Sub 3

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. I know & not too disappointed, just a bit flat. Average pace was the same as Wokey.
    Fitting Friday racing into marathon training is a bit odd tbh. 54M in 5 days including a 17K session with 10K@6:45s Wednesday (was going to be 17M with 10M@6:45) so no surprise really. Not slept well this week either.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No wonder you breeze marathons then, you do 80m in the taper (over 7 runs), I do 80m peak for a couple of weeks.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    April Marathon dates
    Paris - TT
    Manchester - SJ
    Brighton - UDS
    Boston - LMH
    Great Welsh - OO
    London - Wardi, TR, DanA, CW?,Joe, Jooligan, Al_P, Padams, BJ, SK, CD
    Let taper time commence or for half of us continue. 
    LMH - Good miles, I might keep my mileage next week ever so slightly higher. 
    Jooligan - Like TR said. 
    After a glorious day here y'day, sunshine and showers so 10 on the cards for today a few of these around 6mm.
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - Well done for sneaking the 10M PB despite complaining feet

LMH - Top mileage, are you do the UK or US version of Boston?

In Yorkshire with in laws for the Easter weekend, I got the bulk of the miles into the first half of the week so can ease off the volume and do more family things :-) So just a moderately easy 11M (6:45/M) yesterday and then a wet trip to York parkrun this morning. Nice to meet up with Wardi and (unexpectedly) Njord. It was pretty windy and part of the course was underwater resulting in a good leg soaking on both laps. Despite the conditions I felt pretty strong clocking 17:11 for 2nd (5:34/5:27/5:28/5:06). The wind put pay to any chance of a sub-17. 4.5M before and a mile after squeezed the mileage over 100 for the week.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    LMH - your volume of training never ceases to amaze.  You deserve a good return on investment in Boston.

Al_P - no expo this year (at £2k+ for a stand) it's barely worth it; we've been on someone else's stand the past two years, though I did offer our Pace Pocket product to your mate for his.  Must chase him up.
    Expo has changed massively; no Asics, Nike, Adidas, Mizuno, Brooks, Saucony etc any more.  Big brands are beginning to do the maths and £100k+ to be at an expo to sell 50 pairs of shoes just doesn't stack up any more.  Mostly charities and overseas races now looking at the exhibitors' list.

Think I've been on all the VLM starts over the years (Red, Red FGFA, Blue, Blue Champs, and Green).  Am back on FGFA again, but I would have liked Green - thought that as a V45 they might have stuck me in there.  No drama though.  Will have to miss out on elbowing Holyoaks and Holby City extras out of the way  >:)

Another 2h45 this morning; cold & wet and tbh pretty grim.  Must be a heatwave round the corner.
  • The less glamorous one Al.

I'd be amazed if it's anything like yours Dan but thank you. 
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    AL - another big week there !

Dan - every cloud......you get to line up with me and ode (and the special one).

Backed up yday 16 with 10 today. 345 for March which must be a TR all comers record.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OO  - didn't rain today, 1st dry run since Sunday or Monday, woohoo!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cracking run in those conditions Al P & likewise nice to meet up again.  At least three waterlogged sections (one about 30m long & quite deep) and a sand pit to negotiate while trying to ignore the wind and rain made it more like a XC outing at times.  Slower than last week but inevitable given the conditions.  It did resemble a mini thread 'over the years' day out with Njord & Caz and Stuart Little showing up.  Rounded it up with a couple of laps of a nearby park.

Dan.. we were saying this morning it will probably be 20 degrees plus at VLM  :)  Maybe Charlie has the right idea with his multi layer heat acclimatizing runs.  Nice run in the grimness BTW.

TR.. good double digit consecutive days there.

Jooligan.. nicely done on the PB.  More to come off it on another day.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice running folks & especially congratulations on the record month TR.
    Sounds like "fun" at York pr. Lots were cancelled again this weekend due to waterlogged/damaged courses.
    I too parkran today & managed 2nd in spikes at a muddy Upton Court. Not the perfect course for them as almost 2K is on concrete/tarmac. I was mostly able to run on the grassy sides but they were obviously slower & had to cross the tarmac several times. Much smaller & slower field than York.
    Hoping to get a steady 20M in round Brighton tomorrow morning.

