My Last Run

Comments

• I felt slightly anxious about my planned 17 miler today. A mix of the distances now sounding bloody long and a slight lazy edge to my current state of mind. 

Anyway, I got on with it. Lots of rain here so I decided against my nice LSR trail. It was muddy enough there last week, so I plumped for a flattish headless chicken style route, paved underfoot. I found a good bit of pre-match foam rolling and stretching got me off to a good start. A pleasant drizzle turned into a cold persistent rain for the bulk of the miles, which wasn't amazing. However, fuelling with a couple of gels and my lovely energy balls saw me through at a pleasingly steady pace. Tricky bits were 8, 11 and 16 miles but I finished strongly. 17.2 miles in 2hrs 57mins. I'm knackered now!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Do the hard miles and they start getting easier.  Cracking work, Will!  :)
  • How To Pick 2018 World Cup Soccer Cleats

Best new 2018 World Cup Soccer Cleats to buy!Shop wholesale Adidas Football Boots at kukusoccer.com is proud to have a great selection of 2018 World Cup football boots.

pls do click our links :kukusoccer.com
    thank you for your time, enjoy shopping!
  • Nope, no passport required for the 2 countries run swittle as both Germany and Switzerland are in Schengen so no checks.  Coming from the UK and used to passport controls to get in and out of the country I still think it amusing to be able to hop (not literally) across a footbridge from one country to another.  

I don't think it was the mileage last week, I'm pretty used to 50-55 mile weeks now. I just wasn't in the right mindset to do that run - it is seen by many as one of if not the toughest in the whole plan.  Just one more heavy week and I'll be tapering (gulp...).

Interesting combination with the sausages and flapjacks JT - keep up the good work (running and providing entertaining posts....)

Excellent long run Will.  

Taper going well Cal?

Nice streak stephen.  Enjoy the rest of your rest day.

For me a gentle 6 miler yesterday evening with my group - the first time without turning the headtorch on in months.  OH came out with us as well which was nice.
    And over lunch time today a four miler at around recovery pace spiced up at the end with 6 x 100m strides.  My cap (it was raining) flew off during the first one I was going so fast.. No actually it was a bit breezy.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Will! Long runs can be pretty miserable in the rain (I'm still thinking about that sleety 16 miler I did in January...ugh) but you feel great afterwards.
    Hazel, yeah, P&D sounds tough. I have the book but I don't think I'm what you'd call an advanced marathoner just yet. My longest weeks this cycle have been 1 x 42 and 2 x 41.
    As for the taper, I'll let you know when I'm a bit further along. I only started tapering this week (2 weeks rather than 3 due to that trip to Europe cutting in to what should have been my final tough week). I've run back to back half marathons (consecutive weekends) three times so I'm not too worried about recovery... and I've had good half marathons the week after a long run.
    I have some niggles but I think I'll be OK. I just have to avoid succumbing to maranoia. :cold_sweat:
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Everyone will be fine for marathon season. Good work Will. To paraphrase swit you get used to doing long runs by doing long runs.
    Speaking of which bit under 20.2miles in bit over 2hrs38. This was sort of a holdover from last week. Started out slow and never got much quicker. The weather was odd. It's cold and clear but every so often a pocket of freezing rain and wind passed through and the temperature dropped like a stone. Happened three times and wasn't fun. Painful at the base of my toes on my right foot. Noticed this a few times recently. Probably just a thing. Need to get back offroad to soften the foot pounding. Hard work today but good to breach the 20mile barrier.
    Saw a massive greyhound and at a rail crossing four cars ran the warning lights, the last two actually rounding the falling single lane barriers. F***ing idiots.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in again, and seeing that JT is yet again doing mind boggling distances for no reason than- he can  :o 
    Will, are you too doing big miles for "fun"?
    Cal, keep a lid on the maranoia, and try to enjoy the taper. Won't do any harm to reel it down a bit.
    Hazel, keep focussed, you're doing great and we all have bad runs. The P&D programme is very hardcore from what I know of friends who follow it, and you've put in some ace training over the months.
    Stephen making like swittle and streaking..although not quite 818 days
    Me- this week saw a horrid speed session on Tuesday at 6.15. It was really raining hard and I did not enjoy my 5 x 1k at all, and could never get any speed in my legs.
    Yesterday was 9.5miles at MP which I was dreading too but once I got started, I enjoyed it a lot.
    I'm feeling very tired now but this is the last week of big miles before the taper, so i just need to hang in.  Also we break up today and I'm off to Mersea island for the long weekend with my husband and my youngest (aged 9), for some very very well deserved rest.  I shall swim and do a bit of running but will mainly eat hot cross buns, read, try to relax.  The final 20 mile run I've moved to Tuesday when I'm back from Essex. In previous years I've done laps of the island for my long runs, and it is beautiful and wild in places, but the old man has offered to accompany me on his bike next Tuesday and I'll appreciate his company at this stage in my training. Have  great Easter MLRers

• snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Been a good week, did 7 miles easy and then 45 mins of sprints last night. 20 miles tomorrow, nice and easy pace, before a recovery 7 on Monday. Aim is to do 20 again at marathon pace next week with 2 weeks of tapering to do before VLM number 3

Booked a holiday for the Tuesday after so that's motivating me through these last couple of weeks. Oh, and that sub 4!
  • 5.5 miles done @ 7.39 min/mi pace. Unnecessarily rapid. Up, but not down the muddle path and then along the Hollow Way, in and out the early shoppers. No popping weasels as they are only found on the  City road and it's not the same rhyme now they have gone and closed the Eagle pub. Oh Londium....

Saw a lady running in a huge wooly hat and that dogs back, the shaggy one that sits looking out the yellow framed window. Had a cooked breakfast for the second day in a row. The poached eggs are coming on. Don't stir the water and do use white wine vinegar. Got to go to work now. 

Did I mention I went for a run?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your trip, Nessie!
    Going somewhere ice, snewman?

Well, the taper has kicked in. Aimed to do 6 today. Did 4. Legs felt like concrete and my hamstring was growling at me. I'm getting grumpy too. Good job I live alone.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Dubai, Cal, for a week. Will need it after this weather & training!
    I plan to eat EVERYTHING I see
  • Good streaking, Stephen and nice poaching!

Good luck to those valiant taperers. Not long until marathon days loom. Full respect for you after my let few weeks of proper(ish) long distance training. 

Nice 20, JT - and your 'slow' pace still makes me feel like a snail stuck in reverse.

The streak continueth, Swittle. Quite remarkable. Any wagers on when it may be broken? (Obviously not wishing that on you!)

Great commitment to the cause, Hazelnut and Nessie.

I'm training for an 18 mile race in May, Nessie - so building up to an eventual marathon. I do like the challenge of training just on its own though. Uplifting. Plus, I'm not a fat, drunken slob anymore :)

I enjoyed a wee recovery trot this morning. Just 2 miles in the sun and birdsong. Forget me note were dazzlingly blue.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I went to Dubai just before my marathon last year, snewman. I'm a rollercoaster geek and they have a few good parks there and in Abu Dhabi. They give you goggles to wear on the fast outdoor coasters (like Formula Rossa, the world's fastest, currently). I thought it was health and safety madness until I realised it was to stop your eyeballs from being sandblasted...yeah, you need 'em.

18 miles is not to be sniffed at, Will. Good luck with that. Could an Autumn marathon be in the offing, then?
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Bit over 8.3mile road/offroad in 1hr02. Not so muddy. Saw a couple of pigeons fighting in midair, and a kestrel hovering by the road.
    Ness, you love the challenge of all this marathon training, just 'cause you can - #Nobody's Twisting Your Arm# (starts singing The Wedding Present).
  • Nessie great speedwork - enjoy your break and the hot cross buns (haven't eaten one of those in years!).  Good idea with OH on the bike - wonder if I could talk mine into that on Sunday?

Really idiots at the rail crossing JT, though I admit to having done it out running and on my bike.  Not much chance of getting trapped between the barriers like a car though.  I do take care and only do it if the barriers are falling or have only just gone down.  Nice 20 miler.

Have a good 20 miler tomorrow snewma.

Good plan regarding building the miles not only in training but in racing Will.    

I'm not looking forward to those taper niggles Cal.  Just the reduced mileage!

Nice description stephen. 

