P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you got a bargain there NE. Good news on the swimming front as well!

Nice session Spoons. 2x3@MP does sound a bit rich for the final week.

Looks like the concensus is you should do the marathons FBT, as long as you are not ill or injured.

Nice MLR AWC.

Strong intervals there John.

That's a great mid-week workout SQ.

Hope things improve Westy. Having your bike nicked really sucks.

Good luck with your big week Hazel.

Nice treadmill session Jooligan.

Aaagh not the knee again Scott. Hopefully just a temporary setback.

8 miles with strides for me after work. Legs a bit lifeless after 19 miles yesterday. Hopefully they'll recover for Salford 10K on Friday.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Tom I do feel good on race day when I have had (what I consider to be) a healthy week. I tend to drink decaf most of the time anyway (except when I smash the caffeine in on race day) and lay off the alcohol in the week before. That said, I don’t think the odd glass of wine or beer makes much difference, especially if it relaxes you. Although I certainly agree with AWC that sleep is affected by alcohol.

Westy that is rubbish – sorry to hear that. Get Joe on the case – didn’t he nearly deck someone last year for stealing a bike.

8M the day after 19M is impressive, Ramjet. Good luck for the 10k.

Scott I did try rolling the quads in the gym yesterday – horrific! Although noticeably looser today…

Macca and John, I really enjoyed Paris in 2014, although did find coming out of the road underpasses in the second half hard – deceptively hilly. And watch out for the fast downhill start if you want to be strict on pacing. Agreed there are plenty of randoms on the course. Enjoy.

9M at 7:45m/m all pretty easy for me this morning. Very disturbed night’s sleep. Absolutely hanging on for the end of term!

• Oh dear westy ..... sorry to hear all that - have one on me!

Thanks Macca - even if it was cheating, you wont get your sponsorship taken away and banned for a year!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That explains it Macca cheers. Mine's actually a bit higher as my TM sessions haven't been included for Feb & March. I passed 1,000M for the year on Tuesday morning B)
    Glad to hear it's not just me racking up silly miles & yet still planning to race tomorrow Ramjet. Good luck in the 10K.
    Hope the rest does the job Scott - you've been getting some cracking training in recently.
    Just a steady 5M this morning along the canal after 25 minutes foam-rolling & glute activating in the gym.
  • Great attitude FBT

AWC - I’ve done a sort of hybrid of the Pfitzinger, NAZ and BAC plans really. The NAZ plan is very similar to Pfitzinger in both structure and philosophy, the main differences are the monster midweek sessions and more quality as part of the long runs. That’s what attracted me to it, as Pfitzinger has served me well, but I wanted a little variation and variety. Solid MLR after those intervals.

John I think I’m going to stick to the usual 2@MP, 2x3 feels like too much so close. Nice intervals, as SQ said the recoveries are a major part of the session really. I highly recommend that podcast, lots of great advice.

Well done getting that session done SQ, it’s a killer! 

Good luck for the race tomorrow Jools.

Tom I know what you mean, I do worry about the risk of injury. However the idea is that by keeping some quality in during the taper you ensure you don’t lose muscle tension which can leave you feeling flat on race day if you back off entirely. Obviously it’s an individual thing but I feel it works for me. I’ll only be doing strides from now on though, nothing crazy during race week.

Re alcohol, I’ve only been having the odd drink with a meal since the new year anyway. My main reason for abstaining is sleep - drinking really screws with my sleep these days.

Sorry to hear you’re having a crap time Westy

Busy long weekend by the sounds of it Hazel, good luck.

Well done on the CRs Macca. Can’t believe I’m 4th place in the Fetch chart lol, although it appears to be missing a few runs as I’m at 1,223 according to Strava.

Hope the knee behaves Scott.

