Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    TR.. great miles so plenty of hay in the barn now, and yes I do remember the toaster phrase.  Avoid brown muffins at all costs  :s

Jools.. from little acorns etc.  Good to see you back in proper training of sorts.

CD.. marvellous track hamster stuff in the peace & quiet.  We are fortunate to have a long straight traffic free cycle track nearby which runs from York to Selby, about 7m long.  Entirely through countryside so a quiet run is assured.

Al P.. amazing doubles there and the frazzled legs were fully deserved  ;)

UDS.. lesson learned  :/ (happened to me once 5m from home) but still a confidence booster. 

SJ.. the body doesn't lie so you need a couple of very easy days now.  Kudos for getting 18m done anyway.

LMH.. the coach chap that visited our club did echo your thoughts as in 'don't try and increase speed and endurance at the same time'.

Dan A.. good effort on the track after a long run the previous day.

Jooligan.. a good week of miles there, though a hangover serves you right obviously  :) 

Having said that I sunk 3 pints last night and ran my quickest Park Run for months today.  Then the Park Run folks added 7 seconds to it  :|  2m warm down plus an afternoon run so happy enough with 5m + 5m today.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well parkran Wardi. Disappointing to lose 7s but at least it wasn't a blanket 59:59 clocking.
    I'm curious LMH. A page or 2 back you mentioned doing no speedy running during training, does no speed include MP &/or LT efforts?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Joolska - Good to see you getting back to it more.

Wardi - excellent booze and parkrun combo.

Jools - LMH is far too humble to blow her own trumpet, so I'll give it a toot for her. LMH smashed herself up so couldn' tri anymore, so she switched to run only, improved so much that she went sub3 as a vet lady and made the AG podium at vlm. She has knocked massive chunks off her marathon time. If anyone evers asks how to get quicker at the marathon, then LMH has nailed it, 100+ mpw at peak with no doubles (which needs an average of over 14M per day, every day, in one run). She is proper hardcore.
  • Options
    Jooligan - I only run faster than easy if I'm racing or when I'm trying to pull it together for a fast last mile, no tempo, lactate, hills, intervals, MP or anything at all.

It's god to see you enjoying your retirement Wardi.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Thanks LMH. Super high mileage obviously works for you. Very impressive results. How often do you race? Do you ever race over distances shorter than 10K?
    Curious as I've slowed my training down by about 40s/mile (now MP+25%) since start of November with good results but I race something most weekends, often twice if parkrun is included.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Dizzying CD.
    You will get that speed back really quickly now Joolska. 
    Nice park run Wardi post 3 pints - you live dangerously.  
    UDS - My days of fasted long runs long gone exactly for what you suffered, hard enough as they are.
    Jooligan - hard core, I think the racing @ weekends and easy runs in between really works. 
    DanA - Might see you in Chamonix for your post 90K Mont Blanc #internationalplayboyrunningfriends
    Pug - Where are you?  Not injured I hope.
    2 weeks post Barca marathon recovery over so a week of training for the next one in 3 weeks time. Glorious morning for running; unsure of what to do but felt like a longish fastish run so did 11m with3 mwucd, 2m bookend@6.20 and 6m @6.35.for a slightly more than expected 54m for the week and maybe 4m later.  Rest day tomorrow.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good pace in there OO

I was back on my flat 2m section today for an intended 2m easy, 4m effort, 4 easy, 3 effort, 3 easy, 2 effort, 2 easy, 1 effort, 1 easy all adding up to 22m, I have done it near the end of previous campaigns and it's good for breaking up the boredom.
    Ended up lightheaded just before the 2m effort, so after that effort I did 1m easy and then the 1m effort and stopped at 20m. Should have had some breakfast before this one, but 20m inc 10m of hard effort. Efforts came in at 4m (av 6.45), 3m (av 6.44), 2m (6.52 lightheaded), 1m (6.30). Proper tough, running light headed and had some hammy twinge in the last mile.
    I have done this av low 6.30s in the past but that wasn' after a 90m week (after an 84m week...after an 83m week), really struggled to get the legs rotating in the 4m section.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Impressive LRs with the added speedier sections TR & OO.
    Rounded my biggest week ever (113.7M) with my longest run of the campaign: 22.3M of forest cycle trail with 1800ft of climb. No chance of injecting any speed as legs were frazzled & by the end I was just hanging on to keep the average pace consistent.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, huge mileage from LMH, Jooligan and TR.  Makes my total of 38M this week feel even more paltry, although it's my year's best :)
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Onwards & upwards Joolska.
    Definitely peak mileage for me for a while, probably the year, as got to dust the bike off after VLM. Have a big Tri to train for & not cycled since November!
  • Options
    Jooligan - I think I've pinned a number on once this year and I don't parkrun.

