Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• nimpynimpy ✭✭
    Weather has changed to rain throughout the day and around 14-16 degrees. The temp I like, the rain not so much!
  • Morning all,

I've been keeping an eye on the forecast and it's looking like rain, amazingly after training through the British winter I seem to have mostly avoided the rain.

Any tips for running a race in the rain?

I'm a first timer so please don't assume I know anything?
  • nimpynimpy ✭✭
    steves-midlifecrisis, make sure your electronics are in waterproof baggies if needed, and if you have a lightweight waterproof running jacket wear that, avoid puddles if you can, make sure you have plenty of bodyglide on and other than that run as usual! I usually wear a hat or headband as my ears get cold and tend to hurt, but that's a personal thing! Sure there will be others with more/better info
  • nimpynimpy ✭✭
    my running partner has dropped out, :( so i'm running on my own, anyone else gonna be slowly getting round ?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I’ve only ever run a half in the rain, but it was my 2nd fastest ever and PB at the time. Don’t bother with a rain jacket. You will get soaked in sweat. Dress for the temperature - short sleeves will probably be fine. You will get wet but it will keep you cool. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I'm a former fan of this thread and making a glorious return to Paris this weekend. Hey Pistol, not sure if you saw the note on BCRC but me and my wife (Greg & Amanda) would love to join you for pasta & post race beer. If it's Pasta Pappa they are a bit funny about numbers and get very busy so we would need to book up for that :) but food is good.

Regarding rain I think it's fine unless combined with cold wind which I doubt. Extra grease on those softie bits (e.g. nipples) and maybe a pair of gloves and a buff, but don't overdress. More generally remember to trim toenails and grease up your feed.

As Orbutt says there the race is not as well organized as London. Rogue pedestrians, discarded fruit at feed stations and a few cobbles on the streets are the main hazards. The pace runners are also notoriously unreliable so you follow them, but keep an eye on your pace and target. I finished ahead 3 pacers a few years ago and still missed my target by 30 secs.

See you all in Paris! And let me know if I can make the guest list Pistol ;)   

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Osman2007 said:
    @Pistol101 I’m up for pasta. What time are you thinking? Will have 3 with me too if that’s possible? I was thinking to eat about 7.. gives me 12 hours before my 8.30 start but hopefully won’t be hungry later that evening!
    Eating later will be difficult in central Paris with the number of people. We'll likely eat at about 5pm.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    OO54 said:

Hello all, I'm a former fan of this thread and making a glorious return to Paris this weekend. Hey Pistol, not sure if you saw the note on BCRC but me and my wife (Greg & Amanda) would love to join you for pasta & post race beer. If it's Pasta Pappa they are a bit funny about numbers and get very busy so we would need to book up for that :) but food is good.

Regarding rain I think it's fine unless combined with cold wind which I doubt. Extra grease on those softie bits (e.g. nipples) and maybe a pair of gloves and a buff, but don't overdress. More generally remember to trim toenails and grease up your feed.

As Orbutt says there the race is not as well organized as London. Rogue pedestrians, discarded fruit at feed stations and a few cobbles on the streets are the main hazards. The pace runners are also notoriously unreliable so you follow them, but keep an eye on your pace and target. I finished ahead 3 pacers a few years ago and still missed my target by 30 secs.

See you all in Paris! And let me know if I can make the guest list Pistol ;)   

Yup i've got you on the list.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    @Steves_midlifecrisis I popped you a private message about the breakfast run, at the top of the page if you've not seen them before!
  • M4ttyM4tty ✭✭
    > @nimpy said:
    > my running partner has dropped out, :( so i'm running on my own, anyone else gonna be slowly getting round ?

Hey Nimpy, sorry to hear your partner dropped out. I'm representing the final Pink pen so will also be 'slowly' making my way round. Though the way I see it, Marathons are like Mullets... the party's always at the back. Just hope I get round in time to make last orders at the Frog Revolution. Someone save me a beer!
  • nimpynimpy ✭✭
    @m4tty keep an eye out for a tall slow scottish bloke lol no 29598. you may well see me collapsed somewhere lol
  • @kenno thanks! I’ll see what I can do.. think the 3hour pen is the first after the elites but I’ll get there extra early based on this information!! ?
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust the weather forecast! Make sure you're packed for all extremes as that high pressure could hang around a bit longer or the colder pressure could come through sooner.

There are lots of toilets in the bars and restaurants around the area. 

Is anyone else staying around the Arc?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see the traditional annual weather panic is in full flow.

I’m now relaxing in a safari park after having a great run at Two Oceans in Cape Town. Who knew snowy Scotland was perfect training for hot South Africa?