Only a five mile recovery for me today, will do that later so got to enjoy a lie in which was very nice. I signed up for the Bourton One Mile Challenge last night, a nice little one mile race in picturesque Bourton-on-the-Water. So I think over the summer I’m going to concentrate on speed and see if I can run a sub-5 mile. Calculators suggest I'm not far off given recent race times, although it sounds frighteningly fast given my preference for longer distances. Still, will make a nice change to switch things up before I return to miles, miles, miles for Frankfurt.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Top running going on as usual!!
    Hazel - Should also add that 14 @ MP is a tough session to do solo! I did that as part of a HM last year as easier to run race pace during a race imo! Maybe try that next time?
    AWC - nice reps!
    SQ - Ultra is 20th May, so still a good couple of months off at the moment.

11 miles for me today, 8:34 average for 132 bpm HR, which is where I was at my aerobic peak before my 100k, so feeling positive.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    It'll be the TM sessions Spoons. I'm on 1,025 on Strava.
    That's great HR:pace balance with 2 months training left Steve.
    Just got the email for VLM registration - had been wondering where it was.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Westy - sorry to hear about that, hope your bike somehow turns up. 

Ramjet - well done on getting that in after a big day. Are you going to race Salford?

SQ - nice big session, 71 mins of intensity sounds brutal so great effort. 

Steve - promising run at low HR, sounds like one of those where you feel you can keep ygoing all day. 

Scott - rest up and look after your knee. 

Jools - yes I got my email as well. Notice they have introduced wave starts, hope it means proper grouping of abilities and less congestion. However there are 3 water stations using paper cups instead of bottles, need to memorise those and avoid them!

14m & 6m double, legs were toast for the second run. One more MLR to go....
  • I got my email too. I missed that about the water stations John. I bet that's a trial ahead of a full switch to cups. Given the current backlash against plastics, I think it's inevitable most races will switch to cups. Great for the environment, not so great for hydration :D 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: got my VLM email as well this morning. I'm on the Red Start
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Got my email, kind of glad I don't have to go into London to collect a number.

Not much from HA lately, I assume he's somewhere tampering with his balls.

Do we get the Ashes back?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Green start again. Anyone else there?
  • Red fast good for age for me.  Email was hiding in my spam folder.
  • Sorry about your knee Scott.  I hope the rest helps it heal quickly.  

Good luck for Salford ramjet.

Uff - more than 1000 miles already Jools and spoons.  I might be at around 1000 km.  Good luck with the race Jools.

The cricket even made it into the news here in Switzerland.  

I did my postponed intervalls this afternoon after it had finally stopped raining and for once there was almost no wind. Warm-up 3 miles, intervalls 4 x 1200m (5:16, 5:10, 5:18 and 5:17) with 3:30 mins recoveries, 2.5 miles cool down.  10 miles in total.  Hard work but pleased with the results.  

Have a good Easter everyone.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Hooray for end of term SQ!

Thanks Jooligan. I am hoping one easy day before the race will do the trick. Good luck tomorrow.

Nice low HR Steve.

John - yes I am racing it but with a good list of excuses ready if it doesn't go well! Nice double.

Nice intervals Hazel.

Blue start for me. And finally got round to booking the hotel. I decided to be different and approach Blackheath from the other direction. So scenic Gravesend it is then.

Just an easy 6 today. Legs felt quite nice.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Good luck to everyone racing today.

Interesting mix of thouths re alcohol and caffiene-thanks. I like Macca's 'nothing new' theory so had a beer to celebrate the end of term last night (slept very well) and I'm sitting here with a large cup of coffee in hand!

Have a Good Friday!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Hooray for the end of term SQ!

That is shit Westy! Hope you get it back somehow.

Tasty double John.

Hope the knee improves Scott.

Good luck Jools, Reg, Ramjet and anyone else racing today/this weekend.

Very nice progressive intervals Hazel.

Speaking of which I threw caution to the wind and did some intervals myself this morning as I felt the legs needed freshening up. Great weather for it! 9 miles with 4x 1 mile. Mile splits: 5:45, 5:39, 5:37, 5:33. I was a bit tentative at first but things progressed very nicely as legs loosened up and that last mile is probably the quickest I have ever run in training.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice intervals Tom/Hazel.