That's a solid session TR. Just 21 easy for me today though the last two were the fastest and (just) sub 7. What a glorious day for it - so different to last Sunday!

Joolska - you are making a great comeback, keep doing what's right for you.

Nearly time to taper OuchOuch:-)
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    One race & one PB LMH. B) Good stats. Sub 8 counts as fast training in my book so sub 7 after 19M is flying. Good work
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Joolska - you'll get back to it in time. I couldn' run a double digit run for the best part of a year, recently I've done two in a day. Keep plugging away.

LMH - ooh sub 7! Agreed on the weather, could have done with this at Worthing.

Jooligan  - big miles there. I hear you on the tired legs, my legs groaned so much after the first effort today that I thought I'd have to sack if off when I next got to the home end of the 2m stretch.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wow, everyone seems to be stepping it up now!

TR - that's a great run of mileage, I think you might surprise yourself once the taper kicks in.

CD - 84 laps, that must have been tough mentally, although you may be one of those people that prefer doing stuff like that as monitoring the lap times distracts you a bit. We had a discussion about the extra distance going clockwise a while back (I think it started with PP's laps of Millwall) and I don't think we ever really came to a conclusion!

Pretty pleased with my weekend of training. Parkrun on Saturday on another new course (they're trialling alternatives because there are now too many runners for the old one), which was reasonably fast but a decent chunk on the grass. A few reasonably quick clubmates showed up so I had to work pretty hard to win in 16:53.

Then the 20M Gade Valley training run yesterday. First 10M easy came in at 67:30, which included 3M on the canal towpath that was quite muddy/rocky and a couple of hills after that. Then picked up the pace for the 2nd 10M and that came in at 58:30 - again, a couple of hills so mile splits varied from 5:30 to 6:20. The flatter ones were about 5:45 except for the last mile on the towpath which was slower due to the surface. I continued on to 21M and had done about 1.5M warm-up, and that got me to 72M for the week. Nowhere near a lot of you, but that's my biggest week for several years.

My legs actually feel OK this morning, although the soles of my feet are a bit sore thanks to wearing racing flats on the towpath.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Oops I'm lagging by a couple of days, but quickly:

Al_P -- wow, your Coro 10 is exactly the kind of quality I'm totally unable to do if I've been packing the miles in.

CD -- very intrigued by the GPS measuring so differently when you went the other way round the track! Maybe it has a secret "hmm looks like my owner is running track laps" mode and it tries to make it fit with a conventional track size...

TR -- great miles, I got good ROI the first year I did that kind of thing, maybe you'll get a nice surprise in the race.

Interesting what you said about LMH's big miles in single runs training -- maybe that's why I was better just after Xmas, when I was doing long singles instead of doubles?

Well parkwon Padams, great time on the grass, and that's a quick second 10M in the 20M race.

I will get a terrible scolding from TR now -- I had Fri & Sat off as planned, so I actually had properly fresh legs on Sun, and nice weather too. So I did my standard reps/tempo session (2x0.5M, 2x1M, 2x2M, 1x4M ish) taking me to about 14M, then steady for 12M. Grand total -- a 2hr55 training marathon, which felt great. Fuelled only by a big mug of black coffee beforehand. That was a bit better than at the same time last year, though not as good as 2 weeks out from Chester last autumn; overall it made me much happier that I'm still in with a shout of sub-2:40 again if all goes well, anyway.