Intervalls today - warmup 3 miles, intervalls 4 x 1200m with 3:30 mins recoveries, trot 2.5 miles back again.  10 miles in total. The intervalls were tough work but I managed to avoid the big fade during each one and from number 1 to number 4.  The brook alongside of which I was running is pretty full again, splashed through plenty of puddles.  My once white shoes are now liberally speckled with brown but I use them to run in and not as a fashion statement.  The black ones I tried didn't fit.  

Have a good Easter everyone.  Do chocolate bunnies count as carbo-loading?  Ah - I'm not supposed to be doing that yet.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    6.22 miles. Each mile loop ending on a short 1.5 minute climb. A half-house workout with a total of 435 feet of elevation.  A proper hill repeat workout would have been better but so would World peace and better acting on Hollyoaks but you can't have everything....It took 50:24 minutes including the cool down so  take that persistent drizzle/rain!

• Swift miles Stephen. 

11 miles for me today at a bit more than 9m/m.  OH joined me for the first 4 before turning for home which was nice.  Lots of birdsong to listen to.  Just made it home before the rain started.  Rest day tomorrow then the last pre mara 20 miler to end a tough week.  Ticking off one run at a time but the legs are just tired no real niggles fortunately.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    I feel in danger of picking up some taper madness here!  Full of admiration for the big mileage types gearing down for spring 26.2s and running long....because it is possible.

JT, it's the getting out that counts: pace is a variable bonus imho.  ;)

Nessie, I have a Streaking buddy who lives on Mersea Island - she's struggled since an off road Mara in Yorkshire last autumn - running one-mile Streak savers.  :o

Will, I never start running daily with a target in mind: that would restrict me when/if I got there.  If there's a target at all, it's being fit enough to run the next day.  There'll be plenty of days down the line when I can no longer meet it.

Stephen, interesting info on the nursery rhyme: I'm sure it has a darker meaning...good sessions too.  

So, Hazel, you'll not be exchanging *those* shoes, then?  That is a challenging sesh: well run!   :)

4 laboured miles yesterday, mid morning - couldn't sync breathing and leggage.   :(  Ambushed by a pair of West Highland terriers, chunky, white barrels of fur, determined to get my attention by climbing up my legs!
  • Swittle me beamish boy/girl. Here you go...

Up and down the city road,
    In and out the Eagle.
    That’s the way the money goes,
    Pop! goes the weasel

The City Road is real it goes from Angel down to Old Street tube
    The Eagle is a pub on the City Road. I checked proper and it still there in fact but very 'gentrified'. 
    Doubt anyone going in now ever had to 'pop their weasel' which means to pawn your suit or wool coat to get money as they drunk it all away.

The whole nursery rhyme is basically about the East End working class life. Making ends meet, dodging the rent man and drinking to ease the grind.
    It would now be a song sung by the Libertines....ha so edgy me!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Heh, Hazelnut...maranoia is in full flow now. I went to the cinema yesterday and my foot started complaining when I got back. It was still hurting this morning. Plus, I felt like I might have a cold when I woke up, but seems I was just thirsty and a bit dehydrated.

I decided to do parkrun anyway. I chose Burgess this time, which is a nice fast course and a new one for me (plus it's only 5 stops on the tube plus a mile jog). Some of my clubbies were there doing their monthly speed test, but I also ran into a couple who were at the one I did last week, and had nice chats with a couple of people who had run The Big Half and a guy who'd just done the Barcelona marathon.

After the crap run I had on Thursday I needed to blow off some steam so I went out hard. I didn't manage to maintain it quite as well as last week, but I think that was a marginally faster course and I still managed my second fastest 5K (25:34) so I know last week wasn't a fluke. Now to take it easy for the rest of the week!
  • Great perseverance, Hazlenut. Hope you're looking forward to your taper.

Nice quick hillwork, Stephen and I like the images behind the weasel. 

Swittle, long may the streak continue. A great 'day at a time' philosophy and the continuity obviously is good for your immune system. Do you ever get ill?

That's a great Parkrun, Cal. Maranoia is maybe your way of ensuring your prep is tip top.

