My Last Run

Comments

• Swift stuff JT.  

Shame about the parks on your trip Cal.  I might join you in Vienna next year.  I did consider it for this year but due to the travel costs wanted to stay closer to home for my spring mara as I have Berlin in the autumn as well.

Good luck for your 15 miles today Will.  You are building the mileage nicely.

5 x 600 intervals with 2 mins recoveries for me yesterday following 11 hillyish miles on Tuesday evening.  Not the best combination.  I didn't pick the best of routes for doing the intervals as I was either running up or down a gradual slope with wind resistance and assistance.  Did it therefore by feel rather than pace.  A got-it-done session.  Rest day today - would be a lovely day for running as cold and sunny but I will go for a walk later instead.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to do Berlin at some point too, Hazel... I didn't get lucky this year but there seems to be more chance of getting in than London at least.

I wasn't going to run today either, but when I popped out to the launderette it was so lovely I rushed home and got my running gear on. Of course, the second I got outside the sun hid behind a cloud and then it got greyer and darker but hey, it was my first T-shirt run of the year.
  • As I up my mileage limits for a prospective marathon year in 2019 I have Loch Ness + Edinburgh at the top of my list.

With that in mind, I hit the still sticky trails and went one better than the planned 15 - hitting 16 miles in 2hrs 51mins. Not fast by any stretch, but my longest run yet - so rather satisfying. Tough going in parts but my old mate Percy Verance saw me through.

Natural highlights: Brimstone butterflies, Buzzard, Kestrel + v close male Sparrowhawk,  Yellowhammer, Rabbits and pristine Primroses.

A thorough mental cleansing, too.

Happy running, MLRERS!  :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good running Will - noticeably pushing your distances and mileage.
    Another perky run, just under 10.1miles in 1hr12. Wearing minimal split toe "ninja" running shoes. Cold hard wind again, never quite blowing in the direction I expected. Snow expected next week. This winter is a bit clingy. A little school kid shouted "go on son" as I ran past. Hmm, thanks dad?
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say hi to MLRers
    I'm finding this bit of marathon training exhausting, particularly alongside work being super busy and homelife.
    Anyway, still plugging away here with the usual Tuesday early session (which was crap), Wednesday evening mid long run (fine, 9 ish miles), and this morning saw my second 20.  Was feeling so tired before I even set out after a 14 hour day at work yesterday but I dug deep and did it. The weather here is much nicer, which helped, although I was very thirsty for the last few miles.  Am now eating. And eating.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hi Nessie!
    JT - Vibrams? I have some for bumming around (used to wear them to the gym but I don't go to the gym now) but I didn't like running in them. I have very tight calves and a history of calf and achilles problems so I stick with the Frees most times.
    Got the Zoom Flys out today, though, as I wanted to hit up a new parkrun (Victoria Dock, in its second week).
    It's a nice, fast flat U-shaped course that goes past the Excel, and it's quite a small field (97 runners today) so I thought I might do a decent time. Note that I've only run under 26 minutes twice, back at the end of 2016, once at Tooting Common parkrun and once on a track. Both times I ran 25:52. I wasn't really expecting to do that today, but thought it would be good to go under 27 at least. Well, I only went and knocked half a minute off my PB! Official time was 25:21! 7th lady too - my best ever, even if it was purely down to the size of the field. Alas I didn't win my age category as the lady 7 seconds in front of me turned out to be my age too.
    But holy crap, that really wasn't what I was expecting.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting the 20 done Ness. That's a great swift run Cal. Congratulations.
    No not vibrams but related. It's shoes by a US company Topo, founded by the former CEO of Vibram. They're Japanese Tabi style split-toe affairs. They're pretty much prototypes in look and feel. Topo soon ditched the separate toe design. I went through a phase of buying shoes from start up companies when samples popped up in the UK market.
    Never had Vibrams. I do have Vivobarefoots, and even more extreme Evoskins which are effectively latex foot gloves (another product which didn't take off). I can run in most anything but am happier with uncushioned minimal shoes.
    A long post considering I didn't run today...
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Sweet 16, Will - well done - and great double-figure efforts from Nessie [those 20s seal the Mara deal, I found].  

Impressive sub-26, Cal!  JT, there's a thread on fetcheveryone.com about minimalist footwear.

Day 814 as & when I venture out tonight.....
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow swittle, you'll hit 1000 before the year's out.