• Big read back. Some huge mileage being posted which in turn will yield impressive results in April I have no doubts. 

In stark contrast March has been decdiely iffy with only 150 miles run total. I am consigned to managing my Manchester effort rather than an all out effort with various things creaking. I must admit to losing a little bit of focus as training stalled mid month.

Therefore, my plan will be conservative and see how things go. I'm pretty happy to be running regularly and have lost some ballast which should help with an autumn campaign. 

Carry on everyone, love this forums unrelenting commitment. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    My March total was 112: biggest of the year!!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Wardi - that sounds horrible.

Jooligan - how much racing planned in next few weeks?

SJ - you will get a ROI and a target to beat in the autumn.

Jools - will you build up for an autumn mara?

I was around 6m in to todays lsr and cruising along nicely when my hammy suddenly tightened right up from nowhere, so i walked home. Luckily I wasn't actually far from home at that point. I had best top for a while.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    The marathon month has arrived and Unrelenting, now that's a very apt word SJ.
    TR - yes time for a few days rest. Rest is all good at this stage especially with the hamstring. 
    199 miles for March. 13m this morning. Nearly ready. 
  • It's good to see you getting back into it Joolska.

SJ - relax and enjoy it, better to be not running as well as you'd hoped than to be not running.

Uhoh TR - hope a couple of days off and some foam rolling/stretching can sort it quickly.

How is your hip OuchOuch?

My legs seemed to appreciate the fact that I only asked them to do ten miles yesterday and were surprisingly bouncy this morning. 14 miles is probably as far as I'll run now until the 15th, I'll try to keep the mileage down this week which will be made easier if the weather is as bad as forecast tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm on the roller, hot water bottle and stretches. I've had a trouble free campaign up to now so a few zeros is no problem.

LMH - you are obviously as strong as ever.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Just a 5K on Wednesday TR. Hope the hammy loosens off pronto.
    LMH 110M week & a bouncy 14M bodes well.
    Great results from relatively low mileage OO.
    83M for the week after 20M very steady out to Newhaven over the cliffs from Brighton. Picked the pace up a bit in the final 3M which my left hamstring wasn't sure about. Currently foam rolling it.
    That's my 5th 20M+ in the last 6 weeks. One last one next weekend hopefully.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Al_P - well your tailored approach certainly seems to be working for you. As it happens I'll be introducing a few 200/200 reps at the end of my (what will be) 10m tempos soon. Nice coro 10 too!

Padams - you never know what can happen on the day if you're in the ballpark!

Dan - I was able to run on it too, but often unable to walk afterwards. Sounds like you're training well. Is your achilles all ok now?

A pb is a pb Jooligan.

Congrats on your March total Jools. Going in the right direction.

sj - as TR said, it'll give you something back for your training and an autumn target.

TR - bugger with the hammy but top marks for the positive attitude.

I've been sensible this week seen as it's really the first week where I've felt capable of training, so have rested where appropriate. Took Wednesday am off, but ran a 12m averaging 6:31 that evening (what I term an 80% run aka MP+30-40s), an easy double Thursday, Friday off, and an 8m tempo yesterday (averaged 5:54, but was getting quicker so would have been about a 58:1x 10m I reckon - first and last miles were 6:19 and 5:39 respectively). Off out in a bit for an easy 10m + strides, which will put me mid-80s for the week.
    Will hopefully be more next week (including Paris for fun).
  • You're still very quick for someone who's crocked, TT, hopefully that's the start of the road back.

Well backed off TR, the right thing to do but not the easiest.  

Some big miles going on from lots of folks.  My 22 today took me to 69 for the week, which is a lot for me.  11 miles westwards into a headwind, 11 miles return which was a lot easier, along the north coastline which despite being at sea level for sections managed to include over 1800 ft of climbing.  Easy pace, shelling peas now.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted much but been trying to read the posts. Can sense the relief it is nearly taper time for many of us - time for the cotton wool. For me training has been ok - usually managing about 60 miles per week with another 100 on bike commuting but seldom doing anything faster than plodding. 