I probably did overdo it though -- my legs were pretty cranky for my jog to work today, but I didn't want to not run today, as tomorrow will be exercise-free because of a work jolly.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Great weekend long running from Stu, CD (on the track would drive me potty!), SJ and TR (well stuck out)

TR - I'm sure the consistent mileage will pay dividends come race day, it's just about keeping the Sword (of Damocles) out of the toaster

Jooligan - Well parkrun given the miles and drink! Tasty not flat LR too.

Joolska - Welcome back to faster running  :)

Wardi - Well parkrun too, clearly the beers helped  ;) Looking fairly likely I'll be able make it to York parkrun this weekend (as long as we don't plan some big family away day...). Looking on the parkrun website I see that as of this weekend there will be 3 runs in the vicinity of the city, including an inaugural. Guessing that the original is still the best?

OO - Nice quick MLR there

Padams - Nice work on the parkrun 1st. Quality -ve split long run with very sub-60 mins 10miler  B)

CW - Great work on the training sub-3 

A fairly light weekend for me, did 10M inc Brockenhurst parkrun over 30s faster than last week. Unlike the previous week a few quick people turned up and a lady with her canicross dog as well. The canine duo went off at rocket speed and I thought we'd not see them again, but the gap stablised by the end of mile 1 (5:28) and it became clear that the dog was going in fits and spurts. Me and another guy got close a couple of times but then the dog would find some energy and sprint off. Got on the shoulder at around halfway and managed to go with the next surge. this broke me away from the non-canine runners and when the dog dropped off again I was left in the lead. The 2nd half was hard work with 2 decent hills and legs fatigued by the early pace, but I held it together to cross the line first in 17:25. Hadn't quite got over the 100M line for the week, so ran 7ish to Netley Abbey junior parkrun the next morning to make it 105M for the week.

Got out very early this morning for 14M very easy (7:26/M) inc a few with a mate who manages Alton Sports in Eastleigh. Very ploddy to start with but it picked up (tired from not great sleep). A cup of leaded coffee perked me up for a lunchtime run, which turned out to feel pretty good, so i did just over 12@6:49/M to make it a double digit double run marathon day. Threw a smattering of stride pick ups in as well.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Padams - Good confidence builder there, seeing some good numbers.

CW - I can cope with that run if you promise to keep it to 20m max now. You must have done so many training marathons this campaign (and hardly any 20s). Agreed, if you did a LMH typical week of MLR and LSR you would be in good shape.

Big miles there AL, esp a Monday double double inc double mlr ! Have you been doing many long runs this campaign.

I was a bit stiff legged after ydays tough run, and still had a tight hammy (which tightened in the last mile yday), so just some easy miles for me today.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Dan - how's the sesamoiditis? I had that years ago. Ended up having to have a cortisone injection to clear it (not something they're keen on in there).

TR - good mileage being bagged!

Al_P - likewise. Steady 10 and the parkrun in particular bodes well.

Padams - sounds like you're coming along nicely, particularly with those alternating lap 1200s and the Gade Valley run. Any idea what you'll expect marathon effort to equate to roughly?

CW - I can never wrap my head around how frequently you do training marathons, but it certainly seems to work for you!

sj - 7 days rest!? Were things that bad? How are you feeling now?

Jools - sounds positive on the breathing front with the 6 x 1km, even if the pace is not where you wanted (you know that will come back).

Been hectic here still. Work is finally starting to calm down, and I got another assignment in (had to get a 3 week extension because of work) with a decent score. Virus seems to finally be almost out. 54 last week, but 46 of that was between Thursday-Saturday. All relaxed. And then 20 today with a few light short surges in there. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    That is amazing mileage and pace Al-P.

Glad to hear you're continuing to get better TippTop.

I don't suppose my approach would work for everyone TR and in some ways I'd like to do some speed work - just not enough to risk breaking myself and being unable to run.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you're on the mend TT.

Nice pace in the MLR OO!

TR.. great session in amongst the long run.

Padams. . Well done on the Park  Run win and excellent pace for the multi terrain 20m.

