The Middle Ground

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good session JGav - not surprised your legs struggled to dial into the pace after that the day before!

Tempo session today - after a warm up it was 3 miles at tempo (target 7.15/7.20 pace) then 4(200 hard, 200 jog) then warm down. 

Tempo section came out at 7.11 average, then the 200s were all at between 5.40 and 5.50 pace. Felt like a good workout.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    how is prf, alehouse? Has his health issue resolved?

Sounds positive in terms of progress. 

Jgav, yes bike work like that will stop you hitting top end run paces. What half is your wife doing? To be honest I have no issue with -1. I'd rather than to say 12c. At Ashby however there is forecast to be 18mph easterly winds with a wind chill temp of -9. Personally I think they'll cancel it. You can't have volunteers stood around for 4-5 hours in rural locations in those temps. 

it does look like the Droitwich half will be going head which is 10 minutes from home and 11am start so I'll just turn up there and enter. 

good session, Andrew.

8 miles at 8.30mm tonight. Utterly effortless and I feel a bit lazy recently running so many miles slow but I feel like I'm getting gains. I was bouncing tonight and desperate to run faster but kept to plan. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    She's doing the Palace Half.  They sent her an email today saying that the race is on with only 1cm of snow predicted.  I bought her some arm warmers as a present and hope they arrive today.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I see Ashby was called off!

Went to see physio today re back and did a fair range of back mobility exercises...plus ran a mile in 6 minutes 30, although it was a bit of a cheat as it was at 70% bodyweight on the anti-gravitational treadmill. Will see what the reaction is tomorrow.

PRF hasn't mentioned his skin cancer in the last couple of times we have made contact so am hoping all is good. I think he will have just set off on a parkrun given that it is just past 8 in NZ and I think that is the time that they start!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good patience DT. You’re not doing very well with cancelled races though!

Good luck to Mrs Gav!

Hope there is no bad reaction to the physio Alehouse.

5 easy paced miles for me this evening. Plan is to do my 8 mile long run tomorrow rather than Sunday this week. Hopefully the snow overnight tonight won’t leave an ice rink on the roads tomorrow!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    8 miles in the snow just completed. All fine underfoot here and not too cold (did have 4 layers on though!).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    so yes, Ashby was cancelled. At 1pm I entered Droitwich half with a plan to run 4 miles wu,  13 at mp and 2 cd. At 14.30 they cancelled.

Probably saved me from myself as I suspect I'd have got caught up in a race given its county half champs and detrimentally affect Liverpool next Sunday. Extremely frustrating though. 

Nice long run, Andrew. I've 22 planned tomorrow. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Mrs Gav did the Palace Half this morning.  0 degree temps with a -8 windchill, 2cm of snow down and the finishing few ks across grass which turned into a bog.  Despite that she came in at 1:59:49 taking over 8 minutes of her previous HM time.  Very proud of her.

Edit:  Winning time this year was 72:xxxx so significantly slower than last years winning time of 66:xx

Shame she's been next to useless with childcare the rest of the day and now I'm exhausted and out of patience from dealing with my small ones.  I'll remind her of this day when I come back from my next race...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a great run there for Mrs jgav. Shoukdvtake more off that next time.

Haha, my wife goes out and runs 10k and needs an hour to get straight. I'm often thrust straight into childcare action as I walk through the door from a 20. 

I managed 16 today. Really didn't fancy it as it was bitterly cold so eased to have managed that. 

Easy week now finally as I raped for Liverpool. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Too many missed sessions for me last week, need to try for more consistency.  Easy 5k at lunch.  Well was easy until the brutal headwind on the last mile which I had to slog through.

And @DT19 please don't rape Liverpool, they won't appreciate it.  You're keeping up some impressive mileage at the moment.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    lol....taper!!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done to Mrs JGav in what sound like pretty horrible conditions!

DT - 16 is a very good effort. Not sure how long it took you, but my 8 on Saturday took me 1hr15 and I wouldn't have fancied being out there much longer!

Rest day as usual today, but with the forecast being mixed for later in the week I expect I will try and do my tempo session for the week tomorrow night. Am looking at 4 miles tempo.

I have now entered a 10k on 8 April, so the plan is to have a hard week this week, then a couple of lighter weeks (whilst still doing a couple of sessions and semi-decent mileage) in order to try and hit the race fresh. Did 46.10ish in the same race 2 years ago - hoping to go around 44.30 this time around (weather conditions permitting, as we seem to have to say these days!).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, I was out for just under 2 hrs 10. I think 1.45 was probably the tipping point for me where it became horrible.

Easy 6.5 last night on my usual reasonably hilly loop came out 7.42mm for entry level easy hr which was positive. Lunchtime I am planning 4 at hmp just to give me some idea of where I am at. I haven't raced since new years eve, and timing wise that was far from optimal, so I have no idea realistically where I am at.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

4 miles went well coming in at 6.13mm for 164 hr so still some way off my usual race effort hr which is good given I was practically running 10k pb pace, less 3 seconds a mile.

8 miles over lunch as a recovery run came out 8mm.

Other than a short run Friday and some strides I am now going to taper for Sunday. I'll soon find out if my watch/hrm is broken or I am faster!