I did my first race as a v50 today. After Fleet got cancelled I entered Kingston Half as it is local. Nice flat course but with lots of twists. Absolutely shocked myself by running a 1 minute PB and dipping under 80 mins for first time ever. Finished in 79:51 and first V50 - so really happy with perfomance especially as I felt I could/should have pushed on earlier. Really didn't expect to be running PBs at my age after 25 years of running!

Though need more training on the beer before Red Lion so plan is for a tempo session tonight down the boozer tonight.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Jooligan - Good that you only have one more race. Left hammy is offender here too.

TT - some good stuff there. I can't remember a campaign that didn't have a calf strain (No turbo so no calf strain this time?) or man flu. I will be concerned if it' still an issue this time next week though.

CD - jealous of your warm weather training.

Tick Tock- cracking run there, nice surprise, you must be in better Nick than your recent 3:00.

As the miles went up recently I stopped my squats/lunges/deadlift weight sessions, could have been a mistake.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR - yeah Abingdon's 3:00:03 still smarts a little. Your mileage has been impressive this year. Sensible to bail today and rest the hamstring. At our age we need plenty of rest and careful handling!
  • TickTock - happy birthday and congratulations on the PB and podium.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. good decision stopping, just as well it was near home too.

OO.. enjoy the rest of the taper.

Ditto LMH, sounds like you're in good nick.

TT.. good to see you back in the training groove, I'm sure you will enjoy Paris whatever result comes out the other end.

CD.. nice 22 miler in the bank, you should be well prepared if VLM turns out to be a scorcher.

Nice 20 miler Jooligan & congrats on the Park Run position. 

SJ.. sorry the training hasn't gone entirely to plan.  Hopefully you'll get a clearer run through the summer (if we ever get one!)

Tick Tock.. cracking PB as a V50, hope you enjoy the thirst quenching tonight.

21m in the bag today, I was going to do it tomorrow until I saw the forecast!  I was on target for about 19m but talked myself into a slight diversion to do a lap of the racecourse to make up the distance.  This did mean getting wet feet again but pleased to get it done.  Might have a beerio myself later.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Thanks LMH -shame you are not in London to give us a thrashing like you did last year with one arm (nearly quite literally) tied behind your back.

Wardi - I think you have earned your beer.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good work wardi, I'm in for the beer later tonight!

Tick Tock - 79 is more 2:50 So you have improved a lot since abo. I couldn't have run any further even if I wanted to today, it stopped me instantly......don't encourage LMH to turn up at vlm, we don't want her thrashing us.
  • Great to see the marathon list with everyone's races with April thanks OO for putting that together. Just 2 weeks left for me until Brighton. Details on this weeks training below. 

SC2 - My MK long run last Friday was with Andy Inchley. He's in great shape for London. Reckon if he can hold together the mental game then he is good for sub 2.55. 

So many miles being put in my all! Well done to most for just staying uninjured. I don't honestly know how you do it. I think it was TR saying he was Googling OTS. I do worry about you all quite unnecessarily I'm sure. You must all have super genes and the perfect running gait. Or more likely it's just practice and your bodies are use to it.  

Anyway this was my week... It felt like a critical week in the training cycle. Probably most will argue that at 3 weeks to go (rewinding to last Sunday) you can't gain too much more now that will change the outcome on the big day. The much banded around 3 week taper is common practice they would have you believe but I think that is too much time to start taking the foot off the gas. So I wanted to make the most of this third to last week before tapering with two weeks to go. And I think most (certainly those that I know in my running circles through the club and forums) would agree. So my target was to maintain my weekly mileage as in previous weeks and hit 45 miles but with a shorter long run.

Last Sunday I just did a slow and steady 10 miles nothing eventful just turning a legs over. 