Charlie.  That sort of run is clearly what makes you tick so no tut tuts from me. ☺

Al P. . Congrats on another Park Run win and breaking the mileage ton again.  Local park run courses... Selby is on a dirt track circuit around an airfield.  Badly flooded lately so currently an out and back course.  Heslington  (York Uni)  is pretty quick around a lakeside course though the turns are a bit tighter than York racecourse.  Indeed since you last ran at York the slight kink after 2k has been taken out and compensated by a longer finishing straight so a good  2-3 seconds quicker ?   I will be there barring disaster.

I'm over in Nice now, after yesterday's 15m at home and 67m for the week my legs are creaking a bit, so will take it easy and have a couple of rest days here.  Sunny and pleasantly warm which is bliss after our long winter.  Loads of runners trotting up and down the promenade (7k long) so I will undoubtedly join them for a run or two in the coming days.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    TR - My longest run since January was 19M which was the day I was meant to run the Essex 20, apart from that I've done 8 runs of 15 or more miles. That includes a damp 16 this morning from work.

TT - Going the right way  B)

Wardi - Cheers for the tips, turns out the inaugural run at New Earswick to the North of York is cancelled due to a waterlogged course, not a great start :'( Enjoy sunny Nice  B)

• Options

Bloody hell some great training in this lot, not got enough time to through everyone, but read all the entries! Great Joolska is back on the training train again. TR - Hardcore! USD - Who did you run round MK with

Padams - towpath - pain in the arse on the Gade Valley 20, remember that from the time I did it, 2015 I think. Great time though from you.

I did the LFOTM on Friday and surprised myself with 3rd and 15.59 - not been under for a while. Knee still is a bit 'squishy' and more swollen than the other one, but not really painful when running. Hopefully it will go away soon. I think there's hip/quad/hip flexor issues tbh.

Gentle parkrun with the kid Saturday morning, then helped my mate out with some marathon training Sunday. We did 2m warm up, then 4 x 2 miles MP, with a mile at 7mm in-between. the MP efforts were 5.40's so had to put the Adios on. Hobbled home basically after the last rep! Lighter shoes are a killer sometimes..but had to run in them tbh..

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wardi - very envious of your Nice trip. I have good memories of running up and down that prom from the Ironman - it was pretty painful at the time but got me the Kona place!

SC2 - good effort keeping up with your mate, you're obviously going well with that LFOTM time plus lots of miles at 5:40 pace.

TT - well done squeezing in >50M around the hectic work schedule, you won't be losing fitness with that. Regarding your question, I wish I knew the answer! But based on Sunday I suspect/hope it will be around 5:45m/m, taking into account the taper, the hills at Gade Valley and having others to run with. So probably not in PB shape but something reasonably respectable. A few clubmates have improved a lot this year so I need to try to keep in front of them!

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TT - Good to hear from you - Paris still on the agenda?
    Wardi - Envious.
    CW - If it works, it works. 
    Al_P - An impressive marathon training run - must be reassuring to run that at that pace at this stage? 
    LMH - With this cycle of marathon racing every 4-6 weeks kind of making it up as I go along. As always the plans contradict each other, lots of easy running vs just MP/fast stuff. So going for middle diddle, a training week then 2 week taper from this weekend. 
    7m today with 2 of those fastish. Nice to run with in the sunshine. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    TT - Good to hear you are feeling better.

LMH - but quicker/harder running might mean less miles on some other days to recover.

AL - interesting on the LT 20m long runs. I think volume is key. All those big double days you have done should see you go well, so it will be interesting to see how this campaign ends. I have only run up to 12m as a mlr but have done 10m home again later.

Simon - speedy 5k, you are one of the few without marathon miles in the legs.

OO - no running in the sun here, I was out in the rain !

The hammy that tightened at the end of Sundays run was still a little tight after ydays 6m loosener, so I had the bright idea of giving it a good stretch, meaning it was proper tight to run on today!!!!! I was planning a 12 + 5 commute tomorrow and a zero Thursday, but I have to go offsite with work tomorrow, and can't run commute, so will take the zero tomorrow instead. I had already declared the double doubles completed for this campaign. No more of those for a few months thankfully.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Al_P - are you following Hansons, or similar?

