Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OTB, just a quick one that the 9:10 may be a bit tight if your GPS is out on the day.  That's what happened to me in Barca, where the GPS clicked over to 26.2 but the finish was still 1/4 of a mile up the road, and I missed the time I thought I was going to get by under 1 minute.  Also, as Brighton is a big event, you may do slightly more than 26.2 so you don't want to be too tight from that point of view either.  Don't worry too much about if a run feels bad in the taper period - the training is there.

Regarding a podium, that is not something that I've ever thought about!  But I suppose you never know ;)  I did finish 4th once, but I was only doing one race, whereas virtually everyone else was doing 7-in-7!!  I have two more 6hr events lined up for later this year, so I'll see how I get on at those.

Steve/Shades, the travelling does take it out of me, even with an overnight stay.  Many don't do the overnight stay and travel 2-3hrs in both directions on race day, but I think I'd really struggle with that.  Yesterday it took 3.5hrs to get back from Reading, but that's partly because I had to stop twice to stretch the legs out and walk around a bit as they were getting sore in the driving position.  

When doing a few more events, I think it's about listening to your body as well, especially if you know you have some other events lined up that you want to do.  I know earlier this year I did a 4:02 which felt a bit of a slog after illness but I just set out at what felt a steady pace, although then about a month later I did that 3:20 PB.  I suppose that may seem a bit erratic in terms of times, but it just depended on how I was feeling to some extent, because there wouldn't have been much difference in general fitness between those two events.

• Options
    Big G- massive well done especially with bad ribs.
    OTB- enjoy your taper I'll soon be into my own one. In terms of your race pace I totally agree with Big G in regards your GPS giving you a false reading. In all my marathons I have run are closer to 26.4 miles so when I pick my race pace I usually take a couple of seconds off to account for the slightly longer distance.

Shades- no Alloa is about 5 weeks after Stirling marathon. I have never run an event this quickly after previous marathons therefore I am unsure on what training I would need to do for the 5 weeks in between.

5 miles tempo on the treadmill today not a great fan of running on the treadmill.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-I had a quick look on Strava,and the average seems to be about 26.35 for Brighton so if you want for sub 4 you'd probably have to aim around 9.06 pace to cover for the extra.
    Big G-amazing if you can do a good 10k after this week.
    My achilles actually doesn't feel any worse today than after when I normally run so hopefully no harm done.
    My time was about 5% slower than usual so that's really good as I expected to be quite a bit worse,guess the gap will grow as the distances get longer.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G, I’m seriously impressed with the mileage you’re racking up!
    I’ve not run since Monday as my calf was tight and sore, I thought a rest was better than risk tearing it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - I think you should go out at 8:45 m/m for the first half.   That will give you a good solid base for a sub 4.   Into the 2nd half, relax and run as you feel one mile at a time.  

Big G - the travelling even if staying overnight is tiring.   And your drive back from Reading mid week is a horrible journey, it put me off a bit doing another Dorney Lake event, as I was hitting Bristol at rush hour, it was July too so a fair bit of holiday traffic as well.   Most events being at the weekend the drive home is less tiring, fewer lorries and usually once you get on the M5 a clear road.   Stopping to stretch your legs is fine, I always park a long way from the entrance to the services and then have a fair walk across the car park.   I know with the Dorney event there's nothing else there so folk tend to leave promptly after the race, but at other races I will go for a coffee and a snack and a natter so maybe not leave until an hour after finishing and that helps the legs.   But you had just done your first ultra so no wonder your legs were a bit stiff.

Good luck with the 10k today.

steven - my Garmin usually measures 26.4 for a marathon too, most do over measure slightly.
    You should be fully recovered from your marathon in 5 weeks to do a good half marathon at Alloa.   Don't worry about the training between the 2 races right now, we can deal with that after Stirling.

Ian - good that you appear to have done no further damage.   How is your other achilles now, is that OK?

Jugula - hope that calf is just a niggle.   When is your next race, Southampton Half?

Just looked at the forecast for the weekend, not good.   Looks like it will be worse here than in Wales.   Tomorrow is going to be better but a lot colder than I would like for a race but I've been expecting that.  

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Shades, and I hope the drive goes ok. 

In the night I decided to DNS my 10K. My ribs have swollen a bit, so I'm not sure why they'd do that 5 days after the fall. Maybe a couple of days off will help a bit.... If not, I suppose I may have to go to the GP next week just to get checked over. 