A strange run today. My legs felt tired and yet I had to keep checking my pace as I kept running 15-30 seconds faster per mile than I should have. Covered 18 miles but as I didn't want to do hills today (trying not to anger the hamstring any more than I need to) I ended up doing laps and laps of Clapham Common. It was a bit monotonous so I gunned the last mile just to get it over with. 3 hours 7:28, average 10:25.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    6 miles easy at target MP today
  • 10 miles done in my "look at my arse" Nike Dri Fit tights at a pace somewhere between steady and get a move on. As I finished I was thinking that if I turned around and did it all again it would be 20 miles. I never run 20 miles and as I have mentioned before I would probably cause a commotion if I did. So again to all of you out there running for the Marathon and doing 20 mile runs, respect, and for you young Nessie a special thumbs up for being able to do it while working 14 hour days. Thats mental. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    16.2miles in my "look at my arms" t-shirt. First outing they've had this year. The sun was out so felt obliged to run and had a proper long route in mind, but didn't want to go. Anyway, pushed myself out the door to wing something. 2hrs06 but tired at the start and finish. Lots of families out on bikes. Saw a dead squirrel. Was overtaken by a rotund young man who then blew up. Must rest.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    T-shirt run for me today too, JT! It should have been a rest day but it is glorious out and the next three days are supposed to be grey and rainy. I just couldn't pass that up.
    Usual niggles aside, my legs felt surprisingly good although there was some soreness in my left calf. I ended up running a fair bit quicker than my usual recovery runs. 6 miles, no regrets.
  • A bit behind as I was away over the weekend.

Excellent work by Will on the long run.  Good sensible approach to marathoning next year.

Enjoy all that eating Nessie.  20 miles after a 14 hour day - wow.

Great PB Cal and a nice 18 miler too.  Enjoy the taper.

:) to the tights Stephen and the T-shirt JT.  Do we get pictures?

Day 816 already now I guess swittle :)

For me a mixed bag over the last few days.  A good 11 miler on Friday during which I had to keep slowing myself down (probably thanks to the new shoes straight out of the box...), and a 4 mile recovery on Saturday taking in the Swiss and German banks of the river Rhine including 6 x 100m strides.  Enjoyed both of those - nice spring weather and spotted the first shoots of wild garlic.  Yesterday's 18 miler with 14 @ marathon pace went badly in contrast.  The legs were willing but the mind and especially the lungs weren't.  Combination of not enough to eat, not enough sleep and the stress of the last days (not running related) probably.  Took a couple of short walking breaks to try to settle myself down but gave up.  Not good as I have only managed one decent marathon pace run during my training so far and time is getting short enough that I shouldn't put in another.  Probably should start thinking about revising goals. :/
  • Lots of good running going on so 'Bravo' to all MLRERS!

A busy weekend for me, which involved no running. Body told me it wanted a break and so it got one. I marshalled at Junior Parkrun - always a pleasure.

The rest did me good as I really enjoyed 6 miles last night at a half decent pace (57 mins). Form felt good and I got in the zone quite nicely. Not much seen except a strange bloke rapping along to his headphones, gesticulating like some second hand resurrection of Eminem, whilst riding his bike through a red light no handed. Norfolk is roight good.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    "Avert your eyes" fits best for me!  Winging 16.2 miles seems to be a contradiction of terms, JT.  And Speedy Cal!

818 days today, Hazel - quite warm but still podging through the morass by the Marina.  No passport required for your riverbank run?  Evaluate and recalibrate.  11+4+18 sounds like it might drain the tank.

Will's got the right idea: structured rest with fun thrown in.  A decent sixer there, sir.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I don't think I've done anything 818 days in a row. Well, maybe in my teenage years...
    Yesterday I ate and slept. I refilled my glycogen with sausages and flapjack and woke up 3lbs heavier than the morning before. Gym session today finished with a swift treadmill 5k in 20mins50.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    JT....your description of how you were "overtaken by a rotund young man who then blew up"  makes all that I could say about my evening run sound even more of a mediocre event than it was. Exploding millennials? I wish. I ran 4.5 miles to finish a 7 day streak. Day of rest tomorrow.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Good sequence, Stephen.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JT... :lol:

Some good running going on here. Just a rainy 4 miles, easy pace, today. Had to avoid the dirt paths on the common because they had turned into streams. No thank you.
  • I felt slightly anxious about my planned 17 miler today. A mix of the distances now sounding bloody long and a slight lazy edge to my current state of mind. 

Anyway, I got on with it. Lots of rain here so I decided against my nice LSR trail. It was muddy enough there last week, so I plumped for a flattish headless chicken style route, paved underfoot. I found a good bit of pre-match foam rolling and stretching got me off to a good start. A pleasant drizzle turned into a cold persistent rain for the bulk of the miles, which wasn't amazing. However, fuelling with a couple of gels and my lovely energy balls saw me through at a pleasingly steady pace. Tricky bits were 8, 11 and 16 miles but I finished strongly. 17.2 miles in 2hrs 57mins. I'm knackered now!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Do the hard miles and they start getting easier.  Cracking work, Will!  :)
  • How To Pick 2018 World Cup Soccer Cleats

Best new 2018 World Cup Soccer Cleats to buy!Shop wholesale Adidas Football Boots at kukusoccer.com is proud to have a great selection of 2018 World Cup football boots.

pls do click our links :kukusoccer.com
    thank you for your time, enjoy shopping!
  • Nope, no passport required for the 2 countries run swittle as both Germany and Switzerland are in Schengen so no checks.  Coming from the UK and used to passport controls to get in and out of the country I still think it amusing to be able to hop (not literally) across a footbridge from one country to another.  