Wardi - nice in Nice by the sounds of it? Enjoy!

Simon - quality 5km time.

Padams - no, I'm not losing fitness on that, but not gaining either. I also need more to lose weight (maybe about 10-14lbs to lose at a guess). It'll all come. Slowly slowly, etc. 5:45s...... That sounds like sub-2:30 to me with a good taper hopefully!

OO - I'm doing Paris as a fun run (not sure on pace yet, but maybe somewhere north of 6:30s) and making a fun weekend of it with the other half. Hopefully it'll allow me to continue to rebuild mileage.

Fingers crossed for that hammy TR.

6+12 double today. My legs were like lead, but I'll take that after the last few months. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Enjoy your break Wardi and bring some warmer weather back please.

TR - I tend to break quite instantly if I try speed work (as in during the session) so compensating with easier days doesn't work.

Have you really managed to gain that much weight TippTop?
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Last I checked I was over 10st LMH. Pb race weight was 9st 4lbs. I've been carrying most of that for a few months though - combination of the virus impeding training, plus Christmas/post Valencia blowout.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    SC2 - That's a cracking 5k time, one that I aspire to but doubt my legs will ever allow me to go that fast! Top quality MP training run too. On the subject of shoes, I was a habitual user of Adidas Boston Boost/NB 1400s for all training last spring and only race in the Adios'. As part of my rehab from last years achilles issues I have switched exclusively to the plusher Adidas Supernova Boost with Superfeet insoles. This really did seem to be one of the turning points in my injury recovery. So this spring I've been doing everything non-racy in the Supernovas. I'm going to be interested to see what state my feet are in in the latter stages of the marathon in the Adios.... On the up side the weight reduction per foot should be worth a couple of secs/mile!

TR - Not sure I understand what you mean by 'LT 20m Long Runs'? I'm definitely of the opinion that overall volume matters more, the last time I ran 20 or over in training was September 2016! Hope the hammie eases up, cotton wool time approaching  ;)

TT - I'm not following any particular approach closely at the moment, it's mostly of my own tailoring around work/life and previous campaigns. There are elements of Hadd in there and I'm planning to work more on my biomechanic efficiency with 200/200m reps (5k pace+ cruise) in the next couple of weeks (also from the Hadd approach)

Topped up yesterday's early 16 with 8 more at lunch, which felt quite nice. However I have fallen into trap of having a leaded coffee mid-morning to combat a bit of lack of sleep/high mileage and it's definitely perked up my lunchtime runs. Need to get back to decaff again (from tomorrow, got a cup infront of me now!). Did a very wet ploddy 7M pre-dawn this morning, and will go out for something in the region of 10-11 steady(ish) at lunchtime, primarily so I can get it over and done with in the rain faster.

In other news, I'm (co) ED of a new junior parkrun that we've been planning and we got our start date confirmation through from HQ yesterday, very excited  B)

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrun win at the end of a big week Al -- what happens results-wise with a canicross runner then?

TR -- I certainly want to avoid doing another training run that gives me DOMS, that was a mistake. That doesn't rule out a slow 26+ a fortnight out though. Didn't Marigold PB just one week after a 35M training run? Fits with my best HM being a week after a steady 28M run in Jan... Anyway, it's the intensity which gets me, not the distance. I really intend to do a shorter LR this weekend though, as I've done 3 marathons in a row now.

Wardi -- enjoy the tiddley-om-pom-prom, that must be a wonderful place to train (and not a jot of Raynauds, I'm sure).

SC2 -- scorching.

So given a 2-week taper for VLM, I am trying to still bag big miles this week and next, though I didn't do much on Monday (from overdoing it on Sun) and was lucky to get 8M in the evening yesterday after a work trip. 14M so far today in two stints, but my legs are feeling very weary. I had calf DOMS until yesterday, which wasn't a good thing, but maybe gave me the helpful message that I've neglected speed work (which I find more calf-centric). I should probably try and get some more quality in to redress that soon, but without killing myself. But I can only do that on fresh legs, which goes against trying to pile up the miles. Some compromise required I guess.