Surprisingly, my legs do feel ok though!
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve had to defer Southampton half as I’ve got work that morning, a bit disappointing but it’s work that I enjoy and I get quite a bit of time off so I can’t really complain, I’m going to look at smaller events that I can enter nearer the time as work is booked in about a month at a time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sensible to DNS the 10k.   Maybe the swelling on your ribs is more a reaction to your run on Wednesday or that type of injury to the ribs just develops like that, I don't know.  I'm sure a few days rest will sort you out.   Good that your legs are OK though.

Jugula - that's a shame about Southampton but at least you could defer. Hope you can find races so close to race day, even club races seem to fill quickly these days.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah maybe it's a reaction to Wednesday and hopefully a couple of days off will do it some good.  I'll be taking the ibuprofen capsules regularly now I'm not doing any running.  I may literally walk around a parkrun tomorrow just to get the numbers up there, but I'll just see how it goes.  I do have another 10K on Monday, but again I'll just see how it goes.  These 10Ks are both Club Champs races, so my chances of completing that are greatly diminished now, but it wasn't a main goal of mine anyway.

Jugula, shame about Southampton!  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I take it the ribs are not any more painful than they were.   Hopefully you should be OK for Monday's 10k.

Just tried to get on here and the forums were down for maintenance!!

Must go and pack now
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, they're still fine to walk around and on Monday it was painful to breath all the way in (that reduced on Tuesday and Wednesday), but breathing in fully is still okay to do today.  But my general mobility is worse than yesterday - i.e., bending down brings some pain.  Not agonising, but maybe 4 out of 10.  It's still okay if I prod it though, in that again it's not agonising.

I just got the maintenance note too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Big G - I'm sure you're on the mend, seems you've got DOMS in your ribs now.

I'm all packed except for fridge stuff, now my accommodation has changed to self catering that's another load of stuff to pack.  I've got loads of food, but typically I don't feel that hungry today, I expect that's as I upped my intake yesterday.   As I don't usually race in cold weather I've had to pack warm clothes too, hope the heating is good where I'm staying.

Here's an ultra that's starting today, a few folk I know doing this http://www.atlasrunning.co.uk/dublin-to-belfast.    I'm almost tempted myself but will see how my 24 hour goes later in the year first before considering it.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope you're on the road to recovery,good idea to miss the 10k's.
    Shades-The original one is still only sore when I press on it,little sore after the race but not much.
    I knew I was going to be very busy in work yesterday so thought I'd set my watch to count my steps,I worked 6-4 and it came out at 28000  :) 
  • Options
    Shades- Your right I'll worry about Alloa after I complete Stirling no point in trying to confuse my brain this close to Stirling.

Got my running number through the post for Stirling today got me all excited I wanted to go out for a short run. Looked out the window and the weather was awful, strong wind with sleet/rain and bitterly cold so rather not loose my enthusiasm went to the gym and ran 5 miles at m/p on the treadmill.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian   so you only have one sore achilles now ?

Steven  it's much more real when that race number arrives. Hope the weather improves for you.

Took five hours to do the three hour drive here. Awful rain on the M5 and M4 and endless queues. When I got past Swansea there was no rain but hit the rugby traffic. Accommodation is fabulous and I'm now scoffing a huge portion of cod and chips and I only ordered the regular portion. New chip shop just down the road. I need all the calories I can for tomorrows ultra.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, enjoy your fish and chips, and best of luck for tomorrow!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-unlucky on the drive,Hope the race goes better for you.
    I really have to press quite hard to feel the left achilles now so it must be nearly gone,and the other isn't as bad as the original one as I'm not running as much so hoping it doesn't take as long to go.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Good luck today Shades, that drive sounded awful but the cod and chips hopefully made it bearable!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I missed that about your steps.  That's a lot of steps - I didn't make 10000 yesterday!  Good news the achilles is easing.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, hope everything is going well after that horrendous drive! (Fish and chips sounded great, though).
    Big G - sounds like you might have cracked your ribs. Unfortunately there's sod all you can do if that's the case, other than let it heal.
    Ian, damn that's a lot of steps. I do wonder how many I used to do when I was teaching PE. I was up and down the stairs all day.

Full blown maranoia here. Funny pain in left foot (I didn't even run yesterday - I went to the movies), and woke up thinking I might have a cold although it seems I was just dehydrated after what must have been a sweaty night. I decided to do parkrun anyway to blow off some steam, so hopped on the tube to Burgess parkrun which is another new one for me but one my club uses for a monthly speed test.

It's a good course - mostly flat, with no laps but quite a few turns including one hairpin. I went out hard and tried to hang on, much like last week, and whilst I didn't beat that time, I still ran my second fastest 5K at 25:34 and got an age cat win. I also bumped into a couple I'd met at the Victoria Docks parkrun last week - their local had been cancelled due to flooding, so I had a nice chat to them after, and also to another couple of people and the RD. It's funny because I am a hardcore introvert, but I have no problem striking up conversations with runners. That's one of the things I love about parkrun.

