What is your 5k and 10k pb?

Hi everyone,

Just interested to know what everyone's 5k and 10k pb is. I know there is going to be some very quick people on here! I have never done a proper event but timing myself I have done a 10k in under 49 minutes and a 5k in under 22 minutes. Going to do an event soon to hopefully get a good time and beat those!

Andrew

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Hello!

My 5k PB is 19.35 and my official 10k pb is 46.29 although I have ran 42.10 in training. I haven't ran either in a race since I vastly increased my training for London Marathon so hopeful to knock a good chunk off both of them!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    10k - 43.40 
    5k - 21.26 (the middle section of the 10k PB race)

Not raced either distance in a while.
  • Very impressed with both of those times. Would love to go sub 20 minutes for 5k!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Andrew that was my aim for last year. 400m intervals seemed to improve my speed drastically!

• I might have to give that a try. There isn't a track near me though which I can do 400m intervals! I am doing a 10k in 2 weeks so hoping to get a good time.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I might have to give that a try. There isn't a track near me though which I can do 400m intervals! I am doing a 10k in 2 weeks so hoping to get a good time.
    You don't need a track to run 400s.  Find a pavement or park loop which is roughly the right distance and flat.  
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    5k - 19.20
    10k - 41.21, but I did run 40.39 in the second half of a half marathon last year. 

Training never yet got to speed work - this was off an extended base with long tempos. After marathon training I plan to train more specifically.

Best way to train is with mileage as high as you have time for without getting injured and run easy most of the time. Just get out there and put in consistent training. Good luck 
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Parkrun PB is 17:45 in Nov'16 (some don't like to consider it a proper 5km), 5km race PB is 18:19 in Jun'16
    10km PB is 38:59 in Oct'17, 10000m PB is 38:29 in Jun'16

When it comes to PBs within training/races, I did a 17:32 5km during a 5mi race (28:19) in Dec'16, and 36:56 10km during a progression run session in Nov'16.

Clear to see I was in great form end of 2016, at which point over Christmas I was flattened by a flu virus, and have struggled to get consistency and quality training in since due to occasional illness and injury, as well as finishing university. 

I'm hoping to get to a good place to challenge these PBs later this year - so this serves as a good opportunity to reflect and give myself a kick up the backside! Fingers crossed the year goes well.

+1 for Sol's tip on training - easy running for the majority, slowly building mileage, with two quality sessions each week.
    I was never a sporty person before I took up running, and took me a fair while to get sub-20 and sub-40. If you can stay consistent (that's the key with training), then you'll smash your times.
    Best of luck!
  • The fastest I ever did a parkrun 5k  was in 18:16 in 2013 aged 44. Then I didn't run another one or any other race/run whatever for 5 years. Just ran and cycled a bit. Then in March  this year I though I would give it a go again.  I did 5k in 20 minutes. I had to slow down though because my left hamstring was acting the fool or it would have been a sub-20.
    What I learnt from this is;
    1. Don't be scared to race after a long time you may surprise yourself
    2. Look after your hamstrings. Nordic Curls work
    3. Train like your training to race even when your not.
    4. See number 1.