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Does sound very encouraging DT. I am planning 4 miles at tempo effort tonight (so marginally slower than 10k pb pace - I don't use a HRM, so will only be able to go by feel, but hopefully it will feel as good as yours did!).
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    On a swim bike focus, so run is taking a backseat.  Did a gentle 5k on Monday and have some intervals planned for lunch today, that will be it for the week I think. Hard swim tomorrow and a long bike on Sunday.  May try to fit in a run on Saturday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

im enjoying my first rest day since end of January. I have had to leave all my kit at home to avoid the temptation as Thursday lunchtime my favourite sufferfest class is on.

Had a fairly brutal sports massage last night. Pretty sore today but well needed. In the build up to London now I am going to get a few in just to properly loosen off. Another lighter massage tomorrow morning which is a more stimulatory affair. Quite looking forward to getting a race on finally!

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

A stimulatory massage hey DT?

Gav - I have no idea who people find the time (or energy) to train for a tri - so hats off to you!

Last night's tempo didn't happen - have had a bad lower back the past couple of days, so decided to postpone and just do an easy 4 miler instead at about 8.50 pace.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Rub Club intervals was a 10x300m session with 90 recovery.  He said to target 3k pace (and originally said it was going to be 8 reps) so I took it to mean just go hard. 

Ran around 5.18mm pace, a few at 5.15mm and a few came out closer to 5.20 but then it did depend on whether there were other pedestrians getting the way.  Couldn't make the 10th rep and so I cruised it at 7mm rather than just sack it off.

Please with the session and now legs need recovery.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Legs are still recovering from that session, not run at those paces for a while!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good session, jgav.

I'm just sat a brewers fayre connected to my hotel just off m62. Conditions tomorrow look near perfect, which I see as payback for all the previous weather related crap. Let's  are feeling in good order, I just need to be able to sleep now. 
  • Good day Middle Grounders :-)

I noticed a comment about my head surgery above. Thanks for taking an interest in my wellbeing. In the end it all turned out ok....a diagnosis of 'a 99% chance of a sebaceous carcinoma', which is a very aggressive cancer was overturned after analysis of the material removed during surgery. It was then reclassified as benign with no further check ups required.

Ironically I am now living in the skin cancer capital of the world due to a hole in the ozone layer directly above us..... New Zealand.

Anyway, this is a running forum. In terms of London training it is going to be very interesting to see how training in hot, humid temperatures right up to the week of London turns out on the day. 

Because of the humidity it is apparently equivalent to training at altitude in that it thickens the blood and makes you work harder for any given output. Then when you race in 'normal' conditions you feel relatively easy. We will see....

To judge how things are going I ran a flattish half marathon at Huntly (just south of Auckland) this morning and came away with a surprisingly nippy time of 1:19:10, that's only 30 secs off the fastest time I've managed in the last 25 years to give a bit of context. There may be something in this high humidity training after all........?

I'll pop in every now and again to get a flavour of the VMLM build up.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, PRF!

Not wishing to spoil anything, but well done today DT!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Alehouse!

I ran well and would have posted a decent pb of around 82.50 but for the course finishing at 12.7 (or .8) miles. I ended up with 1.21.15. I've basically walked away with nothing is how I feel. Be interested to see what runbritain etc make of it and what the organisers have to say. 

Good to hear you are well, PRF.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's not good re the race distance DT! Did others think it short? I would see a good solicitor!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    yes, one guy I spoke to didn't have his watch display on during race and crossed the line in sub 80 and was crying with delight,vthen he looked at watch. on my strava the furthest measurement was 12.8x. Some people were blindly ignoring it and claiming fantastic pbs, blaming it on the twists and turns, subway we went under and tree and building interference. But frankly when you get what seems to be 80% of experienced runners reporting sizeable pbs there's an issue. I will be messaing the organisers this evening seeking a full explanation as it's not good enough. This event has cost me £150 plus taken up most of my weekend and I've not received their part of the bargain, which let's be fair is not a difficult thing to get right.  
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed a lot of tweets claiming pbs. Obviously there can be interference from turns etc. Were the mile/km markers about right? Presumably they have a measurement certificate?
    On a different note you can take a lot of positives from the event, showing you are in good shape. What's the plan between now and London?

PS: I notice you are no longer in the results, along with several others, including second!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed that earlier which is bizarre. Yet if you search for me as an individual my details come up. 

No, not even mile 1 corresponded to my gps, hiwever the gap between the two went big at 5 mile mat. 

Yes they have a cert however we had an e mail last week saying due to road works that have had to slightly change course. I've just seen on strava though some guy claim to have plotted route on mapometer at 13 17 miles.

What I have to keep remembering is if that race went the full distance I would have still pbd by 30-40 seconds, which isn't insignificant. 

I'm having 10-12 days of hard training then taper. There's a local half 2 weeks out I think I'll do as an mp run. Funnily that measured over 13 3 miles last year! Might parkrun this coming weekend as well. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm back in the full results now. Have a mailed organiser for explanation. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to their reply, DT!
    Re your training, I would take a couple of days easy after today: all too easy to get carried away and end up injured or overtrained. Someone here used to say it is better to be 5% undertrained than 5% over.