Options

Running first thing in Morning?

I was doing C25K around a month ago, which I got to Week 5 on, but ended up stopping to focus on boxing and lifting in the gym (either of which is done 3 times a week on evenings).
I've recently tried again (first thing in the morning to burn more fat) but have lost stamina on it.
I'm planning on starting the C210K routine. However the most suitable time for me to do each run would be first thing early in the morning, and also as roadwork for boxing.
My question is, am I okay trying to build up my runs if it's first thing in the morning? I've heard morning runs are harder and I personally find them so, so will I have much luck trying to build my running fitness first thing in the morning?

Comments

• Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    morning runs are fine, get stuck in is my advice.  I don't find morning runs any harder in fact its my preference.
  • Options
    Thanks for answering. I forgot to specify in the question but I meant on an empty stomach before breakfast.
  • Options
    Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have run all hours from 6am in the morning to gone 9pm at night. 
    These are the things I have through experience learnt make that possible.

1. Sleep. Get it. Go to bed early, get up early. Run

2. Eating. If you intend to run in the morning don't be eating past 8pm because    come 6-7am you will feel bloated and to be honest you may feel like the toilet 5 miles from the nearest one. You can run and race on an empty stomach. The need to carb load is a myth. Your stomach is not a petrol engine. Look up the wiki page on Glycogen and pay attention to the bit on endurance exercise. 

3. Alcohol. You cannot have a good morning run with a hang over. You won't sweat it off but you will feel like death. 

4. Warm up. Do it. Do it. Do it. Not stretches but dynamic movements that mimic the movements you will do on your run. I do a warm up every run. If you get out of bed and just start running you will break. 

Thats it really 

Its late and I need to read.

Not about running though. Done enough of that

Enjoy tomorrow morning.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    I’d agree with the above post.

Also: make life easy for yourself by getting absolutely everything ready the night before. 

The morning can can be a brilliantly peaceful time to run. And it is time that won’t get snatched away from you as can happen later in the day.