horse racing course. It's flat and exactly 2 miles as a loop with no roads to cross, just dogs and people to dodge and all perfectly surfaced.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    One mention of a wine stop on route and now I'm entered into marathon du medoc!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - Warwick Half is that weekend as well which is UKA registered. I've just found the 5 mile race, its the same day as the half. Do you find these races through your club DT or do you have a site that you use?

That sounds a perfect place for speedwork! I can take a guess as to what course it is.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

nicko - I did Medoc in 2015, absolutely loved it. I was thinking about this year but I can't do it but will defo do it again, hopefully next year.

After a much needed rest day on Monday I jogged 5 miles on lunch yesterday. We had a dusting of snow on Monday but back to normal here and sunny today and into double figures. 5 x 1 km reps off 75s went 3:42, 3:40, 3:38, 3:38 & 3:38 so pretty consistent and 5:53mm average which is ok I guess. Really wanting to get the average down to 5:4x in these sessions but the legs still felt a bit battered today.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie- Solihull area suits me that day as my son has an all day rugby festival in Lichfield so I can run and get there for the last few hours. The 5 miler is part of a 6 month series on the first sunday of each month. Very flat course but not great in wet weather.

I just come across them from years of racing locally, club, parkrun facebook pages etc. There are loads over the summer that you might not know about that are very club specific, namely the Worcestershire midweek series (I always run the Droitwich 10k on a Wednesday night in July) and Warwickshire summer league. There's also 2 10k's in Bromsgrove I run. Let me know if you are looking for races over the summer.

Just over 8 miles at lunchtime at recovery effort came out at 8mm dead on.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes Stevie its fast, comparable to London I'd say. Think I've done it 4 times now, with a best of 3:00:30 rather annoyingly. But I did break 3 a week later in London so it ended well. Organisation is not as good as London though so start and finish can get a bit messy so best not to hang around. Can't comment on the others.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I scored a PB in Paris despite an injury plagued campaign. As OO says, the start and finish are bonkers but it's a good event.

Solid 1k splits there, GM. Nice. 

Wasn't sure what to do on my 6 miler tonight but I knew I wanted some sort of quicker session. First mile came out at 6.28, so decided to stay there for the duration and averaged 6.27. Happy with that after 12 solid miles last night.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Just the one marathon (Brighton) for me OO - I'm usually pretty recked for a few weeks after racing 26.2 miles.  What motivated you to run Paris & London?

Good recovery miles DT19 - hope the sports massage was fun.

Consistently fast reps Gerard - are you using a track for these sessions?

Welcome Running_Man - still plenty of training time but Sub 3:15 sounds like it should be achievable.  You could try running some MP miles at the end of some of your longs runs to see how they feel.

Good progression on the MLR Gul.

It was 10 degC and sunny this afternoon - was I dreaming?  Track session, 5 sets of 1200m, with the reps coming out at 4:35, 4:35, 4:35, 4:32 and 4:31.  Beginning to feel like I can attack the intervals a bit more which must be a good sign.  W/u and w/d bringing the total distance to 11 miles. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, don't know how you can run marathons at pb level on consecutive weekends. I'm not sure id be up for it 4 or 5 weeks apart. 

Nice reps, Gerard. 

Nice reps also, SBD. Massage was brutal and long overdue. Scheduled a few in through April building to London. 

I'm glad now I've scheduled a rest day tomorrow as I think I'll be a bit sore. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well I originally entered London but then got a free place for Paris through work as we were a sponsor. I thought I'd take Paris easy but as the race got close it seemed more logical to go for it since it was first and I was fresh. But I had a near miss on the day. The following week I really had nothing to lose. The last few miles were hell on earth but the legs got me there and I ran a much smarter more even paced race. I was wrecked for weeks after and certainly would not recommend it, but it does make a good story...   
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    runningman - it's very difficult to know how you're going to convert your HM time to mara, but personally I would be slightly more cautious and aim for 3:20, say.
    OO - good luck to jnr; how long is it since the stress fracture?
    nick - good week of training. Enjoy the 22 miler.
    DT19 - nice to have lots of racing options!
    GM - great 1k reps.
    GD - that's a very speedy 6 miler.
    SBD - excellent interval session.
    11 easy miles this morning avg pace 8:20 m/m. It's those last few days of March when daylight comes just early enough to run out of town (and back) despite there being no street lights. Then the clocks go forward and I have to wait until May to do it again. Most annoying.