I don't think it was the mileage last week, I'm pretty used to 50-55 mile weeks now. I just wasn't in the right mindset to do that run - it is seen by many as one of if not the toughest in the whole plan.  Just one more heavy week and I'll be tapering (gulp...).

Interesting combination with the sausages and flapjacks JT - keep up the good work (running and providing entertaining posts....)

Excellent long run Will.  

Taper going well Cal?

Nice streak stephen.  Enjoy the rest of your rest day.

For me a gentle 6 miler yesterday evening with my group - the first time without turning the headtorch on in months.  OH came out with us as well which was nice.
    And over lunch time today a four miler at around recovery pace spiced up at the end with 6 x 100m strides.  My cap (it was raining) flew off during the first one I was going so fast.. No actually it was a bit breezy.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Will! Long runs can be pretty miserable in the rain (I'm still thinking about that sleety 16 miler I did in January...ugh) but you feel great afterwards.
    Hazel, yeah, P&D sounds tough. I have the book but I don't think I'm what you'd call an advanced marathoner just yet. My longest weeks this cycle have been 1 x 42 and 2 x 41.
    As for the taper, I'll let you know when I'm a bit further along. I only started tapering this week (2 weeks rather than 3 due to that trip to Europe cutting in to what should have been my final tough week). I've run back to back half marathons (consecutive weekends) three times so I'm not too worried about recovery... and I've had good half marathons the week after a long run.
    I have some niggles but I think I'll be OK. I just have to avoid succumbing to maranoia. :cold_sweat:
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Everyone will be fine for marathon season. Good work Will. To paraphrase swit you get used to doing long runs by doing long runs.
    Speaking of which bit under 20.2miles in bit over 2hrs38. This was sort of a holdover from last week. Started out slow and never got much quicker. The weather was odd. It's cold and clear but every so often a pocket of freezing rain and wind passed through and the temperature dropped like a stone. Happened three times and wasn't fun. Painful at the base of my toes on my right foot. Noticed this a few times recently. Probably just a thing. Need to get back offroad to soften the foot pounding. Hard work today but good to breach the 20mile barrier.
    Saw a massive greyhound and at a rail crossing four cars ran the warning lights, the last two actually rounding the falling single lane barriers. F***ing idiots.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in again, and seeing that JT is yet again doing mind boggling distances for no reason than- he can  :o 
    Will, are you too doing big miles for "fun"?
    Cal, keep a lid on the maranoia, and try to enjoy the taper. Won't do any harm to reel it down a bit.
    Hazel, keep focussed, you're doing great and we all have bad runs. The P&D programme is very hardcore from what I know of friends who follow it, and you've put in some ace training over the months.
    Stephen making like swittle and streaking..although not quite 818 days
    Me- this week saw a horrid speed session on Tuesday at 6.15. It was really raining hard and I did not enjoy my 5 x 1k at all, and could never get any speed in my legs.
    Yesterday was 9.5miles at MP which I was dreading too but once I got started, I enjoyed it a lot.
    I'm feeling very tired now but this is the last week of big miles before the taper, so i just need to hang in.  Also we break up today and I'm off to Mersea island for the long weekend with my husband and my youngest (aged 9), for some very very well deserved rest.  I shall swim and do a bit of running but will mainly eat hot cross buns, read, try to relax.  The final 20 mile run I've moved to Tuesday when I'm back from Essex. In previous years I've done laps of the island for my long runs, and it is beautiful and wild in places, but the old man has offered to accompany me on his bike next Tuesday and I'll appreciate his company at this stage in my training. Have  great Easter MLRers

• snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Been a good week, did 7 miles easy and then 45 mins of sprints last night. 20 miles tomorrow, nice and easy pace, before a recovery 7 on Monday. Aim is to do 20 again at marathon pace next week with 2 weeks of tapering to do before VLM number 3

Booked a holiday for the Tuesday after so that's motivating me through these last couple of weeks. Oh, and that sub 4!
  • 5.5 miles done @ 7.39 min/mi pace. Unnecessarily rapid. Up, but not down the muddle path and then along the Hollow Way, in and out the early shoppers. No popping weasels as they are only found on the  City road and it's not the same rhyme now they have gone and closed the Eagle pub. Oh Londium....

Saw a lady running in a huge wooly hat and that dogs back, the shaggy one that sits looking out the yellow framed window. Had a cooked breakfast for the second day in a row. The poached eggs are coming on. Don't stir the water and do use white wine vinegar. Got to go to work now. 

Did I mention I went for a run?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your trip, Nessie!
    Going somewhere ice, snewman?

Well, the taper has kicked in. Aimed to do 6 today. Did 4. Legs felt like concrete and my hamstring was growling at me. I'm getting grumpy too. Good job I live alone.