Comrades 2018

Comments

• Well done jk & Becca on your recent runs. I survived the EnduranceLife Ultra so am officially an ultrarunner now! It was very tough, having only done 2 marathon races and one marathon training run in my life (all flat and on roads) this was a whole new experience. It was freezing and the wind incredible up on the cliffs. Not so bad while inland, but the HILLS! I've realised afterwards that the ascent in 34 miles was more than the 56 miles of Comrades, so having survived this I'm more confident I can make it to Durban :) . I ran the first climb (rookie error) then walked every other climb for the whole race. Was very pleased with my pacing as I was passing people regularly through the whole race. Averaged 10:27/mile and somehow finished 15th and 1st V50! Just sneaked in under 6 hours in 5:57. It was a baptism of fire, but I really enjoyed it, and struggling on mile after mile when near exhaustion can only be good prep for Comrades.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Looks like an epic account Debra - I will absorb it later :)

Max, brilliant performance - that pace is a Comrades qualification alone over that distance, remarkable over that terrain! You are definitely in Comrades form.

I have been floored by yet another man flu bug, can't believe how unlucky I am this year, each time I get close to scraping that sub5 something else kicks me feet out from underneath me. Did manage to get in a 2:20 half on Saturday before it struck though. So frustrating not being able to capitalize on that for now as I pathetically wheeze and cough my lungs up all over the place. And did I mention the pain, the pain! My brain is scarping against the inside of my skull and screaming at me to stop every movement I take :( truly man flu!

• > @Debra Bourne said:
    > So, it's taken me 10 days to finish and post this: warning, it's quite long - but then so was the event!
    >
    > Viking 100: https://runningape.wordpress.com/

Great read Debra! Fantastic achievement.
  • Max, that's great running at CTS - congrats. Glad you enjoyed my Viking 100 tale.

lowrez, sympathies! Hope you're better soon.

• Thanks lowrez, sorry to hear about your bouts of illness, so frustrating. I'm not a health food fanatic, or into supplements, but the one thing I do is take Vit C tablets daily. I must admit since I've been doing it (3 or 4 years) I've had way less colds/flu than I used to.
    Thanks Debra. I'll see how Comrades goes then I might try a long ultra like the Grand Union race (it passes a mile or so from my house)
  • Sorry to hear you have another strain of man-flu Lowrez!  It wouldn't be like you if things weren't kept exciting though, hope you get your strength up in time for Manchester in a few weeks.  
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    So, it's taken me 10 days to finish and post this: warning, it's quite long - but then so was the event!

Viking 100: https://runningape.wordpress.com/

Great read, thanks for taking the time to type it up. I've ambitions myself of doing a 100k at some stage but a 100m event scares me I must admit!
  • JK - well done

Becca - good lot of running in Paris. Sounds like the weather was a bit better than here.

I'd like spring now. 3 1/2hours on Monday. Biting sub zero wind. Still some ice about and the gloves never came off!

Debra - great read. It seriously takes some mental strength apart from anything else to do that. Hope you've given yourself some rest time after.

Lower - get well soon  :) You're testing us again. Are you going for qualifier at Manchester or London?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I think someone has recovered from the man flu. Shook it off with a 5 miler a week ago, managed 18.5 on Saturday and got 10 in yesterday morning for the annual charity event at work. Will definitely make the Manchester start now.

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, good to hear you are well again.  have a good run in Manchester.  Is that what you're planning to wear - special race outfit?   :D:)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thanks Terry :) If its a cold day, it can get quite warm under that mask... I wonder if I should risk it... its still going to be a challenge to sub-5 it so maybe I should just turn up non-descript and sober and grind out the qualifier. Mind you, the attention you get when dressed up is a very good taker-awayer-of-the-pain so...

• lowrez: save us all the suspense, please: get the qualification under your belt at Manchester without the costume!
  • Lowrez - you must have caused quite a stir running in that! But I agree with Debra. Get the qualification in normal clothes and run home in that costume if you want  :)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    it would make it easier to spot you on the start line!!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well my friend Buzz said he would lend me his rollerblades if it would help? Can you see the trekkies over my shoulder (the orange bridge sentinel safety officer wasn't an actual scifi character though).

I found the discipline of holding a gun for 10 miles a very positive posture enhancer, even though it was just an inflatable weigh nothing prop, my core is still sore a couple of days later but in a good way. I've probably got into a bad slouching habit these past few years.

The showoff within me is extremely tempted to run in character! Maybe minus the gun?

Debra - read your blog last night - what an epic run - you have had an amazing year :) Well done :)

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Hi all again - hope training's going well. Been a while since I posted in here - just after some advice - I'm considering doing a LDWA event as I can't find any other ultra distance I can do...has anyone done one before? I'll be going it alone, worried about getting lost and if I need trail shoes? It's the Pewsey Downsaround...thanks :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Hi Carmen. Pewsey Downsaround is a good one. With LDWA you get written route descriptions and I found there’s easy to follow. There were a few hills as well so it was a good training race. 
  • Good old Lucky Legs Lowrez!!!   Buzz looks a little scruffy did he have an accident on the way round? 

Go go for it at Manchester Sir, keep this ensemble aside for Comrades ?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I did the Born to Run 40 mile race today. I had a good run and got all the way up the big hill without walking. A 40 mile PB to boot. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow Becca! That's an amazing feat achieving a pb over that hill! Love your fancy dress too - you look just like Bruce! Well done. 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    My previous PB was in the same race and I was only a few seconds faster but PBs are rare these days, so I will take it. 

What fancy dress?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

JAR, that picture was about the only time Buzz was anywhere near vertical! We had to take him to the toy hospital to recover. He did 16 miles in that get up! Looking at the prediction Manchester is currently going to be colder than the day we did this, I am going to need some "clothes" to stay warm :) if it stays on forecast.

Good luck at the RAF 100 Debra :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Becca is Bruce Springsteen:
  • Becca, well done!

I managed to run Heaton parkrun in 24:04 today - thought I was under 24 as I was ahead of the 24-mins pacer. Oh well. Nowhere near a PB, but good to run relatively fast for a change from all my long runs.

lowrez, thanks; I will let you know how it goes. Manchester temperatures are looking rather low, aren't they? We had 4 C for the inaugural GMM - but that was temperature before factoring in the wind chill (gale-force winds), rain and hail... here's sincerely hoping you don't get that.

• Becca - Well done. Fantastic running

Carmen - are you the Carmen with the broken/injured leg at Comrades last year?

Debra - RAF 100?? you're not doing another 100 miler are you?

I've got Exmoor trail marathon next Saturday. Been keeping an eye on the weather. Unfortunately, whatever it does on the day won't change the fact that its rained so much recently that I shall slip and slide my way round. I thought about trail shoes but don't have any and its too late now.
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Becca! Did you wear road or trail shoes??
    SSnail - no you're thinking of Cam! I've had a couple of years off Comrades but am returning for my 6th this year - though slower, and older, than ever!!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Trail shoes for Pewsey but I don’t recall it being that bad underfoot. 
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Thanks B!! Have a good weekend 
  • Snail: no, it was the RAF Centenary Challenge - I stopped after 6 laps/50K as my piriformis was playing up and it was starting to affect my gait. Thankfully the rain held off. No race for me next weekend - I'm marshalling at the Croydon half-marathon on Sunday - still places available if anyone is interested.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I hope that that piriformis behaves itself before long Debra.  Having been plagued by that for two months you have my sympathies.   Sheffield half marathon for me next weekend.