Woke up feeling a bit under the weather with a tickly throat etc but not bad enough to not race.

Not done a 10 mile race since 2000 so I was fairly confident I would beat my 1:03 PB. Planned on starting at 6:00 and picking it up second half. Went through 5 miles in just under 30 minutes feeling ok but not firing on all cylinders.

Picked it up in the second half, about 29:20 and finished fairly strongly in 59:20ish.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Reg. Very decent time particularly as you weren't 100%.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello, managed 36:03 at Salford 10k this morning, which is probably a fair result.
    Well done Reg.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Fantastic intervals Tom!

Well done Reg! Always nice to get under the hour for the first time. Apparently our PM was marshalling!

Nicely done Westy.

I also did the Salford 10K. Conditions were perfect and the legs felt good so I had hopes of a PB. I started off at a hard but sustainable effort and was happy to see an average pace of 6:00 on the watch. I basically kept that pace up for 5 miles. 5K was reached in 18:45. My PB was 38:03 so I was on schedule for a 30s PB.

I suffered a bit in the last mile and a few people came past but I managed to hold things together and finish in 37:43 for a 20s PB.

Very happy with that in the middle of a big week. I’d like to think that if I targeted a 10K and tapered properly I could get another chunk off my PB so maybe that will be the autumn plan.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice reps Tom & Hazel.
    Great racing from Reg, Westy & Ramjet. What's your 10K PB Westy?
    My 10M road race today was a bit disappointing with fatigue getting the better of me. Horrible cold wet day & I was running in ASICS Piranhas too & with about a mile and a half to go I was regretting the lack of cushioning. Calves were screaming at me after I crossed the finish. Managed 1:04:42 for a 7s PB but was looking to take 90s off really.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Excellent performances Westy, Rammers and Jools-congrats on the PBs guys-great stuff!
  • Great racing by ramjet, reg and westy. 

Well done on your PBs ramjet and reg.

Must be nice to have put in a such a good result reg as the last few months haven't been kind to you.

Good result after your crappy last few days westy. 

Great intervalls Tom.  Something gentle planned for your next outing?

11 mile MLR for me today, went out earlier than originally planned as the bad weather was rapidly approaching from France.  OH joined me for the first 4 miles before turning for home after which I picked up the pace a bit but never more than MP + 10%.  Legs were tired from the intervalls but willing nonetheless. 

Rest day tomorrow and then the last 20+ pre race on Sunday. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Jooligan, PB is 35.21, was a bit closer to 35 but that was at Trafford 10k which was found to be short so was nulled.
  • Sorry missed your PB jools, typed too slowly.. congratulations to you too!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Great racing, Reg. Very impressive off not 100% and relatively limited build up. 

Fantastic, Westy. Puts you well below a 2:55, I’d say. Also very strong, Ramjet, especially without taper. Maybe a targestish 10k in the summer?

A PB is a PB, Jooligan, especially in filthy weather. I’d take that on your massive mileage. Bodes well for the end of April I’d say. 

5M recovery at 8:45s for me to start the holidays. Thought I’d ease myself into the break by moving house. To be fair, we got the pros in. They’ve got  a physical job - reckon I’d quite enjoy it. Let them move everything. Except running kit of course. That came with me in the car. Safety first. 

Rain permitting, it’ll be a buggy parkrun tomorrow. Then a monster run on Sunday. Any suggestions for spicing up a 22-24M at this stage? I’m willing to go random. Just not in my smugglers, Joe, that’s all. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning. All wrapped up in myself, I missed your PB Jools. Well done - even though race didn't go too well for you.
    Going for a run with my daughter later. Going to try and fit in a long run tomorrow.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB Jools. 

Good to to see you back racing Reg. nice second half fast finish!

good Pb on tired legs Rammers. 

Westy - great 10km as well!

final 22mi Long Run today. Went well - 8:05/mi average finishing with a 7:10/mi

let the taper begin.