I’ll be thinking of you all this weekend. Safe journeys to all and hope you all have a great time. Good luck everyone.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    @Osman2007 if you want to move up pens you need to do it at the expo, you can’t do it on the day. 
  • @numpty another slow one here. Aiming to run/walk but cycling Paris/Roubaix the day before so my sole aim is to finish.
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I’m running Manchester this weekend about to book accommodation at Disney for 2019 ... does anyone know if it’s April 7th next year?
  • Getting quite excited about all this. So presumably from the above, the plan is to eat v early (since restaurant meetup time is 5pm). That's fine by me, but just wanted to check the time was right? Guess we can all get an early night after that.

I'm staying in Oberkampf and v much looking forward to eating a hundred croissants after beer on Sunday night. Preparations this year have been rather a mess and I've been something of a drama king/queen on this board so approaching it all with a pretty relaxed outlook. Good luck everyone!
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Andy-W- said:
    I’m running Manchester this weekend about to book accommodation at Disney for 2019 ... does anyone know if it’s April 7th next year?
    One of the sports tour companies was showing it as 14th April.

thisisben said:
    Getting quite excited about all this. So presumably from the above, the plan is to eat v early (since restaurant meetup time is 5pm). That's fine by me, but just wanted to check the time was right? Guess we can all get an early night after that.

I'm staying in Oberkampf and v much looking forward to eating a hundred croissants after beer on Sunday night. Preparations this year have been rather a mess and I've been something of a drama king/queen on this board so approaching it all with a pretty relaxed outlook. Good luck everyone!
    We're having a couple of issues with Pasta Papas! As in they don't seem to be the same people anymore! We've always had food a little earlier as it's busy in the area for a big group. Shall confirm soon. We've got a local on the case!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oops Pasta Pappa- what a shame. & many thanks pistol. I agree earlier is better for food digestion. I think my hotel is near the Arc off Avenue de Wagram. And we may sneak a shandy or 2...

thisisben- relaxed is good!

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    We've had to resort to plan B for Saturdays Pasta Meal which will now be at Auberge de Venise which is at Bastille (and just round the corner from Sunday's pub).

http://www.aubergedevenisebastille.fr/

We'll be meeting about 6pm - i'll sort out a map and meeting point close by.

Metro's are really easy to get around on if your not staying by Bastille.

There are 18 of us:
    Pistol101 x2
    Greg Penn x2
    @thisisben 
    @Steves_midlifecrisis 
    @LiamRunner7 
    Sarah F
    @Dodds 
    @M4tty 
    @YvetteRalston 
    @KellyR x3
    @Osman2007 x 3
    Tony E
  • 3PC03PC0 ✭✭
    Restaurant Saturday

Auberge de Venise
    2 rue de la Bastille

Meet up 18h15. Table booked for 18h30. 

How to get there:
    <span>Metro Bastille. </span>
    <span>Follow, Sortie (Exit) 7 - Place des Vosges </span>

The Hippopotamus Restaurant is on the corner, the Frog Revolution is just afterwards on the right. Continue down the small street.  The pasta restaurant is on the left, on the corner.

I think we should meet at the metro exit. Must find my union jack but I have a little pole. Get there early then met friends. Get there very early, wait in the pub.

Bring cash. Easier to pay. 

Pistol is organising the restaurant and he is doing a brilliant job. So please contact him.

Pastapapas has closed. Site has disappeared and FB page not updated since november. 
  • 3PC03PC0 ✭✭
    Weather forecast last weekend for Paris. On Saturday for Sunday, thunderstorms. Finally there were showers. Météo France app predicts if it will rain in the following hour. All clear. Went out, it rained.

If you want to know the weather on the day, wait until Sunday then look up at the sky.

OO54 ! It will great to see an old face on Saturday.
  • Thanks for all the weather advice and thanks for the Pasta organisation Pistol101 and 3pco.

I might not make Saturday night as my wife and daughter are now not arriving until Saturday evening, but hope to, I'll need to carb. load!

But I'll be at the Breakfast run on Saturday morning and definitely beers after the big race
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    All this talk of food and beer is almost making me want to be there this year. 
  • Thanks @Pistol101 !! Me plus my 3 are very grateful!!
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Weather is changing again! Temperatures back upto 20c!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Thanks Pistol- we'll try to get to Bastille for 6 for pre-race chat.

I guess the breakfast run is the official one put on by the organizers. Not sure we'll make that. Will certainly come for beers after the race though. Then a late flight back to Blighty.

Yes 3PC0 my face is a very old one :( Were you there on one of the previous meet ups?     

• Am I too late to join for pasta on the Saturday?  It'll be my husband and I.  no probs if too late, I've been a bit absent lately.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    hey everyone.  80% of Eurostar services are running on sunday and Monday.  They have published the list of cancelled trains on Sunday but not yet for Monday.