Work and other commitments then stepped in making it quite hard to get any runs in during the first half of the week. Nevertheless with a 1 night business trip to Scotland on Wednesday I packed my running gear and committed to rising at 5 a.m on Thursday morning to squeeze in my second run of the week. It was - 2 degrees outside and I wrapped up to complete a 12 mile run up to the Wallace Monument in Stirling. I got to the top before sunrise and looked over the view of Stirling which was fantastic with the moon shining bright. First time I've run trails in ages too which was great fun.

On Good Friday I was back at home and did a steady 15 mile run around Leighton Buzzard with a friend. This included the Good Friday Easter service in the town centre as part of 'Churches Together' in mile 2. So Strava looked a little strange with a 49 minute mile!! :-D 

Saturday morning it was Parkrun at Milton Keynes. I decided to really go for it and despite wearing my watch made a conscious decision not to look at my mile splits throughout the run. I positioned myself at the front of the start and fell comfortably into 7th place. The pace was quick but I just made sure that I didn't lose the heels of the person in front. I then made a move along the flat canal section in the first mile and managed to pass him and move into 6th position. If you know Milton Keynes Parkrun you all know that it has a zigzag uphill section which is only short but kinda messes with your pace and flow. I focused on just running smoothly up, back straight and maintaining pace and then using the downhill section that immediately follows to overtake two more people. I was now in fourth place (the fast guys obviously weren't here as being this far up at MK is not the norm!). As I hit Willen lake and the flat section for the second half I had third position in my sights.  I was already blowing hard and knew that I was working at my maximum rate but this was my only chance to go past him and then try and put some distance between us so that's what I did. Having taken third the last mile was really hard but I really wanted to hold onto 3rd place. Its not a race I know and it all depends on who turns up but for me 3rd place was quite a big deal and definitely a motivator to keep pushing hard, and perhaps even get a course PB. I kept looking behind to see if the guy in 4th (who was now a different person) was getting any closer. I was maintaining a gap of about 10 metres. Everything was burning now as I rounded the bend and on to the final straight with about 200m to go. I held on for 3rd place and stopped the watch at 18.19 (Official time was 18:18) A new MK Parkrun PB :-)

Not looking at the watch definitely helped and I will adopt this approach on all of my Parkruns from no on. Checking splits can definitely slow you down as mentally we all have an expectation as to what pace we think we are capable of and we can sustain rather than pushing on to strive to go faster and harder.

So a good end to the week which makes 45 miles in total. And the 6th successive 40+ mile week. Really pleased with that. Now going into the 2 week taper I plan to do some shorter faster stuff this week with some club races planned. First up is the LBAC Easter Monday handicap race (5.5m) and Wednesday is a the 2.5m club time trial. I expect I'll do no more than 30 miles this week then I'll back right off and largely rest up in the final week. 

• Great training all! Brilliant PB TT! Feeling very fat and guilty reading all the miles being run. Did 6 along the seafront Friday, Bmth Parkrun with my kid Saturday and did a 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 pyramid with 60 secs on the way home. Then an afternoon beer festival! 

Couple of fastish miles around the Poole cricket pitch whist watching the kid do the junior Parkrun. Better do at least 10 tomorrow...
  • Hope you enjoyed the beers Wardi! Sounds as though you earned a chocolate egg or two too:-)

UDS - I think a read through would tell you that most of us do a two week taper. As for the good genes, no, it's consistent consistency. I used to break if I went over about 35 miles a week and ran marathons (slowly) off that sort of mileage before multisporting and getting used to the higher volumes of training. When an accident put an end to triathlons I gradually built up to similar volumes of training just running. Hope you have a good race today.

I'll miss the company this year TickTock (could be quite a lonely run for me in a couple of weeks looking at last year's results).

Sounds as though you're doing enough to offset the beers Simon.

How's your hamstring TR?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    UDS  - it' a common story on threads where folks say they are reducing volume/miles as they get injured when they run more, so they switch to running less but just drop a couple of easy days and keep the hard running (and the injuries), the other common thing you'l see is folks running too fast too often. Lots of easy running is what this game needs.

LMH - no magic recovery overnight, can't see any running happening for a wee while. Will see if I can far the fast bowlers fizz to have a look.