I will be taking it easy from now on, I promise. :grin:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Cal, good time there.  Yeah, I have to say I did have a look at NHS Direct earlier in the week and I was wondering the same about a cracked rib.  It describes the symptoms that I have and says it can take 3-6 weeks to heal properly.  I hope it is not that, as if it takes longer than 6 weeks to heal, it could put my Dartmoor Discovery at risk as there's absolutely no way I could make the cut offs with it as it is.  Any faster than a jog (say 10 min/miles) and it hurts, and with the DD hills I'd be a lot slower than that (runners need to do 12min/miles to make the DD cut offs, and on Wednesday on the flat I averaged 11min/miles so there's no chance I could do DD with it as it is).  I'll keep an eye on it and decide what to do about future planned events nearer the time, but I am already wondering about Taunton next weekend as there's a 4:30 cut off at that event (on Wednesday I got to marathon point in 4:45, but that was muddy).  I'll just see how it goes and won't make any decisions about DD yet.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal / Ian, we mentioned a couple of months ago about maybe meeting for a drink on the Liverpool Rock N Roll Marathon weekend.  Are you guys still available?  I can do the Saturday lunchtime-ish, if that suits?  I'm going to see the John Lennon & Yoko Ono exhibition at 3pm, so will need to leave for that.  If it's easier to sort this offline, just drop me a private message on here or on Facebook and we'll sort something.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Thats another great time,well done.
    Big G-I'm good with anytime,not sure of your plans but if you're free on the Friday evening there's a very fast 5k not too far
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, I'm staying with my friend in Manchester so we'll drive over on the day. It'd be lovely to catch you just before the race, but unfortunately I won't be around on the Saturday. Likewise, Ian (and thanks!)
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Helloooooo Shadies,

What with one thing and another going on I haven't been keeping up with the thread so massive apologies if i've missed anything major..please let me know if I have.. I've been ticking over with my running but absolutely nowhere near the mileage I used to do or would like to do. Am trying to build it up but am finding things a bit hard. I have also lost my HRM.; I took it off to wash the strap and put it in "a safe place" - can't bloody find it anywhere now so may have to look into buying a new one. At which point the old one will obviously turn up  :#

Anyway - hope your ultra is going well Shades and good running to everyone else this weekend.

Big G - Can you get an  x ray on your ribs to put your mind at rest? Even if there's not much you can do at least you'll know.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Had a lovely day yesterday. Was a fair bit colder than I would have liked too cold for my running muscles. Ran the first 15 miles then switched to run/walk then later to walk only. I stayed with my friend who was doing her 550th snd is recovering from injury.  We talked our way around and finally finished in 9:42. I wasn't concerned about time as I had such  a soft pb for 40 miles that this was actually a pb for me and I was using this for long run training.  Fab event and we were so well looked after including pizza at the finish and an Easter egg in goody bag. My legs are OK but I have a small blister which has stopped me doing a recovery run this morning as I don't have another pair of running shoes and those rub the blister.   Driving home this morning. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, well done on the ultra.  It sounds like you enjoyed the event and I hope the drive back is okay.

MF, yeah I may take myself off to the GP later in the week.

I've decided to transfer my race number for Taunton, so at least I get my money back for that event.  It's not what I want to do really, but I suppose I'm trying to be sensible.  In hindsight, maybe doing 33 miles on Wednesday wasn't the best idea(!), although in fairness it wasn't really that painful when I was doing that event - if it had have been too painful, I'd have stopped!  I'm definitely not doing the 10K tomorrow.  I could probably get around Taunton in the cut off (4:30), but then if I delay recovery it could jeopardise future events that are more important to me.  I have Great Welsh the week after Taunton which I hope to do, but I'll just see how the ribs are.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- the cut off at Taunton is not enforced.  It just means that if you finish after 4:30 you're not eligible for any prizes.  You still appear in the results, I've never done sub 4:30 and never had a problem about finishing or being in the results. But if you're too sore then cancel/defer is the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Shades - PB and chocolate egg is what I call a win.

10 miles today. Had originally planned to do 12 but I was still tired from the parkrun and didn't see the point in thrashing myself. Going to take it very easy now.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Well done on your 40 miles,immense distance.
    Big G-Pity about Taunton but you need to decide which races are more important so good choice if you're not fully up to it.
    Easy 12 for me today with the wife,I actually took her to just over 12.2 miles so she knows she has less than a mile now and she can do the half.