I opted for my nice cross country Parkrun this morning at Colney. Great bunch of people there and lots of easter Parkrun tourists. I decided to try some tactics to see how my time would go. It's got lots of little hills, corners and a mofo of a hill that you have to scale twice, so I took the first lap a bit easy, letting my windmill style flail take me down the bumps a bit quicker. I had a bit in the tank for lap 2 and out-sprinted a 100 T-shirt bloke on the finish. A course pb of 26:08 too. Very enjoyable. Now to demolish a host of chocolate goods.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 4.2 miles in the park, only a tad slower than yesterday which was stupid and a habit that I am really too experienced to still do. Pride you see, 'ohh look how fast I can run" Piffle! Still...got latest shoes proper muddy and wet through. They should be dry though for the mornings run as they are all flash and made of super light alien alloys or summit.  Now though another of my white socks are stained with mud and urban running muck. How do others keep theirs clean...or don't they? My experience has yet to stretch to keeping my kit presentable.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a good time for a hilly course, Will. (Well, relatively good - we can't compete with those sub-20 maniacs but you're about my pace so I know I'd be pleased with that).
    Stephen - I don't. I wore a brand new pair of ice blue Zoom Flys to The Big Half, thinking it would be fine as it was a road race, but they got splashed with filthy snow melt and I've not managed to get them clean again. I think the lesson is, buy dark colours where possible.

10 miles today. Felt sluggish. Was going to do 12 but didn't really see the point of flogging myself with the marathon a week away. Time to recuperate now. (Had a hot cross bun for brekkie).
  • Cheers Cal and nice work on your 10. Having checked the Parkrun results, I discovered that the bloke I proudly overtook at the finish was in the 70-74 age group! He didn't look it.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    7km treadmill incline run yesterday. Today 12.15miles in just over 1hr28 so good pace. Rough conditions with persistent hail and bitter wind. Hands, arms and toes a bit numb when I got home. Took in a path between two isolated farms that appears on the OS map, but doesn't particularly exist in real life. Stopped for a pee.
    The hard work done this year by MLRs has been notable. Should pay off.
  • Nice parkrun PB Will including the windmilling. 

My white socks only get rare outings Stephen, most of mine are black as I generally go through rather than round mud and puddles.  I do like my red ones as well though, definitely faster.  Favorite brand is Falke.  Last a long time and I rarely have blisters with them.  Pricey though.

Take it easy this week Cal. 

Fast outing JT.  Paths and maps often don't agree I have found.

Last pre mara 20 miler for me this afternoon in just over 3 hours.  Dull grey sort of day and few people out.  Saw a swan take off from the river.  Impressive running and flapping before it finally was airbourne.  Had to ford an ankle deep stream too wide to jump so quick break to take off and replace socks and shoes as I didn't fancy soaking shoes for the last 5 miles.  Very refreshing it was.  Good run, physically tired at the end but my mind would have been willing to do more.

Off to eat a chocolate duck now..
  • Hazel you carry spare socks and shoes on your runs or did you go home and restart? I speak as someone  who has carried on a run more than once with gashed and bleeding hands due to tripping and trying to break my fall. I just hate. I mean really hate to stop on a run. I will stop for traffic, small children, the elderly and to go to the toilet. I won't though actually find a toilet ( I leave the rest to you imagination)

Still....this evening after work 10 miles mostly flat at 8:45 min/mi pace. Makes 35 miles for the week and day 4 of my current 7 day streak. Its a thing I am doing trying to see the effects of running 7 days in a row and  then taking a day off. It does mean I have to cycle to work a couple of days less than before, but I hope as I get stronger that will change. It has to as I like to do a bit of track cycling in the spring/summer. I will hold 35 miles for another week then up it by the usual 10% if I can.

As summer comes there has to be some proper stamina stuff then the track work will come and some strength training in the park.

I expect to break....
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Will, I'm rarely even off colour and would like to think the daily run supports this.  

Time to rest those busy legs, Hazel.  That goes for you too, Cal.  ;)

Swift progress in adverse conditions, JT.

Last night, darkrun stretched to 11 miles on a moonless, breeze-free night.  Slight alarm when sand at sea wall got a little *too* soft.  Switching to the prom, I heard voices [am still taking the tablets ;) ] but no people until two speaking an eastern European passed by walking down the beach.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Glad you weren't eaten by the beach swit.
    The weather is bloody awful. 9.6miles in the cold and wet amongst drab suburban streets, trading estates, and briefly a lake. Got wolf whistled but assume it was ironic.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    There's precedent, JT.   :o   Did you have snow too?  One reason I darkrun is to avoid the more outré outpourings of the